Page 536 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 36436486526532533534535536537538539540546586636 ... LastLast
Results 8,026 to 8,040 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Not in comic sales wise, no.

You have Spider-Man as an AAA Lister lol.

Then you got peeps like Thor, Cap, Hulk, Deadpool, Logan, Daredevil, Iron Man as "A Listers" aka always have a solo no matter what and they tend to sell rather decently. Of course, you would have the mainline Avenger and X-men book here too.

(then you got punisher in this weird middle ground where he never reaches the peaks of other A listers but dude seems to consistently sell at above cancellation forever)

BP is more in that Strange, Carol, Miles, GoG range.
    The # 1 black superhero in comics, NOT an A lister after a 1 billion dollar movie. Smh I don’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    The # 1 black superhero in comics, NOT an A lister after a 1 billion dollar movie. Smh I don’t like it.
    The lightning in a bottle was 2016 was squandered by Coates bullshittery. Had that been Redjack we would of been on such a better place Solo wise

Ultimate Member

I'd still say he's more A-list than Deadpool or probably a lot of X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I agree mostly. AOW did better than the other spin-offs because they embraced T'Challa and positioned him as a lead both on the cover and the actual story. Sure Okoye was in charge and got lots of time to shine, but T'Challa was right there propping up sales in a way that WOW and Shuri just didn't. It also had the Avengers brand backing it up.

And even AOW did bad commercially lol, BP is not a multi-book brand the way Spider-Man and Batman are. His own book barely stays out the cancellation zone. The only way we get a long term BP secondary book is if it's done with the same strategy as Ms. Marvel which is forget the direct market (or at least do the bare minimum), and then overperform dramatically AND consistently in the indirect market (like Scholastic and digital).

But BP spin-offs can only do that when they're leeching off of MCU/early Coates hype hence why we've seen a slow down in their release since roughly 2019. I expect a new slate of Dora, Shuri, and M'Baku minis early next year. But a legitimate ongoing companion series akin to Detective Comics? Highly unlikely. It can only happen if there's insane interest in the main BP title, which is why the most important thing Marvel needs to do if they want BP to sustain multiple books is make sure the main title is a commercial and critical hit.
    Covid didn't help AoW either. But the spin-offs tied to Coates don't have that excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    A lot of the X-Men? Sure. Easy. The only X-man that can sell a solo consistently is Logan. And his legacy X23 can do it sometimes.

You'll get ramdon solo books for the likes of Gambit, Cable, Magneto, and maybe a couple others but i tis alwys random and short lived. X-men have always been a team franchise and they have been pitiful developing them individually.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Any Wakanda spin-off title has to be tightly connected to the main BP solo. Characters, plots running over etc. No one but a handful of people will care about what's going in in World of Wakanda if it doesn't have anything to do with whatever's going on in BP. Even Agents of Wakanda lasted longer than WoW and they had fewer Wakandans.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I agree mostly. AOW did better than the other spin-offs because they embraced T'Challa and positioned him as a lead both on the cover and the actual story. Sure Okoye was in charge and got lots of time to shine, but T'Challa was right there propping up sales in a way that WOW and Shuri just didn't. It also had the Avengers brand backing it up.

And even AOW did bad commercially lol, BP is not a multi-book brand the way Spider-Man and Batman are. His own book barely stays out the cancellation zone. The only way we get a long term BP secondary book is if it's done with the same strategy as Ms. Marvel which is forget the direct market (or at least do the bare minimum), and then overperform dramatically AND consistently in the indirect market (like Scholastic and digital).

But BP spin-offs can only do that when they're leeching off of MCU/early Coates hype hence why we've seen a slow down in their release since roughly 2019. I expect a new slate of Dora, Shuri, and M'Baku minis early next year. But a legitimate ongoing companion series akin to Detective Comics? Highly unlikely. It can only happen if there's insane interest in the main BP title, which is why the most important thing Marvel needs to do if they want BP to sustain multiple books is make sure the main title is a commercial and critical hit.
    The only way to get BP spin offs is to increase the popularity of BP himself.

The star attraction drags everyone with it. This is what a lot of people miss who want Shuri, Dora, Mbaku, ect books. It only happens if people is a hot product.

Spider-Man can support 10 minis, Miles, Venom, Black Cat minis, Superior Minis, Superior foes of Spider-man and **** because THE STAR ATTRACTION is popular as hell. Same thing happened with Batman.

Is it a coincidence the only X-man that can hold a solo ever outsiide of Wolverine is... X23 lol? Absolutely not.

TEam Wakanda people continually miss this. They think you can push the side character independently and it simply does not work. Not int he comic world.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Is it a coincidence the only X-man that can hold a solo ever outsiide of Wolverine is... X23 lol? Absolutely not.
    Well in terms of solo success she is the only female in that franchise that can't do unlike a certain weather person.

Deadpool NO...

Deadpool is where he is at because his creator LEFT Marvel and other writers took over. He has kept an active book since 2000. He has never been in a lull.

He spawned a book Deadpool and Mercs and 3 of them got books-Foolkiller, Slapstick & Solo. Unfortunately those books came out in the we hate Inhumans, POC, LBGTQA+ and women era of Marvel-so they got ignored.

Deadpool has had consistency something Panther has NOT had. He also had writers folks RESPECTED not one who alienated Panther fans and people in general.

If Marvel invested in Panther like they did Deadpool-it's a different story.

Haven't we tried all this though? I feel like it's proven that none of these supporting characters can hold a title.
    When you don't invest in them-don't expect success.

Supergirl was a supporting cast that got killed off and still came back.
    Lois Lane had a solo that LOL outsold SUPERMAN in the 70s
    Jim Olsen had one too. Mary Jane too. Gotham Central says hi.

Batman, Superman & Spider-Man made those folks interesting and never at the expense of the LEADS.
    Nor did those books become books of worship of one person like Green Lantern or Flash.

Ultimate Member

Spider-Man got more promotion because Marvel didn't seem to care as much about promoting other heroes. As skyvolt2000 said, characters only become popular and successful if Marvel invests in them

Maybe more A-list than Deadpool isn't necessarily correct, but I feel Black Panther is a more well connected or influential character than Deadpool is within the MU

The only way to get BP spin offs is to increase the popularity of BP himself.

The star attraction drags everyone with it. This is what a lot of people miss who want Shuri, Dora, Mbaku, ect books. It only happens if people is a hot product.

Spider-Man can support 10 minis, Miles, Venom, Black Cat minis, Superior Minis, Superior foes of Spider-man and **** because THE STAR ATTRACTION is popular as hell. Same thing happened with Batman.

TEam Wakanda people continually miss this. They think you can push the side character independently and it simply does not work. Not int he comic world.
    I was arguing with a nut on Twitter who claims that he likes wakanda more than black panther and then tried to make a comparison about how Spider-Man and Batman have popular Side characters and villains outside of the main hero so black panther wasn't needed for everyone else to become popular.

People definitely don't understand how this process works and just want to put the cart before the horse

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Spider-Man got more promotion because Marvel didn't seem to care as much about promoting other heroes. As skyvolt2000 said, characters only become popular and successful if Marvel invests in them

Maybe more A-list than Deadpool isn't necessarily correct, but I feel Black Panther is a more well connected or influential character than Deadpool is within the MU
    Inside the MU Tchalla is as Alist as any character.
    In real life he is held back by editors, game developers, and formerly(even currently) tv/movie executives who dont see personal value in the character enough to push him like an alist property.

Deadpool has rabid fans who have power in different industries to get things done. He even had a video game....
    Point men who make sure he gets exposure.
    Black Panther couldn't even get an orgin story in his own movie because the ppl in charge dont have that same rabid mentality or connection to showcase him. Not even a video game after breaking solo movie records, merch was limited, and now a sequel not even featuring him. GOTG is about to have its second video game and it wasn't as successful as Black Panther's movie. Someone with power likes them. Same with Modok and all the exposure he gets

We were so close though. Just bad luck w the ppl in charge plus tragedy.
    Someday he will have a pointman with power though
    Last edited by Ekie; 06-28-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I was arguing with a nut on Twitter who claims that he likes wakanda more than black panther and then tried to make a comparison about how Spider-Man and Batman have popular Side characters and villains outside of the main hero so black panther wasn't needed for everyone else to become popular.

People definitely don't understand how this process works and just want to put the cart before the horse

Was his name Coates?

In real life he is held back by editors, game developers, and formerly(even currently) tv/movie executives who dont see personal value in the character enough to push him like an alist property.

Deadpool has rabid fans who have power in different industries to get things done. He even had a video game....
    Black Panther couldn't even get an orgin story in his own movie because the ppl in charge dont have that same rabid mentality or connection to showcase him. Not even a video game after breaking solo movie records, merch was limited, and now a sequel not even featuring him.

Also they aren't trying to do a Deadpool solo ongoing. Many of his stories are one shots or minis and are done just to be ridiculous. That doesn't work for the majority of characters in the MU.

Mighty Member

Anti-Man.

T'challa wanted to execute him.
    Oh yeah, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't think they plan on introducing Hunter.
    Hmmm,... We'll see. Although I suspect Marvel might pair up Shuri with Bucky romantically. I might be wrong though.

Haven't we tried all this though? I feel like it's proven that none of these supporting characters can hold a title. A Dora book sounds great but how many of these wakanda forever fans from the MC you actually going to go out and support it? Same with Shuri and her three different incarnations.

They're putting out a new "Wakanda" book. I think all these side characters and side groups should all be shoved into that one space for actual development
    Seriously?!?

Should marvel have given up of War machine, Kamala/Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, Ironheart, Ben Reilly, Kaine Parker, Spiderman 2099, Spider woman, Silk, Jane foster, She-Hulk, Falcon and newest Captn Marvel/ Carol and many others after only just one or two attempts?!?

Ultimate Member

Black Panther couldn't even get an orgin story in his own movie because the ppl in charge dont have that same rabid mentality or connection to showcase him. Not even a video game after breaking solo movie records, merch was limited, and now a sequel not even featuring him. GOTG is about to have its second video game and it wasn't as successful as Black Panther's movie

Did BP need an origin story in his own movie. I thought skipping all that made the movie stand out.

Otherwise I agree. But Marvel seemed more hesitant to push minority heroes, and while that's changing, it has far to go

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Oh yeah, thanks.

Hmmm,... We'll see. Although I suspect Marvel might pair up Shuri with Bucky romantically. I might be wrong though.

Seriously?!?

Should marvel have given up of War machine, Kamala/Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, Ironheart, Ben Reilly, Kaine Parker, Spiderman 2099, Spider woman, Silk, Jane foster, She-Hulk, Falcon and newest Captn Marvel/ Carol and many others after only just one or two attempts?!?
    Absolutely not