Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

While I’m sure it was just a simple throwaway line for comedic value Leah added, I do understand everyone’s complaints about Lorna bringing up Alex. She can’t be a single strong independent female for any series without interacting with or bringing up Alex. It’s like he’s the editorially added baggage that comes with her character whether he’s in the room or not.

I do like though that Leah isn’t shying away from addressing and portraying Lorna’s mental issues. That should be represented in comics.

Hope we get more of the New Academy X kids soon and they weren’t just reunited once for fan service last issue!
    Last edited by Project Initiative Cascada; 12-31-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

BANNED

Well, Lorna has other exes to drunk dial. Iceman. Maybe Random. She slept with the stripper who looked like Gambit. The mean if it will make you guys happy she can drunk dial someone else.....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'm multitudes.

Marvel hasn't acknowledged Lorna's history with Genosha in the comics in over 15 years. This drunk dial joke, alone, is literally more than they've done for Lorna and Genosha since then. Nevermind how this isn't the only time Marvel's done this thing of shoehorning mentions of Havok, they've done it constantly and repeatedly since 2017 (and I only stop there because of her two years in forced limbo; they did it to her on ANXF too).

What it comes down to is that Marvel can always find an excuse to bring up Havok, but they can never find a single panel in 15 years to offer even a throwaway line about what she went through on Genosha. This exact same line could've been a drunk dial to Gambit, for example, in following with the Gambit stripper she had at her bachelorette party in the 00s. But that wouldn't have promoted Havok and forcing him into Lorna's life for the billionth time. You may not like that I'm mad about Marvel acting like Genosha never happened to Lorna, but your not liking it doesn't change facts.

Also, curious question: has Havok having dated Lorna come up at all on Hellions? Even once? Even as a joke? I'm serious, if it has then it's good for me to know. If not, then why?

P.S. - I didn't even mention Genosha in my first post. I only said things truly meaningful in her history. Which, yes, Genosha is top among them in my view. Kinda hard to top surviving a genocide where millions of people died begging for you specifically to save them. But you brought that in. Showing just how important it should be, compared to how Marvel treats it.
    We get it. Moving on.

Love the Leah writes the team there chemistry is just so perfect. Lorna drunk dialing her ex was hilarious and relatable. Northstar being overprotective of his sister as always and Dakken might actually be catching feelings lol I really hope this characterization for hims sticks and they revert him back to a sadistic psychotic murderer

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Do you want their relationship to NEVER be mentioned again? They were together for a long ass time and I feel like making a joke about it is a good way of acknowledging it but also firmly cementing it in the past.
    They haven't been together for a long time and it was already mentioned some months ago. Time to move on or stop being lazy. Find something else to characterize Lorna.
    It's not a big deal for me, but I found it lazy and repetitive

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'd like to see Lorna have a "I am MORE than the MEN in my life" moment.
    A lot of this really comes down to how it might be done. A moment like that could be good if it notes her other history (Genosha, second woman to join the X-Men, etc) in the process, but if it doesn't include her other history, it just ends up reinforcing the idea of her as nothing but a supporting character for men. That's why I didn't care for the fight between Lorna and Havok in X-Men Blue. Doesn't matter that she won, it was still defining her value exclusively by her associations with men.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Nah his coming out journey didn't really need to be about a woman he dated once.
    Agreed, it doesn't need to be about her, and it shouldn't be. Iceman is his own character, and deserves respect as such. There's way more to him than a woman he dated once, just like (contrary to Marvel's beliefs) there's more to Lorna than a man she dated once. It would be wrong to hijack Iceman's story for Lorna's sake. But spending a little time on their shared history would do wonders for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Do you want their relationship to NEVER be mentioned again? They were together for a long ass time and I feel like making a joke about it is a good way of acknowledging it but also firmly cementing it in the past.
    I want it mentioned less than other, more important things about Lorna's history. If Marvel's going to keep pretending Genosha never happened, then yeah, I never want their relationship mentioned again either.

