Page 533 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 33433483523529530531532533534535536537543583633 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 7,995 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Remember Morn from DS9? They could do it that way, but then it would be [unintentionally] comedy.
    There is that anime GANGSTA where one of the leads us practically mute.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Fictional characters have no agency. They dont need to exist. Marvel could go out of business next year and the only people it would really matter too are those who are out of work.

If they had no agency-a LOT of toxic behavior would not have happened.

That same toxic behavior who would go after those unemployed folks and use they to prove this is why you don't hire POC, LGBTQA+ or women at your company.

Which would probably lead to more toxic behavior to other creators and books.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If they had no agency-a LOT of toxic behavior would not have happened.

That same toxic behavior who would go after those unemployed folks and use they to prove this is why you don't hire POC, LGBTQA+ or women at your company.

Which would probably lead to more toxic behavior to other creators and books.
    The toxic behavior is due the peoples insecurities. They've decided the character represents them and anything outside of their dogma is an attack on them.

Ultimate Member

The fact that he's fictional means that everything about him can be transplanted to any other fictional character. Because at the end of the day he has no voice of his own, it's just the voice of the puppeteer.
    So why hasn't it??? Excluding Static and Spawn and maybe Black Lightning & Miles- who among black heroes have what Panther has?

To that little boy boy in the hood surrounded by Pookie and every negative stereotype-are we going to tell him that he should NOT be inspired by Panther? Or any other black character that is not showcasing black misery?

One thing we forget is we don't know WHAT will inspire a kid. Be it a real of fictional person.

Nichelle Nichols was ready to DUMP Star Trek-Martin Luther King stopped her. Because she was inspiring folks playing a character.

Being inspired does not mean to worship.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So why hasn't it??? Excluding Static and Spawn and maybe Black Lightning & Miles- who among black heroes have what Panther has?

To that little boy boy in the hood surrounded by Pookie and every negative stereotype-are we going to tell him that he should NOT be inspired by Panther? Or any other black character that is not showcasing black misery?

One thing we forget is we don't know WHAT will inspire a kid. Be it a real of fictional person.

Nichelle Nichols was ready to DUMP Star Trek-Martin Luther King stopped her. Because she was inspiring folks playing a character.

Being inspired does not mean to worship.
    Once you start with "excluding", you voided your argument because you knew there was an alternative.

I've already said being inspirational is fine, but I'm not going to tell him or her to place more value on Tchalla than real people.

If we're taking about kids, I'd steer them towards Saladins' Miles Morales. It be easier reading for them.
    Last edited by Cville; 06-27-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Once you start with "excluding", you voided your argument because you knew there was an alternative.

I've already said being inspirational is fine, but I'm not going to tell him or her to place more value on Tchalla than real people.

If we're taking about kids, I'd steer them towards Saladins' Miles Morales. It be easier reading for them.
    Name a black character that was the first black superhero ever created by the big two?

Name a black character created in direct opposition to stereotypes of black men in western media?

Name a black charcater created during the civil rights movement to represent a sense of belonging in science fiction, in white dominated media at the time AND NOW (seeing as his movie's "blackness) was a rare accomplishment?

Name a fictional black character that alone represents "Wakanda" and the idea that black ppl are capable and competent without western direction?

Fictional characters are not all the same. Im a person who was inspired by the character and i have yet to find another black one like him.

Tell ppl to "find a new Black character" cause you think they are all the same and of equal value is also a very dimishing and flat out bad take.

And I still would like an answer as to why Tchallas existence is a threat to Chadwick's life and legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Name a black character that was the first black superhero ever created by the big two?

Name a black character created in direct opposition to stereotypes of black men in western media?

Name a black charcater created during the civil rights movement to represent a sense of belonging in science fiction, in white dominated media at the time AND NOW (seeing as his movie's "blackness) was a rare accomplishment?

Name a fictional black character that alone represents "Wakanda" and the idea that black ppl are capable and competent without western direction?

Fictional characters are not all the same. Im a person who was inspired by the character and i have yet to find another black one like him.

Tell ppl to "find a new Black character" cause you think they are all the same and of equal value is also a very dimishing and flat out bad take.

And I still would like an answer as to why Tchallas existence is a threat to Chadwick's life and legacy?
    In his original creation, didn't he have to go to get a Western education to do your second and third question while the rest of his society were left to be tribal based on whatever Stan and Jack could find in national geographic?

The fact that he's fictional means that everything about him can be transplanted to any other fictional character. Because at the end of the day he has no voice of his own, it's just the voice of the puppeteer.

And people shouldn't worship celebrities because most likely what their worshipping is also fictional. The term never meet your heroes exist for a reason. Lol.
    Except your vastly underselling who T'Challa is. No he can't be transplanted and this goes exactly into what Chad was trying to fight. Acting like any black person will do we are are just interchangeable and replaceable. T'Challa had historical relevance to him, created at the height of racial tension and broke the stereotype of Africa and black people. Shown something that no one else had ever done. Your are really undervaluing the importance of characters if you think that they can just be transplanted to other characters. Why do you think that fails so much in media? Of that were the case we would not have it so when people think Batman they immediately think Bruce Wayne. Batman has been around for over 80+ years. There's relevance.

I will also say this Chadwick was the only celebrity I legit wanted to meet and you know what? I doubt I would of been disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Remember Morn from DS9? They could do it that way, but then it would be [unintentionally] comedy.
    Yeah they could, really I want to see him team up with all types of heroes. BB for murder bros, Cal for HSH/SS shenanigans, Thor for Marvels monarchs, and cotdammit T'Challa having freaking conversation with Miles

Again Tell me where I put more value on T'Challa then real people? Where did I say people need to die so T'Challa can live on? Why do you think interviews Chadwick kept talking about setting up the person to succeed after home? The next person? He did that for MBJ. He was always talking about the next generation, he talked about T'Challa outliving all of us. Why? Because he knows what that positive role model means.

You want to know why T'Challa is so special and different than Spawn or static or Miles? First off, again, the time In which he was created, that was a huge risk and gamble and unheard of. Second where he comes from and what he represents. A Unconquered African nation, allowed to develop without western influence. He is a King, a genius, a good man, and a super hero. He was created as that.

He isn't some horribly disfigured Black Man like Spawn, he wasn't raised on the streets dealing with Black misery like static, and he isn't a legacy character like Miles started. He is his own OG character, leader of a nation and the first Black super hero with actual powers in comic book history. Now tell me, how can you say with a straight face that you can just transplant that to some other character and it's all good. He ain't real so it's just easy to just pick any Black fictional character. It doesn't work like that. You and I both know that. And I'm getting pretty damn tired of people expecting is to be cool with black death.

In the end T'Challa existing and people wanting him to live on doesn't take anything away from Chadwick. Dude was living on 3020 while the rest of us were in the 2020s. Dude was special and no one is saying that he isn't or that he is replaceable. T'Challa isn't either. They both Impact/impacted million's of people and inspired them
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 06-27-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Man..MCU Shuri doesnt standout amongst Pepper Potts. How is she supposed to replace T'Challa and go toe to toe with Namor?

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

I really enjoy Wright as THIS Shuri. However, if they are trying to make her comics Shuri then Michaela Coel is much more believable in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    I really enjoy Wright as THIS Shuri. However, if they are trying to make her comics Shuri then Michaela Coel is much more believable in the role.

I haven't seen her do a serious role yet, so I'm on the fence. I do love her look , but her accent seem hard Brit.
    And besid MCU Shuri is so younger I'm surprised there's no need of her running with the Young avengers or rolling with Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hey everyone, next up on my read-through is Black Panther: Soul of a Machine.

Soul of a Machine! Isn't that the eight-part story that's basically a glorified Lexus commercial? One and the same. But if the goal is to read everything, I'm going to read everything, damn it! And it's not particularly good. The way I see it, the story has two flaws.

One, it's a glorified Lexus commercial. It's a story where Wakandan Engineers and Lexus's Takumi Masters team up to defeat the villain Machinesmith. It's very clear that Lexus wanted specific buzzwords in their comic about this being the ultimate fusion of man and machine, technology and soul, etc. It pops up at least once an issue. Also, the solution is they design a really cool car to enter the virtual world to defeat the villain. It reminded me of that one old Daredevil issue where they brought in Uri Geller, he had real telepathic powers, and he helped save the day. I've never read NFL Super Pro, but I wonder if it would read like that.

Second, there are three authors who pass the baton relay race style. The others are Fabian Nicieza, Geoffrey Thorne, and Chuck Brown. I'm a big fan of Nicieza's work. Thorne is our own Redjack so I've been a big fan of his ever since I read Mosaic (Inhumans shout out since they've been coming up recently). I'm less familiar with Chuck Brown but looking at Marvel wiki, I've apparently read everything he's written. The big issue here is there's a disjointed feeling between issues that comes across as if the parties weren't talking to each other or editorial wasn't keeping the story straight. One issue, it'll feel like Machinesmith is contained and on the run. The next issue, he'll almost have taken over the world.

On the other hand, given what this is, there's some good things. I think the choice of Machinesmith is a good one for the premise of man and machine and achievement of technological perfection. Once upon a time, he was the character Star Saxon and I liked the idea of trying to reach the humanity of a character who has long moved past it. I think some of the innovations they used to defeat the villain were cool. Unfortunately, some of the depictions (especially in the virtual world) were fairly confusing.

Overall, I want to tell everyone that they tried. It wasn't my favorite comic I've read so far, but for what it is, I think it did its job admirably.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

It was bad because at no point did he explain why the current system was a problem. And Aneka was sentenced by a judge. And Ayo petitioned Ramonda for a pardon. Which means there was never 'one man' doing it all to begin with.
    Ding ding ding.....agreed!