Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Thor was badass in the KiB issue, i was happy. It feels like this is the Thor we have been missing for quite a few years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    There are many valid complaints to be had with regards to Cates' Thor.

But after King in Black 3, I will fight anyone who says that he doesn't have Thor's voice down perfectly.
    I disagree with Cates take on Thor being a "jerk Superman", i have no idea what made him say that, but as long as he doesn't actually write him like that and he really hasn't so far, i am ok with it.

That's good to hear. It really feels like the past era, and Hemsworth, have made people kind of lose sight of Thor's voice and personality to some extent.

hm not bad.

BANNED

We can add YET ANOTHER linewide event where Thor comes in and single handedly deals with the threat that the combined might of all Earth heroes couldn't.

King in Black #3 was amazing.

DONNY CATES (W) • NIC KLEIN (A) • Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    Variant cover by NIC KLEIN
    REBORN VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    THE FINALE OF "PREY" – AND THE FIGHT OF THOR'S LIFE!
    All-Father Thor breaks out of his prison! But Donald Blake has amassed more power than the King of Asgard can know. One thing is certain: When the hammer comes down, only one man will remain standing. Big action and big stakes are the Donny Cates and Nic Klein special – but you've never seen them like this before. This is the issue you can't miss!

DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON (W) • DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON (A/C)
    Variant Cover by Paul Pope
    VALHALLA IS CALLING, BETA RAY BILL!
    Bill goes hunting for Odin, still desperate to resurrect his lost hammer Stormbreaker – but the former King of Asgard is far from his glory days. Stormbreaker is never coming back…but there is one place where Beta Ray Bill could restore his full powers. The All-Father of nothing offers the Korbinite a path to immortality – at a price not even a god can afford. Daniel Warren Johnson and Mike Spicer's off-the-rails tale of cosmic vengeance and barroom breakdowns continues here!
    Last edited by GodThor; 01-22-2021 at 02:24 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Nice to see Thor being a badass in events again.

I can’t think of any other character in all of comics who can pull off the bold & epic badassness that Thor does.

Sif in Austraiia by Thor Love and Thunder

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I disagree with Cates take on Thor being a "jerk Superman", i have no idea what made him say that, but as long as he doesn't actually write him like that and he really hasn't so far, i am ok with it.
    I think people put way too much faith in interviews. Some seem to assume that the writer is free to speak his mind, instead of simply saying what he thinks people want to hear.

We've not seen jerk Superman once in this run. And for all his so called love of Aaron's run, Cates had taken noticeable steps against it.

He's far from a perfect writer, but I think we can say he does have a good appreciation for the character

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think people put way too much faith in interviews. Some seem to assume that the writer is free to speak his mind, instead of simply saying what he thinks people want to hear.

We've not seen jerk Superman once in this run. And for all his so called love of Aaron's run, Cates had taken noticeable steps against it.

He's far from a perfect writer, but I think we can say he does have a good appreciation for the character
    Now I feel compelled to take a chance on the run. The "Jerk Superman" statement put me right off, but if it never came to pass then obviously I need to rethink my prejudice against this run.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Now I feel compelled to take a chance on the run. The "Jerk Superman" statement put me right off, but if it never came to pass then obviously I need to rethink my prejudice against this run.
    personally I wasn't fan of Cates first arc of Thor.

it was just ok.

after that, he steps up a lot.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    personally I wasn't fan of Cates first arc of Thor.

it was just ok.

after that, he steps up a lot.
    Agree with this. I’m enjoying the current “Prey” storyline.
    If anything I just wish Cates would let the run take a breather. Two pretty huge threats on the bounce leaves little room for any smaller stories or personal drama. And it also opens the question of “how do you get bigger than that?”

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    There are great flaws with this run thus far, and Cates' works in general.

But his characterization of Thor is not one of them.

His Thor is intelligent, empathetic, regal and powerful. He was nice enough to allow a guy to fly some with his hammer, coaching him through it simply for fun, he took no guff from Galactus or Loki, and his prank on Tony was pretty funny.

This is not your Aaron's Thor, not by a mile.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post

DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON (W) • DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON (A/C)
    Variant Cover by Paul Pope
    VALHALLA IS CALLING, BETA RAY BILL!
    Bill goes hunting for Odin, still desperate to resurrect his lost hammer Stormbreaker – but the former King of Asgard is far from his glory days. Stormbreaker is never coming back…but there is one place where Beta Ray Bill could restore his full powers. The All-Father of nothing offers the Korbinite a path to immortality – at a price not even a god can afford. Daniel Warren Johnson and Mike Spicer's off-the-rails tale of cosmic vengeance and barroom breakdowns continues here!
    I would love a mini by Johnson with his art, it is so dynamic and bad ass.

I cannot wait to pick this up

so when does the Breaking Don arc finally end?