• CW Supergirl

2 4.00%
  • CW Superman

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    When does she make her appearance? I may watch just for Durance. I've heard nothing but praise for her Lois Lane.
    Season 4, episode 1. She's a reoccurring guest throughout season 4 and becomes a regular 5-10. I'm actually doing a rewatch of the show for the first time since it aired, haha.

Well there are 10 seasons and Lois first appears in season 4. She appears in several episodes that season but she isn't a regular. Let's just say that her and Clark have a rocky start and while it's immediately entertaining to watch them together, they won't even admit they are friends until some time later. Lana Lang is still the only person Clark thinks about until season 8. So if what you want is to see their relationship take a romantic turn it starts to turn that way in season 8. It's probably the best entry point over all for the latter seasons.

But before that they really have a lot of fun as two people that pretend they can't quite stand each other.

If you start watching and you don't really like it I would still recommend you watch this playlist of the scenes between the two of them. It has all the funny, romantic and dramatic moments of the two.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...apCMDXIGgm5HHi
    (This one for season 4)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...8SSTSNzjX0qXsk
    (This one for the rest)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Season 4, episode 1. She's a reoccurring guest throughout season 4 and becomes a regular 5-10. I'm actually doing a rewatch of the show for the first time since it aired, haha.
    Sounds like I've got something to watch too.

Solidarity, man. It's a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, dang, I forgot all about that All-Star Superman theme, it slaps!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Sooo upon finishing it- I have to say that the later seasons are really horrible. The show is a lot of fun till season 5 and then just really dips off. Lois is fun in season 4 and 5 though!

Still disagree. The whole cave markings plot was absolutely boring to me early on. I don't really care for the Checkmate stories, and I don't love what they did with the Fourth World, but Zod and the kryptonians on earth were great in season 9, Doomsday and his alterego had a cool story in season 8, and there are plenty of one off episodes season 8-10 that are very entertaining. Whenever something weird happens to Clark or Lois, or when a new superhero or supervillain appears. All the flashforwards and time travel and alternate universes. It was almost like the silver age in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Still disagree. The whole cave markings plot was absolutely boring to me early on. I don't really care for the Checkmate stories, and I don't love what they did with the Fourth World, but Zod and the kryptonians on earth were great in season 9, Doomsday and his alterego had a cool story in season 8, and there are plenty of one off episodes season 8-10 that are very entertaining. Whenever something weird happens to Clark or Lois, or when a new superhero or supervillain appears. All the flashforwards and time travel and alternate universes. It was almost like the silver age in a way.
    I agree with you that the stories could have been really zany fun and Silver Age-y but their ability to tell them was where it fell apart. The show really suffers from how cheap it looks and how small the cast is in the final seasons. When it becomes a CW show it's a lot of people just talking in rooms about more interesting things that we can't see. There's also no one else around outside of the main cast and a few extras. There are some exceptions to this, Doctor Fate showed up and looked great.

I personally loved the caves in the early seasons. Seasons 1-5 had a real X-Files vibe, almost better at it than the X-Files was. The show looked really good too, and felt like it was a legit start to Superman. It's really a totally different show.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-25-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Smallville is really more like two separate shows, probably with totally different target audiences for the most part. Later Smallville is more of a proto-Arrowverse in my mind.

I actually mostly like it, but maybe that strong sense of distinction between the early and later seasons, is a big part of why I thought the theme music outstayed its welcome so much - it really felt like it was the theme song to an early '00s teen drama with super-powers, and not a late '00s super-hero show.

I also think they could have just stepped up and started having people call him "Superman" starting in like season 8, considering his m.o. as a super-hero - they don't even need to give him the costume in my opinion! But that's neither here nor there for the music thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Smallville is really more like two separate shows, probably with totally different target audiences for the most part. Later Smallville is more of a proto-Arrowverse in my mind.

I actually mostly like it, but maybe that strong sense of distinction between the early and later seasons, is a big part of why I thought the theme music outstayed its welcome so much - it really felt like it was the theme song to an early '00s teen drama with super-powers, and not a late '00s super-hero show.

I also think they could have just stepped up and started having people call him "Superman" starting in like season 8, considering his m.o. as a super-hero - they don't even need to give him the costume in my opinion! But that's neither here nor there for the music thread.
    Is there a thread on Smallville? I got a lot of thoughts on it!

The theme does feel out of place when it becomes a CW superhero show, and loses that teen angst mixed with sci fi Americana that really made it work.

Incredible Member

While I do love the Superman March and STAS Theme, my personal favourite will always be the "Superman: Doomsday" Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HrFrAspWF8

Extraordinary Member

Early Smallville was a good teen show held back by a terrible romance subplot with Lana. Late Smallville was a bad superhero show elevated by the terrific Clark/Lois dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Early Smallville was a good teen show held back by a terrible romance subplot with Lana. Late Smallville was a bad superhero show elevated by the terrific Clark/Lois dynamic.
    That's a pretty good observation. Lex was the best part of earlier seasons, Lois was the best part of the later seasons a lot of the time. I don't know if I'd call it "bad" later on, but it's a very unusual kind of show.

I have no insights onto Smallville's musical score though, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    While I do love the Superman March and STAS Theme, my personal favourite will always be the "Superman: Doomsday" Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HrFrAspWF8
    Superman Doomsday had a real good theme. Honestly it's surprising they've only brought it back one time, as Superman's musical motif in "Superman vs the Elite," whose own opening credits was a more frenetic pop-culture History of Superman collage rock montage thing.

Retired

I've started rewatching LOIS & CLARK from the beginning and to my untrained ear it sounds like the theme composer, Jay Gruska, used elements of the John Williams score for his new work. It has that feeling of being familiar yet new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giTNQ1Q9j74

The Superman movie theme is THE Superman theme song in my opinion. It is epic and exciting just like Superman himself.