View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denali

1 33.33%
  • Elliott with 2 Ts

0 0%
  • Gottmik

0 0%
  • Joey Jay

0 0%
  • Kahmora Hall

0 0%
  • Kandy Muse

0 0%
  • LaLa Ri

0 0%
  • Olivia Lux

0 0%
  • Rosé

0 0%
  • Symone

2 66.67%
  • Tamisha Iman

0 0%
  • Tina Burner

0 0%
  • Utica Queen

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

artbycheyne
    https://www.instagram.com/artbycheyne/

The absolute best part of fan art is the glorious weekly work by Cheyne Gallarde. As a HUGE comic fan and Drag Race fan, his 'faux' comic covers depicting each episode is a joy. The ideas are so clever, they almost write themselves (but that's only because he makes the perfect choices for covers). So enjoy Ep#1 - Ep#3 of Drag Race season 13.

EPISODE #1

EPISODE #2

EPISODE #3
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I will still be watching, but I agree with the assessment of the whole 'mean girl' thing, but let's be honest, hasn't it been going on in other seasons?

Roxxxy Andrews, DeTox and Alaska as "Rolaskatox"?

How about when we had the "Heathers" vs. the "Boogers"?

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I will still be watching, but I agree with the assessment of the whole 'mean girl' thing, but let's be honest, hasn't it been going on in other seasons?
    Yes, and it was as ridiculous then as it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Unfortunately, I think there is a segment of viewers who enjoy this type of stuff. I will never forget PhiPhi O'Hara targeting Jiggly and advising her to go serious on a challenge, knowing she'd fail at it. It seems like every season we hear a queen that says "This is not 'RuPaul's Best Friend Race'" and I get that it's a competition, but sometimes the daggers coming out gets tiresome. Then, those fans go and put hate on the queens' twitter and FB accounts.

Oddly, I'm not bothered by the Heathers BECAUSE the "Boogers" called themselves "team talent" and were just as vicious back. It's more rival gangs that a bully group. "Rolaskatox" was very much Roxxy vs Jinx, more than anything, and Jinx won and Roxxy redeemed herself in All Stars 2. There was also "the Dream Girls" from Season 11, but again that was more Silky vs. Yvie, than a group... and Yvie won. So good triumphs again. So fingers crossed the Mean Girls get theirs and lose.

I think also the other groups from previous season I at-least saw talent to back it up. In the "mean girls" only Gottmik has talent, and even that is... I would say HEAVILY over-hyped. Outside of his meet the queens look and the repeated look in the "lame runway", I've yet to be impressed. I think doing a "best outfit they wore" at the end of the season would be cool. Kandy had that beautiful Comme des Garçons little black dress. Gottmik has the lame and Tina... currently... errr... has the business women look? Question mark!

Previously I've never found it ruin a series for me (like it currently is here), but I think it's partly because both Jinx and Yvie were slayyyyying the competition. Where as the Mean Girls are going after the weaker queens, not the front-runners. So it seems unbalanced.

Unfortunately, I think there is a segment of viewers who enjoy this type of stuff. I will never forget PhiPhi O'Hara targeting Jiggly and advising her to go serious on a challenge, knowing she'd fail at it. It seems like every season we hear a queen that says "This is not 'RuPaul's Best Friend Race'" and I get that it's a competition, but sometimes the daggers coming out gets tiresome. Then, those fans go and put hate on the queens' twitter and FB accounts.
    It's so frustrating, because THE SAME fans who go off on one, on social media, are the same ones who love the rivalry. The show does intentionally pit queen against queen but you don't have to give into it. Ben dela Creme said that about Darienne Lake in season 6, the edit really played it up (where as that was not the case, really... though Darienne said so many mean things). It's a mine field. I love the drama in UK, but I also think the queens take it better. They stand their ground and be FIERCE without being mean. I'm finding Season 13 just mean, and not fierce.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-12-2021 at 07:42 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

spoilers:
    I canNOT believe Kandy was in the top last night. I thought for sure she'd be in the bottom with her bland and uninspired character. Calling Ross a bitch in a challenge is really that special? No fucking way.

That lip sync was everything, though.
    end of spoilers

Honestly, I didn't like any of those queens as soon as they started forming mean girl cliques. Obviously Rolaskatox all have talent, but I was immediately team Jinkx when they got together and started getting cocky. And I really, REALLY didn't like any of the Heathers stuff. That came off as very mean-spirited, especially towards Alexis and Yara (and Stacey Layne Matthews).

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Honestly, I didn't like any of those queens as soon as they started forming mean girl cliques. Obviously Rolaskatox all have talent, but I was immediately team Jinkx when they got together and started getting cocky. And I really, REALLY didn't like any of the Heathers stuff. That came off as very mean-spirited, especially towards Alexis and Yara (and Stacey Layne Matthews).
    It's actually funny (to me) that if you think of queens that have been on the show, one who will quickly identify herself as mean or vicious is Bianca Del Rio, but when she saw Adore Delano struggling, she quickly offered to help her, as well as other queens.

Of course, I think it was pretty evident that she was going to win that season, she was that talented and put together, so she knew that helping other queens wasn't a threat to her.

Very quick thoughts...
    >De-BOR-ah, darling! De-BOR-ah!
    >As someone who is being treated for depression and has a fair share of interpersonal issues with how I'm perceived by others, I finally understand Elliott. And who would have thought Tina would be sympathetic and do soul-searching?
    >I think the 3 person segments all suffered for the 3rd person. Both LaLa Ri and Utica were disadvantaged. They could have made more of the roles but I think the roles themselves felt like afterthoughts and were largely unnecessary for the segments. I enjoyed Rosé and Denali greatly but Olivia Lux stole the show as the mime. Kandy? Ugh. She was half dead and lethargic, not 'acting'.
    >I'm looking askance and askew at Olivia. Is she really that nice or is she just strategic and a great actress?
    >I did NOT recognize Ts Madison! Hey, gurl!
    >Best runway: Symone. She's been consistently bringing Black Excellence to the runways.
    >I rolled my eyes so hard when I saw Gottmik wearing oversized pseudo-anal beads on her head and dress. How many times must we see this look on the main stage?
    >I was NOT expecting Elliott to throw down like THAT! Damn! I was hoping for a double shantay because Lala did a great job, too. The best lip sync of the season so far!
    >Another dance challenge next week? Didn't we just have one?

All in all, it was a fun episode where no one overly pissed me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

EPISODE 7
    Brief thoughts:
    - I thought, once again, Denali and Rosé did a great job, bringing layers and levels to characters that could be very two dimensional. Based on performance + runway, Denali should have been in the Top3.
    - Olivia did a great job, BUT had the best role of all groups and when she spoke it stopped being funny
    - PERFORMANCE TROPHY: Symoné. Just effortlessly good, as good as improv as she is scripted dialogue. A true star.
    CATEGORY IS... BEAD IT
    - mostly a poor runway, Denali and Symoné are the only ones who excited me.
    - Rosé had a great silhouette and it was beautiful, but the beads were too subtle
    - Utica's runway was a mess, and should have been in the bottom over Elliott
    - RUNWAY TROPHY: Denali. It wasn't flawless, it was merely the best of a weak bunch but still polished and elevated enough to be exciting, AND fit the category in the most creative way.
    - Elliott TURNED IT!!! Who would have guessed? I was super impressed, this was a great fight.
    - LIPSYNC TROPHY: Elliott with Two Ts.

