Page 330 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 230280320326327328329330331332333334340380430830 ... LastLast
Results 4,936 to 4,950 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So basically those movies didn't get good showings because they didn't have big stars?

Idk what DC is doing with Cyborg tbh. The Snyder Cut boosted his popularity but idk if WB will capitalize on it
    They most likely won’t, mainly due to Ray Fisher showing constant venom towards them because Joss Whedon was on a power trip. That and WB has a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    They most likely won’t, mainly due to Ray Fisher showing constant venom towards them because Joss Whedon was on a power trip. That and WB has a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    I don't know exactly what's going on there, but after everything that's come out about Whedon and WB, I wouldn't necessarily fault Fisher for not getting along with them.

But it's unfortunate Cyborg is getting caught up in all this. And WB still doesn't seem to quite have its footing yet

Suicide Squad wasn't great or maybe not even good

It still made 746 million dollars (man of steel made 668 for reference)

also domestically, it made just under what Aquman and BvS made (335m vs 330m vs 325m)

oh and Bird of Prey, the sequel, only made 200 millin. total. And maybe that got affected by the pandemic on the back end a bit, it only made 80 somethign domestically

So yeah... big movie stars aren't waht they used to be but I would imagine Will Smith at least had a little to do with thatt. Dude still has a name among the older generation.

and yeah... ummmm errrr I have no way to tie this back to black panther lololol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Suicide Squad wasn't great or maybe not even good

It still made 746 million dollars (man of steel made 668 for reference)

also domestically, it made just under what Aquman and BvS made (335m vs 330m vs 325m)

oh and Bird of Prey, the sequel, only made 200 millin. total. And maybe that got affected by the pandemic on the back end a bit, it only made 80 somethign domestically

So yeah... big movie stars aren't waht they used to be but I would imagine Will Smith at least had a little to do with thatt. Dude still has a name among the older generation.

On the other hand, was BP successful due to its star power, or its story?

It could be both. It had a mix of big name stars like Chadwick Boseman, Lupita Nyongo, and Angela Bassett along with relatively fresh talent like Letitia Wright.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I actually am going to re-read it, to see if it is as bad as it seemed in real time (aka slow motion lol).

But... I'm not doing that until the final issue is actually out, because I don't want to sit around and wait months to finish it.
    Good point. Don't want to read it and then have them delay it again.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    It could be both. It had a mix of big name stars like Chadwick Boseman, Lupita Nyongo, and Angela Bassett along with relatively fresh talent like Letitia Wright.
    That's true. It was probably many factors, plus the general Marvel hype.

It was successful because it was a Marvel character. Not only that but I Marvel character who is naturally a black IP that brings with him the black Excellence of wakanda. I'm not a believer that any of the Stars had anything to do with its record breaking reception outside of their performance. Angela basset isnt a billion dollar draw. None of them were and theres nothing wrong with saying this character ip floated everyone's boat.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    It was successful because it was a Marvel character. Not only that but I Marvel character who is naturally a black IP that brings with him the black Excellence of wakanda. I'm not a believer that any of the Stars had anything to do with its record breaking reception outside of their performance. Angela basset isnt a billion dollar draw. None of them were and theres nothing wrong with saying this character ip floated everyone's boat.
    Ok. Honestly I didn't watch it for the star power. I mostly came to see Black Panther. And Klaw because he was funny in AoU. Frankly I think IP is becoming bigger than star power

Ultimate Member

I'd say both.

Suicide Squad made plenty of money, but there was plenty of dissatisfaction with the plot. Panther, not so much

Compared to other comic book movie, Marvel excels at finding actors for the characters that actually compliment the characters, instead of playing their usual stuff. Or if they play their usual self, it compliments the character (Stark, looking at you.)

Ultimate Member

There were some star power in Panther.

Especially folks like Forest and Bassett-who have awards and been in well respected movies.
    Bassett and Sterling Brown had tv shows at the time. Jordan was having some buzz as well.
    It had a cast that was very fan friendly (outside of the Gators and bitter Fantastic Four fans).
    Same with Mackie as Falcon and Moana as Aquaman-not big names but guys with a resume that folks knew who they were.

So basically those movies didn't get good showings because they didn't have big stars?
    It depends on who is in the cast and what else was slated to show at that time.
    If you had to choose between Avatar 2 or Dear White People-who would win?
    A Tyler Perry movie or Dear White People?
    Static (with dream casting Caleb from Stranger Things) or Dear White People?
    A film with Glenn Close, Regina King, Viola Davis & Melissa McCarthy or Dear White People movie?

Dear White People don't stand a chance.
    Now a limited run at those theaters where you have RESERVE seats and prices start at $20 like DWP was here in my city. Is possible.

I mean this is why you see so many question marks when movies got nominated that most folks have NEVER heard or seen.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Rewatching Redbelt on PlutoTV. Totally forgot I wanted Chiwetel Ejiofor as T'Challa years ago because of it. Worried Marvel picked Boseman cause he was more athletic and younger (was shocked at the time to eventually learn Chad was older) . Turned out to be wrong cause he was obviously fantastic.

Shame Chiwetel is being wasted as Mordo. If they were recasting Chiwetel is about the only one who could probably bring that level of regalness to the role.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Also that was when we started hearing about WHO was trying to prevent the movie from being made.

Along with the gators and trolls that targeted it with review bombing and bashing-along with their minority shields-who threw out "Yall wouldn't do that for a black OWN and CREATED character."

And what was stopping Tyler Perry, Lebron and the rest of fake woke nation from taking Static or Concrete Park or all the other black heroes and doing a movie?

OH that's right they don't want to do the WORK or take the RISK.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'd say both.

Suicide Squad made plenty of money, but there was plenty of dissatisfaction with the plot. Panther, not so much

Compared to other comic book movie, Marvel excels at finding actors for the characters that actually compliment the characters, instead of playing their usual stuff. Or if they play their usual self, it compliments the character (Stark, looking at you.)
    Yeah, the MCU casting is pretty much on point. Although i think DCEU casting isn't bad either

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There were some star power in Panther.

Especially folks like Forest and Bassett-who have awards and been in well respected movies.
    Bassett and Sterling Brown had tv shows at the time. Jordan was having some buzz as well.
    It had a cast that was very fan friendly (outside of the Gators and bitter Fantastic Four fans).
    Same with Mackie as Falcon and Moana as Aquaman-not big names but guys with a resume that folks knew who they were.

It depends on who is in the cast and what else was slated to show at that time.
    If you had to choose between Avatar 2 or Dear White People-who would win?
    A Tyler Perry movie or Dear White People?
    Static (with dream casting Caleb from Stranger Things) or Dear White People?
    A film with Glenn Close, Regina King, Viola Davis & Melissa McCarthy or Dear White People movie?

Dear White People don't stand a chance.
    Now a limited run at those theaters where you have RESERVE seats and prices start at $20 like DWP was here in my city. Is possible.

I mean this is why you see so many question marks when movies got nominated that most folks have NEVER heard or seen.
    I guess that's why Oscars support those movies. Big movies don't really need the extra support

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Are yall forgetting #BlackPantherSoLit