Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post

To a non english speaking reader like me this stuff sounds totally dumb
    So now Goddesses can't be Goddesses? What ?

Are we sure Jason Aaron didn't stealth write this issue?

I don't care anymore about Freyja and Odin's marriage drama.

come on dude.

I dropped Thor comic for quite a while and you had to post this

joking aside, that's so cringy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So now Goddesses can't be Goddesses? What ?

Are we sure Jason Aaron didn't stealth write this issue?

I don't care anymore about Freyja and Odin's marriage drama.
    This issue was a total Aaron’s drama revival, parroting of the highest magnitude

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    come on dude.

I dropped Thor comic for quite a while and you had to post this

joking aside, that's so cringy.
    Trust me, that panel is not the worst part, it was one cringe after another
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Trust me, that panel is not the worst part, it was one cringe after another
    let me guess.

Freyja and Angela were scrutinizing Thor and Odin as if they are kids + hammer something, something hammer.

some female empowerment no doubt.

big, masculine Gods had to be put in their place.
    Last edited by GodThor; 10-01-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    let me guess.

Freyja and Angela were scrutinizing Thor and Odin as if they are kids + hammer something, something hammer.

some female empowerment no doubt.

big, masculine Gods had to be put in their place.
    Exactly we got the full spectrum from patronizing to dismissive, I just don’t get all the acrimony Freya and Angela keep spitting out of their pores at every turn, it’s tiresome.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Yeah, all this? Is why I no longer read Thor. Sad thing is it will never change. Love and Thunder will be here soon enough and I'm sure plenty of folks will turn out for the movie. You have to even wonder; would most people who are going to see Love and Thunder even know or care that comic Thor's character has literally been dragged through the mud for the last several years? And I'm not including Cates in on this...his run was so colorless and anti-climactic....but at least he didn't go out of his way to demean the character.

I can't stand Aaron's portrayal of Thor.

Honestly, I check into this forum from time to time to see if the writing for Thor improves. Until I start hearing good things again, I refuse to spend my money on this title. Ridiculous.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

has there been a story where Thor is stuck on a distant planet where nobody has heard of his legend, and he's not automatically the strongest around? Just wondering.

Y'know, I'm all for female empowerment that doesn't come at the expense of established male characters. Including the one that the franchise is literally named after.

Ultimate Member

Even for a native english speaker its dumb.

What's the point of that?

Most of here are quite progressive but stuff like that just gets an eyeroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, I'm all for female empowerment that doesn't come at the expense of established male characters. Including the one that the franchise is literally named after.
    Agreed. I might go as far as to say I don't feel like male characters have to be treated as blithering, incompetent idiots so female characters can shine. This is what Aaron does with Thor.

Feminism may be anti patriarchal establishment, but I don't think true feminism is meant to make men somehow lesser than women. It seems more about removing the boundaries that don't allow for even footing for both men and women.

I'm pretty sure Aaron understands all this; he's not a stupid person...which makes what he doing here all the more reprehensible.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Agreed. I might go as far as to say I don't feel like male characters have to be treated as blithering, incompetent idiots so female characters can shine. This is what Aaron does with Thor.

Feminism may be anti patriarchal establishment, but I don't think true feminism is meant to make men somehow lesser than women. It seems more about removing the boundaries that don't allow for even footing for both men and women.

I'm pretty sure Aaron understands all this; he's not a stupid person...which makes what he doing here all the more reprehensible.
    What makes you think he understands it?

Too many writers have, for decades now, assume that feminism is anti-men on some level. It's Thundera's basic character.

Aaron himself, a declared atheist, couldn't avoid the atheist stereotype (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...llywoodAtheist) with Thor. To Aaron, Thor did the right thing just to lift the hammer, not because it's the right thing.

Sadly, in America we have an Madonna–whore we often apply to others outside of our group. With regards to Aaron, women aren't men, so they're better/wizer/etc.

It's almost understandable from a writing standpoint, to be fair. You need conflict, you need reasons (hence Hollywood atheism), etc.

That women...are just women, just as equally capable/stupid/smart/error prone/etc is a flat premise, almost. Equality is what one reaches for, not where a story starts.

But all one needs is a little imagination, and you've got a million stories. It's kinda sad that so many stories that could have been fed by Jane's backstory were just left to wither on the vine, in place of 'Thor with boobs'.

And as I've said in the past, as annoying as this scene is, it's not as bad as Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    What makes you think he understands it?
    Surely no one could be that ignorant? I mean, this is 2021 right?

Too many writers have, for decades now, assume that feminism is anti-men on some level. It's Thundera's basic character.
    Aside from Thundra, I suppose I never noticed. But Aaron's anti male/anti deity agenda is just so...in your face...ugh...

Aaron himself, a declared atheist, couldn't avoid the atheist stereotype (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...llywoodAtheist) with Thor. To Aaron, Thor did the right thing just to lift the hammer, not because it's the right thing.

Sadly, in America we have an Madonna–whore we often apply to others outside of our group. With regards to Aaron, women aren't men, so they're better/wizer/etc.

It's almost understandable from a writing standpoint, to be fair. You need conflict, you need reasons (hence Hollywood atheism), etc.
    I guess. I'm just so over that theme with reference to Thor.

That women...are just women, just as equally capable/stupid/smart/error prone/etc is a flat premise, almost. Equality is what one reaches for, not where a story starts.
    Wiith Aaron and Thor, it always ends in disgrace for Thor. I hold out no hope that Aaron's contribution to Thor ultimately results in the character being extolled as somehow more virtuous.

But all one needs is a little imagination, and you've got a million stories. It's kinda sad that so many stories that could have been fed by Jane's backstory were just left to wither on the vine, in place of 'Thor with boobs'.

And as I've said in the past, as annoying as this scene is, it's not as bad as Aaron
    What can I say? One of the worst writers of Thor. Ever.

I mean, why can't we have someone like Al Ewing (seriously, Al's run on Immortal Hulk was well done), who is really familiar with Thor's continuity...and who actually likes the character...write Thor? I say we petition J Michael Stracynski to write him again!
    ----------------------

I mean, I've brought this up before but it always seemed disingenous to me that Jane is made out to be so perfect and competent at being Thor, with virtually no character flaws, while Aaron kept piling on the difficulties and issues with the guy whose name she was borrowing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Surely no one could be that ignorant? I mean, this is 2021 right?
    I know you're being sarcastic, but some on. America elected Trump, the first racist president! (in that racism was his main feature, not a flaw. Wonder how many people are gonna overlook this explanation in reply).

Some people get too passionate, and can't see the forest for the trees.

Ultimate Member

The thing with Thor and this acrimony from Freyja against Odin is that to a large extent it ignores decades of established stories.

For all this talk about Thor's worthiness or Odin being a jerk or whatever, both of these guys have literally sacrificed their lives to save Asgard. That's not to say they're perfect but an appreciation of the bigger picture is required. They aren't blithering, bumbling idiots- Odin in particular gave his eye for "wisdom".

Ultimately a lot of it feeds from Aaron's atheism which simply meant that he couldn't (or refused to) accept these character as depicted historically and because of this he had to humanise the characters. Even when said humanization didn't even mesh with established continuity. Unfortunately Cates is building on this without the action or bombast of Aaron's run.

As for the feminism, as someone else pointed out the feminism shouldn't be the starting point of the stories. Not to mention this brand of "corporate feminism" that's being bandied about the Thor title is quite corny and is being questioned by a lot of progressives online.