Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

There are some other implications people are ignoring, Handsome Guy was already sniffing around Diana and attempting to talk to her. That's why she angrily said look I don't even know you when he/Steve walked up to her at the party, because it wasn't the first time. At the end of the movie it's clear they like each other and she'd probably give him a chance and if she did, he'd go for it. You can't "rape" the willing, especially a man because he'd have to rise to the occasion.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 12-31-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There are some other implications people are ignoring, Handsome Guy was already sniffing around Diana and attempting to talk to her. That's why she angrily said look I don't even know you when he/Steve walked up to her at the party, because it wasn't the first time. At the end of the movie it's clear they like each other and she'd probably give him a chance and if she did, he'd go for it. You can't "rape" the willing, especially a man because he'd have to rise to the occasion.
    Everything about this take is wrong.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

This is indeed the most ridiculous take about a movie that has generated tons of ridiculous takes. The most ironic part is that all these people online who NEVER care or get outraged whenever a real-life woman is raped or assaulted, are now acting all offended/outraged because someone decided that a fictional male was "raped" by Wonder Woman in a movie. Never mind that the body switch trope has been used in tons of other films without rape ever being brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    This is indeed the most ridiculous take about a movie that has generated tons of ridiculous takes. The most ironic part is that all these people online who NEVER care or get outraged whenever a real-life woman is raped or assaulted, are now acting all offended/outraged because someone decided that a fictional male was "raped" by Wonder Woman in a movie. Never mind that the body switch trope has been used in tons of other films without rape ever being brought up.
    I'm sure the neckbeards/incels are using any backlash that film has to their "advantage" but no, its practically 2021, justifying what happened as "just a trope" shouldn't fly, this film has a lot of problems with it and the people pointing them out aren't all incels or trolls or neckbeards. This ain't the take.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Taking something as serious as rape is in real life, and applying the word to a fantasy movie filled with fantasy tropes is pretty gross, guys. Maybe it's more sensetive in the current climate than it was taken in the 80s, but this is NOT rape. Calling it so is insulting to those that have suffered sexual assault for real.

So, the progressive feminists over at The Mary Sue are part of it too?
    https://www.themarysue.com/ww84-majo...-steve-trevor/

You can't "rape" the willing, especially a man because he'd have to rise to the occasion.
    really?

Myth: Erection or ejaculation during sexual assault means you “really wanted it” or consented to it.
    Reality: Erection or ejaculation are physiological responses that can be induced through manipulation and pressure on the prostate. Some people who commit sexual assault are aware how erections and ejaculations can confuse a man and this motivates them to manipulate their body and penis to the point of erections or ejaculation. They also can use this manipulation as a way to increase their feelings of control and to discourage reporting of the offence. Developing an erection or ejaculating does not indicate that a man wanted or enjoyed the assault nor does it say anything about sexual identity (e.g. if a man develops an erection when a cat sits on his lap, it doesn’t mean he is interested in sex with cats!). See our page on Men and Arousal.
    https://www.livingwell.org.au/inform...d-rape-of-men/

This is such a grave misunderstanding of consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Everything about this take is wrong.
    I don't care, it's no more wrong than attempting to use terms like "rape" or "sexual assault" to describe what happened in the film. You saw the "victim" did he look traumatized to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    First of all Ewwwww, secondly Yuck and third I really don't think she had to work that hard.

This is indeed the most ridiculous take about a movie that has generated tons of ridiculous takes. The most ironic part is that all these people online who NEVER care or get outraged whenever a real-life woman is raped or assaulted, are now acting all offended/outraged because someone decided that a fictional male was "raped" by Wonder Woman in a movie.
    How do you know they never say anything about real life women being raped?

Never mind that the body switch trope has been used in tons of other films without rape ever being brought up.
    Firstly, this isn't a body switch, it's a body possession. Also, those movies have been called out for having rape if a body switched character has sex with someone without telling them their true identity.

I don't care, it's no more wrong than attempting to use terms like "rape" or "sexual assault" to describe what happened in the film. You saw the "victim" did he look traumatized to you?
    Not really. I'm saying Patty Jenkins used an odd and unnecessary way for bringing Steve back to life and did not consider the moral implications of using a trope that has already been called out as problematic for years.

You, on the other hand, spouted some nonsense that 1) A person can't be raped if they would have liked the person in another context and 2) men can't get raped if they make an involuntary biological response.

These are wrong.

Can someone explain one thing to me? What exactly are the consequences of someone watching this movie?

Are they gonna start thinking that if someone tells them they are possessed by someone they met than it's okay to have sex with them? Because I don't really think that's an issue.

If someone actually wants to have sex with a consenting adult who is crazy enough to believe they are possessed, I think it's weird but whatever. I really don't see the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Not really. I'm saying Patty Jenkins used an odd and unnecessary way for bringing Steve back to life and did not consider the moral implications of using a trope that has already been called out as problematic for years.

You, on the other hand, spouted some nonsense that 1) A person can't be raped if they would have liked the person in another context and 2) men can't get raped if they make an involuntary biological response.

These are wrong.
    Thank you so much for dispelling any misinformation that may have been in my post. I wouldn't want anyone to make light of rape or genuine sexual assault. That's why this formulation of a tempest in a teapot over the possession of fictional characters' bodies by dead fighter pilots is something I find mildly annoying.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I really don't want to ignore the moral and ethical implications of Steve's return. Excluding the faulty logic of the "magic monkey's paw" in which nukes can appear from thin air but Steve needs to occupy some poor dudes body, what happened to this guy was rape right. Steve enters this guys body, is the guy just unconscious or is his soul somewhere else, and Diana sleeps with this guy. And this all happens without consent. Like Diana sleeps with a random guy, who in her eyes only is actually Steve, without the guy knowing anything....I'm pretty sure that's rape. This is not a good look. No one questioned this in production? Who thought that anything like this was a good idea? Like think about if the sexes were reversed; a woman takes over another woman's body and a guy sleeps with her.....I think that's bad right?

I just don't like what happened and there is no real explanation in the movie for it. We know that Diana was losing her powers because of her wish not because of Barbra, so Steve being in someone else's body was not the "take" from the "give and take" rules of the rock. This just adds another layer on a movie I thought was below sub-par to begin with.
    First, the why not bring Steve back whole question.

The wishes start off pretty small, and then get much bigger. My take was that was part of what was going on. Bringing a soul back is a lot easier than doing it and recreating a body.

Per the sexual assault - I wondered about it but ultimately I don’t see it. The guy literally wasn’t in his body when it happened. And I don’t just mean he was unconscious, he just wasn’t there AT ALL. You can’t violate somebody if they aren’t there in any sense whatsoever. Whatever happened did not happen to him.

Consider this - if person A and B swap bodies, and then person A has sex while their mind is in B’s physical shell, was Person B raped? They were in another body at the time.

The whole idea of Diana being willing to leave the poor guys soul in limbo forever is to me far more troubling.
    Last edited by brettc1; 12-31-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Can someone explain one thing to me? What exactly are the consequences of someone watching this movie?

Are they gonna start thinking that if someone tells them they are possessed by someone they met than it's okay to have sex with them? Because I don't really think that's an issue.

If someone actually wants to have sex with a consenting adult who is crazy enough to believe they are possessed, I think it's weird but whatever. I really don't see the issue.
    I think the obvious issue is if you have sex with someone without their consent and they don’t know it happened, is that okay?

The answer being no, no, no.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor