Page 6 of 496 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 7430
  1. #76
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Why do people always pretend that companies don't like money? Disney would send pipe bombs through the mail if it made them a million bucks a pop.
    never said that, in fact it was Said best in last year's thread. Disney is "Sad" enough to not recast T'Challa but greedy enough to use his franchise to try and get black people money.

    Do you seriously believe that Disney thinks NO ONE can play T'Challa other than Chad? That he was such a trailblazer and worked so hard to show young Black boys a positive role model that the only logical thing to do is to retire said character? Effectively shutting down a the hard work Chad put in?



    Chad's brother knows whats up

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I think it would be a fun idea to play with especially because it then gives the tension as you said and then it flips and shows how Wakanda with a different religion operates. I would read the isht outta it lol
    Yea, we're constantly told how religious the people of Wakanda are but we really don't have a sense of lore for the Panther Cult itself ya know. Where are the holidays, philosophical beliefs, magical principles, etc.?

    All we know about the structure of the Panther Cult is just some offhand statement from the Priest run during Kasper's tenure as BP. And that's not even getting into how little we know about the White Gorilla Cult. An alternate future that explores that has massive potential and I hope we start seeing more Wakanda in stuff like "2099" or "The End".

  3. #78
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Funny, I don't see any complaints about Luke Skywalker replacing T'Challa with that parody. It's not a moot point, the argument was to disparage any and all replacements in the MCU as being wrong. Didn't stop the last thread for dropping the hammer on Shuri replacing T'Challa in the MCU since she was the biggest threat.
    To be fair, all regulars here know Flex is known for dropping bomb ads parody posts that are meant to be funny and not serious. Whereas calls for Shuri, Okoye, Nakia, M'Baku, or Erik to take over are very much serious more often than not when mentioned.

  4. #79
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    never said that, in fact it was Said best in last year's thread. Disney is "Sad" enough to not recast T'Challa but greedy enough to use his franchise to try and get black people money.

    Do you seriously believe that Disney thinks NO ONE can play T'Challa other than Chad? That he was such a trailblazer and worked so hard to show young Black boys a positive role model that the only logical thing to do is to retire said character? Effectively shutting down a the hard work Chad put in?



    Chad's brother knows whats up
    I think that they're terrified to try, scared of any potential backlash, so they punted until later. The fans should make their opinions known and loudly

  5. #80
    The Professional Marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    All Along The Watchtower
    Posts
    12,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    never said that, in fact it was Said best in last year's thread. Disney is "Sad" enough to not recast T'Challa but greedy enough to use his franchise to try and get black people money.

    Do you seriously believe that Disney thinks NO ONE can play T'Challa other than Chad? That he was such a trailblazer and worked so hard to show young Black boys a positive role model that the only logical thing to do is to retire said character? Effectively shutting down a the hard work Chad put in?



    Chad's brother knows whats up
    That will never make sense to me.

    Marvel Studios will honor Chad and all of his work and effort by retiring the character thatso many people admire him for, effectively putting him on the shelf.

    Like I said if they wanted to honor him, set up a scholarship and internship in his name for poc creatives. Name an award after him. But don't put him in the back of the closet and call it honoring him.

  6. #81
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That will never make sense to me.

    Marvel Studios will honor Chad and all of his work and effort by retiring the character thatso many people admire him for, effectively putting him on the shelf.

    Like I said if they wanted to honor him, set up a scholarship and internship in his name for poc creatives. Name an award after him. But don't put him in the back of the closet and call it honoring him.
    The only way it makes sense to me is if Coogler and the rest of the cast truly felt they could not continue the film as originally planned without Boseman. They knew the man and obviously were devastated at his sudden passing, so after only a few weeks/months of deliberation I could definitely buy them still being too heartbroken to recast so soon. Actors, directors, and producers are real people and whatever social value T'Challa has was probably outweighed by the emotional aspect of having lost the man behind the mask.

    Not everyone close to Boseman is gonna have the perspective of his brother, who mourns Chadwick's loss but believes the strongest way to move forward is with a recast. People grieve and respond to death differently, and this could be one of those cases where Coogler felt he's honoring his friend by killing his character off and having someone else carry the baton. It's either the cast didn't want a recast or the executives rejected any attempt at doing so due to fears of bad PR. In a post-COVID economy Disney may be trying to be extra sensitive to any potential backlash from the masses. Which begs the question of where they got the impression that a recast would hurt the sequel's success and why they needed to make a decision either way so soon after Boseman's death.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    In an infinite number of alternate timelines, playing around with dystopian futures can be a lot of fun. That's actually the point of 2099 lol. It's not really about poorly characterizing the franchise or character, just showing one of the many ways they can end up in a dark but interesting place.
    My problem is that in sci-fi in general, and comics in particular, future stories are almost ALWAYS dystopian or post-apocalyptic. It's tired and played out.

    Instead, I would be interested in a Wakanda that went full solarpunk. A reasonably advanced sustainable society that has to adapt to changing environmental and political conditions, but ISN'T decaying, corrupt, or fascistic.

    If you aren't familiar with solarpunk...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarpunk
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SolarPunk

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    My problem is that in sci-fi in general, and comics in particular, future stories are almost ALWAYS dystopian or post-apocalyptic. It's tired and played out.

    Instead, I would be interested in a Wakanda that went full solarpunk. A reasonably advanced sustainable society that has to adapt to changing environmental and political conditions, but ISN'T decaying, corrupt, or fascistic.

    If you aren't familiar with solarpunk...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarpunk
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SolarPunk
    I can agree on the sameness that comes with alternate future storylines, but in terms of BP there haven't really been that many dystopian plots focused around Wakanda specifically. Though I guess if you count the last decade or so of Black Panther appearances you could say Wakanda's been in a dystopian state for a while lol.

    I find the concept behind solarpunk interesting but I've always felt Wakanda met that conventional definition already. Outside the big cities which are more evidently influenced by cyberpunk, Wakanda has a pretty egalitarian structure (Mute Zones, the Jabari-lands, etc.), a focus on a green, sustainable civilization, and is a culturally progressive place excepting one or two ancient traditions. What would a Wakanda that's gone full solarpunk look like in your opinion?

  9. #84
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    11,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    My problem is that in sci-fi in general, and comics in particular, future stories are almost ALWAYS dystopian or post-apocalyptic. It's tired and played out.

    Instead, I would be interested in a Wakanda that went full solarpunk. A reasonably advanced sustainable society that has to adapt to changing environmental and political conditions, but ISN'T decaying, corrupt, or fascistic.

    If you aren't familiar with solarpunk...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solarpunk
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SolarPunk
    Thanks. That would be a great concept, and truly Afrofuturistic. My concept, in light of what you've posted, would be that the Wakanda of my hypothetical 2099 revamp is that kind of solarpunk, Afrofuturistic borderline utopia, with vibranium technology enmeshed and integrated in one form or another with every aspect and form of life there, guided and overseen by the Kimoyo Network, or "Kimonet" for short, which everyone living in Wakanda can connect to via a neural interface. The main problem would be that while Wakanda 2099 is solarpunk, the outside world is cyberpunk, ruled in the highest reaches of those towering skyscrapers in the cities by a handful of corrupt megacorporations and their executives, who are chomping at the bit to finally take Wakanda and all its technological advances for themselves and further cement their domination of the world. Realizing that, Wakanda 2099 recreates Wakanda's ancestral ruler and champion, the Black Panther, through advanced cyber-surgery replacing muscle and nerve fibers with vibranium-laced nanofibers that dramatically increase the Black Panther's strength, speed, agility, reflexes, and senses and an even more advanced Panther Habit, a flexible armored shell designed for maximum mobility.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I find the concept behind solarpunk interesting but I've always felt Wakanda met that conventional definition already. Outside the big cities which are more evidently influenced by cyberpunk, Wakanda has a pretty egalitarian structure (Mute Zones, the Jabari-lands, etc.), a focus on a green, sustainable civilization, and is a culturally progressive place excepting one or two ancient traditions. What would a Wakanda that's gone full solarpunk look like in your opinion?
    Like modern Wakanda, but more so. The great thing about alternate futures is that you don't have to explain why the rest of the world isn't impacted by say... freely available energy or advances in transportation & medicine. There's a trope called "Reed Richards is Useless" that talks about this.

    In a future Wakanda story, "T'Challa Isn't Useless".

    Imagine a Wakanda that, rather than being isolationist or antagonistic, leads the world by example after an environmental collapse. Drama would come from other nations (e.g. Latveria or Bagalia) who decide that they know better, ultratraditionalist factions who want to go back to the way things used to be, and militant fringe elements who've been worshiping an idealized version of Killmonger (getting some of it completely wrong. )

  11. #86
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    11,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Like modern Wakanda, but more so. The great thing about alternate futures is that you don't have to explain why the rest of the world isn't impacted by say... freely available energy or advances in transportation & medicine. There's a trope called "Reed Richards is Useless" that talks about this.

    In a future Wakanda story, "T'Challa Isn't Useless".

    Imagine a Wakanda that, rather than being isolationist or antagonistic, leads the world by example after an environmental collapse. Drama would come from other nations (e.g. Latveria or Bagalia) who decide that they know better, ultratraditionalist factions who want to go back to the way things used to be, and militant fringe elements who've been worshiping an idealized version of Killmonger (getting some of it completely wrong. )
    That's a very good template to follow, too, and can't forget the megacorp-dominated United States of America, if we're looking for drama from other nations deciding they know better or, more cynically, just want to coopt Wakanda's tech and resources for themselves.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a very good template to follow, too, and can't forget the megacorp-dominated United States of America, if we're looking for drama from other nations deciding they know better or, more cynically, just want to coopt Wakanda's tech and resources for themselves.
    I try to avoid the obvious. A cyberpunk US has been done.

  13. #88
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think that they're terrified to try, scared of any potential backlash, so they punted until later. The fans should make their opinions known and loudly
    What's there to be scared about? This is not a character like Brian from fast and furious. T'Challa has existed for 50+ years and existed before Chad was born. He is going to exist after us. How is it we can get multiple batmen, supermen, Spidermen. But somehow a black male character is all of a sudden it's the Highlander now?

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member XJlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I mean more "Why did Narcisse use them (and Winter Soldier) when there are parts of the BP mythos underused?"
    I see. Would you have preferred if he used foreign leaders such as Princess Zanda or M'Butu (Nigandan Prime Minister)? As for Barnes, perhaps have the Red Room hire/blackmail/manipulate someone like Death Tiger as a substitute?

  15. #90
    Ultimate Member Ezyo1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Like modern Wakanda, but more so. The great thing about alternate futures is that you don't have to explain why the rest of the world isn't impacted by say... freely available energy or advances in transportation & medicine. There's a trope called "Reed Richards is Useless" that talks about this.

    In a future Wakanda story, "T'Challa Isn't Useless".

    Imagine a Wakanda that, rather than being isolationist or antagonistic, leads the world by example after an environmental collapse. Drama would come from other nations (e.g. Latveria or Bagalia) who decide that they know better, ultratraditionalist factions who want to go back to the way things used to be, and militant fringe elements who've been worshiping an idealized version of Killmonger (getting some of it completely wrong. )
    Another angle to play on this would be, WWIII break's out. Wakanda picks it's own side. Deciding not to support either side it help the nation's and people who are impacted by the war. There's not a clear good vs evil on either side which is why Wakanda takes a neutral stance. Which super powered people, magic, and everything in between.

    The World is ravaged but Wakanda protects itself with it's advanced technology and staves off the collateral damage of war. The rest of the World essentially nuked and superpowered itself back into the stone age. Wakanda takes the center stage as the world's leading superpower (among others such as latveria, atlantis, etc) and starts sharing their resources and recreating the world with better technology than it ever had.

    Enter 2099 and all the help Wakanda has done has created a problem. Before they were atleast a 50-100 years ahead of the rest of the world. Now? 5-10 years, and not everyone shares their values. How does the Black Panther of this time handle a world that is just about advanced as his nation and the rumblings of a possible WWIV?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •