Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gwenpool isn't actually a variant of Gwen Stacy, her name is actually Gwen Poole and like Superman Prime she technically comes from a universe that didn't have heroes. She has the ability to warp her own identity in reality which allowed her to come to the universe of comics that she loves. She has knowledge of a lot of character histories because she read a lot of Marvel comics in her world that were historically accurate to the 616 universe. Her power to warp reality technically only impacts her and not other people, it allowed her to transport herself to the Marvel universe. In the recent series Gwen tried to figure out what she really was and where she fit in the Marvel universe, in her own mind, or in reality with Kamala's help Gwen determined that she is a mutant and she went to live on Krakoa.

I like Gwen Stacy aka Ghost Spider, because she is an interesting mirror of Peter Parker. I would say that Spider Gwen is about 10 years younger than Peter, or generally near in age to Miles. Gwen's story mirrors Peter's, she was the one bitten, and she lost her Peter when he tried to be a hero beside her and lost himself to the Lizard formula in his desperate need to help Gwen by being a hero too. I think the biggest difference is that Gwen's Peter had a lot more agency in what happened to him then Peter's Gwen Stacy did. Gwen's Peter didn't want her to stop being Spider Gwen, he wanted to be able to help her so he created the Lizard formula but just like Connor it drove him insane and Gwen accidentally killed him when she tried to stop him.

I like that Gwen and Peter can both understand the loss that the other one feels. The age difference ensures they won't ever date, and Peter can act as more of a mentor to her. It's funny but I think some writers would prefer that Gwen and Mary Jane from the same universe may end up as a future couple, which would be a fun reflection of Peter and MJ.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yeah, there has been a detectable shift towards that in the past two or so years. I feel doing this takes away from 65 Gwen being her own unique variant in her own unique world.
    Yes I also hate this. Her interaction with 616-Peter should be minimal, especially as they already estabilished very good storyline reasons why they would be uncomfortable around each other.
    65-Gwen was completely different person from 616-Gwen and I really never thought it like "oh man, this would be Gwen Stacy if she had Spider-Powers!" She was just the Spider-Woman, that her name happened to be 'Gwen Stacy' was quite irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    If anything, Spider-Gwen has elevated the original Gwen's stock by association. The average Spider-Gwen fan is probably going to have some awareness of the original Gwen Stacy. And there was that recent 616 Gwen mini that probably attracted an audience that didn't exist a decade ago.
    That mini was never completed. It was dropped from the schedule when COVID hit, wasn't finished digitally, hasn't been announced to be coming back, and is probably cancelled. So it probably DIDN'T attract an audience.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

not really diminished per se. Is it convenient? Sure. but it's the closest thing to "bringing back gwen" without fracturing fan culture and alienating some of the professional writers/artists out there.

But it's going to be inevitable that Gwen-- the real Gwen, the original Gwen-- comes back. She's too popular. Another time warp, "Crisis" or whatever it takes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ....But it's going to be inevitable that Gwen-- the real Gwen, the original Gwen-- comes back. She's too popular. Another time warp, "Crisis" or whatever it takes.
    I don't see actual OG 616 Gwen ever returning. Besides being divisive (as you stated), what purpose would her return serve that isn't already better served by other characters? MJ has love interest locked. Spider-Gwen has plucky underdog superhero friend locked. Felicia has ex-girlfriend turned close friend locked.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    not really diminished per se. Is it convenient? Sure. but it's the closest thing to "bringing back gwen" without fracturing fan culture and alienating some of the professional writers/artists out there.

But it's going to be inevitable that Gwen-- the real Gwen, the original Gwen-- comes back. She's too popular. Another time warp, "Crisis" or whatever it takes.
    Popular? We Sure? Her death is her defining moment unfortunately
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

JMS tried to bring Gwen back and Marvel denied him because it was the craziest idea ever. No, the idea they approved instead was to have the Devil cause a magic time-traveling pigeon to erase Spider-Man's marriage using a two bit thug and a brick as its method.

Therefore, I expect the OG Gwen to reappear right about the time it snows in Hell.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

In short, nah. I agree with those who've said it's helped bring the character more to the forefront of the public consciousness (that and the focus on her as a romantic interest in the Amazing films).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't see actual OG 616 Gwen ever returning. Besides being divisive (as you stated), what purpose would her return serve that isn't already better served by other characters? MJ has love interest locked. Spider-Gwen has plucky underdog superhero friend locked. Felicia has ex-girlfriend turned close friend locked.
    Things change in comics, occasionally - Spider-Gwen only being a relatively recent addition to the 'family' is an example of that. Bucky came back, Jason Todd came back, Superman dated Wonder Woman - nothing is ever 'locked', IMO.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    JMS tried to bring Gwen back and Marvel denied him because it was the craziest idea ever. No, the idea they approved instead was to have the Devil cause a magic time-traveling pigeon to erase Spider-Man's marriage using a two bit thug and a brick as its method.

I mean, yes and no. JMS pitch for OMD would've involved a full on reboot of Spider-man where Gwen never died.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, yes and no. JMS pitch for OMD would've involved a full on reboot of Spider-man where Gwen never died.
    I know others will disagree but I think this could have proven far more interesting than the half-assed soft reboot we got.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Not really a reboot anymore than what we got was. It just would have retroactively changed things farther back than the spider-marriage.

The JMS plan would have been harder for the fan base to swallow, thats for sure. With OMD, all thats thrown into question is the 1990s, an era that is largely fraught with controversy and bad stories.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not really a reboot anymore than what we got was. It just would have retroactively changed things farther back than the spider-marriage.

The JMS plan would have been harder for the fan base to swallow, thats for sure. With OMD, all thats thrown into question is the 1990s, an era that is largely fraught with controversy and bad stories.
    Marvel will never clarify what the impact of OMD was on MJ's pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    It's funny but I think some writers would prefer that Gwen and Mary Jane from the same universe may end up as a future couple, which would be a fun reflection of Peter and MJ.
    Thought that the Spider-Gwen version of MJ wasn't very well liked and pairing Spider-Gwen with Miles was a more popular idea. That said, can't say I'd object to Spider-Gwen and and MJ as a couple.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Nevermind, Rachel Grey explained it and I thought that was the case about Gwen Pool. Cool.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I dont think alternate versions of characters diminish the original at all. Dead or Alive. I will use Dc as an example because they have a vast else worlds. Red Sun Superman being a communist rather then standing for Truth justice and The American way could have easily diminished the main stream Superman. But it was a whole new character with a great story. I have only read a few Spider Gwen stories. But I have enjoyed them.

And lets be honest. 161 Gwen was never meant to be a prop that had run her course. It does not say much for a character when their biggest story is the one in which they died. Like the first Captain Marvel. The Death of Captain Marvel is his defining story. I really cant remember much about him other then that story.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.