OVERALL
    Bossy Rossy is a joke that was never funny and needs putting to bed. The least funny person this episode was Ross. He should have lipsync'd for his life. #FACTS A very uninspiring runway sadly didn't help this rather dull episode. Thank god a lipsync gave us something to enjoy.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C+]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-16-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Aww, just when I find out there's a Drag Race thread on CBR! But I feel ya.
    There's still my DragRaceUK thread, and that's full of joy. It's been an incredible season, and everyone I've talked to thinks UK season 2 is blowing this tedious season out of the water.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aceUK-SEASON-2

I just can't understand those who feel the need to message queens they don't like horrible things like death threats or racist messages. I agree wholeheartedly; these people doing that should know better from their own mistreatment. And unfortunately the queens of color are usually the ones who get it the worst. There's an insane amount of racist Drag Race fans and I just don't get it.
    PREACH! Season 10 is the best example, Eureka and Vixen were just as bad as each other, just as obnoxious, just as unenjoyable to watch... yet Vixen got ten times more hate. Now I hold no love for Vixen, but the double standard is real.

And oh yeah! I was completely shocked that they didn't use a disco song for the lip sync. Like... what were they thinking?
    See, that I sort of understand, because it might have highlighted (in a negative way) contrast with the music of the episode (which wasn't great), or be "too much" disco maybe? But seriously, Night of a 1000s... Diana Ross, Cher, Grace Jones... we're denied so much stunningness on the runway.

I canNOT believe Kandy was in the top last night. I thought for sure she'd be in the bottom with her bland and uninspired character. Calling Ross a bitch in a challenge is really that special? No fucking way.
    Same, but I find talking about the episodes sans Mean Girls is just more fun, so I shall endevour to pretend they don't exist (RE: Lady Voldemort from last season)

I don't know, Alexis was age shaming A LOT! And I think Manila was trying to help Stacey. The Boogers TURNED on Stacey in Untucked just as viciously. It was a toxic environment fueled by two rival groups. It wasn't bully. Shangela and Alexis was just as vicious back.

It's actually funny (to me) that if you think of queens that have been on the show, one who will quickly identify herself as mean or vicious is Bianca Del Rio, but when she saw Adore Delano struggling, she quickly offered to help her, as well as other queens.
    Of course, I think it was pretty evident that she was going to win that season, she was that talented and put together, so she knew that helping other queens wasn't a threat to her.
    Bianca knew what was up, she's so smart... her biggest threat was Ben, which is why she waited so long to help Ben against Darienne.

Very quick thoughts...
    >As someone who is being treated for depression and has a fair share of interpersonal issues with how I'm perceived by others, I finally understand Elliott. And who would have thought Tina would be sympathetic and do soul-searching?
    I felt so bad when she was talking about not having any friends. There's no sisterhood for her and it's sad.

>I think the 3 person segments all suffered for the 3rd person. Both LaLa Ri and Utica were disadvantaged. They could have made more of the roles but I think the roles themselves felt like afterthoughts and were largely unnecessary for the segments. I enjoyed Rosé and Denali greatly but Olivia Lux stole the show as the mime. Kandy? Ugh. She was half dead and lethargic, not 'acting'.
    AGREED on all points! I didn't mind LaLa in the challenge, I think Utica was... painful to watch. Coming in 3rd is often hard, as you have less time to set up the role, think Jersey Justice! The group with three was the struggle bus.

>I'm looking askance and askew at Olivia. Is she really that nice or is she just strategic and a great actress?
    I think she's like Ben dela Creme, a genuinely nice person BUT... she'll get her way, and isn't innocent. Ben and Olivia aren't innocent, they are just nice people who go for their goals without being unkind, but certainly being driven.

>Best runway: Symone. She's been consistently bringing Black Excellence to the runways.
    If she doesn't win, I'd be shocked.

>I was NOT expecting Elliott to throw down like THAT! Damn! I was hoping for a double shantay because Lala did a great job, too. The best lip sync of the season so far!
    I mean... let's not get crazy now. I don't want a double shantay for a queen who... just isn't gonna win. Let's be honest, LaLa was not going to win, her runways will always hold her back. She needs more time to grow and own her star power. Double shantays should only be for potential winners.
    >Another dance challenge next week? Didn't we just have one?

artbycheyne
    https://www.instagram.com/artbycheyne/

The season's terrible, but the fanart by Cheyne Gallarde is still stunning. Enjoy Ep#4 - Ep#6 of Drag Race season 13.

