Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Amazing Spider-Man 55 (Spoilers)

Okay, what did you all think?
    I think it’s going to take me a little while to compose what I’m thinking about it all. It’s easy to get frustrated when it’s been coming as fast paced as it has without taking into account the grander picture.

But...quite frankly, that wasn’t an end of an ark.
    I think 56 & 57 are what could make/ruin this ark, so I’m going to have to wait and see. There’s just too much to pick up on to warrant calling this the end of a story.

Spencer writes a great Norman. The OMD stuff is real, but still dangling over us like a carrot.

So for now my thoughts verge on “meh” and it’ll really be solidified by what happens next (which can be frustrating as that’s what I have been saying throughout all of LR)

Spectacular Member

I think at this point, Spencer is teasing that we will finally get the answers we want, but drags it so that we will continue to buy the comics, getting annoyed by each new comic but also curious what will happen next, and so we buy it, and it keep dragging and we keep buying, and the more we enjoy this once we see the full picture.

Fantastic Member

So Harry is torturing Peter because of OMD? But he won't tell Peter and he wants Peter to remember on his own? Is this much true?

Spectacular Member

So basically Harry was in hell, but, due to OMD, he got back to Earth and now he wants revenge because it was forced to leave that beautiful place for a life on Earth with his son, but he only remembered how angry it was with Peter after acting normal for years ; I guess from now on this story will be only enjoyed by the few readers that still wish the marriage was back because it’s so nonsensical that I don’t know how a normal reader could justify it and enjoy it.

Astonishing Member

Was MJ just fridged or what?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Was MJ just fridged or what?
    Eh, she’ll be okay. I wonder if there big issue (was it 60) might revolve around her telling Peter what she knows (was in two minds about what she did/didn’t know)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Eh, she’ll be okay. I wonder if there big issue (was it 60) might revolve around her telling Peter what she knows (was in two minds about what she did/didn’t know)
    The problem with MJ knowing the whole time about OMD, and of Harry being evil all the time is all the retconning of past characterization that will be involved... reminds me of when John Byrne made Sandman a bad guy again after 15 years of being good and he actually made the excuse that Sandman was trying to trick the readers through his thought bubbles the past decade plus... oy.

Anyway, if OMD is undone I don’t care that much. But this was certainly a sloppy and somewhat unsatisfying way to reach that point.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I don’t think she fully knows about OMD otherwise she would have said so at the end during their talk. No, at most I think she suspects that she played apart in whatever Harry wants Peter to confess.

Nor do I think the Harry-Kindred situation is a straight forward as some believe it to be.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 12-30-2020 at 03:47 AM.

I knew Mary Jane would be the one to save Peter and the Order of the Web. Fisk is probably going to figure out Peter's identity (again).

What I can't figure out, and hopefully this gets answered, is if Harry was just putting up an act during the Slott era to Absolute Carnage. Like HypnoHustler said, if Harry's been evil for that long then his rekindling with Liz and Normie learning that his grandfather is a cruel man was a face-heel turn in character development. I hate that his powerful speech to Red Goblin might have been an act this whole time...

I learn own thing about this arc is to never rely on previews again. Harry was right about Peter leaving Norman without his memories although it's not that simple. Goblin and Kingpin teaming up is so weird considering I now more associated Fisk with Daredevil but since Fisk is the reason for starting OMD I guess that's why he is here. Well Mj is injured hey that means she can't do her Movie Tour and stay home
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

All-New Member

MJ handled this situation way too smoothly, it seems like it’s not just the fact that she remembers the deal with Mephisto, but she probably also knew that in the process, it would leave horrible after-affects like Harry becoming a demon. She made it clear that she knows that Peter has forgotten, so maybe they really are planning to retcon OMIT and make it so that she whispered in Mephisto’s ear for Peter to forget and only she remembers.

Fantastic Member

Ok. Just read this. As far as I can see, nothing was revealed. The OMD reference was just a tease by the writer, but that could just be a red herring. Even MJ saying Peter doesn't remember... that doesn't reveal anything about MJ's knowledge either. It wasn't even the end of the story so why market it as such? Very manipulative.

This wasn’t a bad story and the writing isn’t bad at all. But it just seems like one big massive waste of time. I mean, why keep on teasing OMD like this? I have zero interest at this point going back down memory lane with Harry.

Weird to think that this is the ending of Last Remains. Again, it’s not bad but the story has dragged on for way too long for me to consider it good as well. There’s barely any story progression in these issues. Also weak cliffhanger because we know nothing is going to happen to her.

Man, I want to love Spencer and this story so badly so it really is a disappointment to just read issue after issue hoping it will get better.

Also the advertising for this story stated that MJ would become a major player....Did I miss something? What exactly did she do that made her a major player besides getting blown up?

It’s crazy to think that we ended up waiting so long for this. In some ways Spencer’s run was all coming down to this. At the end of the day, it was “solid”. Nothing more nothing less. Just feel kind of empty.
    Last edited by RD155; 12-30-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think Norman knew that she wouldn't be killed. It was just a show orchestrated by MJ and Norman to manipulate Harry. That's how I read it anyway. Thought MJ might have done a bit of acting there to convince Harry that she was injured worse than she actually was. It looked to me like Harry was about to go ahead and kill MJ when Norman intervened.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 12-30-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    This wasn’t a bad story and the writing isn’t bad at all. But it just seems like one big massive waste of time. I mean, why keep on teasing OMD like this? I have zero interest at this point going back down memory lane with Harry.

Weird to think that this is the ending of Last Remains. Again, it’s not bad but the story has dragged on for way too long for me to consider it good as well. There’s barely any story progression in these issues. Also weak cliffhanger because we know nothing is going to happen to her.

Man, I want to love Spencer and this story so badly so it really is a disappointment to just read issue after issue hoping it will get better.

Also the advertising for this story stated that MJ would become a major player....Did I miss something? What exactly did she do that made her a major player besides getting blown up?

It’s crazy to think that we ended up waiting so long for this. In some ways Spencer’s run was all coming down to this. At the end of the day, it was “solid”. Nothing more nothing less. Just feel kind of empty.
    Yeah, but what exactly is the story here? I'm not sure we have a story until Harry's actions/motivations have been explained. I don't understand what's been happening.