Page 374 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 274324364370371372373374375376377378384424474874 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I mean people criticizing Marvel for not having enough Black writers.
    They definitely don't have enough black writers. But the problem is not just any black writer will do. There are plenty of black comic book writers out there to choose from instead they're opting for celebrities and political statements.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    They definitely don't have enough black writers. But the problem is not just any black writer will do. There are plenty of black comic book writers out there to choose from instead they're opting for celebrities and political statements.
    Political statements aren't even necessarily bad, as long as they don't result in poor stories.

Incredible Member

JR has more than paid his dues he is beyond qualified and I hope the rumor is true
    loved his american way series

Political statements aren't even necessarily bad, as long as they don't result in poor stories.
    I don't mean making political statements with the stories being told. I mean with the chosing of who gets to tell them

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I don't mean making political statements with the stories being told. I mean with the chosing of who gets to tell them
    I see what you mean. Even at that, they can still pick people who can write good stories

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    JR has more than paid his dues he is beyond qualified and I hope the rumor is true
    loved his american way series
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I like Ridley's work, for the most part.

I am optimistic the franchise is in good hands.

Guess my version is going to have to get the INVINCIBLE treatment.

hmmm.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post

hmmm.
    Your Green Lantern is awesome

Ultimate Member

The issue is you have to be careful WHO you hire as we have seen the past 5 years.

There is a time and place for everything. Along with telling both sides of a story.

The issue I have seen with certain black writers-they want to preach and at times PANDER to that echo chamber known as Fake woke Black Twitter. Like trying to prove a character is black by introducing black misery and stereotypes. Like we have seen the past 5 years.

I don't need a black writer to try to PROVE these characters are BLACK. I keep hearing that way too much.
    Along with attacks on BLACK WRITERS who do what is not considered pro-black.

Lion Forge's Noble did an issue that showed Noble's granny dying at the hands of BLACK gangs. Kevin Grevioux got called all sorts of coons and uncle toms by Black Twitter and even some black writers. But if he Noble's granny killed by white cops-they would be cheering.

There folks are NOT writing. They are pandering to an echo chamber that thinks blackness is nothing but misery. All they are doing is alienating folks.

Africa is not all rape camps or killer solider boys or Feed the children or abused women.
    Not every black school in the USA is a sh*t hole school.
    Not every cop stop for a black person ends in death.

Yet these black misery pimps want to make it that way.

And there are plenty of writers (actual comic writer's) out there who are black that deserve a shot at it. Not these nonfiction writers who have zero experience in writing Comics and see the characters are a simple vehicle for their agenda and will burn them to the ground of it means getting their message ™ across.

I want someone on the book who actually gives a frak about T'Challa and wants to elevate him. The color of their skin doesn't matter. Coates has already shown that being a Black man doesn't mean isht if your intention is to throw every racist stereotype you can onto the Mythos except for the fact he can get away with it because he is black. If he were a white man he would of been lit up hard and marvel would of had a bad PR on their hands. It's really a Shane to see fellow black folks toe the line of isht Black people face already from some white folks

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue is you have to be careful WHO you hire as we have seen the past 5 years.

There is a time and place for everything. Along with telling both sides of a story.

The issue I have seen with certain black writers-they want to preach and at times PANDER to that echo chamber known as Fake woke Black Twitter. Like trying to prove a character is black by introducing black misery and stereotypes. Like we have seen the past 5 years.

I don't need a black writer to try to PROVE these characters are BLACK. I keep hearing that way too much.
    Along with attacks on BLACK WRITERS who do what is not considered pro-black.

Lion Forge's Noble did an issue that showed Noble's granny dying at the hands of BLACK gangs. Kevin Grevioux got called all sorts of coons and uncle toms by Black Twitter and even some black writers. But if he Noble's granny killed by white cops-they would be cheering.

There folks are NOT writing. They are pandering to an echo chamber that thinks blackness is nothing but misery. All they are doing is alienating folks.

Africa is not all rape camps or killer solider boys or Feed the children or abused women.
    Not every black school in the USA is a sh*t hole school.
    Not every cop stop for a black person ends in death.

Yet these black misery pimps want to make it that way.
    I mostly agree with you. I do think they should be more careful with who rights these comics, at least as much as they do with Spider-Man.

However, I don't feel they should pretend everything is easy for Black people. Things like police brutality are a problem, and just pretending they're not isn't good either. Lots of right wing types just want everything to be all "life is perfect, what are you guys complaining about" and I'm not interesting in placating that.

I think all facets of the Black experience should be shown. The problem seems to be some writers only focusing on some aspects.

Admittedly, I think the reception for this kind of story seems to vary depending on the audience.

hmmm.
    Still going to hold out hope that Marvel picks you as the next BP scribe after JR (if he really is the next writer) and allows you to show us your version of BP. Seriously i have read KiB do many times, it's one of my favorite stories even though it's short. I wish it got the SWaD treatment still but oh well.. still rooting for you and I may even just have to pick up your green lantern simply because I know your skill

I mostly agree with you. I do think they should be more careful with who rights these comics, at least as much as they do with Spider-Man.

However, I don't feel they should pretend everything is easy for Black people. Things like police brutality are a problem, and just pretending they're not isn't good either. Lots of right wing types just want everything to be all "life is perfect, what are you guys complaining about" and I'm not interesting in placating that.

I think all facets of the Black experience should be shown. The problem seems to be some writers only focusing on some aspects.

Admittedly, I think the reception for this kind of story seems to vary depending on the audience.
    I think you should read Priest and Hudlins takes. They have political commentary and relevance that isn't pretending that stuff doesn't happen while also not conforming to black misery. Those two, Priest especially, did it right. Coates and his merry band of neophytes is how NOT to do it

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think you should read Priest and Hudlins takes. They have political commentary and relevance that isn't pretending that stuff doesn't happen while also not conforming to black misery. Those two, Priest especially, did it right. Coates and his merry band of neophytes is how NOT to do it
    I definitely agree Coates hasn't done it correctly in all aspects. I've read parts of those runs but that was a while ago. I'd finish them at some point

I think it's possible, though, what is considered relevant commentary may have changed since then. A lot of the political/social landscape has changed, so newer readers may be looking for different things. Not that all changes are good, though
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 05-07-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Ultimate Member

hmmm.
    Absolutely loving the GL stuff.

Talk about a complete de-construction.

I'm really looking forward to what's coming next.