Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Does everyone that thinks "possession" is comparable to actual real life sexual abuse or rape, also complain about Star Wars films and how robots in that universe are slaves and the filmmakers should be ashamed of themselves for making a film where slavery is okay?

This is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever had. It's at this point that I feel ashamed to be on these forums. I don't mind taking comics seriously, but you are talking about the ethics of something that has absolutely no comparison to real life and could only happen in fantasy, and you take that discussion as far as shaming the people who made the film. That's when you lost all sense of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Does everyone that thinks "possession" is comparable to actual real life sexual abuse or rape, also complain about Star Wars films and how robots in that universe are slaves and the filmmakers should be ashamed of themselves for making a film where slavery is okay?
    This is literally the level of intelligence of this argument. Having sex while being possessed is as problematic as androids in space being slaves that have no rights and are dismantled (killed) or mind wiped whenever their owners want. Do you also complain about someone having sex with a sex robot without the consent of the robot?

It's just odd that the character of Wonder Woman did not care that someone's body was being possessed for her wish. A fact she knew.

Why people are taking this criticism as a personal attack is so weird. Many people here aren't even saying the movie as a whole is bad.

This is literally the level of intelligence of this argument. Having sex while being possessed is as problematic as androids in space being slaves that have no rights and are dismantled (killed) or mind wiped whenever their owners want. Do you also complain about someone having sex with a sex robot without the consent of the robot?
    This is literally the starting plot of Westworld.....
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member

This is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever had. It's at this point that I feel ashamed to be on these forums. I don't mind taking comics seriously, but you are talking about the ethics of something that has absolutely no comparison to real life and could only happen in fantasy, and you take that discussion as far as shaming the people who made the film. That's when you lost all sense of reality.
    Let’s not forget all those Civilian contract workers killed on the second Death Star.

Or the way Azzarello vilified hyenas.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

AND TO BE CLEAR, i'm not saying you can't say it's a weird plotpoint and that it has some strange implications, but it's stupid to be ofended by this or even have a serious argument about it. I think Superman throwing Zod through a building full of employees or into a gas station and it exploding is far more relevant than this, but I still wouldn't argue about Man of Steel as if it was a serious and offensive issue.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-02-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    This is literally the starting plot of Westworld.....
    Yes, but you don't go watch a Star Wars film and rant about how the filmmakers are backwards thinking and the protagonists in it are evil and disgusting for doing that to the androids.

Some people on this thread really want to view WW84 with a critical lens until a critic comes that they don't agree with, suddenly its "just a movie" or "that's nitpicking".... smh

Yes, but you don't go watch a Star Wars film and rant about how the filmmakers are backwards thinking and the protagonists in it are evil and disgusting for doing that to the androids.
    If you wanna make a tv show where the main character's former lover possesses a random guy and you explore the ethics of it, I'm cool with it. Don't come ranting about a Wonder Woman film for this.

AND TO BE CLEAR, i'm not saying you can't say it's a weird plotpoint and that it has some strange implications, but it's stupid to be ofended by this or even have a serious argument about it. I think Superman throwing Zod through a building full of employees or into a gas station and it exploding is far more relevant than this, but I still wouldn't argue about Man of Steel as if it was a serious and offensive issue.
    It's funny you think I'm offended by this.... like no, what you just described is how I and several other people do feel and have been talking about.

Lol, this actually explored a bit in Mandalorian and in Solo

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    It's just odd that the character of Wonder Woman did not care that someone's body was being possessed for her wish. A fact she knew.

Why people are taking this criticism as a personal attack is so weird. Many people here aren't even saying the movie as a whole is bad.
    It's weird yes, but it's not a big deal. The thing is I keep seeing so many people talking about the same tiny little detail in the film that is absolutely beyond the point of the story. And people are actually shaming Patty Jenkins for that detail.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post

It certainly was an odd choice to have Diana be so keenly aware of it. They could’ve done this thing where Steve walks in front of a mirror and we see the Handsome Man but Diana only sees her sweet beautiful Steve

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    It's funny you think I'm offended by this.... like no, what you just described is how I and several other people do feel and have been talking about.
    Than stop talking about #METOO and about Patty Jenkins. It's okay that Diana had sex with a man that was possessed. I certainly wouldn't have done it because it's weird, but it doesn't matter. I also don't complain about robots in films not having rights. If Diana drugged someone and then had sex with them, that's when I would start talking about the morality of the film because it is normalizing something that shouldn't be normalized.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Then Patty Jenkins is either a careless storyteller or simply a poor one, if she couldn't see this entire situation becoming a problem for many people.
    I agree that this was both problematic and poor storytelling.

However, given that the whole body-swapping thing doesn't happen in the real world, I think that it's, also, problematic to liken this situation to real world sexual assault.