Page 633 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 133533583623629630631632633634635636637643683733 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,495 of 15079
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Someone with more X-Men knowledge might know but I think Jason Aaron was the one that wasted no time pairing her with Logan shortly after the divorce until he died. She had a kiss with Gambit and Krakoa is confirmed to be an orgy island for them so she's definitely hasn't been celibate while waiting on T'Challa to call.

Since their divorce T'Challa has been consistently written to be still hung up on her while the same can't be said about Storm. Whenever he shows up or is mentioned in a X book it's either to throw shade his way or to uplift Storm.

He needs a new LI without the baggage or pull from the X-office cuz I'll take anyone at this point to stop this nonsense. Shang-Chi's sister from Hudlin's run would do at this point.
    T’Challa didn’t get a new LI because post-annulment he didn’t have much solo material until Coates did the solo in 2016. Storm had the benefit of getting with Wolverine because his writers wanted to use her in his book. T’Challa was part of an ensemble in New Avengers where understandably his love life couldn’t be revamped.

The best time to have T’Challa play the field would’ve been when Coates was writing the book but for reasons some of us have already said him and writers like him went back to Storm rather than investing in someone new. Shang-Chi’s sis would be interesting, I’m still team Monica Lynne but slowly liking the idea of Nightshade more.

I'm still thinking about that 3 month delay and what possibly could have caused it

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I was thinking something along these lines about how non-BP fans and some of the recent new-comers have expectations on BP that aren't consistent with who he's actually supposed to be. That's why I always argue that BP is not a super-hero in the truest sense. He can do heroic things, he can be a role model, he can be heroic but ultimate he's a king and king's make decisions that aren't always in the best interests of everybody.

Then I started thinking, "when was the last time BP killed someone"? I don't mean some demon or symbiote or otherworldly creature. I mean an actually person. BP has killed before, we know this. BP's in the past have killed before. But now there has been some effort to homogenize him for the masses. I can understand that with the MCU BP and why they would avoid having him kill and maybe make him a tad more heroic than the comics version. But there is precedent for BP to kill his enemies or at least try. We haven't seen that in quite some time. He rarely evens threatens a kill these days unless like I said, it's some non human entity. Is that a conscious decision on Marvel's part and how do we feel about that?

I think his last "kill" was the Cotati Swordsman(not human). I don't recall him killing anything directly in KiB:Black Panther(somebody refresh my memory). There's been an ongoing effort by Marvel to strip away some of the characteristics away from the comics BP for quite awhile. This is what has really been bugging long-time BP fans, seeing a watered down version of a character they like while other characters get upgrades. I think and hope with the sleeper agents angle that Ridley is taking is that we get back to seeing the chess master Panther doesn't hesitate to do things is way and by any means necessary.
    I mean, MCU T'Challa killed Erik. Yes he offered to save him and Erik pulled the blade out Which some might argue that he killed himself, but T'Challa is the one who put that blade in his chest. Plus T'Challa killed a **** ton of redshirts. The traffickers were killed. Maybe a few survived but probably 90% of then died. Same with klaws Crew in the car chase. Hell he threw one of the dude's out of the car and Shuri ran him over, on which she asked what that was.

Also in recent times? T'Challa killed space N'Jadaka and Tetu. They weren't the best but he killed them. I do agree however that there has been this push lately of making Shuri the Super genius and T'Challa is King and BP instead of the super genius warrior King he is

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    MCU BP straight up stabbed killmonger in the gut. And those people in the cars he destroyed in Korea ain't alive anymore haha. And he was 100% going to kill Klaw. He tried to kill Bucky initially. So I don't know if I agree with the fact they have "softened" T'challa in the MCU. The problem with MCU t'challa is that he wasn't around long enough to rack up the bodycount of some of the other heroes. In CW, he fought other heroes, so he can't kill them. In his own movie, half the "goons" he fought were Wakandans, so he can't kill them and come off looking great. Then in IW it was mindless aliens he slaughtered.

Steve, who has a rather high bodycount in the MCU, still didn't kill anyone important either. Same could be said of the other heroes too (hell, Stark nevr finished off any of his own villains by himself lol). So I think BP fights in just as much as the others.

Coates was 100% against killing off people (he mentioned in earlier interviews that he didn't like that trope) and BP still killed Goons here and there and killed Tetu and Killmonger in the last issue.

Before that you have to go back to Hickman having T'challa try to kill Namor where T'challa thought he succeeded.

Then you have to go back a long time. T'challa's never been a very active killer... he's more bluster than lethal in the comics it seems.
    I don't think T'Challa is bluster more than lethal. It's more that they don't let him have the solid wins he deserved from Doom and Namor. And it's straight up bullshit that Mayberry let Doom kill S'yan and get away with it. That's ultimately the problem. If T'Challa can't kill doom or Namor, then someone in their corner has to take a dirt nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I do agree however that there has been this push lately of making Shuri the Super genius and T'Challa is King and BP instead of the super genius warrior King he is
    That is due to Coogler's unnecessary meddling of T'Challa's core characteristics. The consequences cannot be denied.

Ultimate Member

Bring back Goon Slam Gary for the rematch of the century
    LOLOL..

Haven't heard that name in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by XJlock View Post
    That is due to Coogler's unnecessary meddling of T'Challa's core characteristics. The consequences cannot be denied.
    Pushing Shuri as a genius is definitely because of the MCU but the comic side has been guilty of downplaying it even before the movie. His genius outside of strategy has never gotten the same treatment as characters like Tony, Reed, Banner, etc. We get moments here and there but never as consistent as the others and that's mostly because they're scientist first while T'Challa isn't.
    Last edited by KingNomarch; 07-26-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I'm still thinking about that 3 month delay and what possibly could have caused it
    Maybe the Black Panther legends release in Oct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I mean, MCU T'Challa killed Erik. Yes he offered to save him and Erik pulled the blade out Which some might argue that he killed himself, but T'Challa is the one who put that blade in his chest. Plus T'Challa killed a **** ton of redshirts. The traffickers were killed. Maybe a few survived but probably 90% of then died. Same with klaws Crew in the car chase. Hell he threw one of the dude's out of the car and Shuri ran him over, on which she asked what that was.

Also in recent times? T'Challa killed space N'Jadaka and Tetu. They weren't the best but he killed them. I do agree however that there has been this push lately of making Shuri the Super genius and T'Challa is King and BP instead of the super genius warrior King he is
    I didn't read any of Coates last issues so I didn't see the N'Jadaka kill. But even then it was just a reanimated corpse, so he just re-killed a dead guy. As far as Tetu goes it shouldn't have taken what, 50-60 issues to drop him.

I guess they was more whining and moping than killing so maybe that's kind of muting the whole thing for me.

Yuuuuuuuuuup

Pushing Shuri as a genius is definitely because of the MCU but the comic side has been guilty of downplaying it even before the movie. His genius outside of strategy has never gotten the same treatment as characters like Tony, Reed, Banner, etc. We get moments here and there but never as consistent as the others and that's mostly because they're scientist first while T'Challa isn't.
    Since Ezyo1000 already came up with ideas to solve that kind of problem in MCU T'Challa, what would you (or anyone else) propose to alleviate this issue in the comic book side of things?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    T’Challa didn’t get a new LI because post-annulment he didn’t have much solo material until Coates did the solo in 2016. Storm had the benefit of getting with Wolverine because his writers wanted to use her in his book. T’Challa was part of an ensemble in New Avengers where understandably his love life couldn’t be revamped.

The best time to have T’Challa play the field would’ve been when Coates was writing the book but for reasons some of us have already said him and writers like him went back to Storm rather than investing in someone new. Shang-Chi’s sis would be interesting, I’m still team Monica Lynne but slowly liking the idea of Nightshade more.
    Coates wanted to write a Storm solo. It never happened for reasons, so the only way he could do it was using Black panther to do that. Very simple reason

A new LI could have been better, since Ororo and tchalla seems like going nowhere again

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Maybe the Black Panther legends release in Oct?
    I Don't think this is the reason, as it will run alongside the main Black Panther. It is second time the book is hit with delays this year. Makes it look like the book isn' a priority for Marvel, it is a bad luck
    Last edited by Writerblog; 07-26-2021 at 04:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Since Ezyo1000 already came up with ideas to solve that kind of problem in MCU T'Challa, what would you (or anyone else) propose to alleviate this issue in the comic book side of things?
    I’ll be upfront and say I truthfully don’t have an issue with Shuri being the smarter sibling. To me the defining element of T’Challa’s intelligence is that he’s a strategist on par with, if not superior to, the likes of Cyclops, Doctor Doom, and other such figures. He thinks ahead, feigns weakness, and manipulates his enemies.

