Page 14 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    A multiverse T'Challa would still require a different actor playing T'Challa....which Kevin Feige said they are not going to do.

If they were going to introduce a different T'Challa in any of the sequels in any capacity, then they would just re-cast the main MCU T'Challa with a different actor and cut out the multiverse angle. Feige clearly said they will not recast T'Challa (and he didn't even leave it open for future possibility like saying "We won't recast T'Challa THIS TIME" or "We won't be recasting T'Challa for Black Panther 2".
    But the point is, that it is a completely different T’Challa. He’s not “our” T’Challa so a different person playing him would be justified. And Feige is gonna look like a massive hypocrite if characters like Iron Man come back via the multiverse but T’Challa is apparently off limits.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    But the point is, that it is a completely different T’Challa. He’s not “our” T’Challa so a different person playing him would be justified. And Feige is gonna look like a massive hypocrite if characters like Iron Man come back via the multiverse but T’Challa is apparently off limits.
    A different person playing ANY version of T'Challa would require a different actor playing T'Challa, it doesn't matter which version. Feige said they will NOT recast T'Challa, period. Using a multiverse approach would negate what Feige said. Disney will not have ANYONE playing ANY version of T'Challa because they don't believe anyone should play ANY version of T'Challa except Chadwick Boseman because of how "iconic" his portrayal of the character was.

Now whether Disney changes its mind about this whole thing remains to be seen.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 01-09-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I am simply saying the multiverse angle could work because it's extremely unwise to just seal off T'Challa. They didn't do it with the Joker so why would T'Challa be any different? Only difference between them is one is an iconic villain and the other is a iconic hero, abd skin color

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I believe Coogler also realized the importance of T'Challa to young Black kids as well. Unless otherwise is said, I believe this was mainly a Disney decision. I don't think, no matter how big a director is, that Disney would completely fold and just go with whatever the director wanted for fear of them walking. That's just not how these big companies work.
    Idk, losing Boseman is a massive blow to the future of the Black Panther franchise. The one thing worse than that is also losing Coogler due to creative differences. Even ignoring the actual story quality, it'd be a PR nightmare to lose not only the lead actor, but also the main writer and director that started the Black Panther phenomenon. The level of confidence people would have in the sequel would be even lower than it is now.

I imagine that Coogler had massive amounts of say in how the future of the franchise would play out because Disney would get a lot of blowback and added pressure if he left or was revealed to be unhappy with the direction. I could certainly believe that Feige, a longtime comic nerd and a risk-averse creator, would rather recast in a few years but cede ground to Coogler who wants to use his creative mind to memorialize his friend. He's a businessman at the end of the day and the last thing you wanna do in his situation is lose more high quality talent. Coogler probably is getting a lot of freedom with this sequel and we'll see how that plays out creatively.

I am simply saying the multiverse angle could work because it's extremely unwise to just seal off T'Challa. They didn't do it with the Joker so why would T'Challa be any different? Only difference between them is one is an iconic villain and the other is a iconic hero, abd skin color
    I agree that it's extremely unwise to seal T'Challa off and never use him in the MCU again, but if Disney was going to use T'Challa in the MCU ever again, they would just recast another actor to portray the main MCU T'Challa and wouldn't even need the multiverse angle. Any way you cut it, ANYONE in the MCU named T'Challa at this point, no matter which version of T'Challa, would require a different actor in the role, which Disney is not comfortable with. Feige never said "We're not recasting THAT version of T'Challa", he said "We're not recasting."
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 01-09-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Astonishing Member

Heath Ledger's Joker showed up in Dark Knight Rises when I wasn't looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    Man, being a Black Panther fan is like eternally walking while trying to carry a heavy ass cross.

I don't want MBJ in BP2 at all, even if it's just for the sake of Coogler making a damn movie without having to cast his ass. Secondly, isn't MBJ preparing to star and direct Creed 3?

Lastly, IF it was Coogler's decision not to recast, then F him.
    I really hope Coogler doesn't become the new Coates on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Heath Ledger's Joker showed up in Dark Knight Rises when I wasn't looking?

Did Joker show up twice in DC movies since the Dark Knight? I'll wait for the answer....
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 01-09-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

Did Joker show up twice in DC movies since the Dark Knight? I'll wait for the answer....
    This omits the context for Ledger's Joker and what it has in common with Boseman. Your argument assumes Nolan just recast him since Joker was meant to be in the sequel as a cameo - he didn't for the same reasons Marvel isn't right now. Ledger's Joker was iconic not seen in a live action performance since Jack Nicolson. Two Joker's did appear years later, in different universes and with directions which didn't duplicate what Ledger's was. And Nolan's universe didn't end with Dark Knight. TDK was made in 2008, Leto's Joker wouldn't show up until 2016.

Or are we going to pretend Marvel's just going to reboot their universe tomorrow?

That's a really good point. Yes, the Joker was recast, but not in the same "universe". The only time I can think of something like that happening for a lead character is the Burton/Schumaker Batfilms, which had pretty loose continuity anyway, and were treated more like the Bond films. Since the rise of the "Cinematic Universe" concept, no major character has been recast (save maybe Bruce Banner, but he and Rhodey can be cropped up to "Early Installment Weirdness").

In a very real sense, this is an important test for Feige. Will he accept the fact that his actors will not always be available, or will he recast/reboot to keep the IP alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    This omits the context for Ledger's Joker and what it has in common with Boseman. Your argument assumes Nolan just recast him since Joker was meant to be in the sequel as a cameo - he didn't for the same reasons Marvel isn't right now. Ledger's Joker was iconic not seen in a live action performance since Jack Nicolson. Two Joker's did appear years later, in different universes and with directions which didn't duplicate what Ledger's was. And Nolan's universe didn't end with Dark Knight. TDK was made in 2008, Leto's Joker wouldn't show up until 2016.

Or are we going to pretend Marvel's just going to reboot their universe tomorrow?
    My argument doesn't "assume" anything because I never said Nolan did that. I said it would be unwise to seal off T'Challa. Straight up that's it. I don't want to wait nma lifetime before seeing T'Challa back on the big screen. O never said that Marvel is going to reboot either.i simply said multiverse is a way to bring back T'Challa and take him in a different direction (maybe more comic accurate) without them feeling like a recast is trying to copy Boseman.

Your trying to argue where there is no need Because what I care about is the importance of the character and what he means to millions of people. He isn't just some mantle to be passed on, replaced by any black person because it's a mantle.

T'Challa, like Wakanda, represents the best we could/ can be abd resonated so hard for young black boys saying they can be king's, they can be more then gang bangers, drug slingers or pimps.

There's been a lot of effort put into Black girl magic, yet Black boys are told essentially to sit down and let the girls take over, ignoring the fact that black boys desperately need the focus too and it's not a zero sum game.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That's a really good point. Yes, the Joker was recast, but not in the same "universe". The only time I can think of something like that happening for a lead character is the Burton/Schumaker Batfilms, which had pretty loose continuity anyway, and were treated more like the Bond films. Since the rise of the "Cinematic Universe" concept, no major character has been recast (save maybe Bruce Banner, but he and Rhodey can be cropped up to "Early Installment Weirdness").

In a very real sense, this is an important test for Feige. Will he accept the fact that his actors will not always be available, or will he recast/reboot to keep the IP alive?
    I just don't have the confidence if this happened to any of the 3 og Avengers that the characters would be retired and those franchises trying to go on with the supporting cast trying to carry the movie

I just don't have the confidence if this happened to any of the 3 og Avengers that the characters would be retired and those franchises trying to go on with the supporting cast trying to carry the movie
    Oh, neither do I. I fully expect that things will be a mess. Perhaps a mess worth watching, but still a mess.

I still don't believe random leaks, though. Especially since NOBODY was talking about casting M'baku as the lead until fairly recently. It was all "Shuri! No, Bring back Killmonger!"

everyone who wants killmonger to be the new black panther has missed the point of the black panther.
    Last edited by Redjack; 01-10-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Oh, neither do I. I fully expect that things will be a mess. Perhaps a mess worth watching, but still a mess.

I still don't believe random leaks, though. Especially since NOBODY was talking about casting M'baku as the lead until fairly recently. It was all "Shuri! No, Bring back Killmonger!"
    Yeah I don't believe this leak AT ALL. It's too far left field for it to be realistic..

Anyways. I hope 2021 gives us BP fans a break. We NEED something. Redjacks one shot will be a start. Hopefully we get some more beacons of hope

Something's been nagging me about the who was really responsible for the no recast rule, though. If anything that part seems like it might be legit. I don't know.

I keep going back to Hugo Weaving. His experience tells us Marvel can enforce contracts, sure, but they have so far chosen not to cause they want to avoid bad blood.

If Feige wanted a recast, and Coogler didn't, he could have said "tough, you signed a contract." But that's now how Marvel, at least under Disney, is run. Its collaborative with both sides compromising if need be. Plus if it was enforced, we don't know if Coogler signed on for BP3 (do we?) that could have easily lead to "Fine but after this I'm done with Marvel." If Marvel/Disney don't want to take the chance of alienating the same director responsible for creating one of the most successful movies in history, then sure they'd cave to his demands. Or demand, if it was simple, "No recast, but I'll create a character that's T'challa-esque."

In other words its not as simple as an employee/employer situation. Not here anyway.

Again, if this is true. For all we know it is fully the other way around, Coogler wanted the recast and Feige said "Nah." But both scenarios ask "Do you really want to alienate the director?" with only one of them sounding like appeasement to keep said director.

The rest of it though I hope its bunk. Remember T'challa isn't dead, just..."not there" apparently. If this new character is installed to be in his stead while he's "away", I can't think of any possible scenario where T'challa would let a newcomer, no matter how capable, deal with TWO powerhouses in Namor and Doctor Doom without his help. Or, what, it happens and the newbie suddenly can't get a hold of T'challa? No minutes on his phone? That part falls apart. The rest, though...wait and see.