Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Same here.

There's something about Cate's Thor so far that really sings to me...that I didn't/couldn't really hear in Jason Aaron's Thor.
    I don't mind his Thor. His Thor is fine (Aaron's Thor was more than fine too until Jane came along)

I don't like Cate's stories. They seem to fizzle.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

From what I've read Cates' Thor is an improvement from Aaron, but I just feel like with Aaron and the MCU people so easily misconstrue what Thor's personality is supposed to be that I'm very self-conscious about it.

I didn’t like how Don Blake was handled. Thor took away Odins dealings with Odins creation, Don Blake, which I thought was Odins responsibility. To me, a more satisfying ending would be if Odin negotiated with Don Blake a fairer transference of location for Blake, to say, Asgard, if Blake is Thor’s brother.

But for Thor to obviously see Blake as the God of Lies and let Loki make him so, was not considering the mental harm done to Blake by leaving him in a dimension like a doll for so long and not looking into see if he’s alright. Thor should have known this was unjust. It’s like Rick Jones sending Captain Marvel to the Negative Zone for years, and then not expecting to see Rick Jones punished for it when Captain Marvel escapes.

I would have wanted Odin to face the choices he made as the All father. Was it wrong? Was it malignant? Was it what Odin expected to happen as a challenge for a future Thor All father? You never know with these sky gods. They are tricky at the best of times. But if that which was done to Don Blake was on purpose, then we have to wonder what was Odin intending from this situation? If it was not on purpose, and Don Blake going mental was unexpected, what does a sky god do with embarrassing failure like Blake?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I see more nobility, attitude and seriousness, which are things Aaron's Thor didn't have. That guy can't write to his life.
    I agree, to an extent. Thor badly needed to regain his nobility after Aaron's destruction of the character. Now someone needs to restore Odin's nobility and wisdom. Cates does not seem to be the guy to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't mind his Thor. His Thor is fine (Aaron's Thor was more than fine too until Jane came along)

I don't like Cate's stories. They seem to fizzle.
    Agreed. This one did not end well and had some real odd bits thrown into it for (not-so) good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    From what I've read Cates' Thor is an improvement from Aaron, but I just feel like with Aaron and the MCU people so easily misconstrue what Thor's personality is supposed to be that I'm very self-conscious about it.
    True that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I didn’t like how Don Blake was handled. Thor took away Odins dealings with Odins creation, Don Blake, which I thought was Odins responsibility. To me, a more satisfying ending would be if Odin negotiated with Don Blake a fairer transference of location for Blake, to say, Asgard, if Blake is Thor’s brother.
    The idea that Don Blake is Thor's brother, as opposed to just an artificial creation of Odin's to teach Thor humility, is new to me. I'm not sure this has really ever been said before. I actually liked the ending given to Blake by Fraction: allowing the Mares to craft a dream for him to live in. It was an elegant way to end the character (Fraction had some good ideas but his execution and character development was beyond horrible in most cases). He should have stayed there, IMHO.

Astonishing Member

I've not read the Blake story

Nothing I'm seeing here is causing me to regret that

Which is good

I still feel his is a much better Thor than Aarons, but I'm not impressed by some of the ideas explored apparently, especially more nonsense with the hammer

I'm still glad I decided to hold off for trades but I'm also glad Thor is at least having no nonsense and not a down beat self loathing jerk it seems
    Last edited by kilderkin; 04-16-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Been reading Cates' run, I like it thus far.
    Then again, this run is my first time reading Thor solo comic, so dunno if he's doing him justice or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

But for Thor to obviously see Blake as the God of Lies and let Loki make him so, was not considering the mental harm done to Blake by leaving him in a dimension like a doll for so long and not looking into see if he’s alright. Thor should have known this was unjust. It’s like Rick Jones sending Captain Marvel to the Negative Zone for years, and then not expecting to see Rick Jones punished for it when Captain Marvel escapes.

I would have wanted Odin to face the choices he made as the All father. Was it wrong? Was it malignant? Was it what Odin expected to happen as a challenge for a future Thor All father? You never know with these sky gods. They are tricky at the best of times. But if that which was done to Don Blake was on purpose, then we have to wonder what was Odin intending from this situation? If it was not on purpose, and Don Blake going mental was unexpected, what does a sky god do with embarrassing failure like Blake?
    I have to agree with you. Blake got the shaft big time here. He’s right. He didn’t ask to be created. He deserves better than the ending here. This is Odin’s mistake and Only Blake suffers. Thor may have not liked sharing a life with him but again that’s on Odin. I kind of felt sorry for Blake. Not a very good ending.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Thor should have allowed Odin to competely "end" the situation.

The end was needlessly cruel and I'm surprised that Thor would even allow that kind of thing.
    The ending was a 💩on top of a cruel, bad story.

Blake didn't even get a spouse catching some of the venom!
    Thor_Vol_1_303_page_21.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    The idea that Don Blake is Thor's brother, as opposed to just an artificial creation of Odin's to teach Thor humility, is new to me. I'm not sure this has really ever been said before. I actually liked the ending given to Blake by Fraction: allowing the Mares to craft a dream for him to live in. It was an elegant way to end the character (Fraction had some good ideas but his execution and character development was beyond horrible in most cases). He should have stayed there, IMHO.
    it's a retcon by Cates pretty much.

and yeah, I agree with you.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-17-2021 at 12:05 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    it's a retcon by Cates pretty much.

and yeah, I agree with you.
    I don't think Thor meant it literally. They did share a life, after all

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't think Thor meant it literally. They did share a life, after all
    Someone else got it. *thumbs up
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

That ending for Donald Blake felt unnecessarily cruel, what did Blake do anyway apart from murder all the people in that dream world?
    But I guess Donny might come back around to him later on judging from his previous runs, so I still have some hope.
    I liked Cate's Thor a lot better than Aaron's, especially now that Aaron's Avengers run is not exactly to my taste.

That ending for Donald Blake felt unnecessarily cruel, what did Blake do anyway apart from murder all the people in that dream world?
    But I guess Donny might come back around to him later on judging from his previous runs, so I still have some hope.
    I liked Cate's Thor a lot better than Aaron's, especially now that Aaron's Avengers run is not exactly to my taste.
    alas, poor Don, we hardly knew ye. As a kid I wasn't a fan of Don's initial "erasure" but I came to highly respect Mr. Simonson's tenure on the strips. The (Roy Thomas?) retcon that Blake was a creation based on Keith Kincaid was disappointingly odd.. (or was it that Blake was real then died then Odin recreated a simulacrum? I forget).. I felt that JMS's reintroduction of Blake was very elegant, and I initially thought that the first arc's decision to have Blake visit war zones as a part of Doctors without Borders would actually continue. (I was disappointed that it didn't). I haven't read the recent years' books. If Blake was given a more humane "exit", I'd be supportive of that, as much as I still don't have a problem with the dual identity. But oh well.. it's all make believe.. Since "head canon" is a trend now, I figure I'll just quietly rationalize that the "real" Donald is relaxing in Valhalla, 'doctor heaven' or wherever else..

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Cates has issues ending stories.

Has great beginnings and his endings are... bad

This was terrible. It doesn't make any sense.
    It was excellent. Because that's how Loki is depicted as being in various mythologies. A snake dripping poison into his eyes. And he's supposed to stay there until Ragnarok begins. I loved this issue and the arc. Lol