Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 385
  1. #301
    Astonishing Member GodThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I miss the old days of Thor. Everything in Thor's solo was great through Walter Simonson (probably some of my favorite there) - I followed Thor through the end of that volume; into the JRJR run and into the Copiel run - tried the God Killer or whatever from Aaron and could not get into it. Everything since - I just... don't enjoy, for myself.
    I don't blame you.

    Thor's mythos trailed off a lot.

  2. #302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I don't blame you.

    Thor's mythos trailed off a lot.
    So I am not alone? I know a lot of people say, "It's because you've gotten older."

    But the counter to that argument is - I didn't stop reading comics. I stopped reading new comics. I still re-read old Thor, old X-Men, old New Mutants, old Avengers, old Defenders.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

  3. #303
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I miss the old days of Thor. Everything in Thor's solo was great through Walter Simonson (probably some of my favorite there) - I followed Thor through the end of that volume; into the JRJR run and into the Copiel run - tried the God Killer or whatever from Aaron and could not get into it. Everything since - I just... don't enjoy, for myself.
    I started reading Thor towards the tail end of the Simonson run, with Sal Buscema on art up through the Defalco/Frenz run. I left after the Thor War. I went back for the Ellis World Engine arc through the Messner-Loebs run to close out the original series. I fondly remember the story of a depowered Thor & Cap trying to restore order in the streets while noting that Cap may take more risks due to having Thor backing him up (and failing to comprehend that Odinson is not at full power). I read the Jurgens run, but left after he became king, and was no longer worthy. I came back for Rune Thor, and enjoyed the JMS run. I left again a bit after Kid Loki came about.

    I lose interest when Thor is less a noble warrior, and carries on as an angry meat-head.

    I recently read the bulk of the Lee/Kirby run. I read an issue where Thor provided commentary on the Civil Rights movement, and racial unrest during the tail end of the Kirby run. It was weird, but I was pleasantly surprised by that. Historically, I love most of Thor's appearances in Avengers throughout the decades until AvX, and beyond. I'm okay with Bendis Thor.

    I clearly made the right move to avoid Aron/modern Thor. I do enjoy MCU Thor. He is a mix of humor & tragedy, but I found similar themes through both the Lee/Kirby & Simonson runs, too.

    Put Thor through the ringer. His origin involves his father wiping his memories, having him live as a mortal with a slight handicap. He is a god that cares about, and fights to preserve life. His honor, pride, and experience will ultimately see him through. I can't deal with Thor as a punching bag, or a guy with zero strategy when in battle. He is historically the last Avenger standing in their most dire battles.

  4. #304
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    4,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I started reading Thor towards the tail end of the Simonson run, with Sal Buscema on art up through the Defalco/Frenz run. I left after the Thor War. I went back for the Ellis World Engine arc through the Messner-Loebs run to close out the original series. I fondly remember the story of a depowered Thor & Cap trying to restore order in the streets while noting that Cap may take more risks due to having Thor backing him up (and failing to comprehend that Odinson is not at full power). I read the Jurgens run, but left after he became king, and was no longer worthy. I came back for Rune Thor, and enjoyed the JMS run. I left again a bit after Kid Loki came about.

    I lose interest when Thor is less a noble warrior, and carries on as an angry meat-head.

    I recently read the bulk of the Lee/Kirby run. I read an issue where Thor provided commentary on the Civil Rights movement, and racial unrest during the tail end of the Kirby run. It was weird, but I was pleasantly surprised by that. Historically, I love most of Thor's appearances in Avengers throughout the decades until AvX, and beyond. I'm okay with Bendis Thor.

    I clearly made the right move to avoid Aron/modern Thor. I do enjoy MCU Thor. He is a mix of humor & tragedy, but I found similar themes through both the Lee/Kirby & Simonson runs, too.

