Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default so with the Black Widow release...

being now May 2021, I wonder how this affects putting this in theaters with the COVID vaccine being distributed. I'm guessing they're assuming by that time it'll be safe to congregate in theaters. But if, by that time it's not quite time yet, then what? Delay yet again? Maybe put it on Disney PLus? I'm pretty sure they're not going to do what WB did with their 2021 slate. Hopefully they have a backup plan just in case. Good thing the BW movie is a one and done that I think takes place after Cap Civil War.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    being now May 2021, I wonder how this affects putting this in theaters with the COVID vaccine being distributed. I'm guessing they're assuming by that time it'll be safe to congregate in theaters. But if, by that time it's not quite time yet, then what? Delay yet again? Maybe put it on Disney PLus? I'm pretty sure they're not going to do what WB did with their 2021 slate. Hopefully they have a backup plan just in case. Good thing the BW movie is a one and done that I think takes place after Cap Civil War.
    With distribution of the vaccine at record low levels (current estimates are 10 years for 80% of the US population) i would like to think this won't affect their plans to release the movie to theaters. Hopefully our next president will be able to turn this around, but I think regardless May is an optimistic date for it to be safe to go to a theater.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 12-31-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Most Marvel films should be a theatrical release. The money made at the box office isn't the only profit made from these films but the merchandising and licensing is affected to. Like it or not movies and shows on a streaming service have a shorter life span in terms of staying in people's minds and view. if I'm Disney, anything Marvel or Star Wars that costs over $100 million to make is automatically a theater release regardless if it needs to get pushed back especially with the vaccine being available and distributed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Most Marvel films should be a theatrical release. The money made at the box office isn't the only profit made from these films but the merchandising and licensing is affected to. Like it or not movies and shows on a streaming service have a shorter life span in terms of staying in people's minds and view. if I'm Disney, anything Marvel or Star Wars that costs over $100 million to make is automatically a theater release regardless if it needs to get pushed back especially with the vaccine being available and distributed.
    Yeah I agree with you, but what I was asking is how with the slow distribution of the vaccine ( Trump said 20 million would be vaccinated by end of 2020, and as of today, unless my figures are wrong only 2 million have been vaccinated) how that affects their plan to release BW and the other Marvel movies for 2021 in theaters, and if by that time still not quite safe to go out, what the backup plan might be.

Incredible Member

Yeah I agree with you, but what I was asking is how with the slow distribution of the vaccine ( Trump said 20 million would be vaccinated by end of 2020, and as of today, unless my figures are wrong only 2 million have been vaccinated) how that affects their plan to release BW and the other Marvel movies for 2021 in theaters, and if by that time still not quite safe to go out, what the backup plan might be.
    I think with the distribution of the vaccine May is fine, possibly cutting close. My opinion is that theaters will begin their recovery around mid next year so anything before May has a chance of being pushed back while everything after May should hold its date. At this point I don't think that many Marvel films can be moved out of 2021 and I just think they get released with lower than usual return.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-31-2020 at 12:19 PM.

BANNED

I think with the distribution of the vaccine May is fine, possibly cutting close. My opinion is that theaters will begin their recovery around mid next year so anything before May has a chance of being pushed back while everything after May should hold its date.
    The distribution of the vaccine is going to have be 100% more efficient than it currently is in order for May to be fine. It's possible. Depends on how well the new amin can hit the ground running, and whether the Senate will give him any roadblocks.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

May is cutting it close.

By that time enough people should be vaccinated to make opening theaters financially viable... if you can wind a way to make sure only vaccinated people are admitted. I've heard talk about "vaccine passports" but it seems to me like that's just a new market for criminals to start churning out forgeries.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    The distribution of the vaccine is going to have be 100% more efficient than it currently is in order for May to be fine. It's possible. Depends on how well the new amin can hit the ground running, and whether the Senate will give him any roadblocks.
    One thing we need to understand is everything isn't going to be back to normal like that for theaters. They should have a steady trend upward the more covid cases go down and people get vaccinated. This will likely be a slow to moderate speed. Any film released period in 2021 will not make the same amount of money that it would have in a normal year and I think the studios know that but its still more profitable than streaming at the moment.

BANNED

One thing we need to understand is everything isn't going to be back to normal like that for theaters. They should have a steady trend upward the more covid cases go down and people get vaccinated. This will likely be a slow to moderate speed. Any film released period in 2021 will not make the same amount of money that it would have in a normal year and I think the studios know that but its still more profitable than streaming at the moment.
    Also more deadly if they jump the gun

It is not being delayed again, MCU has the same problem with comics now that if you delay a thing then everything else is affected and they have interconnected stories with their movies/shows that if they get pushed back and cause more trouble schedule wise. Anyways every movie company is releasing movies this year knowing that are going to take a finical hit of some form.

The Covid crisis has hit a more stable point and the incoming president seems to have a priority of dealing with Covid so I expect to see a bigger vaccine and mask push in Late Jan and Feb. So the worse is over and things will be staying open and lockdown will be more limited in the future. By March will reach a point when Theaters will be open a little more comfortably than now. Now I want to say that people won't be going back in droves but universal here in Florida hit capacity the other day so it clear some people aren't that afraid.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-31-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

From what I understand, right now the delay in distributing the vaccines are human issues. We only have so many people trained who can give immunization shots to people, so we can only immunize X people per day. That said, in my not-an-expert opinion, you would think that it's a solvable problem and once they get more people who are able to give out vaccines they can bring in people exponentially to get their shots as the shots come in.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Interesting to see Tom Hanks acknowledge that theaters will need the MCU to save them. I agree that it'll be the franchises that will bring people back.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    From what I understand, right now the delay in distributing the vaccines are human issues. We only have so many people trained who can give immunization shots to people, so we can only immunize X people per day. That said, in my not-an-expert opinion, you would think that it's a solvable problem and once they get more people who are able to give out vaccines they can bring in people exponentially to get their shots as the shots come in.
    That doesn't make sense to me. Vaccines aren't new technology. They are easily accessible via multiple channels to people of all ages. Pretty much every doctor, nurse and pharmacist can give a vaccine. The issue must be a supply chain problem because if doctors, hospitals, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, etc. had the vaccine, they could handle it.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 12-31-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post

That doesn't make sense to me. Vaccines aren't new technology. They are easily accessible via multiple channels to people of all ages. Pretty much every doctor, nurse and pharmacist can give a vaccine. The issue must be a supply chain problem because if doctors, hospitals, Walmart, Walgreen's, CVS, etc. had the vaccine, they could handle it.
    There's also a pandemic causing labor shortages in hospitals. There's a supply problem in terms of needing special freezers but right now there are tons of hospitals sitting on vaccines. I expect Walmart/Walgreens/etc will have it during phases 1b or 1c.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rt/4087690001/
    Last edited by titanfan; 12-31-2020 at 09:11 PM.

BANNED

There are also tens of thousands of retired nurses and doctors who could be called in to help, as well as medical professionals who have the training but have moved to other areas of health care, but that apparently hasn't been considered yet.

Mighty Member

Default Black Widow Disney+ premier access or theatrical?

So, Bob Chapek came out and said that he was flexible with the both putting the release on Premier Access and theatrical while Kevin Feige gave a flat "no way". I understand that the movie had a large budget and they want to make their money back. And fans like me are ready to see it. But I think putting it on Premier Access won't hurt. Sure, it'll make less than putting in theaters but it'll at least get something back. I'm sure it'll get a ton of views just like WW84 did. I'm kind of surprised the release of Shang Chi hasn't entered the conversation either. I'm guessing they haven't moved the date or aren't going to move the date, because of the other crowded releases being moved back as well.