Page 527 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 27427477517523524525526527528529530531537577627 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,905 of 15079
    Ultimate Member

I don't think the no one man stuff was bad in theory. The rape camps I could do without

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think the no one man stuff was bad in theory. The rape camps I could do without
    It was bad because at no point did he explain why the current system was a problem. And Aneka was sentenced by a judge. And Ayo petitioned Ramonda for a pardon. Which means there was never 'one man' doing it all to begin with.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    It was bad because at no point did he explain why the current system was a problem. And Aneka was sentenced by a judge. And Ayo petitioned Ramonda for a pardon. Which means there was never 'one man' doing it all to begin with.
    Wasn't the problem the Wakandas were unhappy he wasn't around enough to protect Wakanda because he was with the Avengers?

Tbf, I don't think Wakanda is poorly run, but I also don't think it's a bad idea if people in Wakanda question how things are done, especially after a massive catastrophe.

Wasn't the problem the Wakandas were unhappy he wasn't around enough to protect Wakanda because he was with the Avengers?

Tbf, I don't think Wakanda is poorly run, but I also don't think it's a bad idea if people in Wakanda question how things are done, especially after a massive catastrophe.
    Nope, the closest we saw was protests in the streets with signs, but they never said what they were angry about or wanted changed. In World of W there was that one guy who somehow knew Tchalla was working with Namor, but Tchalla wasnt in charge then anyway. In fact, he wasnt in charge during the big three events. Adding a government with more people wouldn't have changed anything.

Ultimate Member

Nope, the closest we saw was protests in the streets with signs, but they never said what they were angry about or wanted changed. In World of W there was that one guy who somehow knew Tchalla was working with Namor, but Tchalla wasnt in charge then anyway. In fact, he wasnt in charge during the big three events. Adding a government with more people wouldn't have changed anything.
    Yeah, that's what I meant by good in theory. Because the execution was poor

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

The weight of responsibility placed on T’Challa, Ayo, and Aneka to live up to the high standard of the nation they’re fighting for is ever present throughout the series. Coates explores the nature and power of faith, and the responsibility thrust upon leaders when others put their faith and trust in them. T’Challa, specifically, wrestles with this, in that he never had much choice in all the power and responsibility that came with being king. He carried that responsibility as a burden for so long, but comes to understand what an honor it actually is to hold the faith and trust of his people.
    https://miro.medium.com/max/500/1*XX...WkzS7oBtw.jpeg
    With Black Panther, Coates demystifies T’Challa as Wakanda’s infallible king and protector while deconstructing the flaws of what’s meant to be the most advanced society in the world. Until now, T’Challa has been portrayed as an ideal, but Coates explores what happens when he fails, and the effect that has on his nation. By drawing out conflict in this way, he develops and enriches the world of Wakanda and the people that live in it. They all believe Wakanda is an exceptional place, and the story Coates is telling challenges T’Challa and these characters to consider what that truly means.
    https://medium.com/@paul.a.lister1/t...r-226db8206e1b
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 06-26-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Experienced mentor? Talented co-writer? Obvious non-hack?

Digi don't play games

Ah yes, love that first quote you posted. It shows just how little Coates and the writer of said article knows about T'Challa

Whoever wrote these never read a Black Panther comic in their life. Lol

Lmfao this guy must never have read BP until Coates

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'd think the problem was that while one could reasonably argue in theory and on principle that "no one man" should have so much power and responsibility vested in him alone to guide and govern an entire nation, especially one as technologically advanced and borderline utopian as Wakanda, the way that argument was made resulted in horribly uncharacteristic behavior and actions (if not inaction, at some points) on the part of T'Challa and company within the story itself. I mean, it's one thing to say that someone in T'Challa's position and with his level of power and status would inevitably abuse it if such a thing or person were real, but it's another to impugn the character of T'Challa himself in the process of making that point.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    TNCs/Coates Wakanda was painfully worse.... His rape camps and no one man nonsense.
    So I commented recently on the rape camps again as part of my re-read through. I pointed out that there's a lot of ambiguity there. The second example is explicitly an issue caused by the collapse of society on the fringes following the Black Order invasion. The first one is less clear, but there's no indication it was anything other than one person or that the one person couldn't have been punished through the law. Now that I've read World of Wakanda, it's possible to add that contribution. I have no idea if Roxane Gay genuinely consulted with Ta-Nehisi Coates so I don't think one should use that book to retroactively read what Coates wrote, but I do think Gay's work is essentially the current version of the story. So, retcon or not, it's very clear that not only was it one politically important person but that no one in the capital knew about it. Furthermore, the decision to execute him was done unilaterally and that's why she was punished.

