Page 744 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 244644694734740741742743744745746747748754794844 ... LastLast
Results 11,146 to 11,160 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    They're way too caught up on the whole fighting against oppression part of his character and ignore everything else.
    People love to justify villains they like.

People justify Loki slaughtering people because Odin..... rescued him and raised him as a prince but lied to him about it and yelled at him? like... wut lol?

Killmongers first appearance on screen saw a bunch of museum workers dead on the ground. But it is ok because "muh oppression white people bad"

Dudes just a Hotep that is good at killing.

Great villain though lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

All this did was remind me that T'Challa/Killmonger (Boseman and Jordan) had the greatest hero/villian dynamic in the MCU.

Got damn Boseman's final line delivery.

Also my goodness MCU the What If episodes are proof that you NEED T'Challa. I'm loving this show but its pissing me off thinking about live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    All this did was remind me that T'Challa/Killmonger (Boseman and Jordan) had the greatest hero/villian dynamic in the MCU.

Also my goodness MCU the What If episodes are proof that you NEED T'Challa. I'm loving this show but its pissing me off thinking about live action.
    Variant or bust in live action. Variant or bust.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

spoilers:
    I'm glad the scene on the ancestral plain wasn't Killmonger seeing his dad but T'Challa calling him out.

On some level I feel like that was Bast showing she doesn't really approve of him as Black Panther.
    end of spoilers

This what if really showed how much of a hero T'challa really is.

Which makes it all the more baffling and painful they decided to not recast.

Tchalla was really about to "make it."

And now the franchise is dead instead.

Oh well.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

spoilers:
    "Proving once again, Storm, that you are a goddess."
    end of spoilers

Never tell me that Narcisse should write Black Panther again.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Man I thought the story was good. It was definitely more of an M'Baku story but I saw enough of T'challa in it to be pleased. One shots are a good place to give side characters a little shine. It added more depth to the character, and I was ok with that. Got our first sneak peek at the villain for the main series as well.
    After reading Priest's run on Black Panther, I can truly said I've learned nothing, but I remember everything!
    I'm back from the Djailia!
    Since D9 exists in the MU, T'challa is definitely an Alpha! (Don't Debate me)

Extraordinary Member

They got nearly everybody to do voices for this one but Jeff Bridges, G. Paltrow and Leticia Wright ( who maybe they didn't ask to be in this).

Fanboy angst aside this was really well done.

Considering the last 2 What If's ended with the destruction of all life on Earth, this at least had a hopeful ending.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    And having you know who be the one to say that is even worse lol. The lack of any consistency when it comes to Black Panther characters and how they get treated whenever Storm is involved is asinine and would not get tolerated if it were the other way around. This was definitely a Coates sequel, I don’t expect it to go anywhere as far as Ridley’s upcoming relaunch is concerned. Otherwise he would’ve written it himself or more would’ve been done to connect to the book outside an easy to miss reference.

But Narcissi is a Coates fan and I won’t be confident in him taking on BP unless he had a strong editor that doesn’t let him import every single idea Coates did. Because that’s basically what we got here and while this was much better than the vast majority of BP comics we’ve gotten since 2016, I didn’t like seeing so much recent continuity being mined even if technically it made sense. There’s a very good chance that if Narcisse got the book we’d get a supporting cast and exploration of some of the same themes Coates did, neither of which I want to see.

I still don’t like this version of M’Baku and this wasn’t nearly as complex or interesting a character journey for him as I hoped. He’s just another gruff, tragic warrior with next to no personality flaws or quirks. But I guess there’s only so much you can expect out of a side character. Thankfully it doesn’t seem like there are any plans for this version of the character moving forward so hopefully they just bring back the old version or find a way to kill this one off and have W’Kabi occupy his niche.

Manifold continues to be awkwardly shoehorned into BP stuff and it’ll never not be cringey. Storm’s presence was confusing, are she and T’Challa dating or not? Clearly they seem to have moved on from XOS but the solicits are going out of their way to suggest they haven’t seen each other in a while and that T’Challa’s gonna put Wakanda first so the whole thing is weird. I really liked Shuri and Vibraxas in this though. Shuri felt confident but at ease with herself, I liked the mix of H2H and tech/magic, and appreciated her feeling like the de facto second in command. Honestly as much as I want M’Baku to breakout in the comics this would’ve been more interesting as a Shuri tie-in. I just like Vibraxas so seeing him was nice. Overall this one shot was just there for me. Wasn’t bad (outside the Coates **** that kinda had to be there) but wasn’t great (average lead, subpar pacing with too many characters I don’t care for in BP). Imma just reread the KIB tie-in lol.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Narcisse was friends with Coates before he got the BP gig. And he's parlayed that nepotism into a role as Marvel's go-to-guy for Panther stuff. *smh*
    Indeed. Thank goodness for the fortune that Marvel did NOT choose Narcisse to write the BP ongoing series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    spoilers:
    And having you know who be the one to say that is even worse lol. The lack of any consistency when it comes to Black Panther characters and how they get treated whenever Storm is involved is asinine and would not get tolerated if it were the other way around. This was definitely a Coates sequel, I don’t expect it to go anywhere as far as Ridley’s upcoming relaunch is concerned. Otherwise he would’ve written it himself or more would’ve been done to connect to the book outside an easy to miss reference.

But Narcissi is a Coates fan and I won’t be confident in him taking on BP unless he had a strong editor that doesn’t let him import every single idea Coates did. Because that’s basically what we got here and while this was much better than the vast majority of BP comics we’ve gotten since 2016, I didn’t like seeing so much recent continuity being mined even if technically it made sense. There’s a very good chance that if Narcisse got the book we’d get a supporting cast and exploration of some of the same themes Coates did, neither of which I want to see.

I still don’t like this version of M’Baku and this wasn’t nearly as complex or interesting a character journey for him as I hoped. He’s just another gruff, tragic warrior with next to no personality flaws or quirks. But I guess there’s only so much you can expect out of a side character. Thankfully it doesn’t seem like there are any plans for this version of the character moving forward so hopefully they just bring back the old version or find a way to kill this one off and have W’Kabi occupy his niche.

Manifold continues to be awkwardly shoehorned into BP stuff and it’ll never not be cringey. Storm’s presence was confusing, are she and T’Challa dating or not? Clearly they seem to have moved on from XOS but the solicits are going out of their way to suggest they haven’t seen each other in a while and that T’Challa’s gonna put Wakanda first so the whole thing is weird. I really liked Shuri and Vibraxas in this though. Shuri felt confident but at ease with herself, I liked the mix of H2H and tech/magic, and appreciated her feeling like the de facto second in command. Honestly as much as I want M’Baku to breakout in the comics this would’ve been more interesting as a Shuri tie-in. I just like Vibraxas so seeing him was nice. Overall this one shot was just there for me. Wasn’t bad (outside the Coates **** that kinda had to be there) but wasn’t great (average lead, subpar pacing with too many characters I don’t care for in BP). Imma just reread the KIB tie-in lol.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Agreed and co-signed to both posts.

Let's all hope that Ridley is NOT another TNC/ Coates worshipper like Evan Narcisse.

Incredible Member

Narcisse Black panther was great just because he is friends with Coates that's a Problem?

Coates is respected Just because he wrote a hit or miss BP doesn't mean he isn't respected ..
    Last edited by Dariel81; 09-15-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Well I’ll give the guy credit, he actually likes T’Challa unlike Coates and has treated T’Challa with genuine respect.
    Narcisse strikes me as someone who likes good ideas. Unlike a Roxanne Gay who I can confidently say never gave a single **** about BP prior to Coates offering her a job with Marvel, I think Narcisse is a genuine BP fan and likes T’Challa a lot. So for him he’s not gonna not use an idea or supporting character just because it comes from a project he doesn’t 100% love.

If he feels a particular element will enhance his portrayal of T’Challa he’ll include it. He clearly writes a very different version of T’Challa from Coates but he’s not opposed to using Zawavari (a character Coates brought to the forefront) when he’s a logical thing to use in a BP magic story. Plus as I’m sure some of y’all know, being friends in a professional setting comes with some back scratching here and there. Narcissus cementing Coates era concepts in his current work probably makes Coates happy and therefore a lot more willing to suggest Narcisse for different projects and opportunities. Probably makes him more willing to offer guidance and support too. It never hurts to have an influential person in your corner in a field you’re trying to grow in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dariel81 View Post
    Narcisse Black panther was great just because he is friends with Coates that's a Problem?

Coates is respected Just because he wrote a hit or miss BP doesn't mean he isn't respected ..
    Narcisse has written great T’Challa’s, this wasn’t one of them. This take on the character was just adequate lol which makes sense since he’s not the focus of the issue. I don’t expect mind blowing characterization and feats out of a side character. I think there are legitimate complaints to have about M’Baku, the constant continuity references, and some of the uses of non-BP characters though. Those are extensions of Narcisse’ friendship with Coates and his desire to include his concepts in his work. I don’t think Narcisse writes a bad BP because he’s friends with Coates. I think he writes a good BP in spite of his relationship with Coates and his work.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-15-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    That was indeed a head scratcher. I was sitting there like what does Storm bringing a metal she had nothing to do with the forging or retrieving from the White Hot Room have to do with her being a goddess, and then in the next panel she out in space with a breathing mask on. Overall it was decent but very very Coates-lite.

Edit also if they are going there, don't they need to at least show some affection from Storm side. It seems like they only have tchalla with the beloved stuff and it's eye rolling at this point.
    Last edited by jwatson; 09-15-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/