Page 3 of 513 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 7683
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member Redjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lost Angles
    Posts
    2,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    If I remember correctly Redjack didnt get it because the editors didnt share his views in where wakanda would go.
    Axel heard one detailed pitch (the one on my site) and one sentence about the second pitch.

    Nobody knows the second pitch. If I can't get it done as a BLACK PANTHER story, i'll figure a way to do it as ain indie book or a novel.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    But...its 2021...Im gonna be optomistic about it and hope that means Priest or Hickman got it
    I wouldn't hold your breath on Priest. Not only has he gone on record as not having a desire to return to the character, but he's also actively avoided writing African-American heroes.

    As for Hickman... no thanks. My issues with him are well documented.

    Of all the current crop, the only writer I might give a look at is Al Ewing, and that's solely on the strength of his USAvengers run, as his Sunspot shows me that he could write T'Challa the chessmaster. But if he wanted to write BP the way he wrote him in Ultimates... nahhh...

  3. #33
    Ultimate Life Form BlackClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Space Colony ARK
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on Priest. Not only has he gone on record as not having a desire to return to the character, but he's also actively avoided writing African-American heroes.

    As for Hickman... no thanks. My issues with him are well documented.

    Of all the current crop, the only writer I might give a look at is Al Ewing, and that's solely on the strength of his USAvengers run, as his Sunspot shows me that he could write T'Challa the chessmaster. But if he wanted to write BP the way he wrote him in Ultimates... nahhh...
    Best to hope Evan Narcisse will finally get his chance at writing an on going. He was probably the only good part of the Coates era.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Best to hope Evan Narcisse will finally get his chance at writing an on going. He was probably the only good part of the Coates era.
    Evan wrote a really good Wikipedia page, but in terms of actual narrative, I found his writing pretty weak. I'm still not sure what the hell Namor & Doom were doing in the mini, other than servicing fans.

  5. #35
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    12,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on Priest. Not only has he gone on record as not having a desire to return to the character, but he's also actively avoided writing African-American heroes.

    As for Hickman... no thanks. My issues with him are well documented.

    Of all the current crop, the only writer I might give a look at is Al Ewing, and that's solely on the strength of his USAvengers run, as his Sunspot shows me that he could write T'Challa the chessmaster. But if he wanted to write BP the way he wrote him in Ultimates... nahhh...
    Yeah, I think Al Ewing would be fine. His issue in Ultimates was trying too hard to make Chavez a badass. I think they could give it to Zeb Wells since he was already writing Agents of Wakanda.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Marvel either course corrects and brings in a writer that goes a more conventional route or they double down on the principles of the Coates run. I think because Marvel doesn't care about the character, not truly, they'll have one of Coates' friends write the solo. Several writers wrote miniseries that tied into the overarching story and themes of the Coates run and I wouldn't put it past editors to have one of them take the reins. Some of them (like WOW) got rave reviews and it definitely fits with the overall goal of Marvel to push "Wakanda" as opposed to T'Challa.

    But the complete and utter commercial failure of this most recent relaunch is a good indicator that readers on the direct market don't care for this "woke", T'Challa-bashing storytelling where he's a side character in his own book. Coates said that longtime fans would have a hard time getting on board with his take and I believe it's patently clear most BP fans don't want more of what we've been getting since 2016. That might force Marvel to do what they finally did with Captain Marvel after she had failed solo after failed solo by shit writer.

    Bring in someone experienced and respectful of the character and recentering the franchise on a strong lead with nuance. Someone who will cut down the supporting cast and systematically fill out aspects of the mythos that need filling out (love interest, civilian relationships, their place in the wider MU, etc.) Redjack would've taken us in that direction so it's unfortunate he didn't get the gig but I'm holding out hope a Zeb Wells, David Walker, Saldin Ahmed, or Evan Narcisse gets the book and does it justice.

  7. #37
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,218

    Default

    Here's my Hope/prediction (hopefully I can pull some 2018 Dr Strange level prediction powers again like I called how successful the BP solo drop would be) given what little we know, I think Marvel is going to move away from Coates era. Despite all the try hard rave reviews of the internet, they can't deny that they were pulling every trick they could to keep the book going with arbitrary increases in numbers. From addon multiple variants on random issues, to two different renumberings within a 6~ month time frame and those numbers dropped fast and hard.

    Those hooting and hollering raves reviews were just that, lip service, and the sustainability of the actual fan base isn't there so I think they are not going to hire any of Coates people because they do not generate sustainability. We have seen in in the spin offs. Also given the fact that covid hit and BP has been delayed for almost a year before it comes back also tells me they don't have confidence in the direction Coates went. They will hire an actual comic book writer and course correct. Dunno if it will be an ongoing or mini/maxi series but they will re center T'Challa.

