Page 526 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 26426476516522523524525526527528529530536576626 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,890 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There is nothing stopping this from happening. Dc does not own Milestone just have publishing rights. But then again this is DISNEY we are talking about.

There was a reason Lois & Clark New Adventures of Superman did not get season 5 and it costed ABC The Rosie O'Donnell show.

Along with Stevie not having a mother on Malcolm in the Middle and the Practice/Ally McBeal crossover was not hyped by ABC.

Maybe that name is a curse-Coates version got axed at issue 2.

This is what killed New 52 Static's book. Antics like that. Also the most recent projects he did was US Agent & Sacred Six. Vampi is still going on. Wonder is he talking about those 2 books.

This interview must have happened before Daniel Cherry was hired at DC.
    Yeah this interview is early as he talks about BP and Chadwick and how he thinks he will handle being T'Challa. This is definitely before the movie. Possibly before his Slade book too

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, so what?

Priest is old school. He'd tread lightly about any and all writers, because that's just what you do.

And Coates is an intellectual powerhouse outside of comics. If his comics were half as good as his other writings, we'd all happily declare him 'The New Priest'.

It's just that in this narrow field, he sucks
    Priest doesn't strike me as the type of person "tread lightly". He's pretty outspoken about what or who he likes and doesn't like.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Priest doesn't strike me as the type of person "tread lightly". He's pretty outspoken about what or who he likes and doesn't like.
    He's outspoken against corporations/company stuff, certainly. But I don't see him attacking fellow writers...who aren't Jim Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Just thought I'd follow up with the second half and say that pretty much describes the rest of this Avengers of the New World story.

First off, it's incredibly complicated. It reads better all at once because it's easier to remember the pieces but I think I would have to read it a third time to be sure. The strengths remain the strengths and the weaknesses remain the weaknesses. I like the connections to both Black Panther history and Marvel history. But Storm isn't given enough build up to sell the ending even if you were OK with the Adversary coming out of left field. There's the set up of Wakanda's faith powering Storm, but it barely has any impact initially to justify the solution. And the solution is ridiculously quick. The Adversary is one of the most powerful villains in all of Marvel and the solution is barely a couple pages.

Part of me wonders if the addition of Klaw was an editorial decision. Having two unrelated villains didn't add anything but it did make it generally confusing. It sort of works, but it felt like a distraction from the development we needed to appreciate everything else. Also, Coates gave Klaw an entire backstory that was brand new for this one story and I'm skeptical anyone will follow up on it. I'm not sure we need a sympathetic lobotomized sister, he's a cool enough character on his own. It also was extremely unclear if they needed Ayo's life to give the sister life or why Queen Divine Justice had to be the one brainwashed into pretending to be a cult leader.
    I've read it a few time and still don't fully understand the relationship or point of Klaw/QDJ/Cult Leader/Adversary.

The run would have been a lot better if that cult leader was just a new villian who could open portals and such. Or hell, if Tetu had those powers instead.

I would say Editorial forced him into Klaw, but at the same time... Faustus and Co were in the book early. They had to be listening to someone. Those dudes aren't big bad types, they are henchmen.

But it is obvious Okoye was forced in. It seems the MA/Doras folding back in so easily seems forced in, with the Wakanda salute to boot.

The arc just got weird. It started off repetitive (go to portal, stop portal, oh no bad stuff) and then got convoluted quickly

The other thing that I think is interesting is there's a clear effort to appeal to fans of the character who thought he was too passive and too ineffective in the first half of the first arc. T'Challa gets credit for masterminding everything, but he doesn't really do anything. That's certainly a very big criticism in addition to the complexity and rushed ending. As a Wakandan team book, it sort of works, but it just needs more.
    Yeah, that was the common criticism that doesn't change later either.

Coates sees "being king" as sitting in a chair telling others to do stuff. Which, in real life... yes, that is exactly what leaders do these days. But it is comic books and he never seemed to "get" that part of it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, so what?

Priest is old school. He'd tread lightly about any and all writers, because that's just what you do.

And Coates is an intellectual powerhouse outside of comics. If his comics were half as good as his other writings, we'd all happily declare him 'The New Priest'.

It's just that in this narrow field, he sucks
    There's also no reason to assume he's just being polite. I agree with Agent Z that Priest typically doesn't pull punches and has gotten in trouble for it before.

I've argued before that Priest's Wakanda was a messy place full of contradictions and even some corruption. I don't think Coates' Wakanda is far removed from that.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

There's also no reason to assume he's just being polite. I agree with Agent Z that Priest typically doesn't pull punches and has gotten in trouble for it before.

I've argued before that Priest's Wakanda was a messy place full of contradictions and even some corruption. I don't think Coates' Wakanda is far removed from that.
    I think it's worth remembering that Priest Wakanda is still it's original form in that 90% of the population was living a tribal life until Tchaka and Tchalla started bringing in big tech. So his messiness was a clash of old vs new. Coates has the Hudlin continuity in which they were already advanced an developed close to an utopian society. That didn't sit well with Coates. LOl

Just thought I'd follow up with the second half and say that pretty much describes the rest of this Avengers of the New World story.

