Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Ben Reilly appearing in next week's Iron-man 5.

https://www.previewsworld.com/NewRel...ate=01/06/2021

and gives you a update what he been doing, pretty cool

Astonishing Member

I had trouble finding it at your link, so here’s another link: https://www.superherohype.com/comics...iew-iron-man-5

My reaction is “eh.” I know beggars shouldn’t be choosers, but I’m not a fan of when Ben Reilly is depicted as a C-list joke character as seems to be the case here. Also, I really wish he and Kaine would return to the core Spidey books instead of randomly appearing in other books once a year (this year, Iron Man.... last year I think he appeared in Conan of all things...). That said, since I’m a Ben super fan, I’ll give it a shot. Guess I’m buying Iron Man next week for the first time since the Extremis arc like a decade ago lol.

It's nice to see them remember Ben exists even if this preview seems to be taking him as seriously as Conan did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I had trouble finding it at your link, so here’s another link: https://www.superherohype.com/comics...iew-iron-man-5

My reaction is “eh.” I know beggars shouldn’t be choosers, but I’m not a fan of when Ben Reilly is depicted as a C-list joke character as seems to be the case here. Also, I really wish he and Kaine would return to the core Spidey books instead of randomly appearing in other books once a year (this year, Iron Man.... last year I think he appeared in Conan of all things...). That said, since I’m a Ben super fan, I’ll give it a shot. Guess I’m buying Iron Man next week for the first time since the Extremis arc like a decade ago lol.
    The new writer, Chris Cantwell is genuinely good at comics. And the current run is interesting.

Also Matt Fraction did a few good takes with Iron Man after Extremis (by the disgraced Warren Ellis) including "World's Most Wanted" which Has Norman Osborn beating the crap out of Tony Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The new writer, Chris Cantwell is genuinely good at comics. And the current run is interesting.

Also Matt Fraction did a few good takes with Iron Man after Extremis (by the disgraced Warren Ellis) including "World's Most Wanted" which Has Norman Osborn beating the crap out of Tony Stark.
    I did like that scene in Fraction's run where Norman immediately tries to find out who Spider-Man is when he has access to Tony's SHIELD resources (before Tony locked him out).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's nice to see them remember Ben exists even if this preview seems to be taking him as seriously as Conan did.
    Hopefully he fares better here than he did in Conan: Battle for the Serpent Crown #2. After all, being a "human Xerox" of Spider-Man, he has all (or most of) the same basic capabilities and is arguably somewhat more streetwise, having traveled across and around the United States for the first five years of his existence trying to make a life for himself while confronting some of the worst kinds of scum and villainy, albeit on a more human level. Plus, he did improve on the web-shooters by making impact webbing, paralytic stingers, and microdot tracers, even if he had to wear them outside his gloves due to how bulky they were in comparison to Peter's. Tradeoffs, I guess.

Then again, this is the same guy who made Cardiac an outright terrorist holding people hostage in Iron Man #2 as opposed to a vigilante crusading against the kind of corruption that manipulates and twists the law to enable people who ruin or even end other people's lives to get away with it as long as they have money, power, and connections, so maybe some worry about how he'll handle Ben is reasonable.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

I know she's not the biggest character ever but I thought Misty would be seen as a bigger character in-universe than the others. That being said I unashamedly love all of those characters so I'm excited for this...oh and Tony is wrong; Frog Man does have an action figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hopefully he fares better here than he did in Conan: Battle for the Serpent Crown #2. After all, being a "human Xerox" of Spider-Man, he has all (or most of) the same basic capabilities and is arguably somewhat more streetwise, having traveled across and around the United States for the first five years of his existence trying to make a life for himself while confronting some of the worst kinds of scum and villainy, albeit on a more human level. Plus, he did improve on the web-shooters by making impact webbing, paralytic stingers, and microdot tracers, even if he had to wear them outside his gloves due to how bulky they were in comparison to Peter's. Tradeoffs, I guess.

Then again, this is the same guy who made Cardiac an outright terrorist holding people hostage in Iron Man #2 as opposed to a vigilante crusading against the kind of corruption that manipulates and twists the law to enable people who ruin or even end other people's lives to get away with it as long as they have money, power, and connections, so maybe some worry about how he'll handle Ben is reasonable.
    I mean, with Ben there you practically have Spider-Man if you're handling him right.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I know she's not the biggest character ever but I thought Misty would be seen as a bigger character in-universe than the others. That being said I unashamedly love all of those characters so I'm excited for this...oh and Tony is wrong; Frog Man does have an action figure.
    Misty is pretty cool, I can agree with you on that, and I liked her role in Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors and its continuation in the Ravencroft miniseries, both written by Frank Tieri.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, with Ben there you practically have Spider-Man if you're handling him right.
    Uh-huh, which is a double-edged sword, though given Tony needs a team that can go under the radar of someone like Michael Korvac, Scarlet's lack of in-universe notoriety compared to Spider-Man could work for him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Misty is pretty cool, I can agree with you on that, and I liked her role in Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors and its continuation in the Ravencroft miniseries, both written by Frank Tieri.

Uh-huh, which is a double-edged sword, though given Tony needs a team that can go under the radar of someone like Michael Korvac, Scarlet's lack of in-universe notoriety compared to Spider-Man could work for him.
    They might as well use him for this given the reasons you already mentioned, Ben was already a hated character back in the 90's and was brought back and of course reset (to appease the minority of Ben haters) before disappearing again. So maybe this will be a good exercise for Reilly.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    They might as well use him for this given the reasons you already mentioned, Ben was already a hated character back in the 90's and was brought back and of course reset (to appease the minority of Ben haters) before disappearing again.
    Are you talking about Spidergeddon? The way Ben was “reset” was stupid, but the ends justified the means. Slott with the CC arc and later PAD with his mostly awful SS run ruined Ben, so the only solution was killing him again or resetting him as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Are you talking about Spidergeddon? The way Ben was “reset” was stupid, but the ends justified the means. Slott with the CC arc and later PAD with his mostly awful SS run ruined Ben, so the only solution was killing him again or resetting him as they did.
    Eh, I would have preferred a less rushed and more meaningful resolution to his inner-conflict than what we got. And while I agree that I was/am fond of the 90s 'original' Ben, I can recognize and accept the fact that characters change all of the time -- that being said while I wasn't in love with PAD's run of Scarlet Spider (there's a few, actually a ton of things I would have done differently but that's for a different thread) I can appreciate the attempt to try and do something different with him, I feel like if he wasn't rushed PAD would have given Ben a proper resolution (he created Spider-Man 2099 after all).
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

cantwell's iron man run is a joke so ben fits right in!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Eh, I would have preferred a less rushed and more meaningful resolution to his inner-conflict than what we got. And while I agree that I was/am fond of the 90s 'original' Ben, I can recognize and accept the fact that characters change all of the time -- that being said while I wasn't in love with PAD's run of Scarlet Spider (there's a few, actually a ton of things I would have done differently but that's for a different thread) I can appreciate the attempt to try and do something different with him, I feel like if he wasn't rushed PAD would have given Ben a proper resolution (he created Spider-Man 2099 after all).
    Change is good when it’s organic. Ben’s heel-turn was contrived and plot-driven. Imo, he should’ve probably stayed dead. And I’m saying that as a huge Ben fan. As for PAD’s SS, he admitted never liking the character in the 90s. I don’t think he had any particular affection for the character, but did it at the behest of Marvel. His run had a few glimmers of hope, like the issue where Ben battled Death for Kaine’s soul... but the ending flushed all that good will down the toilet. In today’s marketplace a comic starring a non-flagship character reaching 25 issues is actually quite the feat, so PAD should’ve planned in advance for a premature ending. In any event, it didn’t have to end with Ben becoming evil again in the last issue; that was ridiculously unsatisfying. I don’t know anyone who wants Evil Ben, except a couple creatives at Marvel. Almost all Ben fans want Ben the good guy... he can have change and development (look at the ‘Life Story’ mini for an example of Ben having organic growth), but becoming a bad guy isn’t change. It’s just poor writing.

To the surprise of nobody, I will be buying this.

-Pav, who loves the darker red of the costume...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details