EPISODE #4

EPISODE #5

EPISODE #6

EPISODE 8
    Brief thoughts:
    - Anne Hathaway was so, so fun.
    - I love a RuSical, and I thought the ideas in this were good. Performances all a bit meh, as a collective. CREDIT to Jamal Simms though, his choreography was so good and that's not easy when you have to stay 2m away from all the queens, and have no back-up dancers.
    - Elliott had the worse verse, so I'm giving him a pass.
    - my Top3 were Denali, Rose and Olivia (Utica did very well BUT had THE BEST part, this was the Blac China moment, and she didn't mic-drop it).
    - PERFORMANCE TROPHY: Denali. She didn't get EITHER of the parts she wanted, and still SERVED IT! So funny, so energetic, this was a complete victory and I loved it! Also... I think the Russia Bots were one of the best parts, why did no-one want it???
    CATEGORY IS... Y-ELLO-W, GORRRRGEOUS!
    - I love the idea of the Mask, but Rosé needed a prosthetic chin and cheek bones, AT LEAST, to sell it more.
    - our first ever mediocre runway from Symoné? What ha-ha-happened gurl???
    - Utica's runways really need to be edited, because the ideas are all there, it's just too much. Too much!
    - RUNWAY TROPHY: Denali. It wasn't a gag-to-the-gag-gag-gag, but it was an inventive idea and that face and head-piece were the stand-out of the runway. She is just turning it week after week; and I think she should have won this episode!
    - 8 episodes in and we've only had 4 eliminations??? *yawn*
    - LIPSYNC TROPHY: Symoné. She is everything I love in a TRUE lipsync assassin. She's calm, she's cool, she doesn't resort to stunts and just lives. Every. Word! I really love watching her perform. 3 for 3. NOW GIVE ME THAT DENALI VS SYMONE FINAL LIPSYNC BATTLE!!!

OVERALL
    The second best episode of the season (after "Phenomenon"); not that much has been competing for that crown. My appreciation of Denali, Rose, Olivia and Symoné continues to grow (seriously, what a fierce Top4 that would be) and the runway was fun. Next week is Snatch Game. Meh. First time I've ever not been excited for Snatch Game. Well done 13, you achieved the impossible.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: B+]

I'm... finding myself not liking any of the queens that are left this season besides Symone. I'm not sure what it is about this cast... but particularly the obsession with Kandy is just... ugh.

spoilers:
    And OF COURSE my second favorite, Denali, gets eliminated this week.
    end of spoilers

I'm... finding myself not liking any of the queens that are left this season besides Symone. I'm not sure what it is about this cast... but particularly the obsession with Kandy is just... ugh.

And OF COURSE my second favorite, Denali, gets eliminated this week.
    Honestly this season has just been a car crash, sadly. I... just don't care. I feel nothing for nearly all of it. Denali and Symone are the superstars of it, the few bright lights in a world of darkness... and one has gone home now. Maybe IF Symone wins, the season will be more bearable to rewatch knowing the right person wins, despite all the stupidness.

The 'mean girls' have just ruined it. I am such a huge Drag Race fan; normally by this point my husband and I would have rewatched the season so far, numerous times (it's great for unwinding after work, as you relax, catch up on emails, etc). It's soothing. So far I've not rewatched most of it; that's how little joy it brings. It's right up there with AS1 and AS5 as a truly bad season. And sadly I see Ru's bias for Kandy and Gottmik getting them to the end.

All I can hope is next season the producers decide to start judging based on talent, and not who THEY THINK is gonna be popular. But considering Kandy is just like Silky in terms of favourtism... I think the show hasn't learnt it's lesson. I do feel bad, on some level, for Kandy. She honestly thought she would be beloved as a fan favourite (like Vanjie). That's a hard fall to accept.