Page 15 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115515 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

It's a leak from 4chan. I'm not about to care about it or give it any importance.

I'm also not gonna let it give me a target to hate in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I believe Coogler also realized the importance of T'Challa to young Black kids as well. Unless otherwise is said, I believe this was mainly a Disney decision. I don't think, no matter how big a director is, that Disney would completely fold and just go with whatever the director wanted for fear of them walking. That's just not how these big companies work.
    With white franchises were the characters stories are carefully protected yes. With this its different. Same with how theyve (Marvel) has handled Coats. Hands off with minority properties because they dont feel its the stories lore bringing in the profit but rather the fact that its a minority property. So free reign as long as they gain some profit off the diversity. The truth is that this movie was gonna be successful with or without Coogler but theres no way they could take the pr hit of fighting w him for control after losing boseman. All that aside, I am sure Marvel did want to recast because why would they want to lose their most profitable solo character and theyve recast before. But if this story is true then thats a fight they couldnt win right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    That's a really good point. Yes, the Joker was recast, but not in the same "universe". The only time I can think of something like that happening for a lead character is the Burton/Schumaker Batfilms, which had pretty loose continuity anyway, and were treated more like the Bond films. Since the rise of the "Cinematic Universe" concept, no major character has been recast (save maybe Bruce Banner, but he and Rhodey can be cropped up to "Early Installment Weirdness").

In a very real sense, this is an important test for Feige. Will he accept the fact that his actors will not always be available, or will he recast/reboot to keep the IP alive?

This whole same universe arguement is moot when we are about to see a spiderman movie featuring three different spiderman actors at once

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    everyone who wants killmponger to be the new black panther has missed the point of the black panther.
    To the casual audience the point was that ANYONE can be the black Panther because "its just a mantle". A characterless faceless interchangeable mantle. Which is why Bosemans character isnt necessary to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    This whole same universe arguement is moot when we are about to see a spiderman movie featuring three different spiderman actors at once
    And which of them are replacing the MCU version? Go ahead... I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Something's been nagging me about the who was really responsible for the no recast rule, though. If anything that part seems like it might be legit. I don't know.

I keep going back to Hugo Weaving. His experience tells us Marvel can enforce contracts, sure, but they have so far chosen not to cause they want to avoid bad blood.

If Feige wanted a recast, and Coogler didn't, he could have said "tough, you signed a contract." But that's now how Marvel, at least under Disney, is run. Its collaborative with both sides compromising if need be. Plus if it was enforced, we don't know if Coogler signed on for BP3 (do we?) that could have easily lead to "Fine but after this I'm done with Marvel." If Marvel/Disney don't want to take the chance of alienating the same director responsible for creating one of the most successful movies in history, then sure they'd cave to his demands. Or demand, if it was simple, "No recast, but I'll create a character that's T'challa-esque."

In other words its not as simple as an employee/employer situation. Not here anyway.

Again, if this is true. For all we know it is fully the other way around, Coogler wanted the recast and Feige said "Nah." But both scenarios ask "Do you really want to alienate the director?" with only one of them sounding like appeasement to keep said director.

The rest of it though I hope its bunk. Remember T'challa isn't dead, just..."not there" apparently. If this new character is installed to be in his stead while he's "away", I can't think of any possible scenario where T'challa would let a newcomer, no matter how capable, deal with TWO powerhouses in Namor and Doctor Doom without his help. Or, what, it happens and the newbie suddenly can't get a hold of T'challa? No minutes on his phone? That part falls apart. The rest, though...wait and see.
    Logically imo two options with one much more like to be true.

More likely
    Marvel wants a recast and coogler said no =Marvel backs doen for fear of backlash for fighting with the doctor after the actor passed away. Marvel would lose

Less likely
    Coogler wants a recast and marvel said no = meaning Marvel/Disney would be putting profit aside in the name of "doing the right thing" AND fighting the directors wishes on a minority property.

Logically imo two options with one much more like to be true.

More likely
    Marvel wants a recast and coogler said no =Marvel backs doen for fear of backlash for fighting with the doctor after the actor passed away. Marvel would lose

Less likely
    Coogler wants a recast and marvel said no = meaning Marvel/Disney would be putting profit aside in the name of "doing the right thing" AND fighting the directors wishes on a minority property.
    True, plus the optics of letting this be the first time of enforcing the contract in the first scenario.

I won't make you.
    The point you are missing is that the argument made for not recasting is because it would confused or be jarring to the audience who can apparently only handle one version in one universe at a time.

Spiderman is about to present three. ALL of which are the MCU version once they appear in the MCU together
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-10-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Obviously I'ma take this with a grain of salt. But IF this was true? Then why the **** even continue? If they are going to go so far off that they would create a brand new character all together.

I mean it's not even BP anymore. It would of made more sense to have the sequel just be a in between story focusing on the events between BP 1 and IW. Let time pass so T'Challa can continue. IF this was true then it would be just as bad as the other options. Any ole person can have the mantle and it's just fine. T'Challas. Story. Should. Be. Allowed. To. Be. Finished. Like, why do go through so much gymnastics?

I don't need some new character with a "broken but unique background" I an SO SICK of broken Black characters. What is wrong with T'Challa? A good man with a good heart who cares about humanity? A genius, warrior, Super hero, King? I want to see T'CHALLA lead the franchise
    It’s easier to do “broken” sadly

I think it becomes a question of, if we can get different universe Spidermeb to the MCU, What else can we get? Can we get another T'Challa? Is it really the end of T'Challas era before it actually began? This is NOT an FF situation where it's an ensemble movie so Brian was able to be able to drive off into the sunset. Also is it possible that because he isn't being killed off he can come back? Is he going to get out into a Coates situation where he is whisked off into a worm hole and in a alt universe? So many questions and we just don't know what they intend to do

I'm still down for a D+ story with a young T'Challa when he first became BP. Show him making his habit. Making some of his gear. Just like x man first class, they can have a different cast of younger cast members.

Just don't let us lose T'Challa. Hell do a D+ animation and have James c Mathias voice him.

I'm still down for a D+ story with a young T'Challa when he first became BP. Show him making his habit. Making some of his gear. Just like x man first class, they can have a different cast of younger cast members.

Just don't let us lose T'Challa. Hell do a D+ animation and have James c Mathias voice him.
    That would still require another actor to be cast as T'Challa, which Disney said they will not do.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    That would still require another actor to be cast as T'Challa, which Disney said they will not do.
    Oh for the love of- he said that it would be a younger T’Challa. So having a different actor playing him wouldn’t be a big deal.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Oh for the love of- he said that it would be a younger T’Challa. So having a different actor playing him wouldn’t be a big deal.
    "Oh for the love of?" I don't know why people are getting so upset. Disney has stated they will not recast the character, so I'm not sure why some in this thread are still thinking up ways of the MCU getting another version of T'Challa onscreen. Them getting a "different actor" is exactly what they said they will not do.

But I'm going to leave you all to it.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Spiderman is about to present three. ALL of which are the MCU version once they appear in the MCU together
    I think it becomes a question of, if we can get different universe Spidermeb to the MCU, What else can we get?
    I thunk there's a qualitative difference between "Here's an alternate reality version of the hero who will appear in one movie, possibly only as a glorified cameo" and "here's an alternate reality version of the hero who will replace the original."

Because that's what we're talking about here. Replacing the original with another character by the same name but played by a different actor.

You can argue that the alternate-earth approach is confusing. I'm arguing that it's simply recasting with an excuse.

Honestly, I could see Feige going lots of ways with this one. Some of them I might like, some I might not. But I'm not going to jump on some random post by an anonymous guy who "knows someone", when it's far more likely he's talking out of his @$$.

I'll remind you once more about how accurate fan speculation was in the past. This is a post I made in July of 2018

I don't think that's the only reason (although I'm sure it's a major contributory factor). You also have to remember this:

Bitchers. Gonna. Bitch.

I've talked about this before: While the movie was being made, it felt like 4 out of 5 posters were going "this movie is going to suck", based solely on their interpretation of the movies.

Filming in Atlanta? The film will take place mostly in the US. It's gonna suck.

It takes place mostly in Wakanda? Cap & his team will help save the day, because that's where they were at the end of CW. It's gonna suck.

No Shuri casting announcement? It's gonna suck.

And so on. Hell, even before the movie, people bitched when they thought that AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON took plave in Wakanda, instead of South Africa,

Then the movie comes out. Barely 10 minutes in the US, no sign of Steve Rogers at all. And Shuri has a major supporting role.

The movie SHATTERS box-office records, right and left. Even 48-year old Italian-American geeks enjoy it so much, they watch it more than once.

Are they happy? Of course not. Because the movie doesn't match the image in their heads 100%, it STILL sucks, to a certain class of fan. They pick one or two minor details, blow them up out of proportion, and go trawling for comments & reviews that support the idea, simply so they can feel justified in complaining, because complaining is all that makes them happy.

Or, in short:

Bitchers. Gonna. Bitch.