Page 290 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 190240280286287288289290291292293294300340390790 ... LastLast
Results 4,336 to 4,350 of 15079
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    What MoS is getting at is Ta nehisis Coates the guy on the picture, the current writer of the dumpster fire that is the BP solo.

Started going on about not being able to wrap his mind around T'Challa and Wakanda and found the above to be outdated and set off to bring in "realism" to Wakanda which turned Wakanda into a literal stereotypical Western racist view of africa. From rape camps to contrived gender inequality, to turning early Wakandans onto colonizers and intergalactic Wakanda into slave owners. He asked the question of why does Wakanda have the above listed (okay to ask) but then instead of explaining WHY he went on to deem it bad, showing it only in a bad light and never cared to explore how it had worked for WK and then changed it.. in a very shitty fashion I will add, and inorder for him to be able to change it he had to force thing's onto the Mythos that never existed to make it work. Which still didn't make it work at all.
    I know who he is. I'm not saying his "modernization" is correct. That doesn't mean I think all the traditional practices are either
    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    How do you draw this line in a world with special rock meteors, Gods, magic stones, magic people, Demons, gamma monsters, ect?

Why is "warrior nation decides kingship/protector based on bloodline + combat" the line that needs logic all of a sudden?
    There's a difference between the physics of the universe, and the decisions the characters make. The whole "we need combat to prove leadership" thing doesn't seem to me to be the most logical decision. How does efficacy in combat translate to efficacy in other decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post

There's a difference between the physics of the universe, and the decisions the characters make.
    The black panther is blessed by a literal god as her Avatar. This is part of the "physics of the universe."

The whole "we need combat to prove leadership" thing doesn't seem to me to be the most logical decision. How does efficacy in combat translate to efficacy in other decisions?
    So let's go down this path then...

How do you think the leadership should be decided in Wakanda then?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

And yet, in the real world people who have been born and brought up in the political sphere who have been elected to be leaders have done disastrous jobs. How's that for efficacy. Look, when actors or mediocre business men can become leaders of the so-called free world, it's not a stretch to tell stories about African tradition of electing leaders through trial by combat. This line of questioning is really reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    What MoS is getting at is Ta nehisis Coates the guy on the picture, the current writer of the dumpster fire that is the BP solo.

Started going on about not being able to wrap his mind around T'Challa and Wakanda and found the above to be outdated and set off to bring in "realism" to Wakanda which turned Wakanda into a literal stereotypical Western racist view of africa. From rape camps to contrived gender inequality, to turning early Wakandans onto colonizers and intergalactic Wakanda into slave owners. He asked the question of why does Wakanda have the above listed (okay to ask) but then instead of explaining WHY he went on to deem it bad, showing it only in a bad light and never cared to explore how it had worked for WK and then changed it.. in a very shitty fashion I will add, and inorder for him to be able to change it he had to force thing's onto the Mythos that never existed to make it work. Which still didn't make it work at all.
    Wakanda is a utopian society that predates the concept of "Africa."

Super-hero comics suffer when too much "realism " is injected into them. Fledglings often confuse plausibility (superman can fly, everyone speaks english for some reason) with realism and realism with ugliness (how things often work in the actual real world).

Wakanda has more in common with Asgard or Attilan than it does with any modern African nation, or African history. They have kept themselves apart and they are actually superior. What would be more "realistic" is that all of African nations in the MU aspire to become what Wakanda has always been. What's plausible is that ALL African gods are based upon those worshipped in Wakanda.

Wakanda should be a place of legend, reverence, fear and wonder to every African child. Everything from a fairy tale to someplace to avoid to every African adult. Wakanda "coming out" and turning out to be REAL should be like if we found the actual Atlantis and it was a thriving, vibrant society of "Greeks" who were technologically, intellectually and physically superior to every human and human society on Earth. Exactly like that.

Corruptive "realism" has no place in Big 2 super-hero comics.
    Last edited by Redjack; 04-20-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Man, I'm like the only one alive who thinks the tunnel fight wasn't that bad lol.

The choreography of the fight isn't bad at all. the CGI models let it down, but the choreography was solid (the final engagement when killmonger picks up the spear end, the choreography is dope) The emotion and talking between the two was solid. Getting a glimpse of T'challa battle brain was solid.

My biggest gripe was punching while falling (meh) and then the fact the fight kept getting interrupted by cutting back to the field. The editing sucked. It is better when watching all 3 minutes straight.

But yes, im in the minority there lol
    I was fine with it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Wakanda is a utopian society that predates the concept of "Africa."

Super-hero comics suffer when too much "realism " is injected into them. Fledglings often confuse plausibility (superman can fly, everyone speaks english for some reason) with realism and realism with ugliness (how things often work in the actual real world).

Wakanda has more in common with Asgard or Attilan than it does with any modern African nation, or African history. They have kept themselves apart and they are actually superior. What would be more "realistic" is that all of African nations in the MU aspire to be what Wakanda has always been. What's plausible is that ALL African gods are based upon those worshipped in Wakanda.

Wakanda should be a place of legend, reverence, fear and wonder to every African child.

Corruptive "realism" has no place in Big 2 super-hero comics.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    And yet, in the real world people who have been born and brought up in the political sphere who have been elected to be leaders have done disastrous jobs. How's that for efficacy. Look, when actors or mediocre business men can become leaders of the so-called free world, it's not a stretch to tell stories about African tradition of electing leaders through trial by combat. This line of questioning is really reaching.
    Not quite the best defense. Those actors and business men have long been stated to be terrible leaders.

Ultimate Member

The black panther is blessed by a literal god as her Avatar. This is part of the "physics of the universe."

So let's go down this path then...

How do you think the leadership should be decided in Wakanda then?
    I think more trials on things like diplomacy, community building, education and so forth. Things which leaders deal with day to day

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    And yet Killmonger, a vicious killer, wins the trial and becomes leader. how did that work out?

I honestly don't get how realism of all things somehow is "destroying comics"

I think more trials on things like diplomacy, community building, education and so forth. Things which leaders deal with day to day
    This is a non answer. It is too vague to be useful and defniitely too vague to fit in comics or movies. What does this mean exactly?

You want them to have a... debate? and people decide who wins or what?

Ultimate Member

This is a non answer. It is too vague to be useful and defniitely too vague to fit in comics or movies. What does this mean exactly?

You want them to have a... debate? and people decide who wins or what?
    Well, I don't have an itemized list of all leadership duties. But yeah, discussion and debate should be how leaders are chosen.

Well, I don't have an itemized list of all leadership duties. But yeah, discussion and debate should be how leaders are chosen.
    So, you want Wakanda to be a democracy?

Ultimate Member

So, you want Wakanda to be a democracy?
    It doesn't have to be a democracy per se. I still like the idea of leadership tests, just on more subjects than combat.

Some level of democracy can be there, though.

So, if I understand it, the BP movie had poor fight choreography, weak characterization of the lead, bad CGI, and plot elements (like Challenge Day) that don't make sense.

And it made $1.347 billion dollars!

Imagine how much more money it would have made if Coogler had simply done what the fans wanted!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    So, if I understand it, the BP movie had poor fight choreography, weak characterization of the lead, bad CGI, and plot elements (like Challenge Day) that don't make sense.

And it made $1.347 billion dollars!

Imagine how much more money it would have made if Coogler had simply done what the fans wanted!
    Well, not every likes and dislikes the same parts of it.

It doesn't have to be a democracy per se. I still like the idea of leadership tests, just on more subjects than combat.

Some level of democracy can be there, though.
    Who's giving these tests, Bast lol?

This is less realistic than having it done by combat man.

Instead of magical Gods, you got magical leadership college course and exams lol