THOR #26 – “Banner of War” Part Four
    Written by DONNY CATES
    Art by MARTIN COCCOLO
    Cover by GARY FRANK

HULK #8 – “Banner of War” Part Five
    Written by DONNY CATES
    Art by MARTIN COCCOLO
    Cover by GARY FRANK

Why does Hulk keep getting depicted as larger and larger? I don't find it makes him look any better. He should be big, but not literally twice the size of Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Why does Hulk keep getting depicted as larger and larger? I don't find it makes him look any better. He should be big, but not literally twice the size of Thor.
    I think this is supposed to be Hulk as a Mecha suit for Banner, which is why he's bigger.

Hulk is gonna smack OF Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Which would be tragic. OF Thor (in theory) should be too much for most versions of Hulk. Maybe we will get some excitement reminiscent of Ragnarok? 'Cause...that was a good fight.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

This announcement is somewhat deceptive - it makes you think that the story is going from 'The God of Hammers' arc to the 'Banner of War' crossover.
    Here's what the publishing schedule looks like:

November 2021 - Thor 19: God of Hammers, Part One of Five
    January 2022 - Thor 20: God of Hammers, Part Two of Five
    January 2022 - Thor 21: God of Hammers, Part Three of Five
    February 2022 - Thor 22: God of Hammers, Part Four of Five
    March 2022 - Thor 23: God of Hammers, Part Five of Five

April 2022 - Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War Alpha 1
    May 2022 - Thor 25: Banner of War, Part Two
    June 2022 - Thor 26: Banner of War, Part Four

But there is a Thor 24 missing, which presumably comes out in April 2022 before the Hulk vs Thor stuff begins.
    Now Thor 24 is also Thor 750 in legacy numbering and this is Thor's 60th anniversary year, so I expect Thor 24 to be one of those 80-page anniversary one-shots.
    Last edited by alanyoung909; 12-24-2021 at 10:20 PM.

The arena they are fighting in seems to be the 'Space Giant's Severed Hand' arena that Cates recently introduced in Thor 18-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Which would be tragic. OF Thor (in theory) should be too much for most versions of Hulk. Maybe we will get some excitement reminiscent of Ragnarok? 'Cause...that was a good fight.
    Well, usually you can tell who wins by looking at whose book it is (The Thing won the recent Hulk vs Thing match in Fantastic Four) but Donny Cates is writing both the Hulk and Thor ongoings so I would think that he will make both of them look good. Maybe they come to a draw and team up or maybe they each win one match or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely feel like there should've been a moratorium on stories focused on Thor wielding his hammer after Aaron.
    I agree but at least Cates came up with a logical reason for why Thor is having trouble with Mjolnir. He is no longer the defender of the realm which is causing the issues because Mjolnir is supposed to be wielded by the defender of Asgard. Which is stupid because all Asgardians are defenders of the realm. It still makes a hell of a lot more sense than the whisper. The biggest issue is writing the characters personalities completely incorrect. Cates has Thor treating everyone like crap. Banner's personality is incorrect in Hulk as well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    I agree but at least Cates came up with a logical reason for why Thor is having trouble with Mjolnir. He is no longer the defender of the realm which is causing the issues because Mjolnir is supposed to be wielded by the defender of Asgard. Which is stupid because all Asgardians are defenders of the realm. It still makes a hell of a lot more sense than the whisper. The biggest issue is writing the characters personalities completely incorrect. Cates has Thor treating everyone like crap. Banner's personality is incorrect in Hulk as well.
    How is Thor treating everyone like crap? Because he pranked Tony?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I don’t think that’ll happen.

Since Cates is writing both, I’m sure he’ll treat both of them with some respect.

That being said if Thor still has the OF then Hulk shouldn’t be able to fight him for very long. Even Jason Aaron that’s not depicted OF Thor so favorably noted that Thor is one of the few beings that can kill the Phoenix in the last Avengers issue.

Cause he talks down to people now. Look at how he speaks to Sif. Look at how he spoke to Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Since Cates is writing both, I’m sure he’ll treat both of them with some respect.

That being said if Thor still has the OF then Hulk shouldn’t be able to fight him for very long. Even Jason Aaron that’s not depicted OF Thor so favorably noted that Thor is one of the few beings that can kill the Phoenix in the last Avengers issue.
    Don't forget he has The Power Cosmic now as well which should make Thor practically unbeatable and handle any form of Hulk like he is nothing. It won't happen but it should with his added powers.

Merry Christmas!
    What is it with writers and nonsensical reasons for Thor to not wield Mjolnir?

Jeez, just write Thor being Thor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

That kind of surprises me (especially with how much Thor has jobbed in that run).
    Cause he talks down to people now. Look at how he speaks to Sif. Look at how he spoke to Bill.
    Wasn't that just in the first arc? And he apologized, if I recall correctly.

Merry Christmas!
    Indeed. Hoping the coming new year will be a better one for the Mighty Avenger!

BANNED

I think this is supposed to be Hulk as a Mecha suit for Banner, which is why he's bigger.
    He isn't literally a mecha suit though, i do agree that the size difference is a bit too much, but this is a new artist on the character so i am guessing this is his vision, because when it comes to Hulk it really depends on the artist, some make him roughly the size of Thor and other heroes, others make him gigantic.