View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denali

1 33.33%
  • Elliott with 2 Ts

0 0%
  • Gottmik

0 0%
  • Joey Jay

0 0%
  • Kahmora Hall

0 0%
  • Kandy Muse

0 0%
  • LaLa Ri

0 0%
  • Olivia Lux

0 0%
  • Rosé

0 0%
  • Symone

2 66.67%
  • Tamisha Iman

0 0%
  • Tina Burner

0 0%
  • Utica Queen

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Red face RuPaul's Drag Race [SEASON 13]

RuPaul's DRAG RACE
    [Season 13]

A brand new season, with brand new queens!!! Let us discuss, post reviews, fan art! OH MY GOD FAN ART! I love the fan art! Anything and everything. Obviously this will be a post-COVID season. How it will pan out, what will be effected, whether werk-room Ru will interact with the queens, or will it all be done via zoom... who knows? HA! But I'm very excited, and based on the promos released these are some amazing ladies. Obviously this is very focused on season 13, but post any drag race love (queens coming to your local clubs, new songs out, etc). But... please let's none of us attack the queens. EVER! Criticize them, yes, but let's remember it's drag! It's silly. It's fun. And while a queen can come off as "talentless" ON THE SHOW, that doesn't mean they aren't a fierrrrrrce queen in "the other real world" (as my teacher once said). 2020 has been a rough old year, so be kind. Please. To quote Alaska "for f*ck sake... it's just drag."

REGARDING SPOILERS!
    Please, please use spoiler tags! I think if we all wait till Monday to stop using them, that should be fine
    [as any die hard drag race fan would have seen the show by Monday, or avoided all on-line media, so they won't see it regardless]

THE QUEENS
    'WINNERS CIRCLE'
    Symoné. ["Top Toot" promo]. WON LIPSYNC. W. WON LIPSYNC. W. High. Bttm2.
    Olivia Lux. WON LIPSYNC. W. LOST LIPSYNC. ["Top Toot" ep#4]. W.
    Gottmik. WON LIPSYNC. ["Top Toot" ep#2]. W. ["Top Toot" ep#6]. READING.W. High.

Tina Burner. WON LIPSYNC. High. Low.
    Kandy Muse. WON LIPSYNC. ["Top Toot" ep#1]. High. Bttm2. WON LIPSYNC. High. Bttm2.
    Elliott with 2 Ts. LOST LIPSYNC. THE PORK CHOP. [mini ep#6]. High. Bttm2. WON LIPSYNC.
    LaLa Ri. WON LIPSYNC. Low. [mini ep#5]. Bttm2. WON LIPSYNC. ELIMINATED

TEAM PORKCHOP
    Denali. LOST LIPSYNC. W. WON LIPSYNC. Bttm2. WON LIPSYNC. High.
    Rosé. LOST LIPSYNC. W. LOST LIPSYNC. ["Top Toot" ep#3]. High. High. W.
    Utica Queen. LOST LIPSYNC. Almost 'Pork Chop'. High. Low. ["Top Toot" ep#5]. Low.
    Tamisha Iman. LOST LIPSYNC. Low. [mini ep#6]. ELIMINATED
    Joey Jay. LOST LIPSYNC. ELIMINATED
    Kahmora Hall. LOST LIPSYNC. ELIMINATED

https://www.instagram.com/artbycheyne/
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-21-2021 at 07:15 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Kieran Frost's "TROPHY HALL OF FAME"
    Every season, as well as keeping a tally of the queens who win, lose, high, low, mini-challenge, lipsync, etc... I also give out my own little awards: for the performance, runway, and (if it's great) the lipsync. I also give out a Glittered Raspberry if one queen, really is delivering some grade A BULLLLLLLLLSH*T!

TROPHIES
    8. Symoné. Lipsync Trophy. Runway Trophy. Lipsync Trophy. Acting Trophy. Runway Trophy. Performance Trophy. Lipsync Trophy. Runway Trophy. Make-Over Trophy.
    6. Denali. Entrance Trophy. Performance Trophy. Lipsync Trophy. Lipsync Trophy. Runway Trophy. Runway Trophy. RuSical Trophy. Runway Trophy.
    6. Utica Queen. Look Trophy. Look Trophy. Runway Trophy. Runway Trophy. Lipsync Trophy. Make-Over Trophy.
    2. Rosé. Runway Trophy. Snatch Game Trophy
    2. Elliott With Two Ts. Look Trophy. Lipsync Trophy.
    2. Gottmik. Promo Trophy. Look Trophy.
    1. Olivia Lux. Performance Trophy.
    1. Kahmora Hall. Runway Trophy.

Glittered Raspberry
    EP 1. NOT GIVEN
    EP 2. Kandy Muse
    EP 3. NOT GIVEN
    EP 4. Kandy Muse
    EP 5. LaLa Ri (the worst sowing outfit in Drag Race HERstory)
    EP 6. Kandy Muse
    EP 7. NOT GIVEN
    EP 8. RuPaul... for saving Kandy
    EP 9. Kandy Muse... playing Kandy in a turban on Snatch Game
    EP 10. the Judges... WTF!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-17-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

MEET THE QUEENS
    This is where we get our first look at the queens. We get 3 minutes of an interview and a chance to enjoy their first look. This isn't as important as your entrance look (because the majority don't watch the online videos) but it's still an example of what's to come. The queens who 'get it' are the ones who get far, so let's see who 'gets it'. Of course I could be completely wrong.

