Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silverlantern View Post
    Speaking of Tim, the three year plan comment does have me thinking. If we're going off three years after March 2021, that should bring us to the year 2024. That year was rattling around in my head for some reason until I realized that the "canon" year of the Future State books for the Bat-line was 2025, the year where Tim takes the Batman mantle and Future State: Nightwing, Catwoman, Sirens and Red Hood all take place. 2024 would also be the 85th Anniversary of Bruce's debut and could serve as his temporary send off. I don't know how long term the DC editorial office is planning but maybe we have to take them at their word and Tim will in fact be the "next" Batman starting then.
    I don't know if I see DC taking Bruce completely off the board, even if it'll be temporary like all the other times before. I don't see them taking him off for the same reason Marvel couldn't take Peter Parker off the board, even after Miles Morales came to the mainline and they were replacing most of their heroes, he's their cash cow. No matter how bad things in the comic industry get one thing remains the constant, its that Batman sells, and he sells like crazy, which is why the whole franchise is built around him. And there's still the unknown factor of Tim Fox, will he have great appeal, will he bring in the sales like Bruce will? That all remains to be seen and I guess DC will test that out with Future State.
    Last edited by GSman; 01-02-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Three things:

- What would Bluebird's role be post-Punchline?

- Is her father, despite being aware of her association with Batman & company, aware that she's Bluebird?

- Is there enough demand for a Bluebird one-shot/mini?
    I feel like it was implied he did to some extent, but I could be completely wrong...

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Honestly I'm a bit burned out of the BatCat thing since, as with Taila, it doesn't bring the best out of Bruce as a character. Let's give him someone new or an update of the old you have some interesting other females that are in Gotham.

Julie Madison got updated not that long ago, pull back in her lawyer role that was given to her in the Mad Monk and Monster Men series, and have her get the DA role and let the fun roll with that past, given that Bruce's actions ended up pushing her father to make the choices that he did. Or keep her as she is and have her interact with Bruce in regard to the kids of Gotham and the fall out of the events.

New DA and go with that as an interesting Character. You can build up how a DA deals with the fall out from Batman and the Villains. Hell just pull the woman from Animated in there, and go with that. How does someone deal with Batman but also Bruce Wanyne and his role in the city. We always see it from the GCPD but never from the DA's office.

Andrea Beumont, if we're seeing that in the black label, why not just have her come in in the present? But again, you would have the BatCat Dynamic, again.

Silver St. Cloud, she was certainly someone that matched Bruce in some ways, and they both seemed serious for him.

Vicky Vale, get a strong story with her in regard to her being a photojournalist and less of a knock off Lois lane. Have her want to do a photo book about the Bats in Gotham or a Wanyne article and see where that goes.

Seems okay for stories, I'll give it a shot, but given the way DC has been going with AT&T I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Honestly I'm a bit burned out of the BatCat thing since, as with Taila, it doesn't bring the best out of Bruce as a character. Let's give him someone new or an update of the old you have some interesting other females that are in Gotham.

Julie Madison got updated not that long ago, pull back in her lawyer role that was given to her in the Mad Monk and Monster Men series, and have her get the DA role and let the fun roll with that past, given that Bruce's actions ended up pushing her father to make the choices that he did. Or keep her as she is and have her interact with Bruce in regard to the kids of Gotham and the fall out of the events.

New DA and go with that as an interesting Character. You can build up how a DA deals with the fall out from Batman and the Villains. Hell just pull the woman from Animated in there, and go with that. How does someone deal with Batman but also Bruce Wanyne and his role in the city. We always see it from the GCPD but never from the DA's office.

Andrea Beumont, if we're seeing that in the black label, why not just have her come in in the present? But again, you would have the BatCat Dynamic, again.

Silver St. Cloud, she was certainly someone that matched Bruce in some ways, and they both seemed serious for him.

Vicky Vale, get a strong story with her in regard to her being a photojournalist and less of a knock off Lois lane. Have her want to do a photo book about the Bats in Gotham or a Wanyne article and see where that goes.

Seems okay for stories, I'll give it a shot, but given the way DC has been going with AT&T I'm not holding my breath.

Or we could just you know, avoid love interests, bring him back down to the streets, tell corruption stories and murder stories and let him I dunno, let's think crazy here, be a detective?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Or we could just you know, avoid love interests, bring him back down to the streets, tell corruption stories and murder stories and let him I dunno, let's think crazy here, be a detective?
    Yes, please. I don’t mind the love interests though.

Tamaki’s Tec run is going to be the “grounded” take with murder mysteries and what not. But that’s not what the main Batman book is about and hasn’t been for a long time. The reason it hasn’t is for all the complaining, people still buy more issues of Batman when stuff like Joker War, big bombastic event style storytelling that shakes things up, is going down. Tomasi’s Tec might as well not exist for all the attention it gets and the sales it has.