    Next I'm going to predict that RJ is going to crush things at DC so hard that it's going to get Marvels attention again, and come late 2021 or 2022 I think of T'Challa doesn't have a solid ongoing by then that he will be poking in here again dropping hints and teases of straight fire.

    That's what im predicting/ hoping this year

  8. #38
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath on Priest. Not only has he gone on record as not having a desire to return to the character, but he's also actively avoided writing African-American heroes.

    As for Hickman... no thanks. My issues with him are well documented.

    Of all the current crop, the only writer I might give a look at is Al Ewing, and that's solely on the strength of his USAvengers run, as his Sunspot shows me that he could write T'Challa the chessmaster. But if he wanted to write BP the way he wrote him in Ultimates... nahhh...
    I didn't think his BP in ultimates was bad... I just think he was trying to hard to make Chevaz this badass Priest lite T'Challa but she utterly lacked any personality to make her Interesting but wanted to use her as this character that could shut the team down if needed. She couldn't and it was a wasted effort and Ewing was all over the place without clear direction o. Where he was wanting to go.

    Just like how he got distracted and alot of the stuff he said he was going to do in interviews (T'Challa and Carol co leading, T'Challa and BM having some heated interactions, and BM and Monica going all out) and started making Galactus a main character and making his own team and building the cosmic up instead of arguably the most powerful superhero team at the time.

    But T'Challa himself I felt wasn't written poorly. He just lacked anybody Interesting on the team to play off of
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 01-02-2021 at 10:00 AM.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Here's my Hope/prediction (hopefully I can pull some 2018 Dr Strange level prediction powers again like I called how successful the BP solo drop would be) given what little we know, I think Marvel is going to move away from Coates era. Despite all the try hard rave reviews of the internet, they can't deny that they were pulling every trick they could to keep the book going with arbitrary increases in numbers. From addon multiple variants on random issues, to two different renumberings within a 6~ month time frame and those numbers dropped fast and hard.

    Those hooting and hollering raves reviews were just that, lip service, and the sustainability of the actual fan base isn't there so I think they are not going to hire any of Coates people because they do not generate sustainability. We have seen in in the spin offs. Also given the fact that covid hit and BP has been delayed for almost a year before it comes back also tells me they don't have confidence in the direction Coates went. They will hire an actual comic book writer and course correct. Dunno if it will be an ongoing or mini/maxi series but they will re center T'Challa.

    Next I'm going to predict that RJ is going to crush things at DC so hard that it's going to get Marvels attention again, and come late 2021 or 2022 I think of T'Challa doesn't have a solid ongoing by then that he will be poking in here again dropping hints and teases of straight fire.

    That's what im predicting/ hoping this year
    True, there's obvious financial evidence that fans don't support what Coates is doing with BP. That's a fact. Whether Marvel takes that to be an indictment on his overall direction or not is the question. Editors might say "it's the pacing that resulted in low sales, not the lack of focus on T'Challa" and get a writer who has similar ideas but just moves the plot along faster.

    We'll see, but Redjack not getting the gig might be a hint they want more of the same. Though I do hope that Redjack hits it out of the park with Green Lantern and other DC related projects so Marvel can see what they're missing out on. I truthfully think he has all the makings of being the next big comic creator, and I'm happy he's finally getting the chance to shine on a major title.

  10. #40
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    12,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Here's my Hope/prediction (hopefully I can pull some 2018 Dr Strange level prediction powers again like I called how successful the BP solo drop would be) given what little we know, I think Marvel is going to move away from Coates era. Despite all the try hard rave reviews of the internet, they can't deny that they were pulling every trick they could to keep the book going with arbitrary increases in numbers. From addon multiple variants on random issues, to two different renumberings within a 6~ month time frame and those numbers dropped fast and hard.

    Those hooting and hollering raves reviews were just that, lip service, and the sustainability of the actual fan base isn't there so I think they are not going to hire any of Coates people because they do not generate sustainability. We have seen in in the spin offs. Also given the fact that covid hit and BP has been delayed for almost a year before it comes back also tells me they don't have confidence in the direction Coates went. They will hire an actual comic book writer and course correct. Dunno if it will be an ongoing or mini/maxi series but they will re center T'Challa.

    Next I'm going to predict that RJ is going to crush things at DC so hard that it's going to get Marvels attention again, and come late 2021 or 2022 I think of T'Challa doesn't have a solid ongoing by then that he will be poking in here again dropping hints and teases of straight fire.

    That's what im predicting/ hoping this year
    Yeah, most writers don't follow up the last writer's run with more of the same. They usually want to do something different to distinguish their work.

    I don't see Marvel doing a repeat of Coates' run especially.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, I think Al Ewing would be fine. His issue in Ultimates was trying too hard to make Chavez a badass. I think they could give it to Zeb Wells since he was already writing Agents of Wakanda.
    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    …started making Galactus a main character and making his own team and building the cosmic up instead of arguably the most powerful superhero team at the time
    And that was my problem. I couldn't shake the feeling that he REALLY wanted to be writing a cosmic book, and used Ultimates as a back-door way to get one. Just like how Agents was pitched as an espionage book but turned into "C-list heroes hunting monsters".

    I want a Black Panther writer who wants to write T'Challa, not use his book as a way to re-invent or redeem other characters.

  12. #42
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    True, there's obvious financial evidence that fans don't support what Coates is doing with BP. That's a fact. Whether Marvel takes that to be an indictment on his overall direction or not is the question. Editors might say "it's the pacing that resulted in low sales, not the lack of focus on T'Challa" and get a writer who has similar ideas but just moves the plot along faster.

    We'll see, but Redjack not getting the gig might be a hint they want more of the same. Though I do hope that Redjack hits it out of the park with Green Lantern and other DC related projects so Marvel can see what they're missing out on. I truthfully think he has all the makings of being the next big comic creator, and I'm happy he's finally getting the chance to shine on a major title.
    I don't just because none of the stories except Rise and
    BP vs deadpool had any level of success. Any spin off that didn't focus on T'Challa or tried to use him as a vehicle for other characters failed miserably. Rave reviews mean nothing when your numbers don't lie and they make it clear T'Challa is the drive and T'Challa being shown as capable sells.

    I still hold hope for RJ and I think he will get his shot at the right time and maybe DC success will show Marvel they need him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, most writers don't follow up the last writer's run with more of the same. They usually want to do something different to distinguish their work.

    I don't see Marvel doing a repeat of Coates' run especially.
    This is another Good point. Writer's like to do different takes with T'Challa after each writer and I doubt the next person wants to do more of Coates. Especially because I feel people gave Coates alot of grace Because of his popularity for his work outside of comics that they didn't want to be overly critical. Something a lesser "known" person wouldn't be privy to

  13. #43
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    See below.



    And that was my problem. I couldn't shake the feeling that he REALLY wanted to be writing a cosmic book, and used Ultimates as a back-door way to get one. Just like how Agents was pitched as an espionage book but turned into "C-list heroes hunting monsters".

    I want a Black Panther writer who wants to write T'Challa, not use his book as a way to re-invent or redeem other characters.
    I agree. But for his actual take of T'Challa, like Zub, I thought it was fine. Compare those two to Coates BP and the Crew, where you can see the obvious disdain for the character and a blatant misuse of him and using his name to promote others while completely ishtting on him and you can tell the difference in respect and professionalism

  14. #44
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

    But the complete and utter commercial failure of this most recent relaunch is a good indicator that readers on the direct market don't care for this "woke", T'Challa-bashing storytelling where he's a side character in his own book. Coates said that longtime fans would have a hard time getting on board with his take and I believe it's patently clear most BP fans don't want more of what we've been getting since 2016. That might force Marvel to do what they finally did with Captain Marvel after she had failed solo after failed solo by shit writer.
    Marvel is not only looking at the direct market-who has been OPENLY hostile to every non white straight male lead book. They are looking at trades too.
    Sadly this is the version of Panther many saw for the first time and still try out those trades.
    Because most folks have seen this type of writing on too many black tv shows and movies. So to them this is normal for a black lead male book.

    Editors might say "it's the pacing that resulted in low sales, not the lack of focus on T'Challa" and get a writer who has similar ideas but just moves the plot along faster.
    That would be an editor not paying attention. If I see Black Panther vol 1 up in the top 100 of trade sales everywhere (which it is) and I DON'T see vol 2-6 nowhere in the say top 300 (with last new on at least sniffing top 150) something is not right. Folks are NOT coming back.

    Same issue I see with Hickman's X-Men, Coates Cap America and Green Lantern season 2-folks are not coming back.

    I can excuse that with Miles or Ms Marvel because their books are not doing some long 18 part saga.

  15. #45
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    12,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    See below.



    And that was my problem. I couldn't shake the feeling that he REALLY wanted to be writing a cosmic book, and used Ultimates as a back-door way to get one. Just like how Agents was pitched as an espionage book but turned into "C-list heroes hunting monsters".

    I want a Black Panther writer who wants to write T'Challa, not use his book as a way to re-invent or redeem other characters.
    Sure, those were team books.

    But in a solo, I'd expect T'Challa to get the shine. And even in a Panther solo book the supporting cast will be C and D list characters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •