View Poll Results: Is it time to make Diana a mom?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 28.26%
  • No

33 71.74%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

No for a few reasons, but first and foremost being they can't even make a relationship between her and Steve (the most likely candidate for the father) work for longer than, what, a year? Let Diana work out the relationship hurdle before we start juggling a child as well.

Not because single parents are wrong, no, but because DC can't handle a supporting cast and having her entire status quo changing every six months on top of superheroics and Diana's usual woes promises the kid gets lost in the shuffle.

They can't even get supporting casts and romance working for Diana and both are easier to execute on than giving the hero a kid. DC can't pull this off with her. No, not yet. It's not time.

Hell, Yara has all but replaced Diana in hype right now. Adding a kid to that will just double down and put her in Clark's shoes where she's a cypher to talk about kids and let them take over since you get that same great Diana taste without her baggage.

DC needs to show me that they can handle Diana and commit to a take before I accept them doubling up.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-31-2020 at 05:06 AM.

Honestly, if it's just to have Damian and Jon interact with the child of JL members, just have them play it out with Andy.

But my answer would be a hard no. Wonder Woman's comics are a mess and saddling her with a child won't help at all. It'd be super easy to sideline her because of plenty of bad tropes also.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Definitely YES.
    Other characters Batman, superman have kids, now Arthur and Mera have a baby girl who will takeover the mantle.
    It gives Diana a new perspective, new paths, new storylines. A child with Steve(no one else) will be awesome for the characters.
    The idea that she cannot be a superhero and a mother at the same is nonsense, its up to writers not to make it so. But the idea that she can't be, is outdated.
    Mera is a female superhero, she has a baby now.

So yes Diana should as well, enough being stuck to old concepts, think outside the box or comics would really end.
    Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I guess we still believe a woman can't do both!!
    NOBODY SAID SHE CAN'T DO BOTH. Stop making up stuff. You are all arguing with a scarecrow. Everyone here has been talking about how at this point she doesn't hve a stable continuity, and we at least need that before we jump into her having a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I guess we still believe a woman can't do both!!
    No - I believe it'd be nice to have a woman who doesn't want to do both. Who simply doesn't want that out of life. For whom parenthood does not beckon. And for that to be a treated a valid choice. Not selfish or like she's denying herself. But rather for the idea that a woman can be fulfilled without parenthood to be presented. Moreover, it's not just women, but people in general. And since the other Trinity members already have kids, she's the top-tier hero left to present being child-free as just as fulfilling a life-choice as being a parent. Variety - not everyone has to get married and/or have kids.

Also, I like it as a contrast to Hippolyta. Two women, so alike in some ways, but so different in others, with Diana not wanting what her mother most wanted. And neither of them wrong. Just different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    No - I believe it'd be nice to have a woman who doesn't want to do both. Who simply doesn't want that out of life. For whom parenthood does not beckon. And for that to be a treated a valid choice. Not selfish or like she's denying herself. But rather for the idea that a woman can be fulfilled without parenthood to be presented. Moreover, it's not just women, but people in general. And since the other Trinity members already have kids, she's the top-tier hero left to present being child-free as just as fulfilling a life-choice as being a parent. Variety - not everyone has to get married and/or have kids.

Also, I like it as a contrast to Hippolyta. Two women, so alike in some ways, but so different in others, with Diana not wanting what her mother most wanted. And neither of them wrong. Just different people.
    I'm starting to think you're right. It might be more interesting if she doesn't have one specially because of her origin.

Definitely not that for me. Donna is a grown woman and if she had a mother figure, it should be Hippolyta, not Diana. I, in fact, prefer them not being especially close, as was the case in most of the early NTT.
    This was due to editorial shenanigans regarding Diana's continuity not something born of natural writing direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This was due to editorial shenanigans regarding Diana's continuity not something born of natural writing direction.
    Even Pre-COIE? Doesn't matter why to me, though, as it was what was always presented on-panel. It made perfect sense with the background she was initially given (when initially given the name "Donna" in original Teen Titans) - she lived on Paradise island while Diana was the already-grown sibling who moved far away before Donna was born (well, before she was her sister, anyway). They were never shown as close, nor was there any reason they should be.

Also, I don't want Donna made into a satellite/supporting character for Diana. Yeah, I know she's been handled crappily for while now, as an independent, but I don't think putting her on Diana's "team" would do her any favors and would only cement her as an "always #2", which does not work for me. I want the younger gens to grow up and be just as amazing and respected as the first gen - and not to keep needing their guidance/mentorship/etc. because they were raised well and are now adults capable of handling the big issues just as well as the first-gen heroes are. I want her to be her own independent hero, living her own story and having her primary relationships be among those that get treated as her equals (by writers/fans/etc.), not her superiors/mentors. She's past that. And if she visited a mom, it should be her actual mom. I'd rather see Donna primarily in the mother than daughter role at this point in time (though they killed off her son and stepdaughter ages ago, so it's not happening, unfortunately). Similarly, while I want Hippolyta and Diana to have a good relationship, I don't want to see very much of Hippolyta actively mothering Diana. Not never ever, but rarely.

You put them together all the time, and there is absolutely going to be a hierarchy. And that's just not okay with me between adult characters. And it's worse between Diana and Donna than even Bruce and Dick or Ollie and Roy. At least they were parents and mentors to sidekicks and there's canonical basis for a lingering relationship of that type, even if I don't like it. Donna was never Diana's child or her sidekick, and still people want to make that the dynamic.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-31-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Even Pre-COIE? Doesn't matter why to me, though, as it was what was always presented on-panel. It made perfect sense with the background she was initially given (when initially given the name "Donna" in original Teen Titans) - she lived on Paradise island while Diana was the already-grown sibling who moved far away before Donna was born (well, before she was her sister, anyway). They were never shown as close, nor was there any reason they should be.

Also, I don't want Donna made into a satellite/supporting character for Diana. Yeah, I know she's been handled crappily for while now, as an independent, but I don't think putting her on Diana's "team" would do her any favors and would only cement her as an "always #2", which does not work for me. I want the younger gens to grow up and be just as amazing and respected as the first gen - and not to keep needing their guidance/mentorship/etc. because they were raised well and are now adults capable of handling the big issues just as well as the first-gen heroes are. I want her to be her own independent hero, living her own story and having her primary relationships be among those that get treated as her equals (by writers/fans/etc.), not her superiors/mentors. She's past that. And if she visited a mom, it should be her actual mom. I'd rather see Donna primarily in the mother than daughter role at this point in time (though they killed off her son and stepdaughter ages ago, so it's not happening, unfortunately). Similarly, while I want Hippolyta and Diana to have a good relationship, I don't want to see very much of Hippolyta actively mothering Diana. Not never ever, but rarely.

You put them together all the time, and there is absolutely going to be a hierarchy. And that's just not okay with me between adult characters. And it's worse between Diana and Donna than even Bruce and Dick or Ollie and Roy. At least they were parents and mentors to sidekicks and there's canonical basis for a lingering relationship of that type, even if I don't like it. Donna was never Diana's child or her sidekick, and still people want to make that the dynamic.
    Being a number 2 to Diana would be a vast improvement over what Donna has been for the past several years. She's never even been independent. When she isn't with Diana, she's with the Titans. The few times Donna's been in the WW books (barring the New 52 Finch run), she's been treated well.

To the OP, I'm sort of divided on this idea. I think a story like this can work but I feel it would be best to hold off on doing it until a really good take on it is planned. Doing it just because Superman and Batman already have a child is the easiest way for it to fail and we've already had one member of Diana's blood family go over like a lead balloon.

technically Gal Gadot is already a other

Having a child isn't something Diana would be opposed to given her character. The only real question would be eho her lover would be. It'd have to be someone she loved and wanted to start a family with. That's more of the hang up then anything else.

Or they could go the Superman Red Sun route, in which cas she'd have to adopt
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Diana barely gets the attention she needs as is right now...she dont need a child to take away further storylines from her. IF they want..they can have Fury from E2 pop over and be trapped.

Extraordinary Member

No because I find the sons of Clark and Bruce annoying enough already.

If I have to listen to a Valeria Richards clone in DC I will gag.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    NOBODY SAID SHE CAN'T DO BOTH. Stop making up stuff. You are all arguing with a scarecrow. Everyone here has been talking about how at this point she doesn't hve a stable continuity, and we at least need that before we jump into her having a kid.
    Agreed, she definitely needs a stable continuity and afterwards yes having a child.
    But the very idea as I read that a child will take of attention from her sorry is nonsense. Just as being some sort of a nun because of her origin, she left that origin to be into the world. Motherhood will not diminish her, on the contrary it will bring to the surface new traits of her. But first there need to be some changes for that to happen.

Honestly reading some comments make Dan Didio pale in comparison, he was the one who claimed that heroes can't have a happy private life, which is Idiotic besides limiting characters.

How many REAL life heroes, those without superpowers of these fantasy characters, like front liners of all sorts, have a private happy life, yes they make sacrifices but none of them ever crosses their minds not to be happy in their personal lives.
    The very concept that a superhero can't be happy or have kids is outdated and has harmed these comic characters for a long time.

Agreed, she definitely needs a stable continuity and afterwards yes having a child.
    But the very idea as I read that a child will take of attention from her sorry is nonsense. Just as being some sort of a nun because of her origin, she left that origin to be into the world. Motherhood will not diminish her, on the contrary it will bring to the surface new traits of her. But first there need to be some changes for that to happen.

Honestly reading some comments make Dan Didio pale in comparison, he was the one who claimed that heroes can't have a happy private life, which is Idiotic besides limiting characters.

How many REAL life heroes, those without superpowers of these fantasy characters, like front liners of all sorts, have a private happy life, yes they make sacrifices but none of them ever crosses their minds not to be happy in their personal lives.
    The very concept that a superhero can't be happy or have kids is outdated and has harmed these comic characters for a long time.
    How did her origin make her some sort of nun?

Extraordinary Member

Definitely YES.
    Other characters Batman, superman have kids, now Arthur and Mera have a baby girl who will takeover the mantle.
    It gives Diana a new perspective, new paths, new storylines. A child with Steve(no one else) will be awesome for the characters.
    No. There’re right there no no no.

Take over the mantle? Bleh! I read Wonder Woman to read about Diana. Not her daughter who will either go through her rebellious “you dont think I can do it as good as you” or her self doubting “I’ll never be as good as mom.”

And not replacing Diana in the title for 12 months in DC’s latest shake up to boost sales. No.

As for Steve, being a comic book father (figure) with no super powers is a virtual death sentence. For evidence see Jor-El, Thomas Wayne, Jonathan Kent, Peter Parker’s dad AND Uncle Ben, Jack Murdock, Jack Drake...
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-01-2021 at 02:25 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor