Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    As I was awed and inspired by this AWESOME WW film, and once again blown away by Gal and Patty, I figured I'd start a ❤LOVE❤ thread to be a counter to all the complaints and hyperbole flooding aome of the other threads. Please only reply with things you found to LIKE/LOVE about WW84. There are plenty of other threads for you if you didn't like the movie.

For me, I loved every moment, and they had me at Amazons. I will go in further at a later time, but some specifics I found awesome were;

Diana pushing an armored truck SIDEWAYS with enough speed and force to crash into another armered truck that was speeding away.

Diana being concerned for the lives and safety of EVERYONE around her. I point to the mall and to the White House, and to the Cairo toad scene. That is PURE WONDER WOMAN.

And OF COURSE, seeing Diana joyously soar through the clouds!

How about you guys? I've definitely seen some positive reactions, and that's what this thread is all about!
    Thank you for this thread. It is much needed and appreciated!

I loved so much about this film that I've already seen it three times. In no particular order:

1. Steve and Diana: their chemistry was just as magical as the first movie. Something I loved about the two is that they seemed like true partners and not just in a superhero sense. I love "filler" scenes that most people hate because filler scenes usually do so much to help us understand character dynamics and relationships. My favorite filler scene is when Diana and Steve are doing the clothing montage and Steve says can we keep the shoes. Diana smiles saying we can keep the shoes, and Steve responds YES! We can keep the shoes. There was so much warmth, compassion, love, friendship, and genuine affection in those scenes. They indicated that the two truly trust each other, listen to each other, and can respectfully disagree while still trying to come to a mutual resolution. It showed just how different they are "I would never wear this" but how they're always able to meet in the middle.

2. Diana: I loved Diana Prince in this film. Narratives about good people struggling to remain good in an unjust world are always compelling to me. Seeing Diana struggling with not giving up Steve was an aspect that truly resonated with me. First, when Diana realizes that stopping Maxwell Lord will cause her to lose Steve when she, Steve, and Barbara was talking to that one man. Gal gave a look that was equal parts apprehension, fear, and defiance. I also loved the parts where Diana told Steve she did so much for other people and all she wanted was this one thing of having him in her life. I loved that Diana knew what the right thing to do was, but she still struggled with the consequences of doing it. Then after being shot, beaten, bruised, and almost lifeless on the floor with Barbara speechifying to her, Diana still wanted to keep Steve but realized that ultimately, her selfishness would destroy her and the world. I found it to be completely relatable and the way to write a paradigm of good as less than perfect. Diana still wants happiness but as her mother and aunt taught her a long, long time ago: only accepting the truth can result in true happiness.

3. The Lasso: I know some people think it's cartoonish, but I loved the many uses of the Lasso. The way she fought with it, used it for traversal, lassoed lightening, used it to show people the truth, as a shield, to catch a bullet. I thought Jenkins used the Lasso in more creative ways than the comics or animation or video games have ever used it. The way the Lasso was used showed it and the bracelets are amazing weapons and shown why they have lasted for 80 years in Wonder Woman comics. I hope it inspires more creators to use the Lasso in as many imaginative ways, and I hope Jenkins continues to wow us in the next film.

I don't want this to be too long, so I'll stop here. However, I'll return with more of what I loved about WW84

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post

I loved so much about this film that I've already seen it three times. In no particular order:

1. Steve and Diana: their chemistry was just as magical as the first movie. Something I loved about the two is that they seemed like true partners and not just in a superhero sense. I love "filler" scenes that most people hate because filler scenes usually do so much to help us understand character dynamics and relationships. My favorite filler scene is when Diana and Steve are doing the clothing montage and Steve says can we keep the shoes. Diana smiles saying we can keep the shoes, and Steve responds YES! We can keep the shoes. There was so much warmth, compassion, love, friendship, and genuine affection in those scenes. They indicated that the two truly trust each other, listen to each other, and can respectfully disagree while still trying to come to a mutual resolution. It showed just how different they are "I would never wear this" but how they're always able to meet in the middle.

2. Diana: I loved Diana Prince in this film. Narratives about good people struggling to remain good in an unjust world are always compelling to me. Seeing Diana struggling with not giving up Steve was an aspect that truly resonated with me. First, when Diana realizes that stopping Maxwell Lord will cause her to lose Steve when she, Steve, and Barbara was talking to that one man. Gal gave a look that was equal parts apprehension, fear, and defiance. I also loved the parts where Diana told Steve she did so much for other people and all she wanted was this one thing of having him in her life. I loved that Diana knew what the right thing to do was, but she still struggled with the consequences of doing it. Then after being shot, beaten, bruised, and almost lifeless on the floor with Barbara speechifying to her, Diana still wanted to keep Steve but realized that ultimately, her selfishness would destroy her and the world. I found it to be completely relatable and the way to write a paradigm of good as less than perfect. Diana still wants happiness but as her mother and aunt taught her a long, long time ago: only accepting the truth can result in true happiness.

3. The Lasso: I know some people think it's cartoonish, but I loved the many uses of the Lasso. The way she fought with it, used it for traversal, lassoed lightening, used it to show people the truth, as a shield, to catch a bullet. I thought Jenkins used the Lasso in more creative ways than the comics or animation or video games have ever used it. The way the Lasso was used showed it and the bracelets are amazing weapons and shown why they have lasted for 80 years in Wonder Woman comics. I hope it inspires more creators to use the Lasso in as many imaginative ways, and I hope Jenkins continues to wow us in the next film.

I don't want this to be too long, so I'll stop here. However, I'll return with more of what I loved about WW84
    Yeah I agree with everything

The Amazon tournament.
    The tiara use (though, in retrospect, I’m not sure why Diana is hiding her exploits)
    All the innovative uses of the lasso
    The “invisible jet” (even though Zeus made it possible. Ugh)
    The showdown at the White House
    Diana’s warmth and compassion
    Pedro Pascal’s performance
    Kristen Wiig’s performance
    The reference to the Duke of Deception
    Lynda Carter’s cameo

EDIT: No sword and shield
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There's an article "In Defense Of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’" from Forbes.com by Mark Hughes. It's quite long but quite moving and has a lot to say about the spoiler-ish ending--putting into words some of what I felt about that part of the movie.
    Thanks for directing me to this article. I’m glad I read it.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Steve and Diana's on-screen chemistry and the ending. These two things totally saved the movie, and then some. Take them away and this is not a good superhero movie. With them, it's actually enjoyable, so long as you can get past the first half.

Ultimate Member

Steve and Diana’s chemistry. Actually Chris Pine in general.

Maxwell Lord, I ended up REALLY liking him as a villain.

The third act was better than the first films.

Fantastic Member

Did anyone like the gold armor? Would you like to see it return in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Did anyone like the gold armor? Would you like to see it return in the future?
    I loved it and thought it was beautifully handled both in it's original use as well as in the final battle.

Kind of a minor thing but I actually like Diana working at the smithosonian. Like, it's not something you usually think of, but I feel like it fits her well and can do a good job of leading to adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of a minor thing but I actually like Diana working at the smithosonian. Like, it's not something you usually think of, but I feel like it fits her well and can do a good job of leading to adventures.
    I actually thought it was a decent update/use of the "Diana Prince" identity even I have my preferences of Diana as a public hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I actually thought it was a decent update/use of the "Diana Prince" identity even I have my preferences of Diana as a public hero.
    Same here, though I don't mind Diana Prince .

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post

Agreed 100%
    I have seen the movie a second time and I must say I appreciated more than the first time.
    The jet through fireworks is now one of my all time favorite scenes in the genre movies and the music which accompanies the scene is magical.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

All of the above things yes, but this most especially. I miss the Diana Prince aspect in the comics and all the things it affords her from lifestyle to relationships. I also loved the uses of the lasso and like has been stated above would love to see this kind of diversity back in the comics.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Gal Gadot's still hitting it out of the park as Diana

Chris and Gal still have amazing chemistry

Pedro Pascal was surprisingly nuanced as Max Lord (Kristen Wiig was fine as Barbara)

The overall message of "You can't get what you want by taking short cuts" was pretty well done.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The first 10 minutes were amazing.
    Diana's characterization as a hero was on point
    I liked her throwing the tiara
    The flight scene was cool
    The invisible Jet was cool (if a bit contrived)
    Max Lord bleeding was a nice nod
    I liked Carter's cameo
    Pascal executed his role with conviction

This was also really cool. I loved the set, and it reminded me of the embassy a bit in the sense that it fits her.