Page 296 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346396796 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The problem is sometimes the movie changes are worse or more generic, and take away the interesting ideas of the comics. Imagine how much worse Janet Van Dyne would be if synergy was stronger, for instance
    Imagine how much better Hank would be...

(Actually, where IS Janet nowadays?)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Selective synergy would help. The MCU did right by picking out stelfreezes force push for the habit as well as some of his aesthetics. The MCU Kinda picked up how Hudlin showcased Shuri as a genius in her own right, however the MCU cranked it up to 11 while taking T'Challa down from a 11 on the genius scale to a 7-8 aka he is smart but it's not so clear of he is Super genius smart like Tony, banner, and Shuri. That's an issue. Redjack did it right in panther quest. T'Challa and Shuri were geniuses on their own lanes that didn't step in any toes. Shuri focusing on the latest and greatest NOW whole T'Challa looks at the big endgame technical prowess plays on both of their strengths and gives them room to grow and develop
    They didn't show enough of T'Challa's genius in the movies tbh. But at least MCU Shuri got to show off. I agree the synergy needs to be selective. Scarlet Witch in the comics might benefit from some more synergy. Wasp or Quicksilver, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Imagine how much better Hank would be...

(Actually, where IS Janet nowadays?)
    She was in Empyre (briefly I think) and Iron Man 2020

Just to be sure, would Hank do better with synergy, or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    So the comics take aspects from the MCU that make sense (certain side characters, concepts, and bits of characterization) but nonetheless remain distinct interpretations of the characters that longtime fans identify with and will support at sustainable levels. Trying to make these characters like the MCU versions won’t help sales, it’ll probably hurt. The direct market’s preferences with a lot of these characters will be eroded as it slowly dies and gets replaced by digital stuff that is much more accessible with a wider appeal. The comics are also basically incubators for new ideas and stories that get adapted into the movies, so ensuring high levels of creative freedom means you bring out the best work from writers. Ideally there should be a balance between allowing creators (from any medium) to come up with their own ideas and incorporating certain MCU elements.
    "Sustainable levels"? Is that why sales have been trending downward (and prices upwards) for years?

As for new ideas... I assume they get fit in between the latest X-Event and Thanos' umpteenth return?

And the MCU has never adapted a comics story verbatim. At best, they take a few elements and arrange them differently, and at worst, they just borrow the trademark.

The comics aren't incubators anymore. They are more like parasites...

Ultimate Member

"Sustainable levels"? Is that why sales have been trending downward (and prices upwards) for years?

As for new ideas... I assume they get fit in between the latest X-Event and Thanos' umpteenth return?

And the MCU has never adapted a comics story verbatim. At best, they take a few elements and arrange them differently, and at worst, they just borrow the trademark.

How are they parasites? It's not like the movies are thinking up their own characters for the most part

Better. He'd be a semi-retired elder statesman of the science world with an intellect equal to folks like Stark & Richards, as opposed to a bipolar loser who is best known for creating a supervillain and hitting his wife.

(And is not only currently dead, but really most EXTEREMY dead)

Ultimate Member

Better. He'd be a semi-retired elder statesman of the science world with an intellect equal to folks like Stark & Richards, as opposed to a bipolar loser who is best known for creating a supervillain and hitting his wife.

(And is not only currently dead, but really most EXTEREMY dead)
    But he'd also be old! But otherwise I agree

I didn't see the point of making him old and fridging Janet

How are they parasites? It's not like the movies are thinking up their own characters for the most part
    Because they aren't trying to grow their audience at all, but instead trying very hard to feed off the MCU's success.

Or do you think it's a coincidence that after YEARS in limbo, Shang-Chi is suddenly getting a push?

But he'd also be old! But otherwise I agree

I didn't see the point of making him old and fridging Janet
    Didn't watch the sequel, I take it...

If that What If...? series is anything to go by Disney’s probably gonna double down on MCU synergy with the cartoons. I mean their first major animated project literally has the MCU actors and features alternate reality stories based on the movies lol. Just because Marvel has the resources and talent to make a Young Justice style animated universe doesn’t mean they will.

The question is how far can you take the synergy? Let’s say Feige throws Hemsworth a big enough bag to do Thor animated stuff, are you just gonna make it a prequel? Or do more alt reality stuff, in which case why spend all that money when you can use someone else and go completely wild? There’s pretty hefty limitations characterization/story-wise if you make all the animated stuff conform to the MCU and as Ekie said, it has not worked in past animated stuff, gaming, or even the comics to a lesser extent.

But then again I don’t think animation will ever be a priority for Marvel so maybe brief limited series and such with the MCU actors is all they feel needs to be done. Then they throw some low-quality cartoons on network TV for the really young kids. Hopefully I’m wrong and What If...? Is just a show of force for Disney to demonstrate their commitment to animation, but I get the feeling it’s gonna become just another extension of the MCU. In which case T’Challa is the biggest loser of all the major heroes since he probably won’t be relevant to the MCU going forward.
    I really hope they actually put some effort into the animation side. It's a good way to lock in the younger crowd, whole being able to pull off big feats you can't in love action due to budget,and time restraints.

Also, I read an article a week or so ago talking about how the BP franchise will most likely be good without T'Challa based on F&WS showings of the DM and I had to chuckle.

Reading it made me realize how divorced from reality people can be. The said they given the fan reception of the DM showing up, it's clear that people care about Wakanda and want to see more (true) however, what these people generally fail to realize is that small cameos in a tv series or a movie does NOT constitute enough carrying power for an entire movie. It's why when people said they should make a Domino movie, or an Okoye movie or whatever, the seem to think that their short < 5-10 showing is enough to warrant and entire movie.

