Page 17 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

1. I dont believe its true.
    2. Unlike before IF Coogler was the one who said for THIS MOVIE dont do T'Chall I'm not going to HATE him for it. He knew Chad and developed a friendship with him. If those voices are still grieving I'm not going to HATE them for it.
    3. I also think regardless it all about erases Michael B. from returning. The point of the Ancestral Plane scene being discussed among fans was to see BOSEMAN and JORDAN interact. If no T'Challa then there's no connection to Killmonger.
    4. As sad as it is to say this is partially the fallout of Chad's privacy. Which I totally understand, but it puts the director, producer, etc in a tough spot. What would he have wanted? We can guess, but we dont know for real. If Boseman told Coogler in the event that I die can you please not have the next movie with me recast then what can we really say? If Boseman was good with being recast then grief wouldnt be a valid excuse.

This is just a tough situation all around.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Kevin Feige stated this today.
    "So much of the comics and that first movie is the world of Wakanda. Wakanda is a place to further explore with characters and different subcultures. This was always and initially the primary focus of the next story. We’re not going to have a CG Chadwick and we’re not recasting T’Challa. Ryan Coogler is working very hard right now on the script with all the respect and love and genius that he has, which gives us great solace, so it was always about furthering the mythology and the inspiration of Wakanda. There’s also the task of honoring and respecting the ongoing learnings and teachings from Chad as well."

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Disgusting. Basically saying nothing of value was lost. I know its a lie because the movie is called Black Panther and not Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Disgusting. Basically saying nothing of value was lost. I know its a lie because the movie is called Black Panther and not Wakanda.
    All I have to say is, if BP2 isn’t as successful as the first one of two things will happen. They will either back pedal and recast T’Challa, regardless of how much Yasss queen Twitter complains, or they’ll close the door on BP’s side of the MCU entirely and they’ll be relegated to guest appearances only (avengers films).
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

So now they are trying to claim the comics is more about Wakanda then T'Challa... I mean... They are really pushing into this angle hard now. Im gonna call bs on that. Maybe they were going to focus the sequel more IN Wakanda but it would be Center around what and who T'Challa was interacting with. No on gave two fraks about the development Wakanda has gotten in comics of late. Numbers show that.

Still not gonna saw too much more but... Ugh

From Wakanda Forever to T'Challa Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    From Wakanda Forever to T'Challa Never.
    If it’s truly T’Challa never from here on out, then I’m done with BP’s side of the MCU. Oh well, at least Sam is gonna be in the big leagues now, along with Blade being right around the corner.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Incredible Member

Y'all are surprised Feige came out with that nonsense.

I posted this on the 11th December in the old thread...

I just saw Feige's quote...

"His portrayal of T'Challa [and] the Black Panther is iconic and transcends any iteration of the character in any other medium from Marvel's past." — Kevin Feige confirms Marvel will not recast Chadwick Boseman's King T'Challa in #BlackPanther2

He better be talking in terms of exposure because as a written character, it's not even close to being remotely true.

Black Panther is finished! They wanted black money and they got it but all the Oscar buzz, noms and wins it got plus being the highest grossing film domestically in 2018...it made more money than Infinity war domestically! Hollywood can't be having that. Seriously, even with Chadwick alive, we were going to get 2 spider-man sequels between BP1 and BP2! BP is the highest grossing and most critically acclaimed solo comic book film of all time and the franchise got slept on instead of capitalising on the insane traction.

Caotes has f'd the comics, the editors over at Marvel don't give a crap and now...on the biggest stage, T'Challa's relegated to being just another African that's easily replaceable. Wakanda itself is the draw??? MISS ME with that bs. To be black in Hollywood is to be f***ed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    So now they are trying to claim the comics is more about Wakanda then T'Challa... I mean... They are really pushing into this angle hard now. Im gonna call bs on that. Maybe they were going to focus the sequel more IN Wakanda but it would be Center around what and who T'Challa was interacting with. No on gave two fraks about the development Wakanda has gotten in comics of late. Numbers show that.

Still not gonna saw too much more but... Ugh
    I told y'all, Coogler and the Disney execs saw the BP IP as an opportunity to do Black Star Wars, not a true solo superhero film, hence why the movie put so much emphasis on the side characters and basically spent a part of third act showing other characters being offered the mantle. Other posters got some hard pushback for saying it, from me included, but I think the actual movie and Feige's own words are proof. This was always the story of Wakanda first, an ensemble with a REALLY strong lead in Boseman's T'Challa.

In the minds of many black folks and businesspeople, the strength of the BP franchise lies in the setting of Wakanda, T'Challa is just a useful anchor but ultimately one they feel can be replaced. After all, he was more a cipher for the evolution of Wakandan politics with the easily replicable arc of "following in the footsteps of a fallen king" than the character actually from the comics. This is like if Cyclops died in the MCU, you'd have Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, and numerous other characters who can fill that "leader" archetype that T'Challa played.

Time will tell if Disney's right from deviating from the source material. But the narrative they're trying to spin that what they're doing is supported by the comics is simply disgusting. Then again, if you don't actually read the comics and only saw the film it's a convincing argument. Really questioning if I still wanna see BP2 in theaters if this is going to be the narrative Disney runs with.

Astonishing Member

1. I dont believe its true.
    2. Unlike before IF Coogler was the one who said for THIS MOVIE dont do T'Chall I'm not going to HATE him for it. He knew Chad and developed a friendship with him. If those voices are still grieving I'm not going to HATE them for it.
    3. I also think regardless it all about erases Michael B. from returning. The point of the Ancestral Plane scene being discussed among fans was to see BOSEMAN and JORDAN interact. If no T'Challa then there's no connection to Killmonger.
    4. As sad as it is to say this is partially the fallout of Chad's privacy. Which I totally understand, but it puts the director, producer, etc in a tough spot. What would he have wanted? We can guess, but we dont know for real. If Boseman told Coogler in the event that I die can you please not have the next movie with me recast then what can we really say? If Boseman was good with being recast then grief wouldnt be a valid excuse.

This is just a tough situation all around.
    It is the fallout of Boseman's privacy, had he let Disney know beforehand he would've been able to help sort things out in case he couldn't beat the cancer. But it was 100% his right to keep things private and prioritize his emotional and physical health and avoid potential harm to his career. Can't say that's what I would've done but I haven't lived through what Chad went through. Hell, maybe he was confident that they would recast and is just as surprised as we are. It's a terrible situation but really this is a matter of some people being so hurt and blindsided by his passing they'd rather memorialize Boseman's character than continue on in his honor.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I told y'all, Coogler and the Disney execs saw the BP IP as an opportunity to do Black Star Wars, not a true solo superhero film, hence why the movie put so much emphasis on the side characters and basically spent a part of third act showing other characters being offered the mantle. Other posters got some hard pushback for saying it, from me included, but I think the actual movie and Feige's own words are proof. This was always the story of Wakanda first, an ensemble with a REALLY strong lead in Boseman's T'Challa.

In the minds of many black folks and businesspeople, the strength of the BP franchise lies in the setting of Wakanda, T'Challa is just a useful anchor but ultimately one they feel can be replaced. After all, he was more a cipher for the evolution of Wakandan politics with the easily replicable arc of "following in the footsteps of a fallen king" than the character actually from the comics. This is like if Cyclops died in the MCU, you'd have Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, and numerous other characters who can fill that "leader" archetype that T'Challa played.

Time will tell if Disney's right from deviating from the source material. But the narrative they're trying to spin that what they're doing is supported by the comics is simply disgusting. Then again, if you don't actually read the comics and only saw the film it's a convincing argument. Really questioning if I still wanna see BP2 in theaters if this is going to be the narrative Disney runs with.
    I mean, it's straight up BS. Like, straight up. Wakanda was never the focus. They didn't set it up like the FF franchise. they didn't set it up like the star wars or x-men franchise either. Everything was always about T'Challa from the jump. People followed T'Challa around. They took orders from T'Challa, the plot moved based on T'Challa, except for the 3rd act partly, and even then it was talk about how F'ed they were this wasn't a star wars situation where critical actions happened with Luke being a big player piece.

I feel like this is an insult on the intelligence of the fans. I also disagree that even if supporting characters got even less screen time and more focus was on T'Challa, that this exact same thing wouldn't happen as well. Look what happened to blade in his series and Snipes was still alive. Again I see this as a Disney made move and not a Coogler one. Fieges comments really grind my gears hard

Incredible Member

Bbbbbbbrrrrrrruuuuuhhhhhhh! I went against my better judgement and went on Twitter Haha! I'm screaming right now. Some of the "suggestions" are beyond insane.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I mean, it's straight up BS. Like, straight up. Wakanda was never the focus. They didn't set it up like the FF franchise. they didn't set it up like the star wars or x-men franchise either. Everything was always about T'Challa from the jump. People followed T'Challa around. They took orders from T'Challa, the plot moved based on T'Challa, except for the 3rd act partly, and even then it was talk about how F'ed they were this wasn't a star wars situation where critical actions happened with Luke being a big player piece.

I feel like this is an insult on the intelligence of the fans. I also disagree that even if supporting characters got even less screen time and more focus was on T'Challa, that this exact same thing wouldn't happen as well. Look what happened to blade in his series and Snipes was still alive. Again I see this as a Disney made move and not a Coogler one. Fieges comments really grind my gears hard
    I agree that Feige could just be talking out his ass with that comment. Saying that the sequel was always going to be a glorified ensemble is much easier than saying Boseman's death wrecks their plans and they're terrified at the changes that have to be made.

Still, I think going off the first film, people in this thread saw the film differently than general audiences, who I think are much more inclined to see it as a vehicle for Wakanda as a whole than T'Challa. Sure Black Panther is the title, gets the most screen time, and has the strongest arc, but a lot of space was given to the side characters and worldbuilding. This is pretty rare in solo superhero films, where supporting casts tend to be weak and limited to 1-2 decent side characters. As I've said multiple times, the specialization given to the supporting cast of 4+ and their generally more vibrant personalities was a huge focal point of the marketing and response to the film.

Their influence on the plot/world is also pretty major, such as Shuri upgrading T'Challa and Wakanda or Nakia being the emotional core that steals T'Challa's best idea from the comics, opening Wakanda. It's a setup not too different from Star Wars where Luke is the obvious lead, but a lot of characterization and emphasis is put on the larger world. That doesn't mean it's not technically a solo film, but it does at times feel as though the world of Wakanda is pushed to the forefront. I definitely think that's what has convinced many people that the world of Wakanda is bigger than T'Challa and that he isn't necessary to continue the franchise. As far as they're concerned, there are enough competent, interesting side characters to "carry on the legacy".

Probably beating the dead horse here but there is a specific reason as to why Stan Lee wanted to create the character which is to steer away from the stereotypical notion/perception that black people were not intelligent or lacked any sort of notoriety in the comic book genre and that they too can be represented in a positive light.

I guess this means F*** all to Marvel at this point and just want to use to brand name to make money. Feige, I expected better from you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Probably beating the dead horse here but there is a specific reason as to why Stan Lee wanted to create the character which is to steer away from the stereotypical notion/perception that black people were not intelligent or lacked any sort of notoriety in the comic book genre and that they too can be represented in a positive light.

I guess this means F*** all to Marvel at this point and just want to use to brand name to make money. Feige, I expected better from you.
    Stan Lee faced opposition even back then when he wanted to create the character. How much more so 50 odd years later where out right racism, prejudice and unconscious bias is at an all time high?Look at the global movement BP had, which started a full year before the film was even released. No other comic book movie, hell, no other movie ever flexed so hard. Certain people and powers that be hate that even if it does make them rich but this is what they generally fear, the black man banding together for a common cause. They don't want to see that happen.