MY FRONT RUNNER
    DENALI
    "I'm a classically trained athlete, not a classically trained act-reassss."
    I loved the blue tip hair, and the look is very odd, but intentionally... so its very cool (ice pun intended). She talks about her drag being of the elements, of nature; and it shows. The coral is beautiful, without being a replica of Brooke Lynn Hytes' ice coral from "What's My Sign?" Pisces runway. The first Alaskan queen, which is super cool (ice pun intended). And as Alaska is the best queen from Drag Race, it just bodes so well. He's very thoughtful and eloquent in his answers, while still bringing a lot of personality. He's a little "frat bro" in his movement and phraseology (I assume from his years as an athlete), but in a feminine way which I find very unique. It's just... such a cool combo that makes me excited.
    MY FRONT RUNNER! There... I said it!

LOVED
    GOTTMIK
    "I don't even remember what the question was... but I love it."
    The first openly trans contestant (from debut) in a regular season of drag race, and the first ever trans guy on the show. And hopefully... that's the one and only time I have to mention it. Because this is about drag, NOT gender and anyone can do it (though yes, I'm very excited to have this wall kicked down, hail to the trail blazer). He looks polished af, great personality, confident, he loves Raja (so instantly you know he's a smart one). He's the youngest queen of the season, and to be honest... I could see him winning.

ROSE
    "What if they don't like it? OH MY GOD... stay tuned
    Cyndi Lauper dunked in pink, self deprecating the house down boots and referencing "the Lord of the Rings"... I mean!!! What's not to love. The outfit is very fun, it's nothing astounding but the details... the necklace and earrings understated, the shaping of the hair, the glitter behind the eyes. It's all very polished and I enjoyed it a lot. What sold this was her confidence. I laughed the hardest at Rose's video; it was just... honest. And that's what I'm drawn to, she knows herself, knows who she is and what she offers. And just... carries herself like a winner. But we shall see, confidence can tip into OVER confidence. I liked Brita in her first five minutes too *shade*

SYMONE
    "The ebony enchantress, the black goddess whose come to earth to savvvvvve youuuu"
    That! Hair! Werk! B*TCH! But then again Gigi Goode did it, and she's flawless. The colour pallet is great, so many accessories BUT they all go together, and actually a lot pick out the spheres of the hair. With so much body showing, you can get a little jewel happy. And the grill... I kinda liked it. She still looked like a lady; a polished lady. And she was so fun. The first Arkansas queen, and the soul of Chi Chi flows through her. I loved that she named her negativity "Buckwheat Joe". HAHAHAHA! Honestly every line was imbued with sass and joy and attitude. MY PICK FOR MISS CONGENIALITY.

UTICA QUEEN
    "How do I respond to drama? I shut down, get very depressed, cry on the inside... but... also... on the outside."
    Very... interesting. Her face is so intense. But I love this Mad Hatter Marie Antoinette lewk. It's unique. It's the kind of creativity I WANTED from Nicky Doll all last season, and almost never got. She's like a big, helium cupcake. Yes I got vibes of Katya and Divina de Campo... but that's a compliment. The personality will either be stunning or just... way... too much. But I don't feel it's fake, when it comes to her passions and inspirations I believed she loved those artists and studied them obsessively, I believe she's scatter brained but very thoughtful. I loved the uniqueness of her make-up, the half lips. Do I see her winning? Not necessarily. Do I see her in the final 5? Probably.

LIKED
    ELLIOTT WITH TWO TS
    This look has been done before, but I do love it. The ruffled fanning is very Trinity at the All Stars 4 finale. Adore the blue jewellery and gloves to accent the pink (pink and blue is just a great colour combo). Hair is great, makeup is crisp... but still a very strong jawline (manly). It's a good look; though gives me a little Merry from "the Lord of the Rings". She's honest in her insecurities, which is very endearing.

JOEY JAY
    LOVE this look. It's what Laila McQueen wanted to be, but never quite got to. It's punk, fashion, Pink inspired, b*tch. And I love it. The various purple shades, bought together with the silver and black (and little hints of red ruby). Ohhhh it's deceptively POLISHED! Now she doesn't wear wigs... and I love the confidence in breaking from the mold, but I worry it will fall into "I'm just trying to be true to my aesthetic." I can't become a crutch, she has to be able to add variety to it, or she'll become the next Madam Madness.

OLIVIA LUX
    Orange and ocean blue looks so good, and I love an orange afro. It did seem a little unfitted, a little too big. But oh well. A Jersey Girl, which I like, and her excitement is infectious. I hope she shines.

FILLER QUEEN
    KAMORA HALL
    It's very Las Vegas; but that's not necessarily a compliment. I've never been a massive feathers fan. I do love the hair, it's almost card and the stones on it are super fun. The all purple is very pretty and her skin is beautiful. She's no Plastique though, let's be honest. I'm always nervous when someone says "she is THE diva", those queens never win.

