Page 913 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 413813863903909910911912913914915916917923963 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,695 of 15079

Oh man that was a fun read.
    spoilers:
    I wish it was a different character like taku or someone we actually knew and. It being an OC takes the wind out of it. Also hope omolola isn't the villain Because that's too obvious, too cliche. Maybe make us think it's her but then have it not.

Good to see T'Challa with some Bass in his voice again, and good on him/Ridley to criticize democracy because Coates acted like it was the best thing on earth after asking WHY Wakanda was a Monarch. Ridley answered it in one issue.

Shuri is becoming more and more annoying especially given she had been queen but I am fine with her not being on his corner. T'Challa needs to be shown as head strong and knowing he is doing the right thing despite what everyone else says. Show us why he is the GOAT and THAT guy.
    end of spoilers

Overall good read. Light-years ahead of Coates and I am Actually excited again to read BP.thisnwas definitely a breath of fresh air and I hope Ridley only goes to from here. I look forward to the inevitable 200 issue with cautious optimism lol

Amazing Member

If I’m being honest I gotta say I’m disappointed with the first issue. The writing was boring. This issue was a little too heavy on dialogue and his characterization of T’challa felt too “casual” and more talkative than I like.

Also I just can’t get over Wakanda no longer being a monarchy anymore. The comic keeps referring to their former government as a dictatorship when they were LITERALLY led by Bast’s avatar. Very different than a dictatorship lol

If the writer is able to show T’challa as a superscientist warrior king than I think I might be come around.

spoilers:
    So one of the teases at the end showed a Black Panther vs. Captain America fight. I’m wondering if Ridley is planning a Tower of Babel story where T’Challa’s plans to defeat the Avengers if need be get used against the team, resulting in him getting kicked off? Since the current enemies seem to know a lot about T’Challa’s secrets, assuming that the female agent hasn’t turned traitor and is using T’Challa to find the other agents as some have theorized, perhaps they have access to his anti-Avengers plans as well? Could be cool to see.
    end of spoilers
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Amazing Member

spoilers:

I have to say I'm not down with this whole parliament business. It should have been dropped. Why would a nation with thousands of years of prosperity under their own system of government seek to copy a foreign model of government ? Also "tax codes" and "minimum incomes" ? Its a supernation that now has galaxies worth of resources. Trying to demystify and bring Wakanda down to a common country doesn't sit right. You don't unmask the "hidden elf village," thats an integral part of the story. Also that prime minister lady is annoying to the very core.

Criticism aside though, its refreshing to see a truly confident T'challa again and the story is an interesting one.
    end of spoilers

end of spoilers
    Last edited by ThePantherKing; 11-24-2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Im trying to put on spoiler tags but i dont know how to

Quote Originally Posted by ThePantherKing View Post
    spoilers:

I have to say I'm not down with this whole parliament business. It should have been dropped. Why would a nation with thousands of years of prosperity under their own system of government seek to copy a foreign model of government ? Also "tax codes" and "minimum incomes" ? Its a supernation that now has galaxies worth of resources. Trying to demystify and bring Wakanda down to a common country doesn't sit right. You don't unmask the "hidden elf village," thats an integral part of the story. Also that prime minister lady is annoying to the very core.

Criticism aside though, its refreshing to see a truly confident T'challa again and the story is an interesting one.

end of spoilers
    Just so you know the spoilers tag works like this [spoil] text goes here [/ spoil] except without a space between the / and spoil in the second bracket. If you quote someone you can just copy their spoiler tags if need be.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just so you know the spoilers tag works like this [spoil] text goes here [/ spoil] except without a space between the / and spoil in the second bracket. If you quote someone you can just copy their spoiler tags if need be.
    Thanks. I just fixed it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Owl View Post
    spoilers:
    If I’m being honest I gotta say I’m disappointed with the first issue. The writing was boring. This issue was a little too heavy on dialogue and his characterization of T’challa felt too “casual” and more talkative than I like.

Also I just can’t get over Wakanda no longer being a monarchy anymore. The comic keeps referring to their former government as a dictatorship when they were LITERALLY led by Bast’s avatar. Very different than a dictatorship lol

If the writer is able to show T’challa as a superscientist warrior king than I think I might be come around.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think Ridley is keenly aware that democracy and Wakanda are oxymorons which is why he’s having T’Challa express that and unashamedly showing the limitations of the system. Unlike Coates, who seemed to have no real criticisms of Western-style governance or culture, Ridley’s having T’Challa express a distinctly ruler-oriented viewpoint that centers spirituality and authority over the often chaotic will of the people. It’s a decidedly non-Western worldview and the kind of talk you’d expect from someone who is often steeped in tradition. For all his radical changes to Wakandan society, T’Challa was raised a king and unlike Coates, Ridley is putting that at the forefront in a way that’s sure to be off-putting to fans and the MU alike. If he absolutely had to keep the Wakandan parliament this was the way to do it.

The fact he’s also shows a commoner in Akili express similar views shows the reality is far more complex than Coates originally had readers believe. Wakandan democracy doesn’t magically fix all the issues people had with their country and democracy isn’t going to be what saves Wakanda, only T’Challa can do that. To me that’s gonna be a core theme of this run. But I also don’t think Marvel’s gonna fully endorse T’Challa’s belief in what is essentially autocracy. The truth is somewhere in the middle like a lot of political issues.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by chief12d; 11-24-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Phenomenal issue. Loved it. And I'm someone who liked some of Coates run. This was a nearly perfect issue. I loved the art(this artist does some of the most inve time transitions you'll find in a comic) I loved the conversation in the middle, I dug TChallas voice throughout. I think we were kinda thrown in hot as far as those new guys but I got to get on board for then very quickly.

My only minor flaws are that, and that I'd say TChalla seemed a little two antagonistic with that representative or whatever but I understand that's part of his character.

Im here for the long haul. Gonna try and pick up the Priest/JRJR run too. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    spoilers:
    I think Ridley is keenly aware that democracy and Wakanda are oxymorons which is why he’s having T’Challa express that and unashamedly showing the limitations of the system. Unlike Coates, who seemed to have no real criticisms of Western-style governance or culture, Ridley’s having T’Challa express a distinctly ruler-oriented viewpoint that centers spirituality and authority over the often chaotic will of the people. It’s a decidedly non-Western worldview and the kind of talk you’d expect from someone who is often steeped in tradition. For all his radical changes to Wakandan society, T’Challa was raised a king and unlike Coates, Ridley is putting that at the forefront in a way that’s sure to be off-putting to fans and the MU alike. If he absolutely had to keep the Wakandan parliament this was the way to do it.

The fact he’s also shows a commoner in Akili express similar views shows the reality is far more complex than Coates originally had readers believe. Wakandan democracy doesn’t magically fix all the issues people had with their country and democracy isn’t going to be what saves Wakanda, only T’Challa can do that. To me that’s gonna be a core theme of this run. But I also don’t think Marvel’s gonna fully endorse T’Challa’s belief in what is essentially autocracy. The truth is somewhere in the middle like a lot of political issues.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Nice start by Ridley, I really liked this issue.

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    This was great. I'm kinda surprised Shuri would be astounded at this reveal. Pre-MCU she would've been in full support even if she had been left out the loop. So this is just Ridley projecting Western morality onto her despite the fact only a few arcs ago she was saying Wakandans should accept rape and death as long as Birnin Zana stands. It's weird but it works.

T'Challa needs someone to challenge him and the story works better if he's truly alone in his plots. Better an OG like Shuri than an OC self-insert like Changamire. If T'Challa gets too much support from friends and family it takes away from the obvious stress and arrogance Ridley's trying to convey in the character. This T'Challa is on a collision course with the rest of the MU (much like Hudlin's) and I suspect he's gonna be saying and doing things that alienate a lot of people who are traditionally in his corner.

But overall I liked this a lot. The reviews weren't BSing when they said this is a sharp turn from Coates. I like T'Challa's headstrong attitude and strategic acumen and it's tempered with an obvious love of his people that shows his softer side. That scene of him breaking down after hearing about his friend's death was consistent with the whole vibe Ridley's going for, which is a T'Challa supremely confident and effective but also feeling the pressures of leadership.

I think he's really gonna lean into the Priest-era concept of T'Challa's poker face being a cover for his own sadness and fears, which is a natural idea to return to as takes center stage in the superhero community. A part of me wishes we actually got to see this superspy friend of his prior to their death so we felt more of an emotional attachment. Ridley could have repurposed an old BP ally like Kantu to die because then there'd be a greater sense that this was someone T'Challa valued. Showing not telling and all that.

But this is a really strong debut outside some of the dialogue issues. But that's far easier to fix than some of the issues Coates had so I have faith Ridley will address that as time goes on. And it looks like the theory that T'Challa's going to Mars to save a mutant spy is bolstered by this issue.
    end of spoilers

This is just my response to your post but I am just about to read Ridley's BP #1.

I am bored to near deaty with all this "pressures of leadership" hyper repetitive character degrading shite.... Wakanda is a tiny kingdom, Aquaman and Namor are kings of Atlantis whose power spans oceans repetitively.

We endure 5 years of crybaby Tchalla from TNC/Chokes....Ridley better stay away from such steaming faeces.characterisation. Tchalla ls a warrior king not a petulant manchild for goodness sake.

I hope that's not what I find when I read Ridley's BP#1

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah Coates acted like a democracy was some magical fix all to Wakandas problem yet he didn't even bother to show the Parliament actually doing anything, in fact, not only did they NOTE do anything at all, they referred to T'Challa to solve their problems.

I gotta say, while T'Challa held his ground against everyone who questioned him, I really wish he countered Shuri a little better. Im glad he stuck to his guns and Ridley didn't have him fold like Coates would have, but I wish he countered her complaints with something like "You have worn the crown, you know better than most the morality of the crown" and shut her down. Still miles better than what Coates would of given us.

I like the analogies he gave for a democracy vs the shovel and the democracy vs a dictatorship. Seems Ridley captured the essence of T'Challa and got his voice down for the most part, I just hope he removes the casualness in his voice a bit.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    that it was so few people, and occurred so long ago, does give the impression that this was an early project that T'Challa might have tired after exiling Hunter and his men that didn't work out as planned
    So far the tone of the book screams "Hunter was Right".
    Tchalla seems to be entertaining the same ideas.
    So I really hope he return into the fold.
    I love the supporting cast. Wakanda actually feels like it has moving parts.
    The Bead work was AWESOME! I actually yelp out in excitement. " Like finally! "

If this book was a pilot , I would green light it for a Disney+ series.
    Last edited by BlkGldBlu; 11-24-2021 at 11:05 PM.

so.....

the sex slavery camps have been completely eliminated?

... and if there are still a few left..
    It's the parliament to blame, right? Not T'Challa?