Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Lol. All this guy is interested in is creating new characters that don't catch on with anyone.
    He's doing better than King, he didn't contribute anything to Batman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Honestly I'm a bit burned out of the BatCat thing since, as with Taila, it doesn't bring the best out of Bruce as a character. Let's give him someone new or an update of the old you have some interesting other females that are in Gotham.

Julie Madison got updated not that long ago, pull back in her lawyer role that was given to her in the Mad Monk and Monster Men series, and have her get the DA role and let the fun roll with that past, given that Bruce's actions ended up pushing her father to make the choices that he did. Or keep her as she is and have her interact with Bruce in regard to the kids of Gotham and the fall out of the events.

New DA and go with that as an interesting Character. You can build up how a DA deals with the fall out from Batman and the Villains. Hell just pull the woman from Animated in there, and go with that. How does someone deal with Batman but also Bruce Wanyne and his role in the city. We always see it from the GCPD but never from the DA's office.

Andrea Beumont, if we're seeing that in the black label, why not just have her come in in the present? But again, you would have the BatCat Dynamic, again.

Silver St. Cloud, she was certainly someone that matched Bruce in some ways, and they both seemed serious for him.

Vicky Vale, get a strong story with her in regard to her being a photojournalist and less of a knock off Lois lane. Have her want to do a photo book about the Bats in Gotham or a Wanyne article and see where that goes.

Seems okay for stories, I'll give it a shot, but given the way DC has been going with AT&T I'm not holding my breath.

not me
    I love Bat/Cat
    I wish that there's a lot more of them.
    I didn't like the way King wrote the pairing though.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    He's doing better than King, he didn't contribute anything to Batman.
    In terms of new characters, sure. But he dived deeper into the mentality of Bruce Wayne than Scott Snyder. Snyder's Batman was quite a 2 dimensional character.

And King asked a really interesting question, "can Batman be actually happy and still be Batman?" He really didn't stick the landing on that one. Issue 50 was the beginnijg of the downfall, although Cold Days was the story arc right after and it's one of the most interesting stories we've ever had.

But he did at least 2 interesting things with Joker, which seemed impossible after Snyder overused that character without ever doing anything interesting with him. Sad Joker was an interesting take, and so was the chapel mini story with Bat/ Cat/ Joker.

He did a pretty good story with the Riddler, which I would say wasn't as creative as Zero Year (the only Snyder batstory I liked) but was probably the most threatening thing anyone has done with Riddler. He made Kite-man into a pretty lovable character. He managed to use differing origin stories for Bat-Cat in a metatextual way that emboldened the relationship within the confines of the fictional reality.

I have a lot more stories to recomend from the King run than I do from the Snyder run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Lol. All this guy is interested in is creating new characters that don't catch on with anyone.
    I have to say, I'm enjoying his new characters. I stopped really following comics towards the end of Johns' Green Lantern run, but it was pictures I saw of Punchline that caught my eye last summer. The Punchline Special was the first single issue I've purchased since 2012/2013. It was the Zero Issue month where I fell off. I've since collected a bunch of old Batman and fam collections, digitally, and also gotten and read the Clownhunter Annual. I'm really digging both of them, and have been strongly considering jumping back into single issues starting in March. Probably some combination of Batman/The Joker/Robin/Urban Legends, maybe Nightwing.

After reading the Punchline Special, I also went and purchased Their Dark Designs, and am waiting for the Joker War Saga trade to come out in a few weeks. I'll admit Ghostmaker doesn't really do anything for me, and the trade with his intro arc isn't releasing until the summer, but I'm digging his other new characters.

I love that Clownhunter is a product of the ongoing supervillian/superhero struggles that have engulfed Gotham, and that he's trying to step up and take things into his own hand. And Punchline's whole persona and social media manipulations are fascinating and I'm excited to see where her stories go in The Joker's back-ups, and her confrontation with Bluebird.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is Miracle Molly the new Poison Ivy like Punchline was the new Harley?
    I figured Miracle Molly might just be the new Joker's Daughter . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    How long until they pit Molly against Bluebird like they’re doing with Punchline?
    Tynion trying to set up a stealth Bluebird solo with her own Rogues Gallery .

Unless there's another Tynion character on break he might ship these characters off to.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I figured Miracle Molly might just be the new Joker's Daughter . . .
    Punchline was the new Joker's Daughter; Miracle Molly is the new Punchline.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Bluebird

Tynion trying to set up a stealth Bluebird solo with her own Rogues Gallery .