Hell people to this day still say T'Challa was better on CW then in his Solo despite his cw debut he accomplished nothing through out the entire movie other then keeping Zemo alive.

Whereas he carried his movie and people were more enamoured by the scenes of Shuri, or M'Baku, or Okoye. Yeah, it's easy to make a character look badass, or memorable or whatever when they have less that 16 min of screen time. People thought the same with T'Challa on CW too. However, when they need to carry the movie, theb3 listed above fall waaaay short of the mark because their defining features are being witty or badass. You need alot more if your the main focus in a 2+ hour movie.

Ultimate Member

Because they aren't trying to grow their audience at all, but instead trying very hard to feed off the MCU's success.

Or do you think it's a coincidence that after YEARS in limbo, Shang-Chi is suddenly getting a push?
    I see what you mean, but calling them parasites is a bit much IMO

Didn't watch the sequel, I take it...
    I did. it still wasn't much of a role for the first female Avenger. Neither Wasp interacted with the Avengers much in the MCU

Astonishing Member

Sustainable is a relative term, sure sales overall aren’t looking great and we know where the market will inevitably end up, but the downfall of the industry would happen much faster if you forced Peter to be Tom Holland or the X-Men to act like the Fox versions. Sustainable might not be the word to use but as far as the direct market is concerned turning everything into MCU-lite hasn’t proven particularly effective.

I’d say the current X-Men era has been relatively experimental, we don’t get books like SWORD or the current Avengers arc if everything reflected the movies. We’re getting new ideas, some good some atrocious but the MCU is given an opportunity to see what storylines have potential and then proceed to do as they please when adapting it. That gives the comics some worth, even if they’re not what they once were in terms of profitability.

Ultimate Member

I really hope they actually put some effort into the animation side. It's a good way to lock in the younger crowd, whole being able to pull off big feats you can't in love action due to budget,and time restraints.

Also, I read an article a week or so ago talking about how the BP franchise will most likely be good without T'Challa based on F&WS showings of the DM and I had to chuckle.

Reading it made me realize how divorced from reality people can be. The said they given the fan reception of the DM showing up, it's clear that people care about Wakanda and want to see more (true) however, what these people generally fail to realize is that small cameos in a tv series or a movie does NOT constitute enough carrying power for an entire movie. It's why when people said they should make a Domino movie, or an Okoye movie or whatever, the seem to think that their short < 5-10 showing is enough to warrant and entire movie.

Hell people to this day still say T'Challa was better on CW then in his Solo despite his cw debut he accomplished nothing through out the entire movie other then keeping Zemo alive.

Whereas he carried his movie and people were more enamoured by the scenes of Shuri, or M'Baku, or Okoye. Yeah, it's easy to make a character look badass, or memorable or whatever when they have less that 16 min of screen time. People thought the same with T'Challa on CW too. However, when they need to carry the movie, theb3 listed above fall waaaay short of the mark because their defining features are being witty or badass. You need alot more if your the main focus in a 2+ hour movie.
    I agree most of these characters couldn't headline their own movie. Most of them aren't even major characters in the comics, and weren't especially notable in BP1, aside from Shuri and Okoye, at least IMHO

i think some people liked T'Challa more in CW because he stood out so well in CW despite being a supporting hero among a whole bunch of them, while in BP1 the supporting characters somewhat distract from his heroic journey

There's a commonly-held fallacy that social media buzz somehow translates into actual sales. (And, conversely, that negative reactions suppress sales).

Neither have been shown to be true.

Ultimate Member

Sustainable is a relative term, sure sales overall aren’t looking great and we know where the market will inevitably end up, but the downfall of the industry would happen much faster if you forced Peter to be Tom Holland or the X-Men to act like the Fox versions. Sustainable might not be the word to use but as far as the direct market is concerned turning everything into MCU-lite hasn’t proven particularly effective.

I’d say the current X-Men era has been relatively experimental, we don’t get books like SWORD or the current Avengers arc if everything reflected the movies. We’re getting new ideas, some good some atrocious but the MCU is given an opportunity to see what storylines have potential and then proceed to do as they please when adapting it. That gives the comics some worth, even if they’re not what they once were in terms of profitability.
    Exactly. Of course the comics would try to profit from the popularity of the MCU. People have criticized the comics for not promoting synergy

They didn't show enough of T'Challa's genius in the movies tbh. But at least MCU Shuri got to show off. I agree the synergy needs to be selective. Scarlet Witch in the comics might benefit from some more synergy. Wasp or Quicksilver, not so much

She was in Empyre (briefly I think) and Iron Man 2020

Eh I would of rather seen T'Challa flexing his genius mind then it being vaguely hinted at and unclear kn his scale of genius while it's clear that Shuri is a super genius. To the point that people start making ridiculous claims. Aamhain, there should of been zero issue with showing both as tech geniuses, it would of been so easy to do without requiring T'Challa in the lab either. Just have it clearly defined that he created things other Thane just his Cw habit. Showcase he created the emp beads that Shuri upgraded, showcase some of the stuff she was showing off in her lab were based of the design schematics that T'Challa sent to her. Have them crack a joke about how the vibranium sand tables he created are still the most useful tech around and doesn't require upgrades.

There are literally a endless amount of ways both could of been established as super geniuses and still gave Shuri the role she had in the movie. All the stuff I listed above would of only required the dialogue said.