First off, it's incredibly complicated. It reads better all at once because it's easier to remember the pieces but I think I would have to read it a third time to be sure. The strengths remain the strengths and the weaknesses remain the weaknesses. I like the connections to both Black Panther history and Marvel history. But Storm isn't given enough build up to sell the ending even if you were OK with the Adversary coming out of left field. There's the set up of Wakanda's faith powering Storm, but it barely has any impact initially to justify the solution. And the solution is ridiculously quick. The Adversary is one of the most powerful villains in all of Marvel and the solution is barely a couple pages.

Part of me wonders if the addition of Klaw was an editorial decision. Having two unrelated villains didn't add anything but it did make it generally confusing. It sort of works, but it felt like a distraction from the development we needed to appreciate everything else. Also, Coates gave Klaw an entire backstory that was brand new for this one story and I'm skeptical anyone will follow up on it. I'm not sure we need a sympathetic lobotomized sister, he's a cool enough character on his own. It also was extremely unclear if they needed Ayo's life to give the sister life or why Queen Divine Justice had to be the one brainwashed into pretending to be a cult leader.

On the other hand, adding Klaw and Co. gave some needed action. I think #169 is a very clever issue and the action there is genuinely well done. I'd probably put that on the top of the list of all the issues he's done. Insert joke about his best issue not having any of his dialogue here.

The other thing that I think is interesting is there's a clear effort to appeal to fans of the character who thought he was too passive and too ineffective in the first half of the first arc. On the other hand, we're essentially just told that he's effective. Most of his effectiveness comes from delegating to others. Shuri is really, really cool in that final battle. I know the movie pushed her in a different direction, but I actually really liked her using her abilities. Of course, the day was saved by Storm. T'Challa gets credit for masterminding everything, but he doesn't really do anything. That's certainly a very big criticism in addition to the complexity and rushed ending. As a Wakandan team book, it sort of works, but it just needs more.

Next up is the Black Panther Annual followed by the car commercial story. Then I get to do things like Rise of the Black Panther and Killmonger. I probably won't get to the Intergalactic Empire story until the second week of July.

Well said and I agree with this critique. Coates had good ideas but his execution did fall short at some points, which lead to some anti-climactic moments.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I think a problem is that, whole Coates had good ideas and concepts, he needed a veteran writer to help him craft the story I. A coherent manner. Coates spun his tires hard, he put too much focus on nonsense and trying to ask .ore questions when he only had 2 issues at most to resolve it, Which ended up forcing the final battle to be rushed and unearned.

He tried to do this big huge world building project instead of starting small and working up to it and in the end, 95% of the stuff introduced will be ignored

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think a problem is that, whole Coates had good ideas and concepts, he needed a veteran writer to help him craft the story I. A coherent manner. Coates spun his tires hard, he put too much focus on nonsense and trying to ask .ore questions when he only had 2 issues at most to resolve it, Which ended up forcing the final battle to be rushed and unearned.

He tried to do this big huge world building project instead of starting small and working up to it and in the end, 95% of the stuff introduced will be ignored
    Maybe he needed some kind of overseer. I know editorial interference is often problematic but maybe some other more experienced writer could've overseen him

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe he needed some kind of overseer. I know editorial interference is often problematic but maybe some other more experienced writer could've overseen him
    Given the context of the last two arcs, 'overseer' might not be the proper word to use. Lol.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

On the other hand, adding Klaw and Co. gave some needed action. I think #169 is a very clever issue and the action there is genuinely well done. I'd probably put that on the top of the list of all the issues he's done. Insert joke about his best issue not having any of his dialogue here.

The other thing that I think is interesting is there's a clear effort to appeal to fans of the character who thought he was too passive and too ineffective in the first half of the first arc. On the other hand, we're essentially just told that he's effective. Most of his effectiveness comes from delegating to others. Shuri is really, really cool in that final battle. I know the movie pushed her in a different direction, but I actually really liked her using her abilities. Of course, the day was saved by Storm. T'Challa gets credit for masterminding everything, but he doesn't really do anything. That's certainly a very big criticism in addition to the complexity and rushed ending. As a Wakandan team book, it sort of works, but it just needs more.

Next up is the Black Panther Annual followed by the car commercial story. Then I get to do things like Rise of the Black Panther and Killmonger. I probably won't get to the Intergalactic Empire story until the second week of July.

Coates depiction of adversary's defeat didn't resolve over a couple of pages. His tricks, deceit, and manipulations were one tchalla had been trying to address as early as issue 13 (could have been earlier than that even) of the 2016 run. When adversary finally reveals himself after doing what I'm sure he thought was irreparable damage to wakanda, tchalla revealed his ace in the hole. The battle and how it ultimately ends in black panther is virtually a mirror image of the battle the xmen had many years ago against adversary in the pages of uncanny 227 when forge used spiritual magic to seal him away before his attempt to destroy earth. it was a beautiful homage to claremonts issue and it shed light on why adversary was so frightened of storm so many years ago during their initial encounter. so i wholeheartedly disagree with the point being made here. Coates certainly did his homework.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 06-26-2021 at 12:24 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Given the context of the last two arcs, 'overseer' might not be the proper word to use. Lol.
    Oh, yes, well, maybe another term then

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Oh, yes, well, maybe another term then
    Experienced mentor? Talented co-writer? Obvious non-hack?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Experienced mentor? Talented co-writer? Obvious non-hack?
    First 2 more than the last haha

Mighty Member

TNCs/Coates Wakanda was painfully worse.... His rape camps and no one man nonsense.