Page 451 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 351401441447448449450451452453454455461501551951 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 15079
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I really don't understand how these casual fans come here and tell us that were hating on our own character.

Most here LOVE tchalla and his universe. If something positive was truely happening for it WHY ON EARTH WOULD WE BE MAD AT THAT? Are you saying we want the character to fail?

Its absurd
    Because when it comes to black male characters-when they are poorly written we are suppose to support that. Meanwhile everyone else can do whatever when it happens to their favorites.

Casual fans act like Black Panther was the Amazing World of Gumball (the series was built upon all the rejected stuff Ben Bocquelet created). Everyone failed and Coates just came and tossed out his run.

Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Priest and others did something with the character. That movie was not because of Coates or that marriage. They were trying for that movie since 1992.

I don’t even have an issue with there being a “little” bit of rape. Like once or twice a year **** happens. I don’t think crime is nonexistent in Wakanda, just incredibly rare. But rape camps in tree houses is the type of imagery you’d only get from a white supremacist who hates Black Panther lol. Or a self-hating fool.
    Only way I would do a rape camp is if I am doing a bigger story about trafficking. Where I could showcase Panther.

Miles Morales dealt with kidnapping of kids in his book. Easy to link that and have Miles & Panther team up.

Have it done at RayShuan Lucas's school-another teamup and Panther meets his mom.

Thunderball use his criminals connections to get more info.

Falcon and Falcon 2 team up with Panther as the trail leads to illegal immigrates kidnapping.

When it's over send MAs to tie up lose ends (and head to limbo). Momma Lucas takes a liking to Panther, I mean Wakanda. Momma and Rayshaun move to Wakanda.

Panther now has a kid to train and annoy Auntie Shuri. Eli Bradley gets his title back and Rayshaun take on a Wakanda id. We find out later Daddy Lucas was a Wakandan.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, Batman stories have occasionally touched on human trafficking and the New 52 Wonder Woman had the Amazons as slavers and rapists.
    In either story is the titular hero hinted at as approving of or at the very least turning a blind eye to those?

Its absurd
    No, it's "literary".

Don't you know things like an exciting plot and well-rounded characters are for "commercial" fiction?

True Art™ requires "social commentary, political criticism, or reflection on the human condition", and is "characterized by an aspiration to literary merit and a greater focus on style, theme and psychological depth".

Seriously, people actually think like that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    No, it's "literary".

Don't you know things like an exciting plot and well-rounded characters are for "commercial" fiction?

True Art™ requires "social commentary, political criticism, or reflection on the human condition", and is "characterized by an aspiration to literary merit and a greater focus on style, theme and psychological depth".

Seriously, people actually think like that.
    It can be both, can't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It can be both, can't it?
    Not according to the New York Book Editors:

https://nybookeditors.com/2018/07/wh...erary-fiction/

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don’t even have an issue with there being a “little” bit of rape. Like once or twice a year **** happens. I don’t think crime is nonexistent in Wakanda, just incredibly rare. But rape camps in tree houses is the type of imagery you’d only get from a white supremacist who hates Black Panther lol. Or a self-hating fool.
    I don't think it's needed at all. I mean yes if it happened at the very least it should of been treated LL Ike Mcgregors run when crack was introduced on Wakanda (T'Challa was like "Not on my country!" And personally took care of it, quickly) and how it was handled.

Honestly at this point however, the better story would of been ot taking place outside of Wakanda, in a neighboring nation. That would of made a hell of a lot more sense was to why it wasn't dealt with (even though the MA WILLINGLY withheld the information then tried to place blame) or "ignored" by the crown
    It also would of allowed for the tackling of how Wakanda action's and intervention in foreign affairs have ramifications especially when it just done on a whim without T'Challa being the spearhead.

Coates just failed and wanted to isn't on Wakanda and T'Challa so that why we don't get nuanced stories with complex plot and instead got treehouses

Lol wtf was that isht. Pretty sure the best stories for super hero comics the plot is built around the character and the Character reacts to things based on established traits. The plot doesn't drive the character

Ultimate Member

Ok. I get what they're saying, but at the same time, plenty of genre fiction is character driven. That's why we keep coming back to these characters

So anyway, who’s ready for that expansion in the Avengers game?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. I get what they're saying, but at the same time, plenty of genre fiction is character driven. That's why we keep coming back to these characters

Its a bit more than that when you're character has the kind of longevity as these heroes. Environment and status quo are extremely important as are a traditional role for the character. Its why spiderman is in NY 99.999 percent of the time. Its why Daredevil is not in space fighting skulls. Its why Conan is almost never in a modern setting and why James Bond doesn't have many if any stories taking place in the American Midwest.

Thats not his environment and not his role. When you have these long running characters those things become PART of the character to the point you cannot really seperate them

There are characters who transcend this like Batman but they are few and far between.

Could TChalla be one of them? I think he certainly can to an extent but it will take time. As of now, he is currently based in Wakanda. Most of his solo stories are going to revolve around that, and maybe some city type street level stuff. Ridley seems interested in getting him into the espionage field. Stepping on Black Widows lane perhaps? Well have to see. It can work if done right.

A lot of people take opinions on this run way too personally. I have no doubt everyone here loves the character and wants to see him succeed. When I disagree with opinions about a run or a direction for a character that isn't me telling you that I think you hate that character. I'm interested in discussing the state of him and what can be done with him in the future. Thats literally all im here for.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post

Idk what's taking them so long with that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Its a bit more than that when you're character has the kind of longevity as these heroes. Environment and status quo are extremely important as are a traditional role for the character. Its why spiderman is in NY 99.999 percent of the time. Its why Daredevil is not in space fighting skulls. Its why Conan is almost never in a modern setting and why James Bond doesn't have many if any stories taking place in the American Midwest.

Thats not his environment and not his role. When you have these long running characters those things become PART of the character to the point you cannot really seperate them

There are characters who transcend this like Batman but they are few and far between.

Could TChalla be one of them? I think he certainly can to an extent but it will take time. As of now, he is currently based in Wakanda. Most of his solo stories are going to revolve around that, and maybe some city type street level stuff. Ridley seems interested in getting him into the espionage field. Stepping on Black Widows lane perhaps? Well have to see. It can work if done right.

A lot of people take opinions on this run way too personally. I have no doubt everyone here loves the character and wants to see him succeed. When I disagree with opinions about a run or a direction for a character that isn't me telling you that I think you hate that character. I'm interested in discussing the state of him and what can be done with him in the future. Thats literally all im here for.
    So basically these characters become so popular and long-lived, they create their own tropes. It's possible T'Challa can do that. There are major and/or recognizable parts of the MU which are already identifiable with Black Panther. Idk about espionage though. I've never been big on Marvel espionage

Anyway, I don't take too much of anything here personally, or at least I try not to. I don't hate all of Coates' BP. I just think some of it is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Idk what's taking them so long with that.
    It was actually ready late last year and Black Panther was going to be the first DLC released, but it was pushed back after Chadwick passed.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Sooooo ready!!!!
    Last edited by Ekie; 05-30-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Ultimate Member

Sooooo ready!!!!
    He's getting an extra villain too, if I'm not mistaken