Unless there's another Tynion character on break he might ship these characters off to.
    All of Bluebird's foes are just various versions of other characters, but they have technicolor hair. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    All of Bluebird's foes are just various versions of other characters, but they have technicolor hair. All of them.
    I'm sensing a theme...

Bluebird

I'm sensing a theme...
    Dunno if JTIV is gonna do what I'm proposing, but if I ever got my hands on the Batbooks, you bet I'd follow that theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Some of this seems to be driven by Tynion himself though. The guy’s like 33, he doesn’t need to try to be hip with the kids. When he references manga and gets it kind of wrong it’s kind of hard to watch. It’s fine JTIV, you will never be As good at creating superheroes as Kohei Horikoshi, you might not have four million readers a week but that is okay.

He’s also in it purely for commercial reasons. After ‘Tec he was burnt out on Batman and in his afterward of his Tec run he said he didn’t want to tell another Gotham tale for a long time, but YOU DO NOT REJECT THE HOTTEST SEAT IN COMICS. He’s been quite frank that he’s creating all these new characters because they are potentially a source of future income.
    Not sure how relevant this is to what you said but.

1. I like the character design for Mircle Molly... almost a tank girl feel. Plus I know a slew of babes in real life with this fashion sense. DC needs as many Harley Quinn or Punchline or Catwoman or whatever female lead characters as possible... woman are huge growing market in DC.

2. In the last 3 weeks a new employee started. He's 20. I'm 35.

We been chatting, we both read comic's, he's been exclusively Manga or independents... I'm mostly DC, some Marvel and independents... I'd never read Manga.

We agreed to begin book swapping... I gave him a few DC.

He lent me All You Need is Kill... first Manga book I ever read... realized 50 pages in this was the book that inspired Edge of Tomorrow with Cruise.

Long story short the Manga book was great and we are gonna regularly swap our collection...

Apparently it was his sister that got him into Manga books...

DC definitely needs to lure in young people to grow their comics fan base

Would also be wise for DC to do Manga art and story inspired works but with traditional DC heroes as a bridge.

3. Not surprisingly a slew of negative comments below yours... why so much hate for a new character? Her style is directly lifted from the younger generation... do people not connect with young people? Rave kids or festival goers? That's what Miracle Molly looks like anyhow.

As I've said I'm glad future state isint going to be the permanent thing it was going to be however I'm super bummed we aren't getting a new writer with infinite frontier. Like why keep tynion on the book? He was a stop gap, their dark designs, joker war and then future state was going to be the new paradigm. Once didio was fired and they wanted to at least make some money off what they already paid for why did they let tynion have the book for the foreseeable future?

It blows my mind that a company wide soft reboot is happening with tons of new creative teams and we are about to go down tynion road for the next three years. I'm pretty confident they could of got zdarsky to come over to do a batman run. Why not let Taylor due it, he's doing everything else. I'd actually be interested in where Williamson could of taken batman as well as a robin book. Man having Taylor and Williamson both write batman with Taylor on nightwing and Williamson on robin, that would of been cool.

Three years guys...Three years....

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    As I've said I'm glad future state isint going to be the permanent thing it was going to be however I'm super bummed we aren't getting a new writer with infinite frontier. Like why keep tynion on the book? He was a stop gap, their dark designs, joker war and then future state was going to be the new paradigm. Once didio was fired and they wanted to at least make some money off what they already paid for why did they let tynion have the book for the foreseeable future?

It blows my mind that a company wide soft reboot is happening with tons of new creative teams and we are about to go down tynion road for the next three years. I'm pretty confident they could of got zdarsky to come over to do a batman run. Why not let Taylor due it, he's doing everything else. I'd actually be interested in where Williamson could of taken batman as well as a robin book. Man having Taylor and Williamson both write batman with Taylor on nightwing and Williamson on robin, that would of been cool.

Three years guys...Three years....
    Because he sold really well dude, I don’t get why that’s not obvious. The book sells great under Tynion and that’s all DC cares about.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Batman has sold well for a while now. During the end of King's run it dropped, but King was unique case. I doubt that someone like Taylor would sell less than Tynion does now.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Batman has sold well for a while now. During the end of King's run it dropped, but King was unique case. I doubt that someone like Taylor would sell less than Tynion does now.
    His formula works and sells, not much to it other than that. Probably would be the same if someone else was on, but Tynion was put on first. Not even sure DC expected he'd sell well since he was meant to be a transitional role until we got to the 5G stuff with Ridley. But he sold, which was more than enough to put him in a permanent role, since the most important thing is sales. It was really a stroke of luck more than anything.