Secondly, I've said many times before, I'm not opposed to the idea of Lorna and Havok eventually being a couple again. By extension, that means I wouldn't be opposed to their relationship being mentioned and used some day. But not right now. Marvel's spent literal decades on using Lorna as a supporting character for him, while simultaneously ignoring everything else about her. They can stand to leave it alone and give Lorna some respect as her own character for once.

Last, you said the joke firmly cements the relationship as in the past, but it's really doing the opposite. It's keeping it alive in the present, and opening the door to bring it back in the future.

Why is Lorna drunk dialing Havok and not someone else? This isn't something she's pretending she did just to have a little fun with Rachel. She actually did it. Regardless of whether that voicemail was "Hey Alex let's bang" or "You suck, Flanders," the bottom line is to say that Lorna still has feelings for Havok and the relationship can come back at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This puts her in a position to look weak waiting around for him instead of keeping her in charge when it comes to whatever dynamic they have. She tends to be subordinate to whatever is going on in his life
    I think this is honestly part of the point. Make Havok look better than her by how he's hooking up with Wasp or Goblin Queen or whoever else, while she's unable to move past him (because Marvel says so). If the situation were flipped, I'm certain people would be upset with Havok being treated this way all the time.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Leah is really good at letting all her characters shine even the small moments are brill so far other titles with the exception of Hellions should take notes, no names mentioned, (Marauders)

I've listened to some interviews from Leah, for what its worth, about her hesitation to USE Lorna at first, in the book, because she was unsure of a direction and had a similar experience to a lot of readers about inadvertently associating with Alex so heavily and it wasn't until a friend of hers really gave her the low down on how awesome Lorna is that she finally found a voice and a direction to take. I found that very comforting. I think there's a lot more to come.

Forgive the uneducated (raises hand sheepishly) but who ARE Lorna's romances, vs. Alex's?
    I know Alex has been with Maddie, Lorna, & the Wasp for sure. Oh Nurse Annie for a minute, kinda?
    Lorna had.... Alex and Bobby (and does that reeeeeally count given what she says about that relationship or lack thereof?)
    When I think Polaris and romance all that comes to mind is her and Alex, also Bobby but since they share similar taste in lean muscled Blonde men now that's kind of a mute point. Uhm that dude from the gifted show with similar powers to Zach from sky high! And Gambit would be the last cause they flirted in the Wolverine & the X-Men cartoon from my youth.

I'd like to see Lorna have a "I am MORE than the MEN in my life" moment.
    Is she though? Especially in this krakoan era were papa mags is casting a bigger shadow than ever and due to the retcon being the only child now she's never had bigger shoes to feel and Mags is all about Rep & legacy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    When I think Polaris and romance all that comes to mind is her and Alex, also Bobby but since they share similar taste in lean muscled Blonde men now that's kind of a mute point. Uhm that dude from the gifted show with similar powers to Zach from sky high! And Gambit would be the last cause they flirted in the Wolverine & the X-Men cartoon from my youth.
    its too bad he's married to Rogue an they dont seem to be interested in sharing in this new poly world, bc Remy and Lorna had chemistry

I really wish Marvel had pursued them and I wish Lorna had let herself be open to it

I've also thought she could have potential with Angel

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Honestly I'd love if they introduced Eclipse but I think that he basically has no room because the actual characters he's based on are actually IN comics. Sunspot and Havok.

But also I think that defining Lorna's personality by her relationship with other people (namely, the men) in her life is a part of an issue. Let her have a moment where she can just be herself on her own terms. Not Havok's, not Magneto's, hers.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    But also I think that defining Lorna's personality by her relationship with other people (namely, the men) in her life is a part of an issue. Let her have a moment where she can just be herself on her own terms. Not Havok's, not Magneto's, hers.
    Lorna's character needs to be written around her major life events not personal connections if she is to ever grow.

I will only say one of the reasons why I liked Lorna in the first few years after she returned from Genosha was that she was open enough to consider trying new things including new romantic relationships. The character has only had one sexual partner confirmed in all her decades as a character. I was hoping in terms of the Krakoa era we would see the re-emergence of a Lorna one could imagine trying out new men or women for that matter.

She should be able to have fun or have a romance. Lorna and Logan's banter which seemed to be building towards a relationship in 2004 was on paper one of the better ideas for a ship any Marvel writer had for her. Diametrically opposed views at the time, but respect and a lot of personal attraction. Gambit and Lorna was ok, but they didn't really hammer out what it was based on in ANXF.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-31-2020 at 04:16 PM.

I'm really excited to potentially see more of Terry's 'Morrigan' persona, but I'm a little bummed Dani isn't here as a Valkyrie. Since Dani is called for elsewhere, I think it'd be cool if 'Morrigan' joined the supporting cast alongside the Five.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL....I think Salarta would be perfectly fine with just that. They were together or a long time and it should be mentioned but I will agree with not liking how it was brought up here. It makes Lorna look pathetic making a call to an ex she hasnt been with in years bc she is lonely. Like get it together girl. Im getting second hand embarrassment for her bc he didnt even think enough about her to respond back (assuming he wasnt out on Hellions business). This puts her in a position to look weak waiting around for him instead of keeping her in charge when it comes to whatever dynamic they have. She tends to be subordinate to whatever is going on in his life
    That relationship was trash but Lorna saying that was so relatable lmao. I've definitely sent a regrettable text to an unworthy man before.

If Lorna is finding her own in this book, I think it will still be a process. She could suddenly become a fearless Clamezon (or an Asian ninja) but it wouldn't necessarily feel earned. I have a feeling between this and the less-than-subtle emotionally abusive Magneto in her XoS chapter that Leah is going to give Lorna a redemptive arc and this was part of the thesis for why it is necessary
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 12-31-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Now I feel old.

Fantastic Member

Daken And Rachel should get together instead of Aurora

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'm multitudes.

Marvel hasn't acknowledged Lorna's history with Genosha in the comics in over 15 years. This drunk dial joke, alone, is literally more than they've done for Lorna and Genosha since then. Nevermind how this isn't the only time Marvel's done this thing of shoehorning mentions of Havok, they've done it constantly and repeatedly since 2017 (and I only stop there because of her two years in forced limbo; they did it to her on ANXF too).

What it comes down to is that Marvel can always find an excuse to bring up Havok, but they can never find a single panel in 15 years to offer even a throwaway line about what she went through on Genosha. This exact same line could've been a drunk dial to Gambit, for example, in following with the Gambit stripper she had at her bachelorette party in the 00s. But that wouldn't have promoted Havok and forcing him into Lorna's life for the billionth time. You may not like that I'm mad about Marvel acting like Genosha never happened to Lorna, but your not liking it doesn't change facts.

Also, curious question: has Havok having dated Lorna come up at all on Hellions? Even once? Even as a joke? I'm serious, if it has then it's good for me to know. If not, then why?

P.S. - I didn't even mention Genosha in my first post. I only said things truly meaningful in her history. Which, yes, Genosha is top among them in my view. Kinda hard to top surviving a genocide where millions of people died begging for you specifically to save them. But you brought that in. Showing just how important it should be, compared to how Marvel treats it.
    The fact that Marvel hasn't acknowledged Lorna's history with Genosha has NOTHING to do with Alex, it's NOT his fault. Just goes to show that it wasn't Alex keeping Lorna back, but he seems to get the lions share of the blame, and no I do think that Lorna should be one of the big guns...only that it wasn't Alex holding her back and it's not because she's not a great character...

pretty much all of Alex's other relationships have been trainwrecks so I'm not sure that he'd be in any big hurry to revisit them...Lorna did come up in Hellions but it wasn't from Alex and yeah Sinister used it to get under Magneto's-who's never liked Alex-skin, and it worked...

And Lorna and Alex's relationship was not trash imho...not perfect but what pairing is...