Page 373 of 497 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383423473 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,595 of 7442
  1. #5581
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    12,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Wakanda forever sounds like the kind of title you save for the third movie of a trilogy to cap things off. Unless Black Panther ends up being a duology (at least for now) like some people are speculating. Ugh, we were robbed man.
    Sounds about right.

  2. #5582
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    No matter how good the pitch was Marvel is probably never gonna let a white writer take on the BP solo. Itís a book reserved for black creators and as Vordan said it sets the character up to get a higher proportion of inexperienced scribes. Ridley doesnít fit that mold exactly but the fact is there are no A-list/B-list black comic writers who are gonna immediately attract interest in a book if they were announced except maybe Priest. But because Marvel still wants a writer that is a known quality on the BP solo, theyíll pass over smaller, more experienced creators in favor of celebrity writers.

    TíChalla should be one of those characters where a writer has to work themselves up before getting the opportunity to work with him. Look how long Coates had to write BP and coordinate several spin-offs before Marvel let him do Cap. And remember Coates didnít even wanna write Steve, he wanted to do Spider-Man but Marvel was smart enough to see he wasnít built to handle their most important solo book. Cap was a consolation prize because heís a lower priority than Spider-Man.

    TíChalla should at least be as high a priority as Cap and Tony. You should have at least some experience and some level of acclaim before you get the book, but if Marvelís only standard is black and celebrity, you get stuff like Coates.
    I think Redjack is on his way there too. He has proven himself time and time again. Ontop of the acclaim from BPQ and KiB.

    I think that at this point T'Challa deserves to atleast be as protected ad tony and Cap at a minimum. Now way should Coates of been put on the book. I don't understand why marvel seems to want initial gains that then drop like a rock and lead to floundering sales. It's stupid. You got guys like Redjack or Walker who are competent. Coates era I feel was more detrimental to the character given that he was given free reign to do whatever he wanted and bringer whomever he wanted to trash the mythos and put it into such disarray. What JA is doing with T'Challa should of been complimented by a writer of skill to incorporate some of that stuff onto the solo. Rather than it feel completely secluded from the MU and not even knowing WHEN this solo even takes place. Its ridiculous

  3. #5583
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That's more a problem at Marvel and DC and more importantly a lack of opportunities to write the big name heroes, Supes, Bats, Spidey.

    The majority of poc writers get the obscure or C, D level characters. They get little fanfare, promotion or PR and they usually get the poc characters.
    POC given F list character with meh artist

    F list character predictably doesn't sell

    POC not given any other projects because previous comic didn't sell
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  4. #5584
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I've never bought into the "bigotry of low expectations" considering how much more effort PoC have to put in to get the same respect White people get for doing less.

    Anyway, I see what you're saying. BP needs to be treated the same way as other major characters. Idk what it'll take for that to happen



    I think people protest precisely because Black writers don't get as much respect, as you've pointed out. As for comics outside the big two, they're not as well known, so that doesn't really result in as large of a following to protest in the first place
    The problem with the above is that these people "protesting" in most cases don't give a frak about the character. The fact that that Mark waid was turned down despite actually liking the character, yet Coates was given 5 years of utter shot on T'Challa proves the point that marvel needs to ask these people what the character means to them and what the plan is, and if they have no intention of elevating the character to the next level, or they try pulling Coates isht, they gets snuffed out immediately quickly followed by a palate cleanse

  5. #5585
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Yea. But again that was during the time when it was rumored Namor was going to be the villain (when they were going to make Atlantis = Aztec)

    Still we at least got major castings like Christian Bale for Thor and Jonathan Majors as Kang for Antman. Everything seems to be quiet on the BP front.
    It's quiet because Disney doesn't know WTF they are doing with the sequel despite their claims that this was all part of the plan and doesn't change much with Chads passing and Wakanda was always the focus... It's utter bullshit it's it's crystal clear

  6. #5586
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That's more a problem at Marvel and DC and more importantly a lack of opportunities to write the big name heroes, Supes, Bats, Spidey.

    The majority of poc writers get the obscure or C, D level characters. They get little fanfare, promotion or PR and they usually get the poc characters.
    It would help if the big 2 did more to lift up those PoC and C/D level characters instead of relying on one or two

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The problem with the above is that these people "protesting" in most cases don't give a frak about the character. The fact that that Mark waid was turned down despite actually liking the character, yet Coates was given 5 years of utter shot on T'Challa proves the point that marvel needs to ask these people what the character means to them and what the plan is, and if they have no intention of elevating the character to the next level, or they try pulling Coates isht, they gets snuffed out immediately quickly followed by a palate cleanse
    Idk if none of these people don't care about the character.

  7. #5587
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    12,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    POC given F list character with meh artist

    F list character predictably doesn't sell

    POC not given any other projects because previous comic didn't sell
    Yeah, I forgot about the subpar art.

    David Walker did pretty good on Cyborg for DC and the art was good too. He made it so that Victor got over a lot of his issues and he could change his body to appear human which a lot of people liked.

    What did DC do once the book ended? Undo everything that Walker had done.

    Walker then does Nightwing at Marvel was some of the most...unlikeable art I've seen. Then they killed him.

  8. #5588
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about the subpar art.

    David Walker did pretty good on Cyborg for DC and the art was good too. He made it so that Victor got over a lot of his issues and he could change his body to appear human which a lot of people liked.

    What did DC do once the book ended? Undo everything that Walker had done.

    Walker then does Nightwing at Marvel was some of the most...unlikeable art I've seen. Then they killed him.
    lol how about Rejack inventing Mosaic... and then the X office uses him and never even asks him what his powers actually are lol

    Walkers PM and IF was good enough to last 30+ issues from memory... but the art for that series was definitely... stylish and not to a lot of peoples taste
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 05-07-2021 at 10:13 AM.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  9. #5589
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,330

    Default

    I think people protest precisely because Black writers don't get as much respect, as you've pointed out. As for comics outside the big two, they're not as well known, so that doesn't really result in as large of a following to protest in the first place
    There have been black writers who have gotten death threats over books that were not Big Two. See Kwanza Osajyefo.

    POC given F list character with meh artist
    F list character predictably doesn't sell
    POC not given any other projects because previous comic didn't sell
    Funny thing is those same black writers go to OTHER places and LOL have success.

    See Bitter Root with David Walker.
    See Excellence at Image by Brandon Thomas & Khary Randolph.

    Lets not forget when POC HAVE success-how fast is that UNDONE???? Or belittled?
    Cassandra Cain anybody?
    How fast did Prodigy get tossed out of X-Land to be a joke for Antman?
    I got milk cartons with Jason Rsuch, Val Zod, Flint, Hotspot, Blurr and Tanya Spears faces on it.
    Val Zod's fan got their feelings HURT recently. That is why you don't see them anymore.

    Walkers PM and IF was good enough to last 30+ issues from memory... but the art for that series was definitely... stylish and not to a lot of peoples taste
    Khary Randolph and Sanford Greene did the art for Mosaic and Powerman & IF. FUNNY folks have issues with their art on THOSE books to not want to support them.
    Now put them on X-books or Batman-no one has an issue.
    See Greg Land with Mighty Avengers. Same thing no issue with his 45 issues on X-Men but MA was a different story.

  10. #5590
    Mighty Member Ekie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That can be the title of BP3: All Quite on the Wakanda Front



    What is even the point of putting out faulty rumors if they'll be so easily refuted?
    To put out so many of them that there's an off chance that at least a couple will be right and people will believe you're an Insider

  11. #5591
    Mighty Member Ekie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It's quiet because Disney doesn't know WTF they are doing with the sequel despite their claims that this was all part of the plan and doesn't change much with Chads passing and Wakanda was always the focus... It's utter bullshit it's it's crystal clear
    Yup.
    Doesn't know and doesn't care so long as Coogler finds the way to bring in some general black revenue and casuals scream Wakanda Forever while only spending temporary cash on no-name or brand new characters they wont support down the line through merch, comics, ect.

    Same hands off approach Marvel takes to maintaining a coherant storyline for Tchallas comic franchise.

  12. #5592
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    To put out so many of them that there's an off chance that at least a couple will be right and people will believe you're an Insider
    Ok. Well, being wrong so often makes that seem unbelievable

  13. #5593
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It would help if the big 2 did more to lift up those PoC and C/D level characters instead of relying on one or two



    Idk if none of these people don't care about the character.
    Coates, Gay, Yona and Nnedi, and Vita all gave zero ishts about T'Challa and it showed on the pages. The amount of disdain for the character was glaring.

  14. #5594
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    lol how about Rejack inventing Mosaic... and then the X office uses him and never even asks him what his powers actually are lol

    Walkers PM and IF was good enough to last 30+ issues from memory... but the art for that series was definitely... stylish and not to a lot of peoples taste
    Or there's a run that's utter dog isht that get lauded as some great thing that deserves to be adapted on the big screen (looking at Doomwar and Coates garbage)

  15. #5595
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Coates, Gay, Yona and Nnedi, and Vita all gave zero ishts about T'Challa and it showed on the pages. The amount of disdain for the character was glaring.
    I mean people criticizing Marvel for not having enough Black writers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •