Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or Ace the Bat-Hound.

And about "Dick and Jace", . . .
    See Dick. See Dick run. Run, Dick, run!
    See Jace. See Jace run. Run, Jace, run!
    I'm a fan of Pet Avengers so I'm game. Throg needs a spinoff.

Extraordinary Member

New newsletter is out

BATMAN

BATMAN 108 came out yesterday, which is our big introduction of MIRACLE MOLLY. It’s an unusual issue of a Batman comic, but my goal here is to make you love this new character as much as Jorge Jimenez and I do by the time you put the issue down. With MM we wanted to create a character with a strong moral code that Batman respects but doesn’t necessarily agree with… Her story is one of the key defining threads of what we’re doing in the main Batman title this year.

Sales on 108 were insane. We broke 200K on this one, and there are a bunch of amazing covers spotlighting Miracle Molly out in the wild. Here’s some great pictures of Jorge Jimenez basking in their glow.

This month, you’re going to find out what a lot of the line has been building to since A-Day in Infinite Frontier #0… THE COWARDLY LOT is just the beginning, and the story is going to evolve into something bigger, as our story’s climax coincides with a bunch of the other Bat-Books. I can’t say much more than that, but I am verrrrrrry excited about [REDACTED ON PAIN OF DEATH]. But we’ve lined up a bunch of really really exciting stuff around what we’re doing this fall. Let’s just say we couldn’t pass up throwing a Halloween party with our good pal, Scarecrow.

The other week we had another writers meeting about all of the cool stuff coming up in Gotham City, making sure all of the books continue to connect and play off of each other. I love these meetings… First off, I can’t say enough about the incredible talent working on each and every single one of these books.

My single favorite thing about them? Well… for the last decade of working in Gotham City, there were so many times where people would ask about their favorite Bat-Family member and not be able to explain the weird internal politics that were acting as a barrier to seeing those characters get the spotlight they deserve… But right now? There’s a plan for ALL of them. Gotham City is a whole superhero universe in and of itself, and we’re all working together to build this exciting tapestry of superhero awesome that brings each of them forward and lets them shine. Your favorite characters are in good hands, and we’ve got some incredible stories cooking. I got an email earlier this week about something that won’t happen until next year, but when I heard it I stood up and cheered.

There’s some Tim Drake stuff coming that I am particularly thrilled about, and cannot wait for you all to read. Teenage Tim Drake fanboy James was cheering on his feet reading the outline for this upcoming story.

Anyways. I am always the most anxious the first week of the month. I love everyone who loves what we’re doing on Batman, and I even hope the ones who don’t are enjoying other books in the line right now. It’s a really exciting fun moment to be a part of, and I think we’re making a bunch of great comic books for Bat-Fans of the past, present, and future.

JOKER

Hey! Joker came out! It’s secretly a Jim Gordon book about evil and wealth and society! It’s the book I am getting most deep dive DC continuity brain about (well aside from a couple one-shots coming out later this year). Guillem March is absolutely killing it on every single page. Two issues in, Folks seem to be digging it! Issue #3 is next week, and might have my favorite cover of the series yet…

The second issue released a few weeks ago, with a big status quo change in mainline continuity for the Gordon Family (but one, as pointed out, that’s been done a bunch before – I remember when I reached out to Tom Taylor to see if it’d mess with any of his Nightwing plans, and he sent me the panels of Gordon admitting he knew the secret from DCeased in support). It also introduced some of the new players… First off there’s the Sampson Family, and folks have picked up on one of the key strands of DNA influencing the character, but there’s another side to it… I’m interested to see if people pick it up.

But the biggest new character we’ll be dropping in this series, made her first appearance in Issue #2. She hasn’t been named in the book yet, but promo around the book has called her VENGEANCE, DAUGHTER OF BANE. She is a fucking bad-ass, and a character I am very very excited for you to see more of… I’m playing the long game with a lot of the Santa Prisca mythology I’m playing with here, and for people who think that the original Bane is out of the picture entirely, I’d point them back to the caption in Joker #1 where Jim Gordon said he didn’t believe he was dead.

The one thing folks don’t seem to have picked up yet is the connection between one of the characters in the book with a character from the first Bat-Book I ever worked on with Guillem…. So I’ll let that dangle a bit.

The Joker #5’s solicit revealed that I will be joined by Matt Rosenberg and Francesco Francavilla on the issue, which is set effectively right after the events of Batman: The Man Who Laughs in the Year One era. It tells the story of The Joker’s first night in Arkham Asylum. This will be the first of a batch of stories we’ll be dropping in between the main features with me and Guillem, that will show key Joker-related moments in Jim Gordon’s life and the history of Gotham City.

