Page 222 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322722 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 15079
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Okay, glad to see most of you thought it was whack too. T'Challa and Wakanda at large were better portrayed in the KIB one shot, as far as I am concerned. Thank the Goddess Coates will be gone soon. Who gets carte blanche to do a BP run just as he's breaking through the global consciousness[thanks to the MCU] and decides to make Wakanda a nation of rapists, colonizers, and slavers? Make their salvation completely dependant on foreign aide [in the form of mostly American superheroes]? How did this get greenlit?
    I think the consensus is that Marvel is run by people who have such a low opinion of the Black Panther IP and of black readers in general that they’ll allow any black person, even those without experience in fiction like Coates, to do whatever they want with the franchise. As long as it’s a black writer and black people in the stories the standards are much lower than they are for a white-led book like Thor. Then there’s a contingent of black readers who actively support and attack those who recognize the low standards to which Black Panther is being held or who straight up think the book is obligated to highlight all black heroes at the expense of the title character.

Marvel doesn’t have any higher ups genuinely interested in fostering any sense of stability with the Black Panther comics, hence why Coates has been allowed to run the title into the ground along with equally garbage BP writers on the spin-off books, with Marvel reaping the benefits through good PR despite putting out low quality books with black leads. But given the commercial failure of this run and the vast majority of the spin-offs we’ll see if Marvel continues in this direction when they inevitably relaunch the book later this year. My hope is we get David Walker or Saladin Ahmed, since unfortunately Marvel has allowed up and coming creator Geoffrey Thorne (writer of the BP KIB tie-in) to go to DC instead of letting him write the solo.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Prodigy, like 98% of the black heroes who showed up in the issue, have not been in this series at all for the last 5 years. Yet they are all now showing up? Miss me with that nonsense. This is is a Wakanda vs future Wakanda issue.

These characters don't make any sort of impact other then to try and help this series not end In a whimper (it still is). Again no one cares about T'Challa or his franchise they are praising the fact that other heroes are showing up to get "elevated" in T'Challas book while he and Wakanda are weakened to make the threat ( which is also isht) appear more credible then it actually is while T'Challa doesn't do anything the entire book. Where do we see Wakanda unleashed? The full power of Wakanda on display with T'Challa leading in the front lines on panel handling business?

Redjack 100% had zero issue showing Wakanda unleashed in 1 single issue, something Coates has failed at for the past 5 years. I don't read BP to see Storm get feats with Monica or really any side characters while T'Challa is nowhere to be seen in his own book. Period end of story.
    I get it. you don't like coates' work but to claim people don't care about tchalla or is franchise isn't correct. they do as indicated by the comments on the YouTube video but on top of that they love seeing Black people fighting together, especially some of the obscure ones.

And tchalla has been handling business. He has inspired not only wakanda but heroes not native wakandans to fight for the cause of protection wakanda. And an endless fleet of wakandans backed by the power of the wakandan gods is a pretty formidable threat imho.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I think the consensus is that Marvel is run by people who have such a low opinion of the Black Panther IP and of black readers in general that they’ll allow any black person, even those without experience in fiction like Coates, to do whatever they want with the franchise. As long as it’s a black writer and black people in the stories the standards are much lower than they are for a white-led book like Thor. Then there’s a contingent of black readers who actively support and attack those who recognize the low standards to which Black Panther is being held or who straight up think the book is obligated to highlight all black heroes at the expense of the title character.

Marvel doesn’t have any higher ups genuinely interested in fostering any sense of stability with the Black Panther comics, hence why Coates has been allowed to run the title into the ground along with equally garbage BP writers on the spin-off books, with Marvel reaping the benefits through good PR despite putting out low quality books with black leads. But given the commercial failure of this run and the vast majority of the spin-offs we’ll see if Marvel continues in this direction when they inevitably relaunch the book later this year. My hope is we get David Walker or Saladin Ahmed, since unfortunately Marvel has allowed up and coming creator Geoffrey Thorne (writer of the BP KIB tie-in) to go to DC instead of letting him write the solo.
    Where is this consensus? Because as I mentioned from the YouTube video their are literally thousands who do like what coates has done for the book.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 03-29-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I get it. you don't like coates' work but to claim people don't care about tchalla or is franchise isn't correct. they do as indicated by the comments on the YouTube video but on top of that they love seeing Black people fighting together, especially some of the obscure ones.

And tchalla has been handling business. He has inspired not only wakanda but heroes not native wakandans to fight for the cause of protection wakanda. And an endless fleet of wakandans backed by the power of the wakandan gods is a pretty formidable threat imho.

Where is this consensus? Because as I mentioned from the YouTube video their are literally thousands who do like what coates has done for the book.
    I’m sure those few thousands are the ones still buying the book as it continues to hemorrhage sales lol. I’m not denying there are some who like the direction Coates is taking the franchise. But looking at the some of the worst sales in BP history and online chatter in places like Reddit, this entire forum, and others, it’s obvious that this run is not nearly as popular, well regarded, or “epic” as Twitter and one Youtuber would have you believe.

And I say this as someone that likes Blerd Without Fear but I have no problem admitting his standards are low and he fits with the few thousand people that champion this story heavily on the basis of blackness, with quality coming second. So yea, Coates has his supporters, especially if they’re not long term BP fans and only know the character from the MCU and his run. But I’m happy you’re enjoying it and will give the next writer the same leeway to do what they please with the franchise as Coates. Assuming you’ll keep reading without Storm in the title lol.

Giving directions isn't handling business.

When the LA Lakers won the championship, they didn't go, "AND YOUR FINALS MVP... FRANK VOGEL!!!!!"

You can be a king and a general... and still be on the front lines leading. It is comics. RedJack showed us that in one issue. Coates hasn't in 5 years.

And I say this as someone that likes Blerd Without Fear but I have no problem admitting his standards are low and he fits with the few thousand people that champion this story heavily on the basis of blackness, with quality coming second.
    Yeah, I don't get this. It is 2021, while settle for scraps? Just because there is black on screen, doesn't mean I have to pretend to LOVE it.

Hell, just because characters I like show up in books, doesn't mean I have to pretend it is the best thing ever. I think Aaron has nailed T'challa in Avengers... but that book hasn't been "great." I like parts of it, but it isn't great. He isn't nailing all the characters on the team at all. You can like aspects of a book without acting like it is gods gift to comics lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Lol most folk are sharing the Eli Bradley panel that's about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mean, would them showing up in a splash page and not saying anything really do anything for those characters?

Glad you enjoyed the issue, but this is just another example with what is wrong with the BP franchise to the core.

It is just used by other fans as an avenue to promote their own black characters. No one gives a crap about the title character.

It does NOT. It does NOTHING for any of those folks to be in that issue. Except for the comments from folks seeking CRUMBS.

Just because there is black on screen, doesn't mean I have to pretend to LOVE it.
    Say it again for the folks in the BACK!

Because here is the REALITY come May 2021-Miles Morales will be the only one with a solo book.

Lol most folk are sharing the Eli Bradley panel that's about it.
    Most reviews do not talk about the BOOK....

Only how great it is to see all these black folks.

Sad thing is that pic of Eli, Rayshaun & Nick Fury would look GREAT if it was the opening to a 5 part mini series starring them.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Okay, glad to see most of you thought it was whack too. T'Challa and Wakanda at large were better portrayed in the KIB one shot, as far as I am concerned. Thank the Goddess Coates will be gone soon. Who gets carte blanche to do a BP run just as he's breaking through the global consciousness[thanks to the MCU] and decides to make Wakanda a nation of rapists, colonizers, and slavers? Make their salvation completely dependant on foreign aide [in the form of mostly American superheroes]? How did this get greenlit?
    Coates will always be a menace. Well unless T'Challa and Wakanda weren't the main reasons to follow the book there is no way anyone will ever convince me that there were pros to his run after all is said and done. There is nothing good in Coates' run that puts T'Challa and Wakanda in good standing. If I hated Black Panther Coates' run is a good run to cite from honestly
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-29-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

It is pretty sad, ultimately. To borrow --- or paraphrase --- from another would-be evil overlord, "So much potential . . . squandered. Wasted."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I scoured those comments you posted of that youtube video...the bast majority of them said nothing about the T'Challa, Wakanda, or the story at all. Just that it was so great Coates had all these Black heroes show up on one page.

And please show me where in the entirety of Coates run did T'Challa 98% of the heroes who showed up? Having random characters show up without reasoning other then the color of their skin isnt good story telling or writing. It's a gimmick. Scraps that many have eaten up. Like MoS said, it's 2021, why are we still acting like this is acceptable for THE premier Black hero to be treated so poorly and to praise the writer champion such drek for so long?

The book is called The Black Panther.

If it's not about the Black Panther, it needs another name.

the end.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It is pretty sad, ultimately. To borrow --- or paraphrase --- from another would-be evil overlord, "So much potential . . . squandered. Wasted."
    So much potential. T’Challa took nonstop L’s from the end of the Hudlin run well into Secret Wars. Lost friends, family, his dignity, and more. He came out of it alive and Coates had an opportunity to put all that to rest with a story that vindicated the character and established why, despite his flaws and failures, T’Challa is a hero worth rooting for.

