Page 337 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387437837 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 15079
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Espionage? Ok. I see what you mean. I guess I like to see him do all that stuff. Wakanda is interesting, but not the only think BP is part of, and I like seeing him interacting with other heroes a lot, although I feel that way about most heroes. I see the value of him having his own little world, but I think he can be part of both. Plus him being a leader of various heroes is pretty cool too. I think he can keep Agents of Wakanda around, although some of the team members aren't my favorite.
    Yea the way I look at it, T’Challa is basically a mainstay Avenger, he’ll always be appearing in some kind of team book where he can interact with other heroes, whether it be the Ultimates, the Avengers proper, or some other secondary team. So while I’m not opposed to team ups and T’Challa working with other heroes in his main book, he’ll already be doing that in a specific team setting.

I 100% agree he’s more than just a Wakandan character and given the tendency some writers have to focus too much on Wakanda I’m all for T’Challa spending more time abroad, meeting foreign heroes, and leading non-Wakandans. But I don’t think that should override his own mythos or the need to develop his own supporting cast and rogues gallery. So I’d like a nice balance, which is certainly achievable as writers like Priest and Hudson showed.

True, they look pretty good.

The public/media perception of "look the part" has been criticized for being incorrect, though. That may be why Pattinson didn't want to go along with it. Being bulky doesn't necessarily translate to good fighting capability either.

Editors seem to be willing to be hands on when it suits them. But being consistent here doesn't seem to be a priority
    I think you need to Google olympic level gold medalist gymnast look like, as well as heavy weight boxers/ MMA fighters. Of you are physically beating down baddie's you gotta have the strength to put some down. None of the guys I mentioned are massively overly muscled. BUT you need to be physically capable for the role of Batman. No one would believe some small dude is going to beat down Bane. Not unless babe is played by Danny Devito

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea the way I look at it, T’Challa is basically a mainstay Avenger, he’ll always be appearing in some kind of team book where he can interact with other heroes, whether it be the Ultimates, the Avengers proper, or some other secondary team. So while I’m not opposed to team ups and T’Challa working with other heroes in his main book, he’ll already be doing that in a specific team setting.

I 100% agree he’s more than just a Wakandan character and given the tendency some writers have to focus too much on Wakanda I’m all for T’Challa spending more time abroad, meeting foreign heroes, and leading non-Wakandans. But I don’t think that should override his own mythos or the need to develop his own supporting cast and rogues gallery. So I’d like a nice balance, which is certainly achievable as writers like Priest and Hudson showed.
    Ok. I've never really been into the whole idea of every hero needing their own supporting cast or rogues gallery, although I think main heroes like T'Challa should get some kind of regular supporting character, sort of a "jimmy olsen" or "Alfred" or something like that. But the whole "independent rogues/support" doesn't seem to actually be reflected in the comics. It doesn't hurt, of course, but I don't think it's necessary for heroes like T'Challa to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think you need to Google olympic level gold medalist gymnast look like, as well as heavy weight boxers/ MMA fighters. Of you are physically beating down baddie's you gotta have the strength to put some down. None of the guys I mentioned are massively overly muscled. BUT you need to be physically capable for the role of Batman. No one would believe some small dude is going to beat down Bane. Not unless babe is played by Danny Devito
    I don't think they shouldn't train at all, just not to the extremes sometimes demanded by Hollywood

Astonishing Member

Ok. I've never really been into the whole idea of every hero needing their own supporting cast or rogues gallery, although I think main heroes like T'Challa should get some kind of regular supporting character, sort of a "jimmy olsen" or "Alfred" or something like that. But the whole "independent rogues/support" doesn't seem to actually be reflected in the comics. It doesn't hurt, of course, but I don't think it's necessary for heroes like T'Challa to be good.
    It really depends on what you think makes a solo character “good”. I can’t think of any major characters who don’t at least have their own supporting cast. Maybe Carol Danvers, but personally speaking I think having his own supporting cast is good for T’Challa because it allows for opportunities to worldbuild Wakanda and develop his relationships with characters we know he’s close to, like his sister and childhood friends. Obviously it’s important he be shown developing his relationships with other heroes, but he already has a spot on superhero teams like the Avengers so why use the solo just to have him surrounded by other heroes too, ya know?

If Marvel did that then I feel they’d be underutilizing characters like Shuri and Okoye, who offer a lot as supporting characters. But I definitely want to see T’Challa team up with characters like Black Bolt and Luke Cage, for the longest I’ve wanted Brother Voodoo to be part of T’Challa’s supporting cast as the resident magic user in the BP mythology. I don’t know how feasible that is but there’s definitely space in the solo to expand on T’Challa’s connection to the wider MU while building up his longtime supporting cast and rogues gallery that help him on his solo adventures. I agree T’Challa should have a “regular” person in his supporting cast, he basically had that with Zuri who was a surrogate father/cool uncle, but he’s dead and there don’t seem to be any plans to bring him back.

Ultimate Member

It really depends on what you think makes a solo character “good”. I can’t think of any major characters who don’t at least have their own supporting cast. Maybe Carol Danvers, but personally speaking I think having his own supporting cast is good for T’Challa because it allows for opportunities to worldbuild Wakanda and develop his relationships with characters we know he’s close to, like his sister and childhood friends. Obviously it’s important he be shown developing his relationships with other heroes, but he already has a spot on superhero teams like the Avengers so why use the solo just to have him surrounded by other heroes too, ya know?

If Marvel did that then I feel they’d be underutilizing characters like Shuri and Okoye, who offer a lot as supporting characters. But I definitely want to see T’Challa team up with characters like Black Bolt and Luke Cage, for the longest I’ve wanted Brother Voodoo to be part of T’Challa’s supporting cast as the resident magic user in the BP mythology. I don’t know how feasible that is but there’s definitely space in the solo to expand on T’Challa’s connection to the wider MU while building up his longtime supporting cast and rogues gallery that help him on his solo adventures. I agree T’Challa should have a “regular” person in his supporting cast, he basically had that with Zuri who was a surrogate father/cool uncle, but he’s dead and there don’t seem to be any plans to bring him back.
    Oh. I didn't count Shuri as supporting character but supporting hero. IMO supporting character is like Jarvis or Aunt May. I'd like them to keep and expand on Shuri as her own hero in the BP world. He could have other minor non-heroes, like Dr. Voodoo, as part of his team

I see what you mean about developing his solo book. Really outside of the big four, and maybe Dr. Strange, most of the Avengers haven't developed much outside cast members. As others here have pointed out, BP's support just hasn't been as consistently been around as much as other supporting characters like Jameson, Rick Jones or even Wong. Which is really IMO a mistake. But, it seems Marvel hasn't been as committed to that. Idk if that'll turn around. But if they want to keep BP going as a solo character too, at least 1 or 2 consistent supporting characters should consistently appear

It really depends on what you think makes a solo character “good”. I can’t think of any major characters who don’t at least have their own supporting cast. Maybe Carol Danvers,
    Carol steals from the Kree/Mar'Vel a good bit.

Probably only really Deadpool and Punisher.

There is a reason comic vet Priest came in and immediately created (or made important) Okoye, Nakia, Zuri, Ramonda, Hunter, QDJ... brought Monica back in the for front while also having Storm "around" to create tension. and then add in Ross and Nikki as well.

Priest ain't dumb lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

With the exception of Spidey & the FF, most Marvel books tend not to have large supporting casts consistent across multiple runs. Instead, they tend to change with the writer, often without explanation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

There is a reason comic vet Priest came in and immediately created (or made important) Okoye, Nakia, Zuri, Ramonda, Hunter, QDJ... brought Monica back in the for front while also having Storm "around" to create tension. and then add in Ross and Nikki as well.

Priest ain't dumb lol
    Yea Carol exists in that awkward middle ground where lots of her cast are transplants from the original Mar-Vel or independent heroes like Spider-Woman and (more frequently) Ms. Marvel. She’s the only major character I can think of who doesn’t really have her own supporting cast built specifically for her. She makes it work though, she’s kicking T’Challa’s ass in sales lol. So clearly original supporting cast is not a deal breaker.

Priest had the right idea, do team ups where they make sense (Heroes for Hire while in New York for example) while elevating in-house supporting characters. Hudlin moved away from that by elevating a non-BP character to being the de facto co-lead of his run and Coates took that to the extreme by bringing her back while also bringing in Manifold to be a taxi for 6 years. Now we have the final issues of his run and it’s just a big showcase for a bunch of heroes T’Challa rarely interacts with. I don’t have an issue with a lower level character like Voodoo being a constant presence in the book, but it shouldn’t be haphazard or be done to such an extent that it takes away from major in-house cast.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Priest ain't dumb lol
    Yeah and really T'Challas main "cast" should consist of: Shuri, Okoye, LI, W'kabi (or mcu synergy M'Baku) and Akili/Kasper. But even then they all show up to support and elevate T'Challa. But T'Challa needs a best friend back. I would actually like to see M'Baku be T'Challas friend against and have that play out as they used to be brothers essentially and T'Challa trusted him enough to let him run Wakanda while he was gone. That some serious trust and given the reception of M'Baku, maybe something to try out.

Either way, the cast of semi regulars should consist of those 5 on rotation if needed. Similar to Hudlins WitBP. I feel that showed a good use of the supporting cast. Or 4 the hard way when he had like as a consistent guest star

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    With the exception of Spidey & the FF, most Marvel books tend not to have large supporting casts consistent across multiple runs. Instead, they tend to change with the writer, often without explanation.
    Doesn't seem very helpful for those other heroes. Although do the FF have anyone besides Alicia Masters as consistently regular support?

Yea Carol exists in that awkward middle ground where lots of her cast are transplants from the original Mar-Vel or independent heroes like Spider-Woman and (more frequently) Ms. Marvel. She’s the only major character I can think of who doesn’t really have her own supporting cast built specifically for her. She makes it work though, she’s kicking T’Challa’s ass in sales lol. So clearly original supporting cast is not a deal breaker.

Priest had the right idea, do team ups where they make sense (Heroes for Hire while in New York for example) while elevating in-house supporting characters. Hudlin moved away from that by elevating a non-BP character to being the de facto co-lead of his run and Coates took that to the extreme by bringing her back while also bringing in Manifold to be a taxi for 6 years. Now we have the final issues of his run and it’s just a big showcase for a bunch of heroes T’Challa rarely interacts with. I don’t have an issue with a lower level character like Voodoo being a constant presence in the book, but it shouldn’t be haphazard or be done to such an extent that it takes away from major in-house cast.
    Mar-Vell isn't around though, so I don't think he'll mind. Maybe putting minor heroes as supporting cast is the way to go, especially if they can't get solos. And actually keep supporting characters going

I really wish they had Taku in the film working in the Techno Jungle. Would have also been cool visually

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I really wish they had Taku in the film working in the Techno Jungle. Would have also been cool visually

Indeed. The Techno Organic Jungle would also be great to see in a futuristic version of Wakanda wherein unlike so much of the rest of the world, technology and nature are so thoroughly enmeshed and harmonized with each other, they might as well be one and the same.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Doesn't seem very helpful for those other heroes. Although do the FF have anyone besides Alicia Masters as consistently regular support?
    Technically, the kids and the Future Foundation have been around for a while. Not to mention Willie Lumpkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. The Techno Organic Jungle would also be great to see in a futuristic version of Wakanda wherein unlike so much of the rest of the world, technology and nature are so thoroughly enmeshed and harmonized with each other, they might as well be one and the same.
    There are a bunch of "solarpunk" stories that sort of operate on that level.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Technically, the kids and the Future Foundation have been around for a while. Not to mention Willie Lumpkin.
    Oh that's true. Idk if Lumpkin is as prominent as someone like Jarvis or Rick Jones. But at least he's there, I guess