Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    BANNED

a boy and his hamma...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    a boy and his hamma...
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=I0...MVMI0hsIdJHsuQ
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

https://twitter.com/lovethundernews/...541380/photo/2

glad to see the hair and the muscles are back
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    https://twitter.com/lovethundernews/...541380/photo/2

glad to see the hair and the muscles are back
    This is way better than that Thunderstrike look on the other promotional art. I thought that was actually going to be his look the whole movie.

He oddly looks a lot like Young Thor. Stormbreaker even looks like Jjarnjbjorn.

Some of the promotional art also shows him with Mjolnir too so I wonder how that's going to work. Is Jane not going to go blonde?

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I honestly don't care about Mjölnir.

couldn't care less about it in fact.
    I know the feeling. Its beyond overdone at this point.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

I'm so tired of Mjolnir drama.

Also, kind of a fanboy thing, but I wish they'd mention Thor more in the Loki Disney+ show.

Ultimate Member

Yep, I'm over the mjolnir story arcs.

Mjolnir is just a weapon. It shouldn't be something that defines Thor as a character.

Besides all this, it's been bastardized. Pretty much everyone has wielded it at this point (even Venom did with the Uniforce) and it's lost it's uniqueness.

It's still an important asset for the character, one that the current writers are trying to remove. By making the Thor comic about the hammer, and the Thor identity merely whoever holds the hammer (which Aaron did his best to make happen), it opens the way for Marvel's Thor brand be transferable to characters other than the old Norse guy they clearly don't like.

Thor is a character who is brimming with untapped potential still, but Marvel are going out of their way to make him a backwards-thinking idiot who was just lucky enough and privileged enough to be given Mjolnir.

He's a millennia-old immortal warrior god who's got one foot in contemporary Earth, the other in immortal Asgard, and the best they can do is write him as a time-lost Viking idiot obsessed with his hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's still an important asset for the character, one that the current writers are trying to remove. By making the Thor comic about the hammer, and the Thor identity merely whoever holds the hammer (which Aaron did his best to make happen), it opens the way for Marvel's Thor brand be transferable to characters other than the old Norse guy they clearly don't like.

Thor is a character who is brimming with untapped potential still, but Marvel are going out of their way to make him a backwards-thinking idiot who was just lucky enough and privileged enough to be given Mjolnir.

He's a millennia-old immortal warrior god who's got one foot in contemporary Earth, the other in immortal Asgard, and the best they can do is write him as a time-lost Viking idiot obsessed with his hammer.
    It's basically a status symbol at this point. It's what made Jane relevant.

Yeah, the mystique behind Mjolnir is most definitely gone, like so many other "sacred" items (infinity stones, Cap's shield) or beings (Galactus, the Watcher). I know I sound like one of those annoying old readers, always complaining about these things, buutt...

Why can't other Marvel writers take a que from Al Ewing for example, who did a pretty good job of respecting continuity from decades ago (Rick Jones/Leader connection anyone?) and yet somehow managed to present these ideas as fresh? His management of the different "Hulk personalities" was stellar. The guy did his homework. Honestly, the guy is up there with Peter David and Bill Mantlo for Hulk stories (at least to me anyways...). The old Greco/Roman myths were told to death but generations loved them in part because they were familiar. At any rate...sigh.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    There is that. But this was a mighty screw-up of the sky gods using the channeling of what you would call an innocent, Don Blake. But, we are talking sky gods after all. Odin may not have a good handle on what it is to be human.

However, even if Odin is a clutz about these things, (like making a human representative out of Thor), Odin must have had some point in doing that, and being a Midgardian must have had some redeeming features, or Odin wouldn’t have done it. Then, Odin commences to disassociate himself from any responsibility about it? Thor must be pissed he was turned into a lowly Midgardian now, if his dad doesn’t consider the Don Blake persona “all that” anymore.
    The main point was for Thor to live life as a crippled doctor with a cane because it was the stark opposite reality of being an all-powerful thunder god. Then he got to see the beauty of humanity's existence while both falling in love with Jane Foster and helping the sick and infirm. Much like every other major character, we're unfortunately going to get treated with a redundant story about Thor, his worthiness of Mjolnir, of his father, of himself, etc. etc.

Odin may not have a good handle on what it is to be human.
    In the grand scheme of his lifespan, does it matter? The overarching theme of "gods suck! humanity is the greatest evar!" that is prevalent in the Asgaridian books for the past 20 years or so have placed a stranglehold on their characterization. For every dick move by Odin or Thor or whomever, they've also saved reality quite a few times.

Thor #15 preview.

This is giving me bad flashbacks.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thor #15 preview.

This is giving me bad flashbacks.
    I thought Cates was the second coming of Odinson?

I haven't been on this boards for a minute; I thought people were hyped on Cates? I only read the first arc and Thor beat the crap out of Galactus
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-08-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I thought Cates was the second coming of Odinson?

I haven't been on this boards for a minute; I thought people were hyped on Cates? I only read the first arc and Thor beat the crap out of Galactus
    No, most of us were very wary of cates, what with him being a big fan of Aaron, and him having said he thought Thor was like if Superman was a jerk.

Ultimate Member

This "mjolnir" drama is tiring.

If Thor has the complete Odin force, he should make himself a new hammer and be done with it.

This storytelling is becoming circular.