We also announced that following Mirka Andolfo’s incredible turn at the wheel of our Punchline back-up story, we’re going to be joined by the phenomenal Sweeney Boo for this next block of chapters here… I’m building something with Sam Johns here, and we are very excited for you to see the full picture. Just you wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    New newsletter is out
    Good on him for been straight about the fact that some characters were hampered by behind the scenes politics.

Though the contents touched on in this newsletter doesn't fill me with confidence that those interferences and favouritisms are a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    New newsletter is out
    So in theory everyone in the Bat-Family should get a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Good on him for been straight about the fact that some characters were hampered by behind the scenes politics.

Though the contents touched on in this newsletter doesn't fill me with confidence that those interferences and favouritisms are a thing of the past.
    Yeah, I'm not full of confidence either. Bat-Family stories frequently brag about having the family, only to go ahead and exclude characters whilst pretending all of them are there (only the 'important' ones get included).

Oh well, Tim fans can be happy at least.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    So in theory everyone in the Bat-Family should get a turn.
    Based on info that's out there, it seems like everybody will be getting at least something in the coming months.

Bruce has Batman, Detective Comics, and Batman/Superman, alongside Elseworlds Batman: The Detective, Batman: The Animated Series: The Adventures Continue Season 2 and Batman: Reptilian.

Dick has Nightwing, with appearances in Titans Academy.

Barbara is appearing in Batman, The Joker, and Nightwing. She'll also probably be appearing in the Batgirls stories.

Jason has his story in Urban Legends, with Part 3 debuting next week. He's also the lead to start with in Future State: Gotham.

Tim is appearing in the next issue of Nightwing, along with his arc in Urban Legends.

Stephanie will be getting the Batgirls story in Urban Legends, and Tynion's also hinted at a Batgirls ongoing, alongside future appearances in Batman/The Joker.

Cass will also be appearing in the Batgirls story, and same as Steph, should be getting a Batgirls ongoing and future Batman/The Joker appearances.

Kate will be getting a short in the pride special, by Tynion, which could mean more is coming down the line for her. She's probably one of the biggest question marks.

Damian has an ongoing.

Harper Row has the Punchline back-ups.

Luke Fox has been appearing in The Next Batman: Second Son, and will be getting a short story in Batman: Urban Legends #4.

Duke Thomas has the Secret Files One-shot, which will likely lead into or set-up something.

Jace Fox has The Next Batman: Second Son, and DC seems to have a 12-issue limited series line up for him once that has finished. He's also appearing in Future State: Gotham.

Helena has Detective Comics back-ups, appearances in the main story coming up, and a Secret Files One-shot.

Jean-Paul Valley has something coming up in Urban Legends, based on some posted art.

Everybody pretty much has something set-up for them to appear in, and that's without knowing who else will get Secret Files issues in the coming months. Unless we start diving deeper for Orpheus, Onyx, Michael Lane, Talon, David Zavimbe, the Gotham Academy characters, and the We Are Robin kids (minus Duke), everybody seems to be covered. Admittedly, it's not equal between them currently, with some characters definitely getting more focus than other ones. But I'd think we're definitely in a good place, that can hopefully get better as it continues to build out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    Based on info that's out there, it seems like everybody will be getting at least something in the coming months.

Bruce has Batman, Detective Comics, and Batman/Superman, alongside Elseworlds Batman: The Detective, Batman: The Animated Series: The Adventures Continue Season 2 and Batman: Reptilian.

Dick has Nightwing, with appearances in Titans Academy.

Barbara is appearing in Batman, The Joker, and Nightwing. She'll also probably be appearing in the Batgirls stories.

Jason has his story in Urban Legends, with Part 3 debuting next week. He's also the lead to start with in Future State: Gotham.

Tim is appearing in the next issue of Nightwing, along with his arc in Urban Legends.

Stephanie will be getting the Batgirls story in Urban Legends, and Tynion's also hinted at a Batgirls ongoing, alongside future appearances in Batman/The Joker.

Cass will also be appearing in the Batgirls story, and same as Steph, should be getting a Batgirls ongoing and future Batman/The Joker appearances.

Kate will be getting a short in the pride special, by Tynion, which could mean more is coming down the line for her. She's probably one of the biggest question marks.

Damian has an ongoing.

Harper Row has the Punchline back-ups.

Luke Fox has been appearing in The Next Batman: Second Son, and will be getting a short story in Batman: Urban Legends #4.

Duke Thomas has the Secret Files One-shot, which will likely lead into or set-up something.

Jace Fox has The Next Batman: Second Son, and DC seems to have a 12-issue limited series line up for him once that has finished. He's also appearing in Future State: Gotham.

Helena has Detective Comics back-ups, appearances in the main story coming up, and a Secret Files One-shot.

Jean-Paul Valley has something coming up in Urban Legends, based on some posted art.

Everybody pretty much has something set-up for them to appear in, and that's without knowing who else will get Secret Files issues in the coming months. Unless we start diving deeper for Orpheus, Onyx, Michael Lane, Talon, David Zavimbe, the Gotham Academy characters, and the We Are Robin kids (minus Duke), everybody seems to be covered. Admittedly, it's not equal between them currently, with some characters definitely getting more focus than other ones. But I'd think we're definitely in a good place, that can hopefully get better as it continues to build out.
    It does seem like they're trying to do relative justice to the entire Batfamily in the coming months.

Damian has an ongoing.
    What's the difference between the 'Pride #1' special and the 'Truth & Justice' series? Because Jason, Kate, and Damian are listed as being a part of the 'Truth & Justice' series. Jason in #4, and Kate in #5 (but there's the Pride label on #5), and Damian in #6.

Is it the same Batwoman story, or a different one in each? It's got to be different stories though right, because different writers are listed.

James Tynion IV & Trung Le Nguyen

Grace Ellis & Maria Laura Sanapo

The Damian one:

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    What's the difference between the 'Pride #1' special and the 'Truth & Justice' series? Because Jason, Kate, and Damian are listed as being a part of the 'Truth & Justice' series. Jason in #4, and Kate in #5 (but there's the Pride label on #5), and Damian in #6.

Is it the same Batwoman story, or a different one in each? It's got to be different stories though right, because different writers are listed.

James Tynion IV & Trung Le Nguyen

Grace Ellis & Maria Laura Sanapo

Yeah the stories are different. The T&J cover is just for Pride month.

This week’s issue of Batman selling over 200k because of Miracle Molly is insane. Is it just speculation or genuine interest in Tynion’s direction I wonder? Either way he’s seemingly on par with or even surpassing Scott Snyder saleswise.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This week’s issue of Batman selling over 200k because of Miracle Molly is insane. Is it just speculation or genuine interest in Tynion’s direction I wonder? Either way he’s seemingly on par with or even surpassing Scott Snyder saleswise.
    I am enjoying the run enough, but I do think it's clear the reason is selling out so much is because of how many characters he's introducing and Jorge's artwork. I don't think most people dislike the run, but I also don't think it's what is getting the book sold out. I mean, Tom King's run was a lot more popular online and had a lot more people talking about it, but it also wasn't selling like this run...

BANNED

Nah, Tynion is not surpassing Snyder saleswise since Snyder overused the Joker. Anyone who thinks Batman vs MM is a better sell than Batman vs Joker is an idiot.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 05-06-2021 at 06:15 AM.

I'll update the list for you then, according to what is known, but I'll not include wider media (animation, games, live-action etc).

Bruce
    Batman
    Detective Comics
    Batman/Superman
    Elseworlds Batman: The Detective
    Batman: Reptilian

Dick
    Nightwing
    Titans Academy (appearances)

Barbara (appearances)
    Batman
    The Joker
    Nightwing
    The Batgirls

Jason
    Urban Legends
    Future State: Gotham
    Truth & Justice #4

Tim
    Nightwing (appearances)
    Urban Legends

Stephanie
    Urban Legends
    Batman/The Joker (appearances)
    Batgirls ongoing (probably)

Cass
    Urban Legends
    Batman/The Joker (appearances)
    Batgirls ongoing (probably)

Kate
    DC Pride #1
    Truth & Justice #5

Damian
    Robin ongoing
    Truth & Justice #6

Harper Row
    Punchline

Luke Fox
    The Next Batman: Second Son
    Batman: Urban Legends #4.

Duke Thomas
    Secret Files One-shot

Jace Fox
    The Next Batman: Second Son (+12-issue limited series upon conclusion)
    Future State: Gotham

Helena
    Detective Comics
    Secret Files One-shot

Jean-Paul Valley
    Urban Legends

Are people that excited for new characters? I mean, I don't mind them, but it seems like a lot. Is it the hype factor from Tynion and marketing?

I wonder if part of it is Punchline and Molly being marketable female characters...has Tynion learned from anime and manga how much hot girls sell ?

Ultimate Member

THIS.

Those are folks who don't want to be burned if someone does anything with those folks outside of comics.

See Ebay-NOBODY was buying Jace Fox's first appearance. I had planned on buying a set with his first appearance for $40. The MOMENT he got RUMORED to be Batman-that set got taken down and the book was going to set you back $60.

Don't even get me started on Static. When they first announced a new show years ago-all his appearances jacked up in price. That New 52 trade was going to set you back $200 at one point.

So while some are reading the book-you got another crowd looking to cash in and that includes comic book stores. They are looking for the folks who are not willing to search.