Shuri bring a superior inventor isn’t a problem as long as T’Challa isn’t depicted as scientifically inept and he’s shown tinkering in the lab every now and then. So yea Shuri can develop a space fleet or something but I still want to see T’Challa making personal upgrades to his Panther-Cycle and stuff like that.

I don’t think that in order for her to shine in the field of science, T’Challa needs to be dumbed down and his intelligence needs to be downplayed to the point of irrelevance. It’s not fair or logical when they can both exist in that space or even have areas of specialization. Plus highlighting other forms of intelligence can be just as cool and fun as inventing tech. T’Challa is a polymath, meaning he’s not just good with science. He should be a master of dead languages, have a top tier understanding of human psychology, be aware of legal practices from here to the Kree Empire, etc. I wish writers played up those elements of his character more tbh because it opens up new types of problem solving and stories. T’Challa is a modern Da Vinci and writers don’t seem to remember that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I didn't read any of Coates last issues so I didn't see the N'Jadaka kill. But even then it was just a reanimated corpse, so he just re-killed a dead guy. As far as Tetu goes it shouldn't have taken what, 50-60 issues to drop him.

I guess they was more whining and moping than killing so maybe that's kind of muting the whole thing for me.
    Yup, Coates explicitly said he wanted to subvert "black male machismo" with this run and unfortunately his way of doing that was to turn T'Challa into a mopey neophyte who relied on everyone but himself to get **** done. It's impossible to write an imposing or ruthless character with that kind of mindset.

So T'Challa rarely kills or even threatens to kill and he only half-heartedly does it even when he has no choice. I remember one of y'all compared the way they had Bast peer pressure T'Challa into killing Killmonger to a kid on his first hunting trip lol. Or when he stopped all the randomly assembled black heroes to give a speech about some woman none of them met because he hates the idea of fighting without honoring the dead first or some BS. Meanwhile in a single issue Redjack had him tell his soldiers to buck up and keep it pushing after their comrades died before turning his sister into a symbiote to take down Knull's invasion lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I’ll be upfront and say I truthfully don’t have an issue with Shuri being the smarter sibling. To me the defining element of T’Challa’s intelligence is that he’s a strategist on par with, if not superior to, the likes of Cyclops, Doctor Doom, and other such figures. He thinks ahead, feigns weakness, and manipulates his enemies.

Shuri bring a superior inventor isn’t a problem as long as T’Challa isn’t depicted as scientifically inept and he’s shown tinkering in the lab every now and then. So yea Shuri can develop a space fleet or something but I still want to see T’Challa making personal upgrades to his Panther-Cycle and stuff like that.

I don’t think that in order for her to shine in the field of science, T’Challa needs to be dumbed down and his intelligence needs to be downplayed to the point of irrelevance. It’s not fair or logical when they can both exist in that space or even have areas of specialization. Plus highlighting other forms of intelligence can be just as cool and fun as inventing tech. T’Challa is a polymath, meaning he’s not just good with science. He should be a master of dead languages, have a top tier understanding of human psychology, be aware of legal practices from here to the Kree Empire, etc. I wish writers played up those elements of his character more tbh because it opens up new types of problem solving and stories. T’Challa is a modern Da Vinci and writers don’t seem to remember that.
    In a perfect world that would work out that way but that's not how it's working out here. Even in the mobile video games now they're making T'challa ask her how scientific things work or ask for help solving problems. People aren't clever enough to write both as capable thinkers. Which leads to TChall inevitably being dumbed down while Shuri is propped up
    Last edited by Ekie; 07-26-2021 at 06:01 PM.