Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so when does the Breaking Don arc finally end?
    it ends in April.

3 more chapters.

I read the first trade of Cates' run.

My thoughts:

- Cates definitely seems to understand the grandeur and epic myths of the franchise more than Aaron did in my opinion. Not that Aaron couldn't be epic, but it was always peppered with jokes or references or something that felt too much like the real world or humanity that it took me out of it. The characters and the threats feel like gods and divine beings, not just playing the part, and the dialogue is far more natural compared to Aaron where characters talked normally except for when he actually tried to make them sound a little more "Asgardian." And sometimes they just sounded too normal.

- I get Cates is probably going to do his own thing with it but I really feel like it was too soon for another story about Mjolnir being hard to lift or being wielded by other people.

- It was nice to see Thor looking like Thor again. I feel like that was probably the biggest accomplishment of this run. No short hair, no Hercules beard, no metal arm or missing eye, he just looks like Thor again. I also like how he had a normal Thor form and a Herald form.

- Yeah, Galactus came off kind of weak and petulant. I mean, it's one thing to set up a threat tied to Galactus' origin and that he's afraid of, but it's another thing to take away all of his mystique and have Thor tear through his arms and legs with Mjolnir like they're made of wood. I feel like the epicness of what Cates was going for would be more pronounced if they felt earned with a properly written Galactus.

- As sad as it was, I was kind of satisfied seeing Thor man-handle Bill if only because I'm so used to Thor being seen as lesser to other hammer wielders (not Bill specifically). I'm glad Bill seems to be forgiving Thor by the end, though.

- I feel like if this were the last era of Thor, Sif would just stand on the Bifrost all day looking at stuff and not jump in to save Bill or talk Thor down. It's nice to see Sif actually being relevant again. Could Cates be building up to a new Thor/Sif/Bill triangle?

- The only really "jerk" moment I saw with Thor in this volume was when he starts to go overboard in fighting Bill and Sif had to step in and take Mjolnir away, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

- Thor isn't mentioning mead every issue. Volstagg's the one who keeps bring it up. The one time we do see Thor drinking at the end, it feels appropriate after what he's seen and been through, and probably not something that'll become too frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    - Yeah, Galactus came off kind of weak and petulant. I mean, it's one thing to set up a threat tied to Galactus' origin and that he's afraid of, but it's another thing to take away all of his mystique and have Thor tear through his arms and legs with Mjolnir like they're made of wood. I feel like the epicness of what Cates was going for would be more pronounced if they felt earned with a properly written Galactus.
    Cates hates (nice rhyme) Galactus.

he killed him off like three times LMFAO.

btw, I just found one inconsistency.

Old King Thor with OF couldn't fly without his hammer but Cates Thor with OF can.

Cates one makes more sense but it's still a nice inconsistency.
    Last edited by GodThor; 01-27-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Thor cover variant Nick Klein

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Slowly starting to collect Simonsons full run in single issues. Just filling in a few spaces before I’m done. Quick question - where does the Balder The Brave mini series fit in terms of reading order??
    Am I right in thinking #356 and #370 are not part of the run?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Slowly starting to collect Simonsons full run in single issues. Just filling in a few spaces before I’m done. Quick question - where does the Balder The Brave mini series fit in terms of reading order??
    Am I right in thinking #356 and #370 are not part of the run?
    I believe the Balder mini slots in somewhere around Thor #367. And yes, #356 and #370 are by different creative teams and not part of Simonson's story-arc.

Thor #12 variant cover by Mico Suayan, colours by Rain Beredo

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Some set pics from Love and Thunder are circling the internet. So far looks like Thor has got his long hair back (looks even longer), his muscular body back, his classic yellow and black boots from the comics, and there might be a prop that looks like one of his goats.

Here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Some set pics from Love and Thunder are circling the internet. So far looks like Thor has got his long hair back (looks even longer), his muscular body back, his classic yellow and black boots from the comics, and there might be a prop that looks like one of his goats.

Here and here.
    Despite my reservations, this all sounds good to me .

In Avengers 42 Bleeding Cool Enormous Retcon Thor History

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Lemmie guess, he plays second fiddle to the Phoenix? Shocker...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/majo...-thor-history/

if this is true then Aaron deserves a Nobel prize for destroying Thor's history completely.
    Last edited by GodThor; 02-01-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    What in the ever loving hell?!?!

But this is Aaron so I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    What in the ever loving hell?!?!

But this is Aaron so I'm not surprised.
    I thought Aaron would never do something so horrid like this despite what he did all those years.

it seems he always surpasses my expectations.

this one is something else.