KANDY MUSE
    I felt her make-up was a little all over, all to close together on her face, near the wig. Not my style. I liked the outfit. I liked the colours and style, but in such a safe way. I did feel very "meh" about the entire promo. The personality, while enjoyable in small doses is giving me Vanjie... but in an intentional way. I didn't feel anything genuine from her. I felt a "personality". And I can't root for airs and graces. Also NO ONE inspires you in pop culture??? Do you research, queen!

TAMISHA IMAN
    The oldest queen at 42. She looks like a dwarven version of Jasmine Masters. Honestly this was messy. THAT TERRIBLE BREAST PLATE! The odd collar making it look like she had no neck, the outfit was so bad for being so basic. The skin tone outfit didn't match the breast plate, nor did it match the hands, and the face was a shade lighter than the other three. And that caked on make-up. Just a mess; honestly I couldn't not watch the neck line. And she says her fashion is haute couture??? Is it to early for a glittered raspberry? This is not a winner. Next.

LA LA RI
    Tamisha's drag daughter... and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. She is quite a mess too. I love the hair, the blended dye tones is very cool and I enjoy the colour pallet. But the make-up is... it doesn't work The coloring or the blending, something looks very bad. The outfit is better the more I looked at it, the jacket is cute, the tights are good. Her personality is very fun; AND she says she's a leotard girl. Good, she knows who she is, and isn't passing it off as haute couture. She seems cute and sweet and GOD I want her and her mother to lipsync battle. That would be so emotional!!!!

TINA BURNER
    The look... is giving me Nina West but with Jaymes Mansfield energy. It's not breaking the bank but I like the colour layers of the hair. Very old-school style, but revitalized in an exciting way. It's good. She just seems... bitter. It's all about the young queens, people on-line, the new queens, "I've done this, I've done that." Honestly... this gave me 'I went home first' vibes...

PROMO TROPHY: Gottmik. The look is stellar, truly original and amazing. I love the white make-up, with the body exposed; he's Elizabeth I meets Queen Ravenna by way of Star Trek. HA! Just so beautiful and polished and original without trying too hard (which is a great skill). The ruffles, shoulder pads, it's just stunning. Winner winner, chicken dinner.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-30-2020 at 06:16 PM.

S13 EP 1
    THE PORK CHOP
    It's a New Year, a new season, and new twist henny! (and seemingly new werk room, with a couch and performing area - I assume for Untucked and the mini-challenges). The judges are isolated behind glass, which is very different from others shows, so I approve of the ingenuity. The big twist this episode, however, is kicking off the season with SIX lipsyncs for your life. Each two queens who enter have to straight away go lipsync against one another, and whoever loses the lipsync... gets the porkchop!

ENTRANCE LOOK
    For most viewers, this is the first moment to meet the queens. It matters. It's the first impression, a chance to instantly show who you are... and it's a look you have a) complete free range of, b) the most time to prepare. It's right up there with 'finale runway' and 'crowning look' in importance. So don't f*ck it up...
    KANDY MUSE. A playful nod to her drag sister Dahlia Sin's denim entrance lewk from Season 12. I do enjoy that reference... BUT... a) why make your entrance look about another queen? b) if you aren't going to do it better, why do it? And I think Dahlia's look was far classier; elevated by a tasteful frayed effect (which Kandy lacked) and a cohesive bleached effect. Dahlia got my trophy for her entrance look last season. This is a pale imitation. I just think Kandy had too many denim patterns maybe, too many new styles and shapes that distracted rather than eclectically meld together. I did love the denim boom-box though, super fun.
    JOEY JAY. With an entrance line of "Filler Queen" you instantly know she's a contender. I actually enjoyed the look, it's a good variety of textures, while still being all in the same colour block to keep the attention on the feather sleeves. Unlike Michelle I don't mind chaps. Gloves are cool, the matching belt to the detailing around the body is great. Good look. And considering she says she doesn't wear wigs, I appreciated she's not inflexible in her 'aesthetic' and wore a wig that worked with the outfit.
    LA LA RI. The white really complimented her skin tones, and the dyed streak of lighter brown picked up the colour of the tights. Smart. Oddly I loved the assassin face mask, a gentle nod to Ms. Corona Virus herself. Again, smart queen. Glittered, of course. But she needed cinching, imagine that outfit but SNATCHED!!! Would have given us Dusty Ray Bottom's 'very best drag' bare bottom jacket realness a run for it's money. And her make-up was... better. Better-ish.

