Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Angela was enough to make me check out Bendis's Guardians run. Which was also a directionless mess that got held up by great art and movie hype. He didn't do much with her then, and it doesn't seem like much happened since rejoining her family on Asgard.
    Marvel hasn't done anything interesting with Angela at all.

It's just terrible all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    DC has a very strange connection with religion.

It's like their universe is "christian" based.
    Meh, saying DC is Christian based is like saying Marvel is Asgardian or Olympian based. It's just one more faith that they dabble in. Image has no real problems with it either. It just stands out because Marvel won't go near it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Does anyone care all that much about Angela being Thor's sister?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just feel like there are more important things to address, namely...can someone please explain how/why the Phoenix force is Thor's mother? How did Thor split the earth open in JMS's run of Thor when he was in Africa? Was that not the result of his heritage to Gaea? If Thor is half Phoenix force, why would Thor not have been a more suitable choice to host the Phoenix force in the recent issue of (New?) Avengers? And again, in AvX, same question? There was never any follow up (as I recall) as to Dr Strange linking Thor's life force to Mjolnir (and repairing it in the process) with the Odin force? What happened there? I hate to be one of those annoying old school fans stuck on details and semantics....

But again, Al Ewing (as a great example!) was so spot on with Hulk in his recent run. The psychic relationship between the Leader and Rick? Goes waaayy back. Al made this a key part of several of his stories. His expert understanding of Banner's multiple personalities and how the Leader exploited that? All that is based on continuity from some 3 + decades ago. And despite Al being a stickler for the details and accurately referencing all these things, his stories were fresh, original and exciting. I mean, for a number of issues the endings were just such natural cliff hangers. It was so much fun to read.

I'm saying the complaint from some fans of Aaron toward old school fans like me is Aaron's style is how "current writers do it" and "you just need to get used to this style of writing....", is such baloney. Ewing is modern proof that a writer can respect a character's entire continuity and still do something fresh for new fans just jumping aboard without completely changing the character and making him/her unrecognizable to old loyal fans of the character. One might go as far as to speculate that Aaron's intent was to alienate the old Thor fan base and make way for the new.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Everyone seems to be hoping that if they wait long enough it just gets done away with. Given Marvel's treatment of characters they buy that has a good shot at happening.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Except they aren't her family. Marvel just lazily handed her Hela's MCU origin. DC would have been the better universe for the character because they have no problem with heaven and hell. Contrast this with Marvel...that had such a problem with heaven THAT THEY MADE IT A PART OF ASGARD!
    Wasn't Hela created way after Angela was brought to Marvel???

Honestly, most additions to Norse mythology were a miss.

Heven, Angela, Bor etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I just feel like there are more important things to address, namely...can someone please explain how/why the Phoenix force is Thor's mother?
    my bet is both Gaea and Phoenix are his mothers.

you know about Laussa???

she has two fathers: Odin and Surtur and yet Surtur didn't really had... you know, with Freyja xd

it will be the same here I bet.

at least that won't destroy eveything.

I still question the narrative value of having a cavewoman imbued with the phoenix force be the mother of Thor, what is there to be gained other than to to spite Thor fans? How does this retcon open the way for better stories?
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I read this and wow, it doesnt even feel like the first 10 issues of the run but then it also does. I am so over mjnoir being taken, disappearing, unable to be lifted, thor being the worst king ever. This reminds me of what coates did to bp if im honest. And now all of a sudden thor has resting phoenix eye after how long without it and freiya knows the entire time. Really? Just i dont even know from fighting galactus to general hospital: camping in the same run.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I still question the narrative value of having a cavewoman imbued with the phoenix force be the mother of Thor, what is there to be gained other than to to spite Thor fans? How does this retcon open the way for better stories?
    hm my guess is that cavewoman didn't birth him even though she probably wanted to have a kid but Odin didn't want to.

when she died, Phoenix echo remained or something so she entered Gaea's body or whatever.

wouldn't make sense for that cavewoman to be Thor's mother.

Thor isn't one million years old.

Odin was with her for several thousand years after they disbanded their team and even if you take that away he would still be hundreds of thousand years old which doesn't make sense considering he was very you during 8 AD.

he is at least 2k - 3k years old (well, two years old if you want to nitpick since they all died during RKT storyline) and even that is a highball.
    Last edited by GodThor; 10-03-2021 at 05:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    It really doesn't.

It doesn't compliment Thor's mythos, his canon or character. It's just another way for Aaron to leave his mark in a manner only fanboys would know of.

And am i missing something? Is angela really suppose to be as powerful as implied? If so maybe she should have been advising thor rather than acting like she is above it all.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    And am i missing something? Is angela really suppose to be as powerful as implied? If so maybe she should have been advising thor rather than acting like she is above it all.
    she isn't but Freyja is backing her up.

can't really overcome the power of two women

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    she isn't but Freyja is backing her up.

can't really overcome the power of two women
    Lol well i guess freyja did upgrade from the goddess of marriage and fertility to the god of hunt. Though i did laugh at the idea that here we are with the goddess of fertility and marriage and her husband has all these kids that apparently arent even hers. She should have been changed her title. The only thing missing from this issue was maury or trisha goddard.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Lol well i guess freyja did upgrade from the goddess of marriage and fertility to the god of hunt. Though i did laugh at the idea that here we are with the goddess of fertility and marriage and her husband has all these kids that apparently arent even hers. She should have been changed her title. The only thing missing from this issue was maury or trisha goddard.
    also, how can they change their type of God???

it's not like Thor learned thunder and lightning from a book and became God of Thunder