I think it's worth remembering that Priest Wakanda is still it's original form in that 90% of the population was living a tribal life until Tchaka and Tchalla started bringing in big tech. So his messiness was a clash of old vs new. Coates has the Hudlin continuity in which they were already advanced an developed close to an utopian society. That didn't sit well with Coates. LOl
    I would agree with that. But I would also say that writers should ideally attempt to reconcile both of those concepts because they're both part of the Marvel continuity.

Speaking of the differing versions, I re-read the Annual. I commented on it previously so I don't know what more there is to say. I like the differing takes. Priest definitely had the most complete story. His is also the only one set in-continuity. It's cool seeing the old Nakia and Everett K. Ross. McGregor's story is very much a tribute to his era. It's probably the most beautiful of the stories. Hudlin's story felt the least complete as a story. That being said, it's a wonderful tribute to his imagination of the greatness of Wakanda. I also thought the ending had a subtlety that added so much more nuance and complexity to the story than what T'Challa was talking about.

I also want to make a joke that the stories were a tribute to the three loves of T'Challa's life: Storm, Monica Lynne, and Everett K. Ross.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    So I commented recently on the rape camps again as part of my re-read through. I pointed out that there's a lot of ambiguity there. The second example is explicitly an issue caused by the collapse of society on the fringes following the Black Order invasion. The first one is less clear, but there's no indication it was anything other than one person or that the one person couldn't have been punished through the law. Now that I've read World of Wakanda, it's possible to add that contribution. I have no idea if Roxane Gay genuinely consulted with Ta-Nehisi Coates so I don't think one should use that book to retroactively read what Coates wrote, but I do think Gay's work is essentially the current version of the story. So, retcon or not, it's very clear that not only was it one politically important person but that no one in the capital knew about it. Furthermore, the decision to execute him was done unilaterally and that's why she was punished.

I would agree with that. But I would also say that writers should ideally attempt to reconcile both of those concepts because they're both part of the Marvel continuity.

Speaking of the differing versions, I re-read the Annual. I commented on it previously so I don't know what more there is to say. I like the differing takes. Priest definitely had the most complete story. His is also the only one set in-continuity. It's cool seeing the old Nakia and Everett K. Ross. McGregor's story is very much a tribute to his era. It's probably the most beautiful of the stories. Hudlin's story felt the least complete as a story. That being said, it's a wonderful tribute to his imagination of the greatness of Wakanda. I also thought the ending had a subtlety that added so much more nuance and complexity to the story than what T'Challa was talking about.

I also want to make a joke that the stories were a tribute to the three loves of T'Challa's life: Storm, Monica Lynne, and Everett K. Ross.
    The problem with Coates ambiguity and then Gays contribution is that they don't line up. It can't just be one political figure because he was executed early on but there is a fully functional (and fully offensive) rape treehouse we see. Whereas on WoW, it's just in a small village

Ultimate Member

Maybe he needed some kind of overseer. I know editorial interference is often problematic but maybe some other more experienced writer could've overseen him
    That is what an EDITOR is for.

Wil Moss
    Sarah Brunstad
    Tom Brevoort

These are not folks off the street. Especially Tom who accounts for 5000 edited books.

Sarah was the main one doing the editing. The main book, Crew, Shuri, Wakanda Forever, WOW and Rise.

So what was she NOT doing with those books (and America Chavez vol 1) that she did with Squirrel Girl, Black Bolt, Secret Avengers, Thor, Hulk and other books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Lmfao this guy must never have read BP until Coates
    The sad thing is that is a LOT of folks.

Now all you can do is HOPE those folks would go back to read the previous runs.

Also you have a new writer with skins of an Oscar and a black Batman on the wall-so now you have way more folks whose first Panther book might Ridley's.