From a civil war arc that should’ve explored why Wakanda needs it king, to a saga about the gods and their mysteries, all the way to a story that could’ve had Wakanda clash with its literal future and come out on top. The directions Coates went in could’ve been great but he came up short. Let’s hope the next writer has better ideas.

So much potential. T’Challa took nonstop L’s from the end of the Hudlin run well into Secret Wars. Lost friends, family, his dignity, and more. He came out of it alive and Coates had an opportunity to put all that to rest with a story that vindicated the character and established why, despite his flaws and failures, T’Challa is a hero worth rooting for.

From a civil war arc that should’ve explored why Wakanda needs it king, to a saga about the gods and their mysteries, all the way to a story that could’ve had Wakanda clash with its literal future and come out on top. The directions Coates went in could’ve been great but he came up short. Let’s hope the next writer has better ideas.
    The bold, at the end of the day, is the core of what Coates failed at the hardest. WHY Wakanda, after being around for centuries, still has a monarch. Why it needs it's king and Black Panther.

Coates basically turned Wakanda into a weak shell, literally the weakest it's ever been in publication history, all so he could show his love for the X-Men.

As MoS said earlier, Coates wrote this last issue with focus and elevation to prodigy.. which did absolutely nothing, and could of been done by T'Challa while showing him fighting as that would of been a better feat, instead he wasted his second to last issue on a random x character who contributed nothing to the story or franchise yet Coates felt deserved to be the narrator for the entire issue. Legit I'm shocked how people can think this is good storytelling

I’m sure those few thousands are the ones still buying the book as it continues to hemorrhage sales lol. I’m not denying there are some who like the direction Coates is taking the franchise. But looking at the some of the worst sales in BP history and online chatter in places like Reddit, this entire forum, and others, it’s obvious that this run is not nearly as popular, well regarded, or “epic” as Twitter and one Youtuber would have you believe.

And I say this as someone that likes Blerd Without Fear but I have no problem admitting his standards are low and he fits with the few thousand people that champion this story heavily on the basis of blackness, with quality coming second. So yea, Coates has his supporters, especially if they’re not long term BP fans and only know the character from the MCU and his run. But I’m happy you’re enjoying it and will give the next writer the same leeway to do what they please with the franchise as Coates. Assuming you’ll keep reading without Storm in the title lol.
    to the bolded, sometimes i swear I pop in here and its like I'm in the storm forum. as much as some hate for her name to be brought up here yall stay talking about her lol.

to everything else you said, there are a lot of contributing factors that determine how well a book does. Coates name was not tied to world of wakanda and look at how well it fared. I hope for the fandom here the next writer gives you stories you want but black lead comics simply don't do as well as their white counterparts. when you add pirating that happens much more in this era that also leads to precipitous sale numbers. all in all, the loud voices here who do not fancy Coates is not necessarily how others perceive the run.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I scoured those comments you posted of that youtube video...the bast majority of them said nothing about the T'Challa, Wakanda, or the story at all. Just that it was so great Coates had all these Black heroes show up on one page.

And please show me where in the entirety of Coates run did T'Challa 98% of the heroes who showed up? Having random characters show up without reasoning other then the color of their skin isnt good story telling or writing. It's a gimmick. Scraps that many have eaten up. Like MoS said, it's 2021, why are we still acting like this is acceptable for THE premier Black hero to be treated so poorly and to praise the writer champion such drek for so long?
    literally the second comment I saw:

I cant show you any of that but to me that is a silly thing to complain about. tchalla is a well respected hero and avenger who has saved or helped save the world many times over. why wouldn't they come to his aid at his request?

to the bolded, sometimes i swear I pop in here and its like I'm in the storm forum. as much as some hate for her name to be brought up here yall stay talking about her lol.

to everything else you said, there are a lot of contributing factors that determine how well a book does. Coates name was not tied to world of wakanda and look at how well it fared. I hope for the fandom here the next writer gives you stories you want but black lead comics simply don't do as well as their white counterparts. when you add pirating that happens much more in this era that also leads to precipitous sale numbers. all in all, the loud voices here who do not fancy Coates is not necessarily how others perceive the run.
    the Solo, BP wow BP Crew all failed. Black panther DOES succeed... When the character is written properly. Sure he isn't pulling Batman numbers BUT, had Coates gave a isht about T'Challa and building him up, and actually knew how to write fiction, his run would of sold great even early numbers for S1 he was doing well... But he bled so many readers for poor writing that there was no stabilization.

Numbers don't lie, and as much as you want to throw excuses for why Coates isn't doing well or how this run is somehow a success. Numbers. Don't. Lie. There are plenty of other books that are doing well financially despite pirating being more prevalent. That's not why Coates run is a commercial failure.