Page 78 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178578 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Speaking only for myself...

I'm 51 years old (and six-foot-plus, since that appears to be important around here today. )

I have been reading comics for well over 4 decades.

And these days, for the second or third time (depending on how you count it) I am more than happy to forgo most serialized fiction, because having new stories is less important to me than having good ones. I'm no longer a Trekkie, nor a Warsie. I have skipped several Big Two superhero films because they did nothing for me... but regularly rewatch the ones that resonate.

Black Panther is one of those.

Am I curious to see what the sequel is like? Of course!

Will I feel betrayed if it's not all that good?

Nope. Because recast or no. Push one character or the other... it doesn't matter, because it's just a movie. My T'Challa lives in my head and on my shelves.

No matter WHAT they do, I still have the first movie, and a hefty pile of BP comics I can revisit whenever the whim takes me.

I'm reminded of a famous comment I first heard quoted by Alan Moore (paraphrasing someone else):
    I do share in that sentiment and it brings me small amounts of comfort that I have something to point to when a black kid is looking for a fictional icon outside of the stereotypes.
    Then the bitterness sets in lol and I vocalize every bit of it

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    So...Thor is not the God of Thunder who wields the hammer Mjolnir and whose father is Odin? Wow!
    You mean to say, Heimdall and the Rainbow Bridge and Hel and the World Tree and Surtur...it's all fabricated completely and entirely out of Simonson's genius mind? And here I always thought he was inspired by those Norse Legends. That there were such characters as Valkyries riding winged horses.

I learned something new today.
    apparently not.

Marvel Thor has as much to do with "real" Thor as Star Trek has with real space travel.

you can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. If you're giving Thor a pass, you're not really allowed to get mad about the Wakandan faith.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    it's made up. fiction. never meant to represent any real place. never based on any real place.
    As I stated in the Storm thread...
    Wakanda may be fictional.
    Orisha is a real religion with many followers around the globe and here in the Caribbean.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

As I stated in the Storm thread...
    Wakanda may be fictional.
    Orisha is a real religion with many followers around the globe and here in the Caribbean.
    yep. doesn't change one thing about the fact that this is all made up and doesn't even attempt to be representing anything like the real world or its faiths.

Marvel comics made a super-hero out of the devil's son. this is not a debate.
    Last edited by Redjack; 02-03-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You are right, it's not anymore.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

yeah but everybody's fine with Thor and Hercules.

and Gilgamesh being an Eternal.

etc.

come on.
    For me, I don't even care about bast being a part of the orisha, what bothers me Is the how and why. How they were humans that were prayed to hard enough to ascend and the why, specifically so that Coates could give Storm a big feat. It was literally soley for her benefit, T'Challa and Wakanda were thrown under the bus to make Storm look good. He used it to take feats away from Wakandas advancements and undefeated streak, and took a big feat from T'Challa. So for that reason I think it's stupid AF

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    For me, I don't even care about bast being a part of the orisha, what bothers me Is the how and why. How they were humans that were prayed to hard enough to ascend and the why, specifically so that Coates could give Storm a big feat. It was literally soley for her benefit, T'Challa and Wakanda were thrown under the bus to make Storm look good. He used it to take feats away from Wakandas advancements and undefeated streak, and took a big feat from T'Challa. So for that reason I think it's stupid AF
    yeah i hate that too. AFAIC the Wakandan gods are actual gods. Christ, putting Storm in that mix was like throwing a block of sodium into a bucket of water.

Get Hectic!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    https://www.ign.com/articles/wakanda...anchise-sequel

Tell me again how this "Honors" Chadwick Boseman and the character he chose to play while fighting cancer.
    The sentiment expressed in the IGN article is something I’ve seen a lot of online unfortunately and I don’t understand why.

Wading through the comments really hurt my eyes (since gamergate, IGN’s comment section has been taken over the alt-right, qanon like fandom that believe EVERYTHING is a conspiracy) but majority of guys there that actually apparently like BP want the character to be recast.

I really don’t have too much interest in a Wakanda not anchored by BP. It’s why I didn’t bother watching Gotham or Krypton because I don’t have so much interest in the established world without the main character of the franchise bouncing off it.

I’ve said this several times, all Disney needed to do here was take a deep breath and delay the movie. After said delay, re-cast T’Challa for BP 2. They can have the spin-offs in between the movies.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-03-2021 at 11:13 PM.

Incredible Member

The same way some won't tolerate/accept mutants being a metaphor/analogy for minorities...and others won't stand for the dilution of the Norse and Greek Pantheons...I won't tolerate some "woke person of Black intellect" misuse and misrepresent a true and vital and important and relevant African religion.
    Interesting. I'm someone who is actually Yoruba and quite frankly I and many other Nigerians who are BP fans don't care. Since Priest's run, the mythos has taken and cloacked Wakanda in and with Nigerian culture from names, language and overall style. Hell, Yoruba and Hausa are official languages spoken in Wakanda so technically from that perspective it's not far fetched the Orishas would be part of tge lore. In any case, the Orishas' involvement is the least of BP's problems. The titular character himself needs deliverance from the damage Coats has caused.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Attachment 105628

He's closer to Scott than she is to Barda. And by close I mean several meals and some serious protien but I see you workin'.
    He's not that much bigger than Tom Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Lmao I wanted to say that when people suggested him but I was definitely sure I would be scrutinized for saying what you just said, so I decided to remain silent.
    I had to use pictures to make my case, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    You know you wrong!!!..... still funny as hell though, lol. I loved Tenet, but every time he was in scene with female lead I kept thinking. This ninja is short as hell!???!?
    I did laugh when I first saw those images a while ago.

Barda is a tank. Zendaya ís a gazelle.

horrible casting choice.
    You're right.

Technically speaking...

Wakanda should speak a rare language only used 10,000 years ago!

A linguistic expert should invent a new dialect the same as speaking Klingon or one of the random languages in Star Wars!

Also... Borrowed gods from other cultures is getting real old and sort of lazy!

Is Wakanda just some coffee table history book great for small conversations!

If you precede other nations they should be borrowing from you not the other way around!

Get Hectic!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

apparently not.

Marvel Thor has as much to do with "real" Thor as Star Trek has with real space travel.

you can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. If you're giving Thor a pass, you're not really allowed to get mad about the Wakandan faith.
    100% fact!!!!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Wakanda is not a real place. Its tribes and culture are not real. Wakanda predates Marvel "Africa" and all the nations in it.

This is fiction. There's no reason Wakanda's pantheon, which is older than both the Egyptian and West African faiths, can't include elements of all those faiths.

Wakanda itself could be classified as "an appropriation" as zero africans and zero black people at all were involved in its creation.
    this post for the win and your last post is an excellent observation.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

There's also the minor fact that the Orisha already existed in Marvel (as do the Egyptian gods) so Coates was not only mangling real mythology, but also Marvel canon:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Vod%C5%AB

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ennead