SYMONE. I loved this polaroid miniskirt with the orange wig, it was simple but so beautifully done that it made her shine. Showed off her legs, her arms, she just looks BEAUTIFUL!!! Much like Jaida Essence Hall, Symoné serves WO-mana! A true beauty for Season 13.
    TAMISHA IMAN. Okay. It's an improvement from her "Meet the Queens" look, let's start with that. I liked the red pant suit with the silver lining, matching her nails, the trim on her shoes/trim on her body and the glittered silver face mask, that was cool. But that HORRIBLE breast plate is back... though at-least this time it was covered with very nice mesh. I think the hair is what lets this look down. The hair should have either been a pussycat wig or long. SO LONG! Rich long! Expensive long. Expensive rich long. Hanging straight af down her body; shiny, opulently. A true statement. It was instead very flat. Meh.
    GOTTMIK. The face was a ten, her make-up is so beautiful and she knows how to paint true artistry. I loved it. The idea of the dress... getting more and more ruffled as it goes vertically across her body was very, very cool; and it did look good.. but I didn't love it. I think it was the colour choices, neon with pastel didn't work for me. Imagine that dress in (say) a white-to greys-to black fading, with ONE pop of colour to punch it. Far more stunning. The back didn't look as good either.
    UTICA QUEEN. To quote the late, great Chi Chi DeVayne "Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness gurrrrrl." It was SO MUCH! But actually... I kind of loved how crazy stupid it was. The tartan pants, with the pop-art jacket, the greet wig, the giant strawberry on her head, and every necklace and bracelet she owns decked across her body. I can't tell you why this worked, on paper it should have been a car crash but she sold the f*ck out it, and I loved it.
    ROSE. The hair was very Ariel Versace, so I think that put me off. HA! Was it very well put together, displaying a good understanding of proportions, detail and polish? Yes. Did it excite me? No. Not in the slightest. The tooth was so funny though, and well delivered... it gives me hope she might turn it on the runway down the line.
    OLIVIA LUX. Purse first. Tiny, little, small miniature purse first. I enjoyed the split ruffled dress, the colour combo worked, the figure, the 1950's Marilyn Monroe glamour. It was beautiful but... that hair. I get what she was going for, continuing the 'split' idea, but it didn't translate. Half a pony tail, half a curl'd Monroe bob. Completely wrong for that silhouette. If you are going for a famous influence, go all the way. Don't do a 180 just before it's completion.
    TINA BURNER. I'll be honest, until later, when she said it was a fire fighter outfit, I didn't get that. This, to me, is a fail. It's needs a good iron, it's too disjointed and it failed to convey what it was.... no! Thank-you. Nexxxxxxt! (I agree with Kahmora, hotdog is more fitting, hee hee)
    KAHMORA HALL. Jaida's little sister. Is the dress beautiful? YES. It's Bob Mackie! The colour, the cut, just the right amount of feathers contrasted with the smooth material of the fabric. Very polished, so incredibly chic. But that's all. An original Bob Mackie does not a queen make, I was told nothing about her by this look other than she spent money. It was personality-less.
    ELLIOTT WITH TWO Ts. I loved this! The red trousers, the crop top, popped by a gorgeous coloured jacket. The subtle blonde pink wig, right length; all executed so beautifully. She described herself as 'a house wife with a secret' and that's what she delivered. She gets her brand and presented it flawlessly. Bravo! And Ru loved it; so I clearly have great taste.
    ENTRANCE TROPHY: DENALI. LOVED this ice-skating look, the body was right, which is not easy to do with so many feathers (that naturally blouse). Glittered corset, matching the shoes and the tights was a wonderful detail. And that thin, thin, LONG pony tail which just bounces and swirls as she walked was excellent; the long curls either side just added to it. Whippit whippit whippit.

[PART I]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-04-2021 at 10:13 AM.

[PART II]

SIX LIPSYNCS FOR YOUR LIFE
    I... don't know how I feel about this as an opening episode. On the one hand I loved the gag. On the other hand... it's a tad repetitive, tells us less about the queens than a normal opening episode AND didn't produce a single iconic lipsync. Splitting the teams last season was a great idea, really set up each contestant, her brand, her aesthetic and gave us two EXCELLENT lipsyncs (Gigi Goode vs Widow and Jaida vs Lady Voldemort). Where as here... it just didn't excite me. It was no All Stars 4 "Ru-la-la-palooza" (which gave us Naomi's epic back bend, Valentina's kitty cat and the grudge battle of the century between Latrice and Monique).
    • Kandy Muse vs Joey Jay to "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepson. I did LOVE Kandy's "on" and "off" with her boom-box; that was a lovely surprise. Kandy definitely won this, but Joey did a good job. Kandy embodied the song better, it's about confusion, innocence, love and the feeling of joy... not dance breaks. That was Joey's first mistake. Joey's best moment was intentionally looking nervous during a choral segment. That said I DID NOT like Kandy doing the fake death-drop (which Monet X Change made iconic). Be your own queen, don't copy other people! Between her Dahlia's knock-off entrance look and this lipsync, I worry she's not very original.
    • Denali vs La La Ri to "When I Grow Up" by Pussycat dolls. I'm confused. It's one thing to re-use a song already lipsynced on Drag Race, but to use a pretty amazing lipsync moment seems... unkind. If you recall this was when Coco Montrese lived up to Michelle's warning that if you're in a lipsync against Coco "I fear for each and every one of you." Coco SERVED IT against Monica Beverly Hillz!!! Unless the producers honestly thought on day one these queens were going to do better than Coco Mother F*ckin' Montrese, one of the OG lipsync assassins... why do this song again? Re-use a failed lipsync! When is "I Will Survive" getting a redemption (sorry Dax! and Laila, ha). Annnnnyway... Denali was severely hampered by her outfit AND being on ice-skates, so I'm gonna hold off critiquing her "lipsync assassin" statement until I have more evidence, because even on skates she did a good job; and the 'whippet that hair' moment was great. But La La Ri OWNED it! She sold it all with her smile, it was so controlled, calculated. Effortlessly good. She definitely won this... but it was no Coco Montrese.

