Page 35 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135535 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so has anyone played the Wakanda Forever board game? Is it fun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahp8tBqfJ3o
    I only saw it once in stores. Should have got it

Quote Originally Posted by Gessela View Post
    A few thoughts on the use of spears.

Be it Black Panther or Star Gate, if a martial arts culture evolved in a linear fashion not identical to our western world, it would be perfectly plausible that there weapons would retain a spear like aesthetic.
    Progression: Stick to Staff to Spear to Energy blasting Spear.

Types of warfare/combat, culture, and concealment have shaped the evolution of our western projectile weapons. One could also look at the bayonet rifle as spear as well.

In a futuristic setting, when a standard pistol/rifle runs out of ammo, or malfunctions, it ceases being a weapon. If the energy blasting spear becomes unable to fire, it maintains its use as an effective close combat weapon.

In history and in my own Afro-Futuristic works, blade shapes (swords/knives/spearheads) can be just as important as clothing or hair, for cultural identifiers. I would do the same if tackling an Asian or European based futuristic sci-fi.

Just a few opinions from a creator and martial artist.
    I think melee weapons are fine, I don't think that was the problem I had personally with Wakandan weapons. Inl didn't like how basic they looked though.

Wakandan weapons should be able to change size and shape at the discretion. From as small as a pocket knife, to as large as a pole arm, and can shift to whatever bladed weapon in-between as well.

These weapons should have 5 shooting settings:
    Repeater - (semi automatic, squeeze and shoot)
    Chain shot - (basically a shot that "Jumps" from target to target hitting multiple targets at a time)
    Tank buster - (press and hold to shoot a powerful shot capable of destroying a tank)
    Omni shot - (set a timer and throw to release a conclusive blast, basically a grenade, or can be used in melee range if needed)
    Sling shot -
    (this is for basically melee range, when swinging the weapon, the user can "sling" concussive energy in the direction of the swing, good when outnumbered and trying to target an enemy at range)
    This is how I envision Wakandan weapons working in terms of melee and range capabilities
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 01-17-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I have always loved spears. I never understoid the complaints. Yes Wakanda should have very advanced forms of them but we never seem to complain when other cultures proudly portray cultute weaponry. Who doesnt love nunchuku?
    Only if you know how to properly use them !

I have always loved spears. I never understoid the complaints. Yes Wakanda should have very advanced forms of them but we never seem to complain when other cultures proudly portray cultute weaponry. Who doesnt love nunchuku?
    Yeah one argue that the katana is arguably the most popular and well known/used blade in media of all time.
    Used in past present, futuristic and fantasy settings. I don't see a problem with spears being used the same in for Africa, so long as it's treated the same way as a katana and is able to take on a variety of iterations to maintain and appealing and "cool" factor

Thank you. This is why continuity is important. This is why its a problem for editors and supposed stewards of this Marvel "universe" and its history to ignore quality in the name of diversity advertising. Thats why this movie will do nothing to advance the longterm aspirations of a Black character finally hitting Batman/Spiderman level fame and importance.
    I suspect you and I see the franchise very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah one argue that the katana is arguably the most popular and well known/used blade in media of all time.
    Used in past present, futuristic and fantasy settings. I don't see a problem with spears being used the same in for Africa, so long as it's treated the same way as a katana and is able to take on a variety of iterations to maintain and appealing and "cool" factor
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with spears... it's a common weapon all across Africa, so I'd be shocked if the Wakandans didn't use them.

I'm more annoyed that the energy aspect is so much like a rifle. If anything, I would have expected energy bows, or something like a mambele.

Maybe they can get back those spears that the MA stole. Y' know, the ones that can knock a Wakandan jet out of the sky.

I'm kind surprised that T'Challa never recreated the Spear of Bashenga as an energy spear.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Maybe they can get back those spears that the MA stole. Y' know, the ones that can knock a Wakandan jet out of the sky.

I'm kind surprised that T'Challa never recreated the Spear of Bashenga as an energy spear.
    heh, heh, heh....

energy spear.

spear of bashenga...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with spears... it's a common weapon all across Africa, so I'd be shocked if the Wakandans didn't use them.

I'm more annoyed that the energy aspect is so much like a rifle. If anything, I would have expected energy bows, or something like a mambele.
    Nah I think a bow would just be a cumbersome, inferior version to the spear ironically. A mambele would work but then you run into the one and done aspect. I think the rifle part of the spear would work so long as what I mentioned above was also the case and the energy weapon can shoot in multiple ways. Hell my sling shot idea can go the anime style and have energy strikes be shot by however the blade is swung. So slinging slash, chop, pierce, or crushing energy at the target. But my above idea and list was for the mcu. Comics can do the anime style.

I already preordered on comixology. But I’m still going to buy another copy of K.I.B. off the Marvel app. Or just buy a physical copy to keep. I collected a few mint condition 2016 BP#1’s unopened just before the movie dropped because I thought they might be worth something one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    A mambele would work but then you run into the one and done aspect.
    Boomerang!

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    heh, heh, heh....

energy spear.

spear of bashenga...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Hmmm. I get the sense that T'Challa is going to do something badass with a spear.

Boomerang!
    Keep Robin Givens away from T'Challa!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Again...the writer did not do his duty. Synergy or no. The one has very little (absolutely nothing, really) to do with the other, because the comic book writer is not writing the movie, the screen writer is not writing the comic book.
    What point are you trying to make? Do you even know what you're talking about? I've already stated Coates has messed up and this has nothing to do with the scribes of their respective mediums writing material for each other. The fact is, there is synergy and influence to some degree from the MCU towards the comics. You think all those failed Wakanda spinoff books appeared out of the blue and wasn't anyway related to the BP movie? Don't be silly. My point is, Coates and the editors at Marvel Comics really messed up and failed to capitalise on the goodwill that the movie established. They obviously didn't care and just did what ever the hell they wanted. Looking down below at DigiCom's post he seems to get it, which isn't a surprise because I wasn't saying anything that was complicated or untrue.

Incredible Member

Marvel Comics has, more or less without exception, utterly failed to capitalize on the success of the MCU. At best, they've grabbed some of the visuals, and at worst, thrown out a bunch of tie-in miniseries based on characters that share the same names as the latest movie IP.

Or do you think it's a coincidence that Taskmaster & bloody Red Guardian somehow got stories?

I've ranted more than once as to WHY it failed, but I think it can be boiled down to three elements:

1) Divergent continuities. A new reader interested in a specific MCU character has no way to get more of the story.
    2) An archaic ordering system. The whole pre-order system does not lend itself to the casual shopper.
    3) Unclear marketing, especially for the larger franchises. It's often impossible to know where to start.

Contrast this with the My Hero Academia franchise. The comics (manga, for the purists), TV show and movies all share the same continuity. While the latest chapters are only available online, the backstory remains entirely in print. And if a newcomer wants to start at the beginning, all they need to do is but vol 1.

Contrast that with a new young Black Panther fan, who saw & loved the movie and wanted more. He goes to a bookstore and asks for a Black Panther trade.

If he's given the Coates run, the first thing he sees is this:

Or maybe he gets Rise... which uses the comics continuity, so suddenly T'challa's father dies differently.

If he's REALLY lucky, he's pointed at the Priest run... and just has to wonder why T'Challa is bald, but the Dora aren't.

NONE of these continue the story he loved. So it's highly likely he'll just put it back on the shelf.
    Bingo! This right here.