Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default gwen stacy death diminished by spider Gwen and gwenpool?

Honestly i don't know. I couldn't no because they're both different character. But honestly i don't know.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

They aren’t the original Gwen Stacy nor are they pretending to be. So no, their existence doesn’t diminish Gwen’s death.

BANNED

The only thing that is diminished is the value of Gwen Stacy as a love interest.

I don't think people really want to see Gwen in that role ever again.

But then again, they never did.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The only thing that is diminished is the value of Gwen Stacy as a love interest.

I'll play devils advocate and say had The Amazing Spider-Man films actually be sustainable, there probably would've been a resurgence in people caring about Gwen Stacy as Peter's love interest.

On that same token, if you ask the average non-comic fan now, they probably think of Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen first rather than the girlfriend who got thrown off the bridge so I can see how people come to the conclusion that her presence "undermines" Gwen's death. Just the same I don't really care about the same story beats getting hammer in over and over again.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'll play devils advocate and say had The Amazing Spider-Man films actually be sustainable, there probably would've been a resurgence in people caring about Gwen Stacy as Peter's love interest.
    The only way the TASM movies could have been sustainable was if they didn't kill Gwen. And they wouldn't have had Gwen be the love interest if they didn't plan on killing her.

On that same token, if you ask the average non-comic fan now, they probably think of Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen first rather than the girlfriend who got thrown off the bridge so I can see how people come to the conclusion that her presence "undermines" Gwen's death.
    Gwen's death was a referendum on her status as love interest. The popularity of Spider-Gwen, a take on the character that was never, and is not, and will never be a love interest for 616 Peter owing to age differences...just confirms that.

I want to see an adaption that does Gwen's death and then makes the Gwen clone Ghost Spider.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    On that same token, if you ask the average non-comic fan now, they probably think of Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen first rather than the girlfriend who got thrown off the bridge so I can see how people come to the conclusion that her presence "undermines" Gwen's death. Just the same I don't really care about the same story beats getting hammer in over and over again.
    Before Spider-Gwen, the average non-comic fan would've probably answered "who?" before "the girlfriend who got thrown off the bridge." That type of thing was comic book trivia that only a reading audience would know.

If anything, Spider-Gwen has elevated the original Gwen's stock by association. The average Spider-Gwen fan is probably going to have some awareness of the original Gwen Stacy. And there was that recent 616 Gwen mini that probably attracted an audience that didn't exist a decade ago.

What Spider-Gwen has really altered is how Gwen Stacy is portrayed in other media. But prior to Spider-Gwen, Gwen Stacy was lucky if she had a cameo appearance. The significant role that she played in Spectacular and the Amazing films were exceptions. So instead of adaptations of the love interest Gwen Stacy appearing rarely, we get a version of Gwen that essentially functions as an entirely new character. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 12-30-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Speak for yourself, buddy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

You know perfectly well there are people who do, so I can only imagine that your statement was of a provocative nature.

As much as Marvel may try, there's still some of us who were around in the 70's to read those comics and still remember what her role was. They may clone her, substitute her, smear her, diminish her relationship and plague the MU with alternate versions, but some of us can still tell her apart.

Gwen's death was a referendum on her status as love interest.
    How come?

That's gatekeeping pure and simple.

It has no place here and you should take these words back. Anyone who knows Spider-Man from a toy/sticker/beanie their parents got for them when they were kids is a Spider-Man fan, period. End of discussion. For a ton of people, the PS4 game is their introduction to Spider-Man, no Gwen Stacy there, not even a reference. Are those people not Spider-Man fans?
    Spider-Man is a character with its history, and that history has only been completely told in the 616 comics. Everything else are versions aimed at different markets were either the character has been edited or its history simply stripped bare. Pure and simple.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 01-27-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    They aren’t the original Gwen Stacy nor are they pretending to be. So no, their existence doesn’t diminish Gwen’s death.
    All the clones and retcons soured people on Gwen Stacy LONG before alternate timeline Gwens and stuff. So yeah, no.

I don't think it diminishes her. If anything, it emphasizes the loss.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't have a problem with Gwenpool. Marvel established she's just some crazy blonde chick.

But with Spider-Gwen it still feels like they're pushing the "It's Peter's former GF with his powers" instead of trying more to deviate her from the 616 Gwen and become someone like Ben or Kaine.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don't have a problem with Gwenpool. Marvel established she's just some crazy blonde chick.

But with Spider-Gwen it still feels like they're pushing the "It's Peter's former GF with his powers" instead of trying more to deviate her from the 616 Gwen and become someone like Ben or Kaine.
    Yeah, there has been a detectable shift towards that in the past two or so years. I feel doing this takes away from 65 Gwen being her own unique variant in her own unique world.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    But their presence in Marvel-616 does to a degree. both characters belong in their own universe, along with most of the x-characters who came to marvel-616 from other timelines, like Rachel Summers, Cable, and Bishop....

Well Gwen's death was diminished as early as the (original) Clone Saga, when Miles Warren created a clone of her to mess with Peter and by 2016-2017 (Clone Conspiracy) creative already had a free-pass (because a precedent had been made ages before) to do with whatever to pretty much any spider-related character, like nothing is even sacred anymore.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion