Page 537 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 37437487527533534535536537538539540541547587637 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,055 of 15079
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    How about that island he bought. Every time we have people over, the city gets destroyed. Lol
    Which island... Savageland?!?

Wasn't it annexed by Wakanda yet the X-Men do whatever in and with it anyhow in their books?

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Which island... Savageland?!?

Wasn't it annexed by Wakanda yet the X-Men do whatever in and with it anyhow in their books?
    In this issue, Tchalla bought the island where the adventure takes place. Also his first time meeting Black Bolt.

In this issue, Tchalla bought the island where the adventure takes place. Also his first time meeting Black Bolt.

Oh yeah, thanks.

Hmmm,... We'll see. Although I suspect Marvel might pair up Shuri with Bucky romantically. I might be wrong though.

Seriously?!?

Should marvel have given up of War machine, Kamala/Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, Ironheart, Ben Reilly, Kaine Parker, Spiderman 2099, Spider woman, Silk, Jane foster, She-Hulk, Falcon and newest Captn Marvel/ Carol and many others after only just one or two attempts?!?
    It's important to understand why things fail rather than just keep trying them over and over

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Spider-Man got more promotion because Marvel didn't seem to care as much about promoting other heroes. As skyvolt2000 said, characters only become popular and successful if Marvel invests in them

Maybe more A-list than Deadpool isn't necessarily correct, but I feel Black Panther is a more well connected or influential character than Deadpool is within the MU
    That and $5.00 will get you a large latte at Starbucks.

Bottom line: No matter how we might want to believe otherwise, Deadpool has done better in the comics. In the first three months of 2020 (the last period for which we have solid numbers) he regularly doubled BP sales. He reached 300 issues in 2018. I'm not sure entirely how many issues Gerry Duggan wrote, but I know it was over 100.

Is he a better character? No. Personally, i find him annoying. Are his movies better? No. Is T'Challa a more respected person in the MU? By a long shot.

But in the end, Marvel editorial knows that Deadpool still sells. While Coates' "epic" run needed multiple covers to make sales.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but White male heroes have terrible stories yet keep getting promoted. Frankly the unwillingness to invest in an sustain newer and diverse heroes can be interpreted as a failure

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That and $5.00 will get you a large latte at Starbucks.

Bottom line: No matter how we might want to believe otherwise, Deadpool has done better in the comics. In the first three months of 2020 (the last period for which we have solid numbers) he regularly doubled BP sales. He reached 300 issues in 2018. I'm not sure entirely how many issues Gerry Duggan wrote, but I know it was over 100.

Is he a better character? No. Personally, i find him annoying. Are his movies better? No. Is T'Challa a more respected person in the MU? By a long shot.

But in the end, Marvel editorial knows that Deadpool still sells. While Coates' "epic" run needed multiple covers to make sales.
    I don't want to knock DP, but it would be good if BP got similar support and success. Still, I think outside of the direct sales of solo comics, I'd put BP as an A-lister now.

Mighty Member

Thanks, I had not idea of this story and the island.

I think annexing of Savageland by Wakanda occurred in another book, can't recall currently.

Mighty Member

Sorry, double post!

Did BP need an origin story in his own movie. I thought skipping all that made the movie stand out.

Otherwise I agree. But Marvel seemed more hesitant to push minority heroes, and while that's changing, it has far to go
    Seems to have helped everyone but Tchalla since casuals cant recognize his importance and call him a mantle lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    It's important to understand why things fail rather than just keep trying them over and over
    True, which is why they keep trying different story concepts on the characters to find what works. Some work and don't.

Then sometimes it's the choice of whoever is in charge to decide who gets focus and/or promoted given a solo ongoing series and who gets dumped in limbo and/or who gets replaced with a new character.

Personally I think BP mythos is big enough to get spin offs on condition that Tchalla is not sacrificed for the benefit of any spin off.

Ultimate Member

Technically Black Panther has been different people though. I'd still rank T'Challa above a lot of heroes in terms of popularity and influence. I don't think a lot of other minority heroes have had near the prevalence he's had

Ultimate Member

True, which is why they keep trying different story concepts on the characters to find what works. Some work and don't.

Then sometimes it's the choice of whoever is in charge to decide who gets focus and/or promoted given a solo ongoing series and who gets dumped in limbo and/or who gets replaced with a new character.

Personally I think BP mythos is big enough to get spin offs on condition that Tchalla is not sacrificed for the benefit of any spin off.
    Although I can't really see Wakanda as being big enough for a lot of spinoffs, I doubt T'Challa would be sacrificed for them.

Technically Black Panther has been different people though. I'd still rank T'Challa above a lot of heroes in terms of popularity and influence. I don't think a lot of other minority heroes have had near the prevalence he's had
    EVERY solo Marvel hero has been replaced at least once. Moot point.

And the problem is, minority heroes have historically been given short shrift. That's one of the reasons why Milestone was created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    EVERY solo Marvel hero has been replaced at least once. Moot point.

And the problem is, minority heroes have historically been given short shrift. That's one of the reasons why Milestone was created.
    Minority heroes definitely have been given the short shrift. Marvel has far to go. Hopefully they don't mess up and keep creating and promoting more minority heroes

However, any time a hero is replaced, fans tend to react negatively, whether it's good or not

However, any time a hero is replaced, fans tend to react negatively, whether it's good or not
    There are very few exceptions, almost always former sidekicks.