Three things:

- What would Bluebird's role be post-Punchline?
    I think DC should invest in her operating out of The Narrows. DC's tried to have a member of the Batfamily operate strictly in that part of the series; first Duke in Batman and The Signal and then Barbara in Batgirl post-Gordon Clean Energy arc. While still sparse, Tynion has recently created characters that exist specifically in that part of Gotham, and if he continues to populate that part of the city with names and faces I think it'll only be a matter of time before there's a book.

- Is her father, despite being aware of her association with Batman & company, aware that she's Bluebird?
    I know suspension of disbelief is important for comics, but Harper has an unique hair colour and style, and Marcus has associated her with Batman back in Batman 18. I feel like if he saw an image of Bluebird, he'd recognize Harper instantly.

- Is there enough demand for a Bluebird one-shot/mini?
    I think DC could take a chance on her, they would just have to look at how well Tynion's Batman and Punchline sold and was received.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Speaking of Tim, the three year plan comment does have me thinking. If we're going off three years after March 2021, that should bring us to the year 2024. That year was rattling around in my head for some reason until I realized that the "canon" year of the Future State books for the Bat-line was 2025, the year where Tim takes the Batman mantle and Future State: Nightwing, Catwoman, Sirens and Red Hood all take place. 2024 would also be the 85th Anniversary of Bruce's debut and could serve as his temporary send off. I don't know how long term the DC editorial office is planning but maybe we have to take them at their word and Tim will in fact be the "next" Batman starting then.
    That adds up

Future state is garbage and everyone deep down knows it. It's just some people are more optimistic. In two months this place will be filled with threads about how stupid it was...book it!!
    You don't know that

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It looks logical on paper, but I doubt they can make some long-term plan in current situation. And also it depends on many factors, first of all on sales. And we also need to see if Tim will be accepted by the fanbase. Besides, if Reeves's Batman is succesful, 2024-2025 is very realistic date for sequel. It's unlikely they will replace Bruce at this point.
    More likely they'll just will make Next Batman series similar to Batman Beyond, maybe even soon, since we've seen Next Batman on Infinite Frontier cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I don't know if I see DC taking Bruce completely off the board, even if it'll be temporary like all the other times before. I don't see them taking him off for the same reason Marvel couldn't take Peter Parker off the board, even after Miles Morales came to the mainline and they were replacing most of their heroes, he's their cash cow. No matter how bad things in the comic industry get one thing remains the constant, its that Batman sells, and he sells like crazy, which is why the whole franchise is built around him.
    While the three year plan seems to lead up to Future State it doesn't mean it's gonna end up the same way. More likely the next three years the main plot will be the Batfam trying to prevent the rise of Magistrate
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-02-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Spectacular Member

I find Tynion a really talented writer whose Batman has been bland so far. From my understanding, a lot of his plans were changed due to the scrapped 5G plans and the coronavirus shutdowns, so he's only really been able to have free reign in the title starting in March. (As far as we know, he was meant to be the fill-in writer on the title until issue 100, where Tim Fox was going to take over that John Ridley was probably gonna write). The newsletter also implies that Jorge Jiminez is the main monthly artist so at the very least the art will be top - notch.

I highly doubt future state is still in their plans 3 years from now, if they wanted Tim as Batman they would have done it by now.

As a confirmed BatCat hater, I'm with you. But giving Bruce (not Batman) "love" interests does open up certain story possibilities. Consider Jezebel Jet, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    As a confirmed BatCat hater, I'm with you. But giving Bruce (not Batman) "love" interests does open up certain story possibilities. Consider Jezebel Jet, for example.
    Not that I really view Jezebel as a serious love interest, at least in hindsight...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not that I really view Jezebel as a serious love interest, at least in hindsight...
    Exactly. But Bruce loves the mean girls, so what can you do.

Zdarsky on Urban legend is the only thing keeping me interested in Batman so far.

I'm surprised Tynion is actually staying this long and I hope his just a place holder for someone else (say Zdarsky) to later become the main batman writer.

I've had enough with batcat and really wish dc would focus on rebuilding Selena characterisation (that's been completely ruined with rebirth) instead.

I really wish we aren't getting anymore cass and steph batgirls at the same time because the team up joker war zone was underwhelming and did nothing for Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Zdarsky on Urban legend is the only thing keeping me interested in Batman so far.

I'm surprised Tynion is actually staying this long and I hope his just a place holder for someone else (say Zdarsky) to later become the main batman writer.

I've had enough with batcat and really wish dc would focus on rebuilding Selena characterisation (that's been completely ruined with rebirth) instead.

I really wish we aren't getting anymore cass and steph batgirls at the same time because the team up joker war zone was underwhelming and did nothing for Cass.
    He was the placeholder, for John Ridley, but not anymore. He’s got a three year plan so if he gets to pull that off he’ll be on until 2023 or 2024 after which he’ll leave DC to do creator owned stuff.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m excited. Maybe I’m the only one who enjoyed King’s run, as well as Tynion’s?