    Put Thor through the ringer. His origin involves his father wiping his memories, having him live as a mortal with a slight handicap. He is a god that cares about, and fights to preserve life. His honor, pride, and experience will ultimately see him through. I can't deal with Thor as a punching bag, or a guy with zero strategy when in battle. He is historically the last Avenger standing in their most dire battles.
    Thanks for sharing, Mr. Shaw. Thor is an all-time great, and one of my favorites.
    I'm also in agreement with you about him being the last one standing when facing disasters.
    One of the more memorable examples came during the Korvac Saga, which is an all-time classic (IMHO):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-28-2021 at 01:42 AM.

  5. #305
    Astonishing Member GodThor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,017

    Default

    I started with JMS and then went to old days like Lee/Kirby, Simmonson etc.

    I'm both fan and not a fan of Cates run.
    Last edited by GodThor; 02-28-2021 at 02:52 AM.

  6. #306
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    63,866

    Default

    Cates is okay to me.

  7. #307
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Mr. Shaw. Thor is an all-time great, and one of my favorites.
    I'm also in agreement with you about him being the last one standing when facing disasters.
    One of the more memorable examples came during the Korvac Saga, which is an all-time classic (IMHO):
    Thanks for posting that panel.

    I loved how Thor developed a very personal grudge against Kang following the Celestial Madonna saga. Thor was one of the last members standing during the Assault on Olympus arc, although it probably helped that Hela put the curse of life eternal without being able to heal (as Zeus was particularly trying his best to slay the Thunder god). He was one of the last left standing during the weird Walter Simonson run on Avengers. I believe he was the last Avenger standing during Byrne's opening arc where the lava men attacked the Avengers (that line-up had She-Hulk, Forgotten One, Namor, and I think Quasar just joined). That story also featured the first multi-issue arc I ever owned that featured Black Panther.

    It's tough hearing about Thor struggling in an Avengers book, when he's supposed to be the last line of defense.

  8. #308

    Default

    ... when will the "unworthiness" story arcs be over?

  9. #309
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    4,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Thanks for posting that panel.

    I loved how Thor developed a very personal grudge against Kang following the Celestial Madonna saga. Thor was one of the last members standing during the Assault on Olympus arc, although it probably helped that Hela put the curse of life eternal without being able to heal (as Zeus was particularly trying his best to slay the Thunder god). He was one of the last left standing during the weird Walter Simonson run on Avengers. I believe he was the last Avenger standing during Byrne's opening arc where the lava men attacked the Avengers (that line-up had She-Hulk, Forgotten One, Namor, and I think Quasar just joined). That story also featured the first multi-issue arc I ever owned that featured Black Panther.

    It's tough hearing about Thor struggling in an Avengers book, when he's supposed to be the last line of defense.
    In agreement with you about every example you mentioned. But, don't forget Thor's comeback against the Destroyer from Heroes Return: Thor #1 (1998):


  10. #310
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    In agreement with you about every example you mentioned. But, don't forget Thor's comeback against the Destroyer from Heroes Return: Thor #1 (1998):

    You're right! The Jurgen/JRJR was great!

    I would lol whenever Jake lost his patience, and the Thor speech pattern would emerge.

    "Get thee gone, woman."

  11. #311
    Death of Time Cronus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    I actually liked most of the stuff I read from volume II of Thor. The early Jurgen's/Romita stuff seemed like a deliberate attempt to reconnect with some of the classic stories as noted above. Heck even the Enchanters appeared in the Jurgen's/Romita run. Good stuff.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"

  12. #312
    Invincible Member juan678's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    20,480

    Default



    False Odin (Sam Neil) False Loki (Mat Damon) False Thor (Luker Hermsworth)

  13. #313
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    63,866

    Default

    So we're repeating this joke ?

  14. #314
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So we're repeating this joke ?
    Which is weird, because the joke worked in Ragnorak because it showed how vain King Loki was.

    But without Loki... I don't see how it works outside of, "har har we did this last movie but now we have fakeHela!"
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  15. #315
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    63,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Which is weird, because the joke worked in Ragnorak because it showed how vain King Loki was.

    But without Loki... I don't see how it works outside of, "har har we did this last movie but now we have fakeHela!"
    To be honest I think they treated Loki too much like a punchline in Ragnarok. Like all his machinations and maneuvering and he just gets turned into comedy relief.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •