The opening score

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

GaL Gadot's incandescent charm/screen presence! ❤️
    Chris Pine's breezy likeability! ❤️
    The Hans Zimmer score! ❤️
    A nod to the Duke of Deception! ❤️
    Kristen Wiig's revelatory performance! ❤️
    Lily Aspell's young Diana (as charming and adorable as Gal Gadot's adult Diana!) ❤️
    Diana's flight (made me smile, cheer, and cry)!! ❤️
    Asteria by way of Lynda!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Cheetah

Use of the Lasso

Max Lord

Astonishing Member

I LOVED the fact that the movie was one big throwback/homage to a bygone era of superhero films - the Christopher Reeve Superman films in particular, but also with bits of Batman Returns thrown in. Not to mention being a throwback to the kind of fun wacky Silver Age comic-book hijinks that are rare to find these days. Not every superhero film needs to be a masterpiece like TDK, or be crafted with machine-like precision to appeal to the widest possible audience like an MCU film. Sometimes, its okay for a superhero movie to just be...sheerunadulterated fun!

In terms of specifics, well there's plenty of stuff to love. The score of course. Steve/Diana chemistry. The 80's setting. The opening Themyscera sequence. The mall sequence. Diana learning to fly. Great performances by Wiig and Pascal as Cheetah and Max Lord. A great wholesome message. And of course, THAT cameo!

Am I saying that WW84 should be the template for all DC films moving forward? No. Should the next movie go in a different direction? Absolutely. Does WW84 deserve to go down in history as one of the greatest comic-book films ever? Definitely not.

But I love the film for what it is, and wouldn't have it any other way

The themyscira scene
    The Jet scene through the fireworks (somehow recalls when Arthur and Mera go to Atlantis in Aquaman)
    The flight
    When she let go Steve (emotional)
    All scenes between Gadot and Pine - the iconic love story of Wonder Woman and Trevor
    The fact that the movie shows Diana the woman behind the superhero.
    Because it had Heart. It sends a message of hope as Superhero movies always should. Not dark and gloomy.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 12-30-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Ok, now that I have some time, I wanted to get into some specifics about WHY I love this movie. First and foremost, I grew up in the era of NOTHING Wonder Woman-related available except for the occasional Lynda Carter or Super Friends reruns on those rare occasions where we had cable. My ONLY source for Diana was in cb form, which at the time was being written by William Messner-Loeb.

Then came Justice League, and I was just SO excited that suddenly Diana was in the "mainstream" and had new action figures coming out. I remember watching the show and having a bit of an issue about how WW was portrayed, but after so many years of ONLY being able to read her adventures in WW and JLA comics, I was just happy she was on TV swinging the lasso and going toe to toe with Superman. It wasn't til adulthood that I really noticed all the "BatGod" stuff, and that was only because I felt oversaturated with Batman stuff.

Now, as I wave goodbye to middle age, there are a LOT more ways to enjoy WW, thanks in large part to Patty and Gal. And this film is no exception. It's like Patty decided to take all the zany-ness and camp from a Donner Superman film, plus all of the things that truely make Diana wonderful as a character and put them to film. The colors, the score, the little "wink wink, nod nod"s to the fans, all was enjoyable for me. I have sat through the movie 3 times now, and I'm even more in love with it than when I watched it on Christmas morning, grinning from ear to ear the whole time.

For me personally, I don't NEED to see WW tossing around aircraft carriers or becoming a shiny CGI cartoon who blasts through spaceships unscathed (looking at YOU Carol...). I LIKE it when superheroes have weaknesses. One of the main reasons I've always been pretty "meh" about Superman is because he's basically an untouchable god. Yes, I know, kryptonite and magic. Sure. But in the movies, I definitely feel like the idea that Superman outclasses everyone put together comes from way too "bro-y" a place for me to be able to get behind. I want Diana to be powerful, but not a flying titanium brick. I've always much prefered gliding on air currents by way of training and practice to outright Superman flight, as well. I like that Diana is powerful, but more than that, I like that she is SKILLED and disciplined. I feel like this movie showcases that Diana is not only a force to be reckoned with strength and skill-wise, but ALSO because of her intellect and cunning and ability to improvise.

All that, plus the underlying message that NEEDS to reach people in this cynical, self-centered point in time is why I love Wonder Woman 1984. And to all those who thought the message was too heavy handed or cheesy, I challange you to do what Diana does and really look inside yourself. Strip yourself bare, mentally and emotionally and REALLY look at your truth. There are so many walking around today, from every walk of life, who think their needs and desires are all that matter. This is why we need this message in this and any future wide audience-geared Wonder Woman project. Call it cheesy, call it heavy handed. That doesn't change the fact that it really IS only love, respect for others, compassion, and empathy that will change the world. And for those who would laugh or scoff at that sentiment, well, be glad I don't have Diana's powers, cause if I did, every single one of you would currently be in a degrading orbit around Venus.

Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**
    Last edited by rayray1127; 12-30-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Grammer correction

Haha. Don't appreciate that comment about Superman since I could easily tell a great story with Toyman as a villain where at no point is he in danger but everyone around him is, and the challenges he faces are about ethics and intelligence.

Loved your spirit for Wonder Woman though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Haha. Don't appreciate that comment about Superman since I could easily tell a great story with Toyman as a villain where at no point is he in danger but everyone around him is, and the challenges he faces are about ethics and intelligence.

Loved your spirit for Wonder Woman though.
    I get what people like about Superman, I do. But growing up hearing "Eww, you like Wonder Woman? She's for GIRLS! Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Spawn, etc. is better!" has given me a callous against any of the heroes and anti-heroes that were so popular in my youth. I find Apollo and Midnighter to be much more "accessable" versions of Superman and Batman, and much more interesting, too, imho.

Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    I get what people like about Superman, I do. But growing up hearing "Eww, you like Wonder Woman? She's for GIRLS! Superman, Batman, Wolverine, Spawn, etc. is better!" has given me a callous against any of the heroes and anti-heroes that were so popular in my youth. I find Apollo and Midnighter to be much more "accessable" versions of Superman and Batman, and much more interesting, too, imho.

Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**
    Spawn has fans? I jest, kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Spawn has fans? I jest, kind of.
    In the 90s it was a WHOLE THING..... For like 5 minutes. Lol! There were, what I refer to as, Image snobs. They tended to think that the "big two" publisher's properties were "lame". Except Wolverine, of course. Haha

I forgot to add the pre-WW84 closing credits flight. THAT was epic, beautiful, and majectic. #SoManyThings

Retired

There's an article "In Defense Of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’" from Forbes.com by Mark Hughes. It's quite long but quite moving and has a lot to say about the spoiler-ish ending--putting into words some of what I felt about that part of the movie.

- It was cool to see Themyscira and the Amazons again, and we got to see something akin the Contest.

- I liked the initial exploration of Diana's loneliness. I feel like if creators are going to make her hundreds of years old and/or active since one of the World Wars, they do need to acknowledge the toll it would take on her. It seems to me like writers wish for a Captain America type of thing where she fought in a World War and we just jump to modern day, but Diana obviously doesn't have the frozen in ice bit...so they just gloss over the fact living for a hundred years and watching friends and loved ones age and die around her should affect Diana. Making it all about Steve was mistake, but I really liked they addressed the gravity of Diana's immortality with her feeling isolated and reluctant to bond with people.

- Related to that, I loved that Diana has no regrets about her life. We've seen the "hero tempted to give up their powers or the job for love" story with Spider-Man, Superman, and even some Batman movies have had Bruce consider hanging the cape up to settle down. In most of those movies, especially Spider-Man, there's always this sense being a hero is a terrible burden and they really would rather just no do it anymore. So I liked that Diana, in contrast, actually tells Steve she has no problem dedicating her life to helping others even if she is lonely and alone. It's so typical to make superheroes dreary and joyless, so it's refreshing Wonder Woman doesn't see her duties as an unwanted burden.

- Gal Gadot in general remains a great Diana. She looks great, she sells the action well, and she captures Diana's warmth. And I think she upped her game in the scene where she renounces her wish.

- Speaking of looks, the costume looks great in this movie. I really like the vibrant colors and shine they added.

- The Lasso.

- No sword or shield! Good riddance!

- The invisibility power is definitely one of those pulled from the ass type of things, but I got a chuckle from the idea of Diana having powers she doesn't really know how to use. I think it was just her explanation that got me: "I only did this once about fifty years ago. It was a coffee cup. I lost it."

- Kristin Wiig was pretty good as Cheetah, even if the 'nerd to villain' tropes has been done. She didn't overdo the nerd part (unlike Jamie Foxx in Amazing Spider-Man 2) and she brought some good intensity when she turned dark. Others have pointed out, but I agree the Cheetah design actually looked good when she standing still or in close-up.

- "I'm happy with the TV I don't have."

- It's a joy to finally see Diana fly. Especially coming off the heels of her giving up Steve, her taking off and flying through the clouds was a great moment.

- Diana saving the day by appealing to people's goodness worked for me. Even if it was a bit hokey, that's why Wonder Woman is supposed to be. She sees the best in people and she strives to resolve things without violence, and even if the movie stumbled in certain areas, I appreciate they stayed true to this aspect of Diana.

Extraordinary Member

The final reunion between Max and his son was wonderful.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Finally got to see it and I loved everything about it really. Soooo much better than the first one which was good but not exceptional. This one works just more. When it'll finally be in theatres I'll go and see it again, possibly twice even !