Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Been listening to some Tynion interviews, his pre-FS run had some heavy editorial interference. Fun fact: The Designer was originally meant to be a fake identity that Bruce created to manipulate his foes, but editorial nixed that and told him to make it an OC. Here’s the interview: https://youtu.be/E3Rxw-RPXSE

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Been listening to some Tynion interviews, his pre-FS run had some heavy editorial interference. Fun fact: The Designer was originally meant to be a fake identity that Bruce created to manipulate his foes, but editorial nixed that and told him to make it an OC. Here’s the interview: https://youtu.be/E3Rxw-RPXSE
    Yeah, that's why I'm not judging his Joker War stuff that harshly like others, because he wasn't even meant to be a long term guy, they put him on in a transitional role. Now that he's got a plan and will be on for a while, I have some high hopes for his run. I think with a plan Tynion will definitely up his game.

And then it kind of turned out to be The Joker .

That idea seems kind of War Games-inspired.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I wonder if Grifter is a permanent part of the Batuniverse.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I wonder if Grifter is a permanent part of the Batuniverse.
    for the forseeable future, it seems like it.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    for the forseeable future, it seems like it.
    I’m not quite to Tynion’s last arc in my read through, and never read his solo. Does Grifter have his powers or nah?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m not quite to Tynion’s last arc in my read through, and never read his solo. Does Grifter have his powers or nah?
    Think it can be assumed any character from the Wildstorm universe who made the jump to the DCverse would have kept their key attributes and powers, so I'd assume yes. Though it hasn't necessarily been shown in the Tynion's run as of yet, because there hasn't really been a reason to show them off.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Why is Tynions Batman stuff so unpleasant when his creator owned material (Department of Truth, Something is killing the Children) gets a lot of love from critics? Dumb question but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Why is Tynions Batman stuff so unpleasant when his creator owned material (Department of Truth, Something is killing the Children) gets a lot of love from critics? Dumb question but I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    Corporate oversight.

He doesn't have the freedom that he has on his creator owned stuff.

He is only borrowing these characters and ATT have been on a tear lately to push Batman far and wide so flagship title has to be as milquetoast as possible.

King had carte blanche on the character and it is one of the most divisive runs in modern history - you either love it or hate it.

Ever since Didio got booted those days are long gone.

*also think about how good his 'Tec run was and that was before Didio left. People like to **** on him but he ran a tight ship and allowed for greater creator insight.*
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 01-29-2021 at 01:43 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

"Her name is Miracle Molly. She's on the cover of Batman #108, which will be her first FULL appearance, and the issue that I think will make you all fall as madly in love with her as Jorge and I are. Jorge did the above as a color guide. This is just your first glimpse of her… There's going to be a lot more to come. That Batman 108 cover is going to be coming your way with the next round of solicits, along with some craaazy variant covers featuring her.

The Unsanity Collective are a high tech gang of thieves who use technology to erase and reset their memories, so they can let go of all the fear and trauma holding themselves back. Miracle Molly builds all of their hardware. She's unlike any of the other characters I've written in and around Gotham, and I fucking LOVE her. So I hope you love reading about her, too…"

Another new Tynion OC, Jorge kills it as usual with his character designs. Her concept sounds interesting also.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Corporate oversight.

He doesn't have the freedom that he has on his creator owned stuff.

He is only borrowing these characters and ATT have been on a tear lately to push Batman far and wide so flagship title has to be as milquetoast as possible.

King had carte blanche on the character and it is one of the most divisive runs in modern history - you either love it or hate it.

Ever since Didio got booted those days are long gone.

*also think about how good his 'Tec run was and that was before Didio left. People like to **** on him but he ran a tight ship and allowed for greater creator insight.*
    Some of this seems to be driven by Tynion himself though. The guy’s like 33, he doesn’t need to try to be hip with the kids. When he references manga and gets it kind of wrong it’s kind of hard to watch. It’s fine JTIV, you will never be As good at creating superheroes as Kohei Horikoshi, you might not have four million readers a week but that is okay.

He’s also in it purely for commercial reasons. After ‘Tec he was burnt out on Batman and in his afterward of his Tec run he said he didn’t want to tell another Gotham tale for a long time, but YOU DO NOT REJECT THE HOTTEST SEAT IN COMICS. He’s been quite frank that he’s creating all these new characters because they are potentially a source of future income.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post

"Her name is Miracle Molly. She's on the cover of Batman #108, which will be her first FULL appearance, and the issue that I think will make you all fall as madly in love with her as Jorge and I are. Jorge did the above as a color guide. This is just your first glimpse of her… There's going to be a lot more to come. That Batman 108 cover is going to be coming your way with the next round of solicits, along with some craaazy variant covers featuring her.

The Unsanity Collective are a high tech gang of thieves who use technology to erase and reset their memories, so they can let go of all the fear and trauma holding themselves back. Miracle Molly builds all of their hardware. She's unlike any of the other characters I've written in and around Gotham, and I fucking LOVE her. So I hope you love reading about her, too…"
    OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Where's the Appreciation Thread for the breakout character of 2021?!?!

/sarcasm
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Is Miracle Molly the new Poison Ivy like Punchline was the new Harley?

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How long until they pit Molly against Bluebird like they’re doing with Punchline?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lol. All this guy is interested in is creating new characters that don't catch on with anyone.