• Symoné vs Tamisha Iman to "the Pleasure Principle" by Janet Jackson. I'm going to be honest, I don't think Janet Jackson makes a very good lipsync artist. She just doesn't give you much to work with; it's lacking that emotional bite. We've had four Janet Jackson songs in the show, and none of them produced a good lipsync. And oh Tamisha... doing the Janet staccato movement was such a poor choices. a) this lipsync is not about 'who can replicate Janet best' b) if you can't do it BETTER than Janet Jackson... do not try for that comparison. It was such a misfire.
    • Gottmik vs Utica Queen to "Rumours" by Linday Lohan. This is the only one I disagreed with, I felt Utica won this... by a goodly amount too. They both did well, don't get me wrong and I had a lot of fun with it but I remember Uttica's pocket mirror, her horse trot, curling her green flapping quiff, spreading her legs, how she delivered "followed, followed, followed." It was camp and fun and silly... and I don't remember a single thing Gottmik did. Meh.
    • Rosé vs. Olivia Lux to "Ex's and Oh's" by Ellie King. What a great song, the best one of this lipsync extravaganza! And hats off to Olivia; from the reveal, to carrying her imaginary bags, to conveying the innocence of the song... Olivia delivered. I could make an arguement that her (seeming) in-built innocence added to the song, where as Rosé's experience gave her a jaded quality the lyrics didn't require... but ultimately no, Olivia slayed and Rosé... surprisingly didn't. It had moments of joy and polish, but I was rather underwhelmed.
    • Tina Burner, Kahmora and Elliot With Two Ts to "Lady Marmalade". They just did this in Drag Race Holland!!! Literally 6 months ago! And while I strongly objected to repeating "When I Grow Up" at-least that was from Season 5 nearly a decade ago... this isn't even 6 months old??? And like on Drag Race Holland, it was underwhelming (but such a gooooooood song, WHY???? TWICE!!!!). I think the problem with this song is you need to do the whole song AND have four distinct characters when you do it; to truly sell it. This just didn't work. Tina's vulgarity didn't entertain me (it's such lazy comedy), though she had good energy. Elliott was a little too controlled (for a song about attitude and letting it hang loose), and she pointed waaaaaaay too much. A Pointer Sista! And was Kahmora even on the stage? I forget. She was such a non-entity. Least interesting of the lipsyncs.

LIPSYNC TROPHY: Symoné. Symoné served it, so effortlessly. She gets it. Symoné just slayed, played with the words, the songs, the notes with her eyes, her body, she took the lyrics and made them her own. She gets the trophy hands down (if for no other reason than she made me enjoy a Janet Jackson lipsync).

AND A CLIFFHANGER!!!

Ohhhhhh, not since "the mirror crack'd" in All Stars 2 was a cliffhanger so juicy. RuPaul announced to the queens in the Porkchop Loading Dock that it's time to depart... but not just yet. They have a chance to return to the competition BUT FIRST... they must give one of their fellow queens THE! CHOP! "I'm the only black girl so... don't vote me off!" HA!
    To be Kween-tinued..

OVERALL
    An enjoyable episode, with some excellent queens; but not how I'd have started the season. It was never going to compare to Season 12's incredible opening episode, but it was still entertainment (it's Drag Race, of course it was fun). Just a shame that an episode built around lipsyncs... didn't have one incredible lipsync to show for it by the end. Sorryboutit! But I'm excited for these queens, excited for this season, NERVOUS about who is gonna get... THE! CHOPPPPPPPPP!!!!
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: B]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-04-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Kandy Muse. Ew.
    I'm living for Utica Queen's insane Katya vibes.
    I'm liking Rosé, Utica Queen, Tina Burner, Olivia Lux, and Joey Jay based on personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Kandy Muse. Ew.
    Ouch! How come?

I'm living for Utica Queen's insane Katya vibes.
    Such Katya vibes, really loving her. I hope that personality stays only endearing like Heidi N' Closet.

I'm liking Rosé, Utica Queen, Tina Burner, Olivia Lux, and Joey Jay based on personality.
    Who is your (current) favourite based on their look/aesthetic?

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I have to admit, I missed the first episode. I'm replying here so I'm alerted to new replies.

I'll watch the repeat and new episode on Friday.

Ok, it was hard for me to pick a fave, with seeing so little of them all, other than the lip syncs.

I'll see what episode two brings.

Kandy's loud and annoying. I hate that, plus her face looks like a little piggy. All that in addition to badmouthing Aja? No, ma'am.

I wasn't blown away by anyone's aesthetic, sadly. The best things were their accessories, from Rosé's glass not-purse to Denali's skates to Utica's strawberry fascinator to (ew) Kandy's denim boombox. I have to give points for originality to Symone for that polaroid panel dress but I don't think I *liked* it. Call me basic but Rosé's outfit *was* basic yet fun, not groundbreaking but it's the one I liked the most. And her attitude of 'WTF stuntery are y'all pulling' is exactly what I wanted to see more of, not the pageant BS we got from everyone else who got The Pork Chop. She seems real, and I look forward to whatever relationship she has with Tina Burner.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

FAN ART FRIDAY!!! [coming a few days late, apologies]

S13 EP 2
    CONDRAGULATIONS

"No queen is a loser on RuPaul's Drag Race. Now queens will be eliminated, but in the real world, at the club, or online, don't let anyone make you feel like a loser. Why? Because you're a winner baby!" ~ Mama Ru

Who is going to get THE PORK CHOP? The defeated queens (because let's be honest, we knew they weren't going to be eliminated) have to now vote out one of their fellow Racers based on... well... basically their current look and probably a little bit of their personality backstage played a factor. It's cruel, but SUCH good drama. I predicted it would come down to Joey Jay and Elliott with Two Ts; so was surprised poor Utica nearly got the chop. Literally, ha! But when the queens had to break the tie... poor Elliott gets the unenviable Pork Chop. I knew he wouldn't be actually eliminated, but damn... this was pretty brutal on his psyche. My hope is this doesn't put Elliott too much in his head, as we've seen with other queens who either rise above the gauntlet... or be crushed by it...

IT'S A NEW DAY IN THE YOU BETTA WERK ROOM...
    ...and this is where the competition really starts (well... kind of). Much like S12 the next two episodes are "Big Openings" for the 13 queens. First up: the winners. Much like the opening of S7 and S12 they have to do two runways for the (maxi) mini-challenge (as Katya would say); categories are "Lady Like Daytime" and "Vampy Night Time... that scream: I am a whore". THEN they have to write, record and choreograph a number to RuPaul's new song "Condragulations". Last season set the bar so, SO high; those are some big shoes to fill (literally, they are drag queens, they have huge feet, haha). In-between there is some nonsense around Elliott, giving us very Jinx vs Rolaskatox vibes from Season 5. None of these queens seem to like that Elliott was give grace, which seems... cruel. Wouldn't they want a second chance, if the size 10 shoe was on the other foot, after mere seconds on the show? Team Winner seems like Team Bully to me. I have no time for such silliness, so let's get to the mini-challenge. Racers... start your engines...

CATEGORY IS... DAYTIME DRAMA, MAMA
    TOOT
    Elliott With Two Ts. This was very sophisticated, the matching fur stroll to the belt, with the red beret; smoothly pairing the nails and the shoes and the earrings to the concept. It was all beautifully done. But Daytime? Maybe... in France... in winter... at 4pm... mayyyyyyybe.
    La La Ri. I loved the braids, that wig was everything. The dress... was nice, yes. It was a nice dress. A very nice dress, even. The end. It told me nothing. Next.
    Olivia Lux. Her hair and face are just so beautiful, that smile. I really liked the triangle sunglasses, and the fabric pattern was GORGEOUS! I just hated the feathered ruffles on the hem and sleeves, both in colour and concept. Ruined an otherwise lovely silhouette (very Shea Coulee camo-couture). Oh and that teeny tiny white bag, LOVE. THAT! A cute little bag, for such a cute lovely queen.
    Symoné. LOVED this open two-piece business suit, the patterning and colours, a cape for some whimsy, all so, so right. VERY 90s, she nailed it. The hair, the face, she could have walked out of any 90s Wall-Street drama and I'd have bought it. Gave me Angela Bassett realness.

BOOT
    Kandy Muse. Oh no. This was just... it gave me no daytime. At best it was "rich socialite not gotten out of her negligee by 3pm" vibes BUT the hair didn't match that idea at-all, and she had on far too much jewellery and accessories for that concept. That idea would have worked if she channeled minimalism. Think Brooke Lynn Hytes' caftan.
    Tina Burner. Completely disjointed. Too many fabrics, too many ideas, each one ruining the other. It was just so... ugly. And I'm already bored of these colours already.

DAYTIME TROPHY: Gotmik. This latex skyline with the sun and rainbow on his skirt; coupled with GRASS AND FLOWERS SHOES!!! Oh, what a delight. It was (pardon the pun) a ray of sunshine. Loved the big shoulders, the colours were so vibrant. It just made me smile. The make-up... meh. I thought his make-up was a bit of a mess truthfully, I didn't get the green with that look? He looked a bit like Tammie Brown. #shade

CATEGORY IS... NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME
    TOOT
    Gotmik. Very vampy, very bold. Unlike the last outfit the make-up GOES seamlessly with this look. The slit is beautiful and he sells it on the runway. Not sure about the pastie. On the one hand it doesn't not not work... but also sort of ruins the sophisticated vampy element. It was about 90% Elvia, I wanted full Elvia.
    La La Ri. I did love this combination; the red hair with chain mesh, pleather warrioress; it ticked all the boxes. Her best look yet; and she was sooooo fierce in it. You can just tell when a queen feels so GOOOOOOOOD in their look.
    Olivia Lux. LITTLE BLACK BAG!!! Oh, I'm loving that it's her thing, this is gonna bode for well for her all season. I loved this colour on her; that eggplant purple is her power colour. I wasn't wild about the shaping though, but it was still very beautiful.
    Symoné. THAT WIG!!! The short braids with balls on the end, in a deep scarlet, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I lived. I livvvvvvvvved. The outfit... I will say this: it was the most "I'm a whore" look (which was the assignment). I mean literally it looked like she just got off her knees before turning the corner, ha. But she sold the sh*t out of it, giving you everything and more.

BOOT
    Kandy Muse. It was an idea. I saw where it was going... and I liked the patterning on the outfit, the little devil horns shoulders were super cute. It... hmmm... the body needed work. No breasts. None. Limited shaped all over. The smeared lipstick against was an idea I could see potential in. But at-least this was far better than her first look. And that hole; so sloppy. Pun NOT intended.
    Tina Burner. Yellow. Orange. Red. Bored. Next.

NIGHT TIME TROPHY: Elliott With Two Ts. LOVED!!!!! Oh this dark circus ring mistress, Victorian devil witch extravaganza. ALL black with that shock of red hair was such a smart choice; in this beautiful mermaid dress silhouette with the HUGE feather on the top hat. Yas. Bitch. WERK! It's what India Ferrah wished her bizarre vagina spider pony circus car-crash had looked like in S3. #shade

[TO BE RU-TINUED...]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-11-2021 at 06:49 AM.

PART II

Back in the werk room, the queens de-drag. Kandy is pressed; and it's a whole bunch of nonsense about spies and "I don't trust her". Stupid. I don't have time for the bullying. Poor Elliott, in every shot he was to-the-side of the group, just not being included. And when it comes to the choreography he is not feeling like he's in a safe space where he can be himself and tell these queens "actually I'm a trained dancer and choreographer". And that was their loss, because the dancing was basic. To put it mildly. And then Gotmik has a moment when his lyrics played to the queens... hmmmm. Look, on the one hand I understand and have complete sympathy, I do, I get it... but... come on! You've watched this show, you knew the lyrics would play. What did you expect would happen in a dance rehearsal of the whole song you just recorded???? It felt produced.

CONDRAGULATIONS
    I loved this challenge last season, it's a great way of giving all the queens a chance to really shine and show the viewers what they are made of, who they are and what they bring. And this was SUCH A GOOD SONG! I was so impressed, it had a great beat, a strong verse, this really gave them everything they needed... and... I don't think anyone really did incredible. Considering three of the four queens in the 'top 2' last season made it to the final four... this wasn't the mic-drop it was last season. No-one gets a trophy; because no-one came CLOSE to Widow von Du's epic back bend, while eatin' them fries. #facts

Gotmik. The look is beautiful, love this varied sheer black on exposed skin. The wig is great, almost Dita vonTeese if she went true goth. But it cinches a little too much on his waist, I think it's either too padded on the hips or the placement of the black pattern just at the waist makes it seem more severe. Think Violet Chachki's 18" waist for 'Death Becomes Her' runway. Gotmik has a great voice, but the lyrics weren't very inspiring, or catchy as a verse. More matter of fact, than serving sass.
    Kandy Muse. I liked the look, it wasn't breaking the mold but it was good, the candy blue wig really helped soften the leopard print detailing. Sexy biker chick b*tch. Did she forgot some lyrics? And when she messed up the choreography, it showed. This was not good. Honestly I didn't understand 90% of what she said; in a regular episode she would have been in the bottom (Dahlia did better in S12... just sayin').
    La La Ri. The look was fine, loved the top part with black arm ruffles, but I have always really hated that sparkly green/black fabric. The lyrics were fine, but she performed it so well. Combine this with her lipsync and I think it fair to say she's a great performer; and one to watch if anyone ends up in a lipsync battle against her.
    Olivia Lux. What a voice! That face is beat, the outfit was just fine though. Lyrics were good, nothing to gag over but very well done and her voice was just so stunning it almost didn't even matter. I really like Olivia.
    Symoné. The look was fine, that baby blue is such a good colour on her. Her lyrics were good, easily the best; she was very fun, sold it. Best performer, best lyrics and that look to the judges at the end was everything of her verse.
    Tina Burner. Yellow. Orange. Red. NEXT! I think my problem with Tina is the same issue I had with Jan... she's trying far too much. She's giving Ru what she THINKS Ru wants, and it therefore doesn't feel authentic. I have no idea who she is, other than NOT a rap-tress. Just be you Tina, be you. Drop all this other BS. Good lyrics though.
    Elliott With Two Ts. The outfit was cute leopard print, didn't love the weird black side-ruffle thing; whatever that was (a belt that was really feeling it's oats, ha). She had a lot to prove, sold her verse, did great dancing, but the lyrics were pretty depthless; very standard 'I'm gonna slay, look at me, all these other queens wish, etc'... told us nothing about her as an individual (she should have leaned into "I have something to prove" and OWN that in the lyrics, the vulnerability would have been fantastic).

CATEGORY IS... LAME, YOU STAY!
    TOOT
    Gotmik. This was BEAUTIFUL! The face was very Raven, and the body was on point. It was such a stellar, fierce look; made all the better by that flowing coral cape. I loved it, BUT... it was so similar to his "Meet the Queens" look, I wasn't gagged. Stunning, but not one for the books. Such as shame as I actually think this is EVEN BETTER than his "Meet the Queens" outfit, but it's now (sadly) repetitive.
    Kandy Muse. It was cute, and a fun idea for lamé. Love the white detailing, not sure about the silver underneath. Her best look so far, she looked like Jesy Nelson from Little Mix.
    La La Ri. She was serving me RuPaul realness in the best possible way. Nothing groundbreaking, but she looked EXACTLY like a gold Quality Street, and I loved that. Very beautiful, if akin to things we've seen before. The purple shine glittering off the lamé was a delightful bonus when she walked.
    Olivia Lux. This was old Hollywood glamour, LOVED that green colour on her, the wig was sooooooooo good; her face is so innocent and stunning. She is really wonderful; I feel so bad putting her in the 'filler queen' section after "Meet the Queens". Like the other queens I underestimated her and she has proved me wrong in every category (look, performance, personality... she's a winner, baby!). I... didn't love the cream top though, for me it spoilt the look. Maybe had she had a dark belt to separate the two material meeting at the waist, breaking up the effect. It just looked like the outfit meant to have a jacket and she forgot to put it on before coming on the runway.
    Tina Burner. Silver Tin-Man air stewardess. FINALLY a look I like from Tina, this was excellent, and the ax purse with the red glittered heart was such a clever detail. A very, very good look, cohesive and all worked so well. Finally Tina, finally!

BOOT
    Elliott With Two Ts. I didn't like this, I've never been a fan of the half exposed/changing material bodice. It gave me Kahanna Montrese 'Katya inspired dress' vibes from S11. Just disjointed. The peppermint green was lovely, and the fabric underneath was too, I just don't like this style. Personally. Wig and make-up was great.

RUNWAY TROPHY: Symoné. LOVE! Oh yes, this is how you do it ladies! It is NOT EASY doing that silhouette and still looking feminine. Like Jaida Essence Hall's basketball look, it takes true talent to do such a masculine silhouette and concept, yet still be an ebony enchantress sent from the gawds to school the children. The platinum blonde Daenerys locks of hair were everything. The touch of the cut on her eyebrow, the colours on the lamé, the black lining inside the hood and the delivery were all a knock-out (pun intended). STUNNING! When RuPaul said "You've got star quality. You've got it kiddo" I reach for the heavens for an "Amen". Mama Ru was beaming with pride. This is how you do a boxer on the runway, Kenya Micheals. #shade

LIPSYNC
    "Break my Heart" by Dua Lipa. We already saw Gothy Kendoll and Vinegar Strokes lipsync to Lipa's "New Rules" in the first episode of DragRace UK, and while her songs are great, I'm not sure this artist will ever produce a GAG lipsync. Though this was very good; and truthfully VERY close. I was so impressed by both of them; And what I really enjoyed is neither did 'stunts'. I'd love us to go back to the Latrice Royale style of lipsyncing: know the words and the meaning of those words, and deliver the truth of the lyrics. I feel Olivia's innocence in her demeanor worked against her in this song, where as Symoné... she was a fierce fighter, stronger, tougher. The ease she took off her gloves, and cast them aside. The ladylike 'slip' of her robe as it came down... then cast it aside. Symoné just gets it, inspirational, playful, energy, stunning. Slay. Slay. Swinging her locks. THOSE EYES!!! How she pauses with them, looks left, to the heavens and we've back to quick-stepping across the stage in a joyous gait. SHE'S A QUEEN!!!!!! "I am feeling... CORRECT!!!" Love it.
    LIPSINC TROPHY: Symoné.

OVERALL
    Not a patch on Season 12's opening episode, and a little too much unkindness from the 'narrators' that made it less fun to watch. The overall group performance... just felt like weak-sauce compared to BOTH groups in Season 12. And it was such a good song too, there was no excuse. A majority of uninspiring looks, mixed with some bullying bullsh*t but coupled with a good lipsync battle... it was a solid episode (just sadly falls short in comparison to last season). Half the S12 queens would have easily slayyyyyed most of this group.
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: B-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-11-2021 at 07:38 AM.

I have to say, I'm not liking this format, for lack of a better term.

By this time we have seen what all the queens are capable of. We have yet to see what half of this group can and can't do.

I felt badly for Elliott With Two Ts, and Kandy Muse has not impressed me at all. She needs to go, and soon. So far, faves for me seem to be Gotmik and Elliott.

Despite Ru's pedantic 'there are no losers on Drag Race' spiel, I feel sorry for the 1/2 of the cast that's effectively been made out to be losers without a single challenge or runway. They've also been made out to be petty by the 'voting off people you've just met' forced drama. Putting Elliott (and Utica) through that was horrible, even by reality TV standards.