Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Preview for issue #17.

Feels like you could've plopped this arc right into the Aaron run.
    Damn, no kidding. straight out of the Aaron playbook, making Thor and Odin incompetent buffoons.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Damn, no kidding. straight out of the Aaron playbook, making Thor and Odin incompetent buffoons.
    With Thor, how so? He hasn't been read into the situation. He holds his own and made logical tactical suggestions that only failed because of information he couldn't have been privy to. Note that he didn't summon the lightning first :P

Granted, far from even great writing, but not Aaron by miles

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    With Thor, how so? He hasn't been read into the situation. He holds his own and made logical tactical suggestions that only failed because of information he couldn't have been privy to. Note that he didn't summon the lightning first :P

Granted, far from even great writing, but not Aaron by miles
    Well, facially he looks more like Aaron's Thor with the beard.

Still more Odin/Thor/Freyja strife. I don't care about Odin and Freyja's marital problems or Thor being mad at Odin anymore.

Ultimate Member

Well, facially he looks more like Aaron's Thor with the beard.

Still more Odin/Thor/Freyja strife. I don't care about Odin and Freyja's marital problems or Thor being mad at Odin anymore.
    Again, I'm only defending Cates in so much that he's not Aaron.

Aaron's run was troublesome on several levels.

Cates is far from great, but he's not anywhere near Aaron's level of bad. Just keep things in perspective

LOL at that machine gun.

nice to see Thor and Odin being so useful...

Cates is far from great, but he's not anywhere near Aaron's level of bad. Just keep things in perspective
    I guess I'll make my own judgement when I've read more of Cates.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

There's a lot of hyperbole in this thread, but yeah he's not Aaron; however, this Thor run is a continuation of the previous volume.

It's rare to see writers nowadays to continue story threads from a previous writer but Cates has taken the baton from Aaron who he has learned from (he has stated as much).

I wish more writers did continue previous threads instead of just ignoring it, because when they do it feels so disjointed

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    There's a lot of hyperbole in this thread, but yeah he's not Aaron; however, this Thor run is a continuation of the previous volume.

It's rare to see writers nowadays to continue story threads from a previous writer but Cates has taken the baton from Aaron who he has learned from (he has stated as much).

I wish more writers did continue previous threads instead of just ignoring it, because when they do it feels so disjointed
    It seems kind of half/half to me.

Obviously he's continuing the last thing Aaron established with Thor as king but he's also restored Thor to his proper form, and seems to care about Sif more. Also Volstagg.

Granted I've only read the first trade and from what I hear we get more Jane, hammer drama, Odin being kind of bad, etc.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It seems kind of half/half to me.

Obviously he's continuing the last thing Aaron established with Thor as king but he's also restored Thor to his proper form, and seems to care about Sif more. Also Volstagg.

Granted I've only read the first trade and from what I hear we get more Jane, hammer drama, Odin being kind of bad, etc.
    Definitely Hammer dra-maaa

But an old friend is introduced in the second arc, I thought it was good; but the implications for continuity is huge as well as love for said character.

Jane is in it but not as much as you would think, and the Odin drama is picking up now

Thor no longer has the cosmic power? What happened?

... why does Mjolnir seem to hate Thor?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Definitely Hammer dra-maaa

But an old friend is introduced in the second arc, I thought it was good; but the implications for continuity is huge as well as love for said character.

Jane is in it but not as much as you would think, and the Odin drama is picking up now
    If you're talking about the Blake arc, I hear it picks up but kind of ends controversially.

I hope this Odin drama actually goes somewhere meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Thor no longer has the cosmic power? What happened?

... why does Mjolnir seem to hate Thor?
    Thor lost it when he went against Galactus. He still has his clean shaven face and hair back though.

Because we can't go a single run without hammer drama, I guess.

I get this feeling that whenever Aaron or Cates is writing Thor or the Asgardians, a bad heavy metal guitar riff is going off in their heads. Frigga charging into battle on top of what I assume is a big cat wearing machine guns should be cool, but it isn't. Same with Aarons avengers run. Ghost rider takes control of a dead celestial, that should be really cool, but it's not. Describing it is more fun than actually reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I get this feeling that whenever Aaron or Cates is writing Thor or the Asgardians, a bad heavy metal guitar riff is going off in their heads. Frigga charging into battle on top of what I assume is a big cat wearing machine guns should be cool, but it isn't. Same with Aarons avengers run. Ghost rider takes control of a dead celestial, that should be really cool, but it's not. Describing it is more fun than actually reading it.
    Sounds like Waititi with Ragnarok (and maybe Love and Thunder).

So, did anyone read the latest issue? I don’t know what to think anymore. I was really enthusiastic about Cates on the book in the beginning but that enthusiasm has waned a lot in the last few months. We are told about all these revelations in solicits and shocking reveals, but nothing actually happens. I don’t even know what